Season Predictions

The_People1

44 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

1. Will the Flames make the playoffs?

2. Pacific Division Standings Predictions?

3. Flames Top Three Scorers?

4. Will Gaudreau be traded this season or sign an extension?

1) Yes

2) 

VGK - not a run away, just a consistent team

CGY - team scoring up, goals against down

EDM - 2D and 2G a disaster waiting to happen, but enough wins against garbage teams to squeak in

SEA - Gio on life support hekps them at a crack at Wild Card spot

VAN - goaltending a better pair, but defense still suspect (OEL)

LA - a year early
ANA - a year early

SJS - too little too late

3) Gaudreau, Lindholm, Tkachuk (Eichel??)

4) Extension

7 hours ago, The_People1 said:

1. No

1. VGK
  2. VAN
  3. EDM
  4. SEA
  5. CGY
  6. LAK
  7. SJS
  8. ANA

1. Tkachuk
  2. Lindholm
  3. Gaudreau

4. Traded

1. Yes

1. CGY - Hard to play in a soft division

2. VGK - Trading Fleury becomes a huge mistake

3. EDM - Holland turning them into cap hell Detroit

4. LAK

5. VAN

6. ANA

7. SEA

8. SJS

1. Gaudreau

2. Tkachuk

3. Lindholm

4. Extended

I've come to learn that consensus is really overstated. So when I see it, I generally go in the other direction. Both ANA and LA could be better than anticipated as they slowly get younger and faster. If Lehner gets injured, which he probably will, Vegas' cinderella juggernaut will take a bit of a nosedive.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

1. Yes

1. CGY - Hard to play in a soft division

2. VGK - Trading Fleury becomes a huge mistake

3. EDM - Holland turning them into cap hell Detroit

4. LAK

5. VAN

6. ANA

7. SEA

8. SJS

1. Gaudreau

2. Tkachuk

3. Lindholm

4. Extended

I've come to learn that consensus is really overstated. So when I see it, I generally go in the other direction. Both ANA and LA could be better than anticipated as they slowly get younger and faster. If Lehner gets injured, which he probably will, Vegas' cinderella juggernaut will take a bit of a nosedive.

I’m with you on this except, I think Monahan is too 3 in scoring, otherwise I’m 100% on board with the standings, payoff predictions and Gaudreau being extended.

my top 3 are:

1. Gaudreau

2. Monahan 

3. Tachuck And Lindholm tie, Tachuck for goals, Lindhom for assists 

• Like 1

Yes

1. VGK

2. EDM

3. CGY

4. LA

5. SEA

6. VAN

7.SJ 

8. ANA

1. Gaudrau

2. Tkachuk

3. Lindholm

Extension

Yes

1.Vegas

2. Calgary

3. Seattle

4. Edmonton

5. LA

6. SJ

7. Vancouver

8. Anaheim

1. Tkachuk

2. Gaudreau

3. Lindholm

4. Eichel

Signed

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Yes

1.Vegas

2. Calgary

3. Seattle

4. Edmonton

5. LA

6. SJ

7. Vancouver

8. Anaheim

1. Tkachuk

2. Gaudreau

3. Lindholm

4. Eichel

Signed

Well played my friend, well played.lol

• Like 1

Yes

1. EDM

2. VGK

3. CGY

4. SEA

5. VAN

6. LA

7. ANA

8. SJ

1. Lindholm

2. Mangiapane

3. Gaudreau

Extension

No

2. Pacific Division Standings

1. VGK

2. EDM

3. SEA

4. VAN

5. LA

6. CGY

7. ANA

8. SJ

Top 3 scorers?

1. Tkachuk

2. Lindholm

3. Gaudreau

4. Will Gaudreau sign or be traded?

The Flames trade Gaudreau at the TDL to a Cup contender. The return is a 1st, solid, but not elite prospect and an NHLer to make the cap work

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Well just like that, VGK lose Pacioretty for 6 weeks and Stone... Unknown injury at this time but looks like a groin problem.  Could also be several weeks.  This makes Vegas very beatable for the next 20 games and opens the door completely wide open in the division.

Considering how Valimaki has panned out so far, maybe we should have trace him for Stone.

Naw, I think the issue was re-signing him.

On 10/11/2021 at 10:39 PM, The_People1 said:

1. No

1. EDM  (don't worry they'll blow it in the playoffs)
  2. SEA
  3. SJS
  4. LAK
  5. VGK
  6. VAN
  7. ANA
  8. CGY   (Could finish higher with some strong goaltending)

1. Gaudreau
  2. Tkachuk
  3. Lindholm

4. Walks

My comments above, I'm probably way-over-estimating seatle.

