Matthew Tkachuk

MP5029

Ok so first of all, I know we have what’s best for Mathew Tachuck thread but it’s super old and not really fitting for a general player thread as if memory serves it was built for when he was a rookie for the most part so I decided to start this thread for him as an established player...

MODs please feel free to modify this/merge it or whatever you feel is best, but there is a general discussion regarding Mathew Tachuck I would like to get going:

So question for all, why the heck is Mathew Tachuck putting all the pressure and taking responsibility for the team’s play? Sounds more like a thing a real leader and Team captain should be doing...Don’t get me wrong it’s good that he is, someone on this team needs to, it should be Gio but it’s not!!!

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/flames-tkachuk-i-m-putting-all-the-pressure-on-myself-to-turn-things-around-here~2143766

having said that, it’s time to change the leadership group of this team, I’m absolutely fed up with Gio, he’s not much of a leader, heck I even noticed the media has a tendency to ask other players for their opinion over Gio...a few years ago it was all Gio but not now...there is a reason for it much like why Tachuck is taking responsibility for this team not Gio...

it’s time to make Tachuck the captain (and also move Gio to the bottom 3rd d pair) 

it’s time to change many things but definitely the C needs to go to Tachuck he’s definitely ready, and Gio definitely seems ready to step aside being as he’s not saying or doing much leading now anyways.

• Like 2

Just now, cupthug89 said:

Chucky has been invisible most the season , definitely not ready to be captain imo , not backing gio either 

Well truth be told the entire team has been invisible...

also, wait and see, I have feeling he’s gonna do what he says and the team will follow...wait for it....

I think he’s been simply being respectful of the current leaders of the team but he’s done and is ready to lead this team regardless of what letter he may or may not have on his jersey.

I don’t think the comments he made today speak of a true leader. I think I see what he was trying to do, deflect the criticism, but when you aren’t playing well it should never be 1 player that pulls you out. Has to be a team and a group thing. 

Don’t get me wrong I am a huge Tkachuk fan but I think he has work to do in the leadership area. 

I applaud him for stepping up, speaking his mind, showing he cares. Sure, his play hasn’t been great this year thus far - he’s also playing with a new line mate in Lindy so maybe chemistry is slow brewing there, but I don’t hear anyone else willing to put the team on their back. Gio is a good leader. Does the right thing, says the right thing - protects the team when they play poorly by looking at the positives and saying “they’re getting there”. But you also need people who call a spade a spade, and call people out when they’re holding the team back. I know hockey has changed from the past, but all of these stories of Messier in the dressing room and promising the media they were going to win the next game when they went down in the SCF, leaders that raise the bar of expectation for the room, leaders that drag their team into the battle (Iggy with “the shift”) - those are good things. Tkachuk may or may not be ready to be captain, but he’s seemingly stepping up to the plate when everyone else seems to be stepping back. For that, he gets my respect and applause. Good on you Chucky. I’d follow you into battle. 

10 hours ago, lou44291 said:

I applaud him for stepping up, speaking his mind, showing he cares. Sure, his play hasn’t been great this year thus far - he’s also playing with a new line mate in Lindy so maybe chemistry is slow brewing there, but I don’t hear anyone else willing to put the team on their back. Gio is a good leader. Does the right thing, says the right thing - protects the team when they play poorly by looking at the positives and saying “they’re getting there”. But you also need people who call a spade a spade, and call people out when they’re holding the team back. I know hockey has changed from the past, but all of these stories of Messier in the dressing room and promising the media they were going to win the next game when they went down in the SCF, leaders that raise the bar of expectation for the room, leaders that drag their team into the battle (Iggy with “the shift”) - those are good things. Tkachuk may or may not be ready to be captain, but he’s seemingly stepping up to the plate when everyone else seems to be stepping back. For that, he gets my respect and applause. Good on you Chucky. I’d follow you into battle. 

3 hours ago, dieselmarble said:

Tkachuk is the only flame who plays with heart and passion to win at all costs, if we had a team full of tkachuks we would be on top. Get rid of Gio while you may be able to get something from him,he is old and done, business decision has to be made. Make Chuckie captian..

You have posted this in a number of threads now. Matthew Tkachuk is one of the best, but I think that if you think that he's the only one playing with heart, you should take a closer look at number 88. He shows up for every single shift, and he's as tenacious as they get. 

Love. 

21 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

You have posted this in a number of threads now. Matthew Tkachuk is one of the best, but I think that if you think that he's the only one playing with heart, you should take a closer look at number 88. He shows up for every single shift, and he's as tenacious as they get. 

Love. 

I would argue that Tkachuk has been the biggest letdown over the last 5 games minimum.

Mangiapane, Gaudreau, Marckstrom, Backlund have been the ones to step up.

The first 3 the entire season.

Backlund rounding back into form.

Give me a top 6 of Gaudreau-Backlund-Mangiapane and Gaudreau-Backlund-Mangiapane over the last 5 games and we have 10 points in the standings.

8 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

Love. 

Oh I'm sorry, then there are 2.. Well Lookout Stanley cup, here we come.

8 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I would argue that Tkachuk has been the biggest letdown over the last 5 games minimum.

Mangiapane, Gaudreau, Marckstrom, Backlund have been the ones to step up.

The first 3 the entire season.

Backlund rounding back into form.

Give me a top 6 of Gaudreau-Backlund-Mangiapane and Gaudreau-Backlund-Mangiapane over the last 5 games and we have 10 points in the standings.

So you are saying he is not playing with heart and passion to win?? Do you have a TV?

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Yes, color and all.

