I make this suggestion based on moving Monahan and Lucic either retiring or being moved.  Kylington and Dube used to get Necas....

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Toffoli

Mangiapane-Backlund-Coleman

Pelletier-Statsny-Necas

Rooney-Ruzicka-Lewis

*(Kylington-Rooney/Ruzicka-Lewis)

Weeger-Ras

Hanifin-Tanev

Zadorov-Meloche

Mackey-Valimaki

Bit of a waste to keep up 2 extra D-men, but unless we get an interesting trade offer, we lose too much experienced depth.  * If we were willing to use Kylington as a winger, we could have Ruzie being the extra F and Rooney sliding over to C.  That would mean trading Valimaki + Dube for Necas.  That might be a better scenario anyway.

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I make this suggestion based on moving Monahan and Lucic either retiring or being moved.  Kylington and Dube used to get Necas....

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Toffoli

Mangiapane-Backlund-Coleman

Pelletier-Statsny-Necas

Rooney-Ruzicka-Lewis

*(Kylington-Rooney/Ruzicka-Lewis)

Weeger-Ras

Hanifin-Tanev

Zadorov-Meloche

Mackey-Valimaki

Bit of a waste to keep up 2 extra D-men, but unless we get an interesting trade offer, we lose too much experienced depth.  * If we were willing to use Kylington as a winger, we could have Ruzie being the extra F and Rooney sliding over to C.  That would mean trading Valimaki + Dube for Necas.  That might be a better scenario anyway.

I hope something changes on the RW…

Im not confident in Toffoil as the the Top line RW…I do like him where he is at on the 2nd line and can step us when and where need…Also I’m not super stoked with Coleman on the 2nd line either, but I definitely like the idea of Necas on the 3rd line RW

Also, I don’t see Hubs as a great fit with Lindholm…

I’m kinda of the mindset:

Hubs/Monahan/ Toffoil 

Manji/Lindholm/ ?????
Coleman/Backlund/ Dube (or Necas)

Lucic/Ruzicka/ Rooney

Lewis

key is to obtain a solid RW to pair with Manji and Lindholm, that’s kinda the current area lacking.

Hubs is a much upgrades Gaudreau and should get Monahan back on track…increase is value for trade or better still get his career back on track and past these injuries…let’s not forget, Monahan was trending up and plying without Gaudreau for his first year.  I can’t help but feel if (huge if) he’s healthy…like truly healthy he can be that top two Ctr again…Hubs can help give that a boost. Monahan showed flashes last year, and seems to have gotten better without the puck after playing 3rd line for Sutter…which I feel if not for being injured he’s have had a much better season…Another thing Cgy got schooled at in the playoffs and nearly cost them a first round exit was their FO without Monahan absolutely sucks…it’s noticeable…the other thing I notice was Monahan and Toffoil seems to have pretty good chemistry but by that point you could tell Monahan was not healthy…but they did seem to connect some regardless.

as for Coleman and Backlund that’s a stud shutdown pair that is also a constant danger to score…adding a guy like Necas could really make that a dangerous yet frustrating line.

I’d love to delete Lucic but it’s just not happening, added to the fact he’s big mean guy when needed, sucks his shot and wheels are not as good as they once

were but he’s still very serviceable as the 4th line LW if…Ruzicka is able to offset his lack of speed and Rooney can help with that it would be a pretty big mean line with some surprises in Ruzicka and possibly Rooney scoring?!

2 hours ago, MP5029 said:

Also, I don’t see Hubs as a great fit with Lindholm…

I’m kinda of the mindset:

Hubs/Monahan/ Toffoil 

Manji/Lindholm/ ?????
Coleman/Backlund/ Dube (or Necas)

Lucic/Ruzicka/ Rooney

Lewis

key is to obtain a solid RW to pair with Manji and Lindholm, that’s kinda the current area lacking.

Forgive me if I question the fit.  Monahan goes from not being able to play top line with Gaudreau and Lindholm to not being able to play on the PP to 4th line.  Now, we are taking our best player and subjecting him to Monahan? 

My lines may not be really any better, but it keeps Mangiapane where he scored 35 goals.  That line was the one that managed to actually stop the other teams from scoring.  It provides Toffoli a playmaker that he's never had here.  The 3rd line is our 2nd scoring line and is used more at home where we control the matchups.  If you like, you can put Necas on the top line over Toffoli and Toffoli stuill has a playmaker and a pretty strong C.  

We don't really have any control over Lucic, but I don't know that he wants to play the final year for $1M after he's already collected his bonus.  He might want to play with Hubie, but he may also want to take the bonus and hang it up.  His right to do so.  Monahan is a must move piece.

For me right now:

Huberdeau - Lindholm - Mang. I'm comfortable with the idea that this spot is open but I like the load it up idea

Coleman - Backlund - Toffoli. 

??? - Monahan - Dube. Really don't like the looks of this. This area needs work

Lucic - Rooney - Lewis. Would be a good hard forechecking line

Weegar - Tanev - Would be my new top pair

Hanifin - Andersson

Z - Kyl/Valimaki/Mackey. Whoever is left and wins the battle in camp. 