I'm really unsure on how our division plays out this year, I expect it to be tight of course and I expect a lot of changes.  It is a young division (with some exceptions like the Flames) and I think it may do much better than expected against the other divisions.

Things I feel confident on:

Edmonton rocks the regular season and blows the playoffs.

CGY picks top 5 in the NHL draft with a real shot at Shane Wright.   The consolation prizes are good this draft too.

Gaudreau will be interesting.   We all know where he wants to go.  Why would he make them give up assets when he wants to win a cup with them.
         Sure he'd consider staying with the Flames if we were competitive.  But I only see him staying if they surprise me that way.

BT:   I just feel he is already in a corner and this year it will show.  Gaudreau could be us undoing.   
               That's an expensive way to get a new GM.    But, we need an architect.   BT is not an architect.

6 hours ago, jjgallow said:

My comments above, I'm probably way-over-estimating seatle.

I'm really unsure on how our division plays out this year, I expect it to be tight of course and I expect a lot of changes.  It is a young division (with some exceptions like the Flames) and I think it may do much better than expected against the other divisions.

Things I feel confident on:

Edmonton rocks the regular season and blows the playoffs.

CGY picks top 5 in the NHL draft with a real shot at Shane Wright.   The consolation prizes are good this draft too.

Gaudreau will be interesting.   We all know where he wants to go.  Why would he make them give up assets when he wants to win a cup with them.
         Sure he'd consider staying with the Flames if we were competitive.  But I only see him staying if they surprise me that way.

BT:   I just feel he is already in a corner and this year it will show.  Gaudreau could be us undoing.   
               That's an expensive way to get a new GM.    But, we need an architect.   BT is not an architect.

I wish we pick top 5 but there's too much competition in the bottom of the league this season.  Only bright spot is the Flames always plays down to their opponents so when they face weaker teams, they don't show up.  When it's against the better teams, then Flames win those.  We've got a lot of weak teams in our division.

21 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I wish we pick top 5 but there's too much competition in the bottom of the league this season.  Only bright spot is the Flames always plays down to their opponents so when they face weaker teams, they don't show up.  When it's against the better teams, then Flames win those.  We've got a lot of weak teams in our division.

the top 6 is still a bit of a mess, and when the top 6 is over loaded, the “3rd” line suffers, especially by having Lucic on the LW. 

for me, I liked the effort and I  just think we tend to keep to the outside too much. It’s harder to score from the perimeter. So like in other years, it’s great to have the puck more than other teams, now I want to see ya get bodies into the tough areas…

for those that love fancy stats, it was a good win tonight! 

and my “win” was that an effort was there. I want to see more from the top6. Or get Backlund some guys to play with. Lucic and Lewis doesn’t cut it. Not saying Backs is a god, just that we are now starting to waste his talent. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Just a guess on my part, I don't admit to know.    But, teams like the Sabres, Wings, Devils that we perrenially count on to lose, are coming out really strong-like.

We picked 12th last year and the other 11 teams above us were for the most part a lot younger and made big steps to improve over the offseason.   I can't say we did.    Do we stack up well against Buffalo, New Jersey?  Teams dripping with talent and entering their prime?   Sure doesn't look it right now.  I don't see how we finish better than the teams that finished last a year ago.

Still...sure.  Maybe some.  Anaheim, Columbus...still messy.   Enough to keep us from picking top 5?   My guess, and yes it is a guess.... we are in that top 5 this next draft and top 3 the draft after.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

Just a guess on my part, I don't admit to know.    But, teams like the Sabres, Wings, Devils that we perrenially count on to lose, are coming out really strong-like.

We picked 12th last year and the other 11 teams above us were for the most part a lot younger and made big steps to improve over the offseason.   I can't say we did.    Do we stack up well against Buffalo, New Jersey?  Teams dripping with talent and entering their prime?   Sure doesn't look it right now.  I don't see how we finish better than the teams that finished last a year ago.

Still...sure.  Maybe some.  Anaheim, Columbus...still messy.   Enough to keep us from picking top 5?   My guess, and yes it is a guess.... we are in that top 5 this next draft and top 3 the draft after.

I think we are still better than that. The thing about us is that we start off slow, then catch a bunch of sleeping teams, win 9 games and then go .500. Then it gets hard to play and we fold. Can we transcend that? That’s the question…

I think it’s how it plays out and maybe a few teams end up with injury problems and we get in. Then we have hope.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I think we are still better than that. The thing about us is that we start off slow, then catch a bunch of sleeping teams, win 9 games and then go .500. Then it gets hard to play and we fold. Can we transcend that? That’s the question…

I think it’s how it plays out and maybe a few teams end up with injury problems and we get in. Then we have hope.

well...  hope is good.

