Season Predictions

The_People1

28 minutes ago, rocketdoctor said:

So 15 games in and all our predictions look like the Vancouver GMs off season dealings.....

Anaheim - most people had pegged for 7/8th currently in 2nd!

Seattle - most people had around 4th - not looking good for them.

Long way to go though.

Anaheim is a surprise.

LA is about what I expected.

Seattle is bad like Van.

Seattle will end up trading Gio for something, but he isn't looking like great value yet.

That team is making Gru look bad.

15 minutes ago, rocketdoctor said:

So 15 games in and all our predictions look like the Vancouver GMs off season dealings.....

Anaheim - most people had pegged for 7/8th currently in 2nd!

Seattle - most people had around 4th - not looking good for them.

Long way to go though.

Still early but some early surprises for sure.

SEA looks like they won't live up to the bar set by VGK.  I thought their G and D would be better than it's shown but no.

VAN doesn't have it either.  Most importantly, it's the way they play.  Comparing to the Flames, the Flames control play and out-chance their opponents about 60:40.  The math over 82-games is favorable even if the Flames have average scoring talents.  The Canucks on the other hand, are out played 40:60 so they have to rely on Vezina goaltending and timely counter attack.  Math doesn't favour them over 82-games.  When the Flames lose, you walk away confident that it's just a matter of some bounces.  When the Canucks lose, they screaming at firing the coach and GM because they lose games looking like they never belonged on the ice in the first place.

ANA has been surprising.  The Getzlaf-Terry combo is ripping it up and allowing Zegras to play sheltered minutes.  Their D is also emerging as one of the best in the NHL... so much offense and transition abilities.  This was overlooked by many.

As for the Flames, things are going great.  We've discovered Kylington, a secret weapon we didn't know we had.  Mangiapane making a name for himself league wide.  Vladar is also legit and will give us 5 to 10 wins that we didn't get last season from Rittich which is huge.  Markstrom can be well rested whole season.  These all add up to help us make the playoffs in what has suddenly become a decent division.  The division isn't as bad as originally thought.

6 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

So ANA is #1 in the division after 8 straight wins.  Who would've thought.

Between Troy Terry and Zegras, they are killing it.

They still have two elite D plus an elite G.

I hope they hang on to Gibson.

And only consider trading Lindholm or Fowler to us.

Getzlaf is laughing.

24 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Between Troy Terry and Zegras, they are killing it.

They still have two elite D plus an elite G.

I hope they hang on to Gibson.

And only consider trading Lindholm or Fowler to us.

Getzlaf is laughing.

wow! Terry was drafted in the 5th round! I guess that’s like our Mang! But always wish we nabbed guys like that, and interesting when you know it was a possibility 

we picked Kaurnakhov that year…

6 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

wow! Terry was drafted in the 5th round! I guess that’s like our Mang! But always wish we nabbed guys like that, and interesting when you know it was a possibility 

we picked Kaurnakhov that year…

Ya whatever happened to Kaurankhov?  He was good on the Hitmen and had bottom 6 potential at the NHL level.  Fast.  Hits.  Was a Garnett Hathaway/Walker Deuhr type.  

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Ya whatever happened to Kaurankhov?  He was good on the Hitmen and had bottom 6 potential at the NHL level.  Fast.  Hits.  Was a Garnett Hathaway/Walker Deuhr type.  

Playing with CKSA Moscow a team featuring former Flame legends Nestorov and Nordstrom, and former draft pick John Gilmour.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

How about good ole Rushan Rafikov?

Drafted in the 7th round of 2013.

8 years in the KHL and a pretty steady D-man.

Boy, by far the biggest surprise in the NHL thus far after 20-games is the Calgary Flames.  Top three in the NHL after 20, pretty sure no pundits predicted this.  (I would not have been equally surprised if we were in the bottom 3).

Futhermore, Flames with 7 shutouts in 20-games, that's more SO's than some teams have wins.  Seven teams so far have less than 7 wins in their season.  

Impressive team defense that combines full ice pressure/forechecking and smart puck management to win the possession game.  What we are seeing is the Flames controlling the play 60:40.. and that translates to shots 6-to-4, scoring chances 6-to-4, etc.  Even without elite high end skills, the math simply favours the Flames over the course of a season.

Sure the Flames have lost "periods" but overall, for the first time in many years, losing games made us feel like "if they just keep playing this way the rest of the year, then they are going to win more than they lose".