If you think what he has been the last 5 games is classic Tkachuk, I don't know what you are seeing.

For me that is a letdown.

Gotta agree. Chucky's a shadow of his normal self this season, particularly since the last game against the leafs.  He still drives the net from time to time and mucks things up, but he isn't drawing nearly as many penalties or playing with much of an edge at all.  This is reflected in his offensive production too, which is way down 5v5. He's saying the right things of course, and I do believe he wants to win, but I genuinely think he is disenchanted with his teammates and doesn't see the point in getting his beak dirty if no one else is going to back him up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dieselmarble said:

Oh I'm sorry, then there are 2.. Well Lookout Stanley cup, here we come.

Are you feeling salty? I've agreed with almost everything that you have said, and Chucky is my favourite Flame... but there are a few gems on the current roster. Mangiapane brings it every game. These guys are right, Tkachuk hasn't been right since the Muzzin incident. Last night was his best game in awhile, and I look forward to seeing more of that from him. Hopefully he's back to his usual self sooner than later, but I think he's getting pretty frustrated, and I can't blame him. 

Love. 

• Like 1

I totally agree...if he shakes this off, hopefully it’s a learning experience for him that regardless of how and what his teammates are...bring it every night...

oh and on that note I think Manji should have an A on his jersey...he may be young but he’s been around long enough and plays the game the right way...reward him? 

10 hours ago, ABC923 said:

Gotta agree. Chucky's a shadow of his normal self this season, particularly since the last game against the leafs.  He still drives the net from time to time and mucks things up, but he isn't drawing nearly as many penalties or playing with much of an edge at all.  This is reflected in his offensive production too, which is way down 5v5. He's saying the right things of course, and I do believe he wants to win, but I genuinely think he is disenchanted with his teammates and doesn't see the point in getting his beak dirty if no one else is going to back him up.

Can you blame him? I agree with you but even at a shadow he is better than most.

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, rocketdoctor said:

Two things

Tkachuk has shown this season that he is not the next natrual Captain choice imo.

I would trade him to the East.

To Buffalo:

Tkachuk, Lindholm, Dube or Phillips, and Hanifin

To Calgary:

Eichel and Ristolianen 

To Philly:

Gaudreau

To Calgary:

Konecny, Patrick, 2nd round pick

To Toronto:

Monahan, 

To Calgary:

Nylander

Sign Hall, Laughton

Hall, Eichel, Nylander

Konecny, Backlund, Mangiapane

Bennett, Laughton, Patrick

Lucic, Gawdin/XXX, Ritchie

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

To Buffalo:

Tkachuk, Lindholm, Dube or Phillips, and Hanifin

To Calgary:

Eichel and Ristolianen 

To Philly:

Gaudreau

To Calgary:

Konecny, Patrick, 2nd round pick

To Toronto:

Monahan, 

To Calgary:

Nylander

Sign Hall, Laughton

Hall, Eichel, Nylander

Konecny, Backlund, Mangiapane

Bennett, Laughton, Patrick

Lucic, Gawdin/XXX, Ritchie

No thank you, I’m good with Eichel, Nylander is ok, Konecny ok but a bit smallish...Hall no he’s getting too old, especially with his playing style...it wears on a body, he’s a bit of a risky tak on now...Laughton I think is also north of or at 30...pass 

personally I’d be looking for something like:

Eichel and Reinhart for Monahan and gaudreau + something probably a pick or something of the sorts...

Tachuck/Eichel/Reinhart

Manji/Lindholm/???

use Backlund (if possible, meaning if he waves) grab another top 6 RW hopefully 

then work on the 3rd line RW 

Dube/Bennett/????

our largest weakness for many years has been the RW and now that is getting exposed and exploited...making the whole team look horrible. It needs to be fixed, it can’t be ignored any longer nor is any other area of the team able to be blamed...our RW is horribly weak like worse than AHL weak.

48 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

No thank you, I’m good with Eichel, Nylander is ok, Konecny ok but a bit smallish...Hall no he’s getting too old, especially with his playing style...it wears on a body, he’s a bit of a risky tak on now...Laughton I think is also north of or at 30...pass 

personally I’d be looking for something like:

Eichel and Reinhart for Monahan and gaudreau + something probably a pick or something of the sorts...

Tachuck/Eichel/Reinhart

Manji/Lindholm/???

use Backlund (if possible, meaning if he waves) grab another top 6 RW hopefully 

then work on the 3rd line RW 

Dube/Bennett/????

our largest weakness for many years has been the RW and now that is getting exposed and exploited...making the whole team look horrible. It needs to be fixed, it can’t be ignored any longer nor is any other area of the team able to be blamed...our RW is horribly weak like worse than AHL weak.

I think I saw that Laughton is 27. If he costs too much, then no. 

I think that it would take a lot more to get Reinhart and Eichel than Gaudreau, Monahan and a pick or prospect. I think it takes one more big piece for it to happen if it's Monahan and Gaudreau. Monahan, Lindholm and Gaudreau, or soemthing like that. I think that Monahan and Gaudreau won't get it done for Eichel. Maybe Tkachuk and Lindholm. But I don't think that Tkachuk and Monahan would get it done. I almost think they'd need a C back. I could see it being, Gaudreau, Monahan, and Dube or Mangiapane for Eichel, possibly even more? I am not trying to devalue our players, just that I think a lot of people probably would see their value as being lowered and Eichel is a franchise centerman. 

The biggest issue I see us having is that we don't have a #1C to trade with them. Do they see themselves as having one in the pipelines? Tough call. 

• Like 1