11 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Hard to say how we match up to the weak sisters of the league, or most of the league for that matter.

Last year we played exactly zero games against the non-Canadian teams.

Two years ago we were on the bubble and had a so-so playoff.

How can you really predict us struggling with teams because that we did so little and everyone else did so right?

The last year we played east teams, we played well against them.

Some exceptions.

I can't see results ending up with us having way more losses than wins.

Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Lindholm, Mangiapane, Backlund, Hanifin, Tanev, Ras and Markstrom would have to have complete meltdowns.

That's how you get into the bottom 5.

Even a meh season would not be any worse than a 500 win record, good for around 82 points....17-22 range.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Hard to say how we match up to the weak sisters of the league, or most of the league for that matter.

Last year we played exactly zero games against the non-Canadian teams.

Two years ago we were on the bubble and had a so-so playoff.

How can you really predict us struggling with teams because that we did so little and everyone else did so right?

The last year we played east teams, we played well against them.

Some exceptions.

I can't see results ending up with us having way more losses than wins.

Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Lindholm, Mangiapane, Backlund, Hanifin, Tanev, Ras and Markstrom would have to have complete meltdowns.

That's how you get into the bottom 5.

Even a meh season would not be any worse than a 500 win record, good for around 82 points....17-22 range.

I tellya what haha...I've put my prediction in, admittedly it's a guess that I wouldn't bet money on.    But I do have reasons for the guess.

Given we're watching hockey now I won't bore people with all my reasons.

Come trade deadline, I'll either answer this in full, or admit it didn't work out like I thought.    I kind of think that's the next time to be an a hole.   Just prior to trade deadline, and the off-season.   The decision times.   Now is less about decisions and more about watching or playing hockey.

47 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I tellya what haha...I've put my prediction in, admittedly it's a guess that I wouldn't bet money on.    But I do have reasons for the guess.

Given we're watching hockey now I won't bore people with all my reasons.

Come trade deadline, I'll either answer this in full, or admit it didn't work out like I thought.    I kind of think that's the next time to be an a hole.   Just prior to trade deadline, and the off-season.   The decision times.   Now is less about decisions and more about watching or playing hockey.

Yeah, we both have our predictions and guesses in.

Was just commenting the same way you were commenting.

With all the changes to all of the teams over the last 5 years, our worst points % was last year, basically the equivalent of 81 points.

Maybe that is bottom 5 equivalent this year, but I seriously doubt it.

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Yeah, we both have our predictions and guesses in.

Was just commenting the same way you were commenting.

With all the changes to all of the teams over the last 5 years, our worst points % was last year, basically the equivalent of 81 points.

Maybe that is bottom 5 equivalent this year, but I seriously doubt it.

the only thing I can see is if the trend downward continues we’d be a point or two less. But I think we end up around 90-94 point… possibly in.

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

the only thing I can see is if the trend downward continues we’d be a point or two less. But I think we end up around 90-94 point… possibly in.

I know it's early yet, but I expect that we will have a lot less of those games where we think they haven't shown up.

That was my biggest complaint about the games we lost, that we looked less engaged or unwilling to do the things you needed to do.

This is the first year in awhile that we don't have a narrative taking away from the season.

Well, so far of course.

19/20 - BP scandal, replace him mid-season with a coach that wasn't ready, Tkachuk-Kassian crap, Lucic thinking about retiring, season put on hold for months right when it seemed like we were getting it together

20/21 - Wardo hired as full time coach and we get laclustre play, Bennett wanting a trade, Tkachuk's tantrum, Wardo firing, Bennett trade, Sutter coaching style, hybrid NHL season playing teams 9-10 times each

Late to the party for predictions but what the hell i will give it a shot for what its worth, I really like everyone's comments, lots of straight opinions and comments well placed.

• No but still on the bubble so really optimistic, I am hoping they do but still think missing pieces needed for improvement.
  • Dare I say EDM might even take first spot, until teams figure a way to not take penalty's or stop McLottoball.

• EDM "hurts to type this"
  • VGK
  • VAN
  • SEA
  • LAK
  • CGY
  • ANA
  • SJS

• Tkachuk
  • Monahan
  • Lindholm

I hope so, but doubt it, he is lost confidence makes too many "rushed" get rid of the puck before he gets hit moves. "I miss the old Gaudreau"

• Like 1