First 20-games, many teams in the league are just getting warmed up so it's going to be exciting to see if the Flames can keep this up the rest of the way.

A decent writeup on SN.  It sounds a lot of what Sutter talks about in his media scrums.

He always calls it checking, not defensive play.

He refers to defensive play references as so old school, not what the modern game is.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/analyzing-the-flames-and-the-difference-between-defence-and-checking/

This video is in the story, in case you don't want to read it.

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:

A decent writeup on SN.  It sounds a lot of what Sutter talks about in his media scrums.

He always calls it checking, not defensive play.

He refers to defensive play references as so old school, not what the modern game is.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/analyzing-the-flames-and-the-difference-between-defence-and-checking/

This video is in the story, in case you don't want to read it.

I always wondered why we never checked. And you look at the year Sullivan took over as coach in Pittsburgh, they checked so fast and it’s what I feel id try to say, but I’m not as elegant in my descriptions… not like a lot of the posters on here.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

I always wondered why we never checked. And you look at the year Sullivan took over as coach in Pittsburgh, they checked so fast and it’s what I feel id try to say, but I’m not as elegant in my descriptions… not like a lot of the posters on here.

It is all about checking. The team exceeds my expectations although I expected us to be a lot more competitive coming in.

I've always been quick to praise the offseason moves. Not Gud at all, but my hat goes off to him.

We have a competitive bottom 6 for the first time in forever. Real NHL players.

Everyone plays the same. Checking and puck pursuit. Keep the play to the boards, keep checking and try to cut the ice down to the opponents 3rd of the ice.

It is Sutter hockey to a tee.

Needed players that know how to play it. Not Ryan's. Pitlick's and Lewis'. Z gets the nod over Vali because every player needs to be physical. Every puck is a hard battle.

It's hard to sustain that play until the players see the results. I think that's why Lewis and Richardson were brought in. To tell everyone, "guys, this works, and it gets easier when it works".

Boring Sutter 2-1, 3-2 games is a misconception. Play hard and the right way is really all that it is. Personal stats mean zero if everyone just plays the same way.

This is how you have to play to win games. The team now understands that so hockey is actually fun again, not frustrating.

We have something we've sorely lacked, an identity. Teams need to bring their best now because the Flames have now set their standard bar.

It's hellafun to watch. Especially seeing Johnny frustration-free for the first time ever.

That 4th line is scary on the forecheck.lol

I have zero probs with Pitlick on the 3rd line. Everyone's play away from the puck has been stellar most nights. Backlund in particular is doing everything I want to see.

Dube needs to get comfortable at LW still, is all that I can think of to improve..

• 3 weeks later...

No games but it is the 15th of the month so time for some bragging rights.....

Sak22 consolidates his 1st spot with a solid 4 points in the last 4 weeks giving him a top 9 points.

TD sparkles with 6 points to bring him into 2nd with a total of 7 points.

Redfire with a good 4 and RD with a poor 2 are in third with 6 points.

We have 4 rear gunners - Peeps, Brewcrew, JJ and Medats all with 2 points.

8f565d542b43b94c9f5a74f715c7f087.png

On 11/15/2021 at 3:04 PM, rocketdoctor said:

6f59b8e5d269e09d3f8f0b24c8070e8f.png

03a633225d441f9f95936e9a6019fef5.png

Wow RD! This is cool man! I want in next season if you're still doing it!! :)

And JJ, naturally you have the flames finishing LAST lol - you crack me up buddy! Don't get me wrong, I wasn't sure what we were going to be this year myself, but I would've guessed SJ/LA/ANA would be jockying for position at the bottom of the standings (with the potential for us to get sucked in there). 

• 1 month later...

With the cancellation of a ton of games the negative nancies get some points as we are currently not in a playoff position based on points!

so time for some bragging rights.....

Sak22 consolidates his 1st spot with a firm 3 points giving him a top 12 points.

Cross and JJ with the best scores of the last 4 weeks with soldi 4 point.

TD with a steady 2 points keeps himself 2nd overall with 9 points

Redfire and Cross are in third with 8 points.

2 bringing up the rear - Brewcrew and Medats with 4 points.

a764ebbddf6fa6822a069836f53e787c.png

60b43c69c5ebed10f8cdbd0867193b30.png

• Like 2