Just reallly highlights that the Flames badly need a top 6, or at worst a middle 6, center. 

25 minutes ago, cross16 said:

For me right now:

Huberdau - Lindholm - Mang. I'm comfortable with the idea that this spot is open but I like the load it up idea

Coleman - Backlund - Toffoli. 

??? - Monahan - Dube. Really don't like the looks of this. This area needs work

Lucic - Rooney - Lewis. Would be a good hard forechecking line

Weegar - Tanev - Would be my new top pair

Hanifin - Andersson

Z - Kyl/Valimaki/Mackey. Whoever is left and wins the battle in camp. 

See I like Mangiapane on a separate line just because I am comfortable that he will produce on his own line. Unless we add another top 6 forward we need to spread out the offense a bit. I also think that Huberdeau would help get the most out of Toffoli.

Just now, JTech780 said:

See I like Mangiapane on a separate line just because I am comfortable that he will produce on his own line. Unless we add another top 6 forward we need to spread out the offense a bit. I also think that Huberdeau would help get the most out of Toffoli.

And that rationale makes sense to me. 

I'm a convert to the idea that if you can make an elite line, make it and let them go dominate. I think with Mang on that line they can honestly rival what Gaudreau-Lindholm-Chucky did last year. 

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

And that rationale makes sense to me. 

I'm a convert to the idea that if you can make an elite line, make it and let them go dominate. I think with Mang on that line they can honestly rival what Gaudreau-Lindholm-Chucky did last year. 

Oh for sure and part of me really wonders what Mangiapane can do with elite offensive line mates, because he scored 35 last year playing middle 6 minutes and 2nd PP.

My biggest concern with the team the way it’s constructed is that it’s very thin in the top 9. I am not seeing any of the secondary scoring that we had last season.

I really have no idea what to expect from Monahan. I feel for the guy, injuries have really derailed his career. You hope he can rebound to some sort of version of his former self, but if you are looking to be a playoff team I am not sure you can go into the season counting on him to be a top 9 center.

I really would like to see them add another winger, but at the same time so would like to see Pelletier or Ruzicka be given a chance to earn a full time spot in the top 9. That being said I think there will be more opportunities for them this year as there is no way we are going to avoid injuries like we did last season.

27 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Oh for sure and part of me really wonders what Mangiapane can do with elite offensive line mates, because he scored 35 last year playing middle 6 minutes and 2nd PP.

My biggest concern with the team the way it’s constructed is that it’s very thin in the top 9. I am not seeing any of the secondary scoring that we had last season.

I really have no idea what to expect from Monahan. I feel for the guy, injuries have really derailed his career. You hope he can rebound to some sort of version of his former self, but if you are looking to be a playoff team I am not sure you can go into the season counting on him to be a top 9 center.

I really would like to see them add another winger, but at the same time so would like to see Pelletier or Ruzicka be given a chance to earn a full time spot in the top 9. That being said I think there will be more opportunities for them this year as there is no way we are going to avoid injuries like we did last season.

Well, I somehow doubt that BT is finished with this group of players.  He saw our limitations in the playoffs.  In one trade, he has fixed a couple of problems we had, but that was not part of the original plan.  It's safe to say that Monahan was likely a casualty of the cap and poor play anyway, so it's not too far fetched that he has had some talks about shipping him out.  The immediate focus was dealing with the top 2 players needing deals and go from there.  Next up Mangiapane.

Lucic is less of an issue other than taking up a roster spot while contributing little to the game.  We saw that deficiency in the playoffs.  Not so much in the first round, but contributed to the 2nd round loss.  

If we move out both Monahan and Lucic, then we have two players to replace.  Really it translates to 3C and 3LW.  We can bring in both Pelletier and Ruzicka to play with Toffoli.  The boosts the roster numbers but are we able to have a secondary scoring line?  Assuming Mangiapane on the top line, the Backlund line has less scoring now with Dube and Coleman.

Right now these would be my lines and pairings

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Mangiapane

- It will be impossible to recreate last years top line, but this should be a very good line. All 3 players should score 30.

Coleman-Backlund-Dube

- Backlund/Coleman has been a fantastic duo. Dube has similar traits to Mangiapane which is why I'd give him the promotion. I think Toffoli may end up in the top 6 in reality though.

Pelletier-Ruzicka-Toffoli

- I want the bottom six to get younger. I think Ruzicka proved last year he can play, Pelletier did everything you could ask out of an AHLer. 

Lucic-Monahan-Lewis

-This is all dependant on Monahan's health. If he's not ready to start the season, then Rooney is in the lineup.

Weegar-Tanev

- Like the 4th line, this is dependant on Tanev's availability to open the season. Could be a great shutdown pairing.

Hanifin-Andersson

-Keep that pairing together

Kylington-Zadorov

- This pairing could be an adventure. A lot of risk/reward between these two

In the bottom six I'd think Ruzicka/Monahan/Rooney/Pelletier/ take turns shuttling in and out of the lineup.

On the blueline, Valimaki and Mackey are the extra D.

Still think the Flames have some moves up their sleeve though