Matthew Tkachuk

MP5029

Can someone please rename this thread, or at the very least delete this thread and create a new one where Matthew Tkachuk's name is spelled correctly. 

It drives me crazy every time I get a notification for this thread and see his name just butchered. 

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

An old thread, but hate to start a new one just to post this:

Tkachuk fine $5k for high stick on Klingberg.  It was a penalty.  It was a careless use of his stick not intentional at all.  At least I didn't see it that way.  Sure it's a penalty every time.  But fines now for minor penalties?

NHL is sending him a message for chirping the officials.  Nothing more or less.  BT needs to contact the NHL and blast them for this.  It's blatant CGY hating.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

An old thread, but hate to start a new one just to post this:

Tkachuk fine $5k for high stick on Klingberg.  It was a penalty.  It was a careless use of his stick not intentional at all.  At least I didn't see it that way.  Sure it's a penalty every time.  But fines now for minor penalties?

NHL is sending him a message for chirping the officials.  Nothing more or less.  BT needs to contact the NHL and blast them for this.  It's blatant CGY hating.

Absolutely. If the fine was based on the infraction then Benn and Comeau would be $5000 lighter, as would how many players already this year?

That being said Chuckys gotta keep the s**t talking to the other team, not the officials.

2 hours ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Absolutely. If the fine was based on the infraction then Benn and Comeau would be $5000 lighter, as would how many players already this year?

That being said Chuckys gotta keep the s**t talking to the other team, not the officials.

I saw the replay on TSN tonight.

It did seem a little worse than I suspected.

It might have been innocent, but the video evidence doesn;t make him look that way.

Regardless, how may times have you seen a high stick called as a fine?

Never?

16 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I saw the replay on TSN tonight.

It did seem a little worse than I suspected.

It might have been innocent, but the video evidence doesn;t make him look that way.

Regardless, how may times have you seen a high stick called as a fine?

Never?

That was a dangerous cheapshot actually.  Tkachuk knew exactly where Klingberg was even though he was facing away from him.  Tkachuk tried to sell it like he didn't even see him.  His reaction to the penalty actually said all we need to know.  He got caught and doubled down. 

We need these kinds of intentional swings at the head out of the game.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

That was a dangerous cheapshot actually.  Tkachuk new exactly where Klingberg was even though he was facing away from him.  Tkachuk tried to sell it like he didn't even see him.  His reaction to the penalty actually said all we need to know.  He got caught and doubled down. 

We need these kinds of intentional swings at the head out of the game.

I hate to admit it but the NHLPS got it right.

I had originally thought it was a play on the puck or something like that.

But it was aimed high, not deflected high.

51 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I hate to admit it but the NHLPS got it right.

I had originally thought it was a play on the puck or something like that.

But it was aimed high, not deflected high.

I'm sure Sutter will have a word with him about focusing his shenanigans properly.  We'll see how Chucky reacts.

27 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

I'm sure Sutter will have a word with him about focusing his shenanigans properly.  We'll see how Chucky reacts.

Johnny used to get distracted like that when missed calls went by or he got shoved into the boards.

He doesn't whine now and he's that much better for it.

Gets most calls now.

Doesn't get off his game.

Lets a big guy deal out the punishment, and w have enough of those.

Tkachuk doesn't need to step over the edge even if he is the one to step up.

Tkachuk's worst enemy is the media.

There is always some story about him.

The "almost" trade.

The closed door meeting.

The Kassian incident.

The Doubty incident.

The Detroit incident.

Guys like Francis poke the bear and he responds showing his frustration or disappears entirely.

Find that edge and stick to it.

Effective player and skilled goal scorer when he's not hamming it up.

Maybe some perspective from my ON friends when I rant on Tkachuk.

Typical reactions:

"What"?

"You wanna trade him? Are you DD"?

"He's the best guy in the league at that Satoshi Nakamoto."

"You can't replace what he does".

Due to jr competition, I've always hated him. But my friends and family are right. Having watched a few games pointing out his bad, they showed me his good at what he does. I was overwhelmed. His bro is a Captain and he's a shadow of Matt.

Colour me convinced that we hyperbolize the bad and overlook the one-of-a-kind good. Or at least top of the class for that style of  game. Everyone wants one.

I was kindly reminded of the 40-goal Neal-Hornqvist trade. How I was the only one saying Hornqvist is better because he'll score 20-25 dirty ones. So that was thrown in my face. "Tkachuk will score 30 dirty ones. hahaha, you want him gone hahaha".

Great perspective.

Alright, him and Johnny, $9 each. Worth it.

13 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Typical reactions:

"What"?

Due to jr competition, I've always hated him. But my friends and family are right. Having watched a few games pointing out his bad, they showed me his good at what he does. I was overwhelmed. His bro is a Captain and he's a shadow of Matt.

Colour me convinced that we hyperbolize the bad and overlook the one-of-a-kind good. Or at least top of the class for that style of  game. Everyone wants one.

I was kindly reminded of the 40-goal Neal-Hornqvist trade. How I was the only one saying Hornqvist is better because he'll score 20-25 dirty ones. So that was thrown in my face. "Tkachuk will score 30 dirty ones. hahaha, you want him gone hahaha".

Great perspective.

Maybe they watch the flames every night, maybe they don’t. Maybe some of us are being too critical. I feel we watch him every night so we know it’s not an every game thing. We understand his shortcomings. He has a lot of hockey iq and skill, but he doesn’t bring it every game but wants to be paid like he does. And he’s going to have entitlement issues in negotiations.

