UFA 2021

robrob74

I don’t think anyone is going to like the contact but at the same time Coleman is a heck of a player and a really good fit for the Flames too in terms of skill set. Borderline elite two way players who can still score goals. I can stomach overpaying for good player and good fits.

The only thing that worries me with Coleman is he’s another LS mostly LW so how do you make everyone else fit?

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

I don’t think anyone is going to like the contact but at the same time Coleman is a heck of a player and a really good fit for the Flames too in terms of skill set. Borderline elite two way players who can still score goals. I can stomach overpaying for good player and good fits.

The only thing that worries me with Coleman is he’s another LS mostly LW so how do you make everyone else fit?

Yeah, that is my worry about him (LHS).

Hyman made more sense to us.

My guess is Coleman something close to $5m x 6 years if he comes to CGY.

I don't see us going higher, maybe term could be 7, but I don't see any higher a cap hit.

7 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Wasn't he a C in NJ? I thought TBay moved him to wing for fit. Could be wrong...

10 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Wasn't he a C in NJ? I thought TBay moved him to wing for fit. Could be wrong...

I thought he was was a bit of everywhere in NJ but mostly on the wing. 

Looks that way when I look at his line combinations. Some time at center, but mostly on the wing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MP5029 said:

That’s Theo thing I was thinking he’s gonna be 30 soon so him and Tanev 30+ I’m not a huge fan of…another option may be Ceci (sp?) maybe? 

Hamilton would be one of their better moves imho, just not enough given his age and softness but still very good out of what's available.

They have to see how a number of qualifying offers go, $13m cap space sounds like a lot but it isn't really.

Canadian teams, especially those other than Toronto and Vancouver, will rarely fair well with FA signings.  It's not a good strategy for them.  the Flames let half a dozen defencemen and goalies go in this recent draft who would have been contributors in 2 years, possibly less.   The defencemen would have required some moves, the goalie they just outright passed on.   While many think that's too long, IMHO that was absolutely the fastest way to properly address their issues and at the same time it was the right pieces for the next generation.

So I honestly don't know now.   If history tells us anything, BT will get us....someone.   Usually someone who falls short of what we really need, but plugs some holes.   The number of holes is growing fast though.

8 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I like McGinn at the right price. 

7 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Not the most reliable source.

4.9 Bananas per year or over the course of the deal?

Big difference there and thanks to inflation fruit ain't cheap...

Just now, cross16 said:

WOW..... I'm surprised

He didn't mention the banana's though.

Good signing, just need to see the term and AAV. He will fit Sutter's system very well.

I do wonder if there is a bigger trade in the works.

2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Good signing, just need to see the term and AAV. He will fit Sutter's system very well.

Feels like there has to be. It's a pretty crowded forward group of similar skill sets.

Still weaker down the middle too. 

5 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

This could be good or bad…kinda depends on $$$ and term and if there are any clauses…ouch! Term sucks 6 years, AAV under 5 at 4.9 so that’s digestible, no clauses listed yet…gotta be thinking Lucic could be going or someone anyway, I can see a trade or two to make theses things fit…maybe Backlund on the move and Coleman the replacement? 

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Still think the Flames have work to do and you can very much argue if they are better, but what you can't argue is Sutter' is getting the type of team he wants. All of these players are very good fits for how he wants to play

Yup 100% no doubt this is Sutters show (all be it behind the scenes) but I’m kinda liking it so far, Coleman I’m 50/50 on but a few vets are important…hopefully this is a sign that Lucic is going