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

Maybe they watch the flames every night, maybe they don’t. Maybe some of us are being too critical. I feel we watch him every night so we know it’s not an every game thing. We understand his shortcomings. He has a lot of hockey iq and skill, but he doesn’t bring it every game but wants to be paid like he does. And he’s going to have entitlement issues in negotiations.

We've been watching together. Hence, perspective outside of the Flames fan clergy of opinion. Who's beating up the other team's crease in the whole NHL right now?

You play hockey. Are you D?

Imagine playing that guy. Always giving you the little jab, the extra little crosscheck, the mouth, the attitude, jamming your goalie, every piece of low-key Satoshi Nakamoto he can do.

Now imagine, he's also a massive scoring threat and great passer.

If that isn't enough, he's 23. He's still perfecting what he's already the best at in the entire league.

Sign me up for that Satoshi Nakamoto.

The thing around trading Tkachuk has nothing at all to do with his skill or style of play. I wouldn’t want to have the Flames play against him. Last night he showed what he is capable of. As he matures he may get more consistent at doing that night in and night out.

There are 3 main reasons why Tkachuk could / should be traded:

1. He is a high value asset that must bring back a high value return. You are looking at getting an equal player in return or a high impact player plus. Which leads to….

2. Calgary currently has a glut of LW talent both on the team and in the pipeline. C is not top notch (no McDavid, MacKinnon etc.) but with Lindholm, Backlund, Monahan etc. it is above average. If Calgary were to trade Tkachuk for a top RW (I know he is currently there) or an upgrade at C then it would be a win.

3. The Flames are tight to the cap going into next season needing to re-sign Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Mangiapane and Kylington plus decide on keeping or replacing Pitlick, Lewis, Richardson, Zadorov, Gudbranson, Stone and Ritchie. If expectations stand that the cap remains flat, without making other trades, the Flames have just under 28.5 cap space to do the above. The way he is playing, Kylington gets no less than Valimaki at 1.5 and possibly more. Mangiapane likely in the Coleman plus range so around 5. Those are the easy ones. If both Gaudreau and and Tkachuk re-sign for 9 (Tkachuk may hold out for more), that leaves 4 mil to fill 6 spots (3F and 3 D). In theory could be 2 D but still. Each of the spots need to be filled essentially with league minimum including 1 middle 6 forward and 1 regular D. This makes it difficult to fill holes.

So cap wise you are most likely needing to move 1 of Tkachuk or Gaudreau or risk losing at least 1 for nothing. If we had an extra year to see the Monahan and Lucic contracts going down, then it would be much easier. Lucic is still good at the 1.5-2 range and based on last year and so far this year, Monahan around 3 would be fair. That would be around 7 mil in cap savings with only Duehr, Valimaki and Vladar looking at negotiating but not likely needing big changes at this rate. Sadly that is a year too far to be useful in this case.

Don’t forget also that the punishment Tkachuk takes for his style of play will likely shorten his career and he knows it, so looking to get max cash as soon as possible.

So any thoughts around trading Tkachuk has nothing at all to do with the player himself but for what would be the best for the team moving forward due to cap issues and having a more balanced team (not following Edmonton or Toronto with a few high contracts and little to fill in the rest). I would love to be able to be loyal to all of our players, but that can’t always happen in a cap era. It can be done by trading Monahan or Lucic, but then where is our loyalty to them?

• Like 1

Last night aside (and he was a difference maker big time) my problem with Tkachuk is that he appears so disinterested for long periods of a game(s).  He has started to take petulent penatlies in recent games and the one he took early tonight was another stupid penalty to take and could have shifted momentum towards the Rags.  He has also been largely invisible in the playoffs.

If we get the Tkachuk we saw against the Rangers on a regular consistient basis then it would be great to keep him but  as bosn111 has pointed out I am not sure the numbers work and we know the Tkachuks will not take a discount to help towards a championship.  The showboating skills when they come off looked fantastic but I for one would cash in on Tkachuk now and send him to the East.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Typical reactions:

"What"?

Great perspective.

The salar risks are the big problems for me.

And that's not all his fault.

BT was unable to get a longer deal, at the time it was a cap crunch (Capt'n Crunch - new name for him?).

Tkachuk wanted to maximize his options.

Next year is a problem for the Flames.

$28.5m cap and a bunch of players needing deals.

We wouldn't move Tkachuk or Mangiapane or Gaudreau, and now we have to resolve that.

If you are keeping all three then you need to look at the rest of the roster.

Hanifin and Zaddy and Guddy and Valimaki and Lucic and Backlund and Monahan.

One is playing a top pair role but has 2nd pairing results at times.

Two are playing 3rd pairing.

The 3rd D is getting scratched, but that is what it is.

Backlund is aging and may be starting to hit the wall.

Early results, but the offense is slipping.

Monahan is playing 4th line C, but could come back to normal.

Lucic is playing a valuable role, but >$5m for a 3rd or 4th liner is high.

I don't know how we resolve the costs with the guys we need to resign or keep.

Mangiapane, Tkachuk, Gaudreau, Kylington make us harder to compete against.

Zaddy, Lucic and Guddy are nasty to play against.

Backlund and Monahan can be top C for their roles.

We don't have a replacement yet for Backlund and no real #2C to replace Monahan.

We have been criminally easy to play against without Zaddy and Guddy.

Lucic is the nuclear threat.

If we had growth from Kylington and Valimaki, then we could trade Hanifin.

We should keep at least one of Zaddy or Guddy.

It's tough.