THE FUTURE COACH OF THE CALGARY FLAMES

rickross

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Accountability and leadership.

You hear it from some of the players like Tkachuk and Ras when the team plays badly.

Ras wanted to punch himslef in the face.

Two players that show up after a bad game and try to drag the team back in.

Mangiapane always plays like it's his last game.

I guess what I am saying is the youngest guys tend to have the drive to get better and learn.

That's great if you have a few leaders that can help channel that enthusium.

And a coach that doesn;t throw cold water on it.

I don;t see practices, so I can;t tell you if Janko shows up the practice after a good thinking he can take the foot off the gas.

What the coach has done is scratch a guy like that.

Or he thinks Backlund n RW is a good thing and kills the offense.

The players own this too.

The top players need to push other players.

And the players getting the minutes need to give 100% in those minutes.

You mess up a play?

Hit someone or break up anither play.

We are missing guys that catch fire when the chips are down or the they see the prize.

You win against the Oilers, go out and beat the crap against them the next time.

Lose a game badly, kick some crap the next game.

Yup, and that’s what makes us a middling team. The best players make the best teams the best because there’s an expectation. Look at Pittsburgh as an example, how a commentator recently said they owe the success of the team with the absence of Crosby and Malkin this year to the expectations they set as players. When you see what the best does to be the best, you better follow. 
it’s why the Avs have improved. McKinnon learned from him. 

As much as I hate it, you can see McDavid set the tone for the oilers and that had made them better too. Draisaitl has taken a step because of it. The Gio trip last season may have actually made the oilers better because the team seen McDicks drive fo get back and what he’s willing to do for the team.

our best players don’t set the expectations and don’t play up to their own. What are they willing to do?

i don’t think we have that player (yet). I don’t know if they are vocal in setting the tone in those teams. I am sure there are other examples as well. 

Well I’d say if that can’t land a big fish Ward has been doing a pretty good gob over all, and also if we make the playoffs that’s worth giving him a full season next year on..also if the team dose well in the playoffs he will definitely have earned The head coach position.

its actually really good to wait and see on Ward, he may be a playoff type of coach? 

On 2/19/2020 at 8:03 PM, robrob74 said:

Yup, and that’s what makes us a middling team. The best players make the best teams the best because there’s an expectation. Look at Pittsburgh as an example, how a commentator recently said they owe the success of the team with the absence of Crosby and Malkin this year to the expectations they set as players. When you see what the best does to be the best, you better follow. 
it’s why the Avs have improved. McKinnon learned from him. 

As much as I hate it, you can see McDavid set the tone for the oilers and that had made them better too. Draisaitl has taken a step because of it. The Gio trip last season may have actually made the oilers better because the team seen McDicks drive fo get back and what he’s willing to do for the team.

our best players don’t set the expectations and don’t play up to their own. What are they willing to do?

i don’t think we have that player (yet). I don’t know if they are vocal in setting the tone in those teams. I am sure there are other examples as well. 

I don't consider us a middling team.  We just don't have the mindset to go far in the playoffs.  We can beat the good teams any day (not always show up), but we haven't been able to get to that next level of play.  It's missing sometimes in the regular season, and was there last playoffs.  Any team is going to get blown out in a game, and it doesn't matter who they are playing.  It's what happens next that matters.  

The Oilers are outscoring their mistakes most wins, but they are also reducing pressure on the D and goalie by being offensive.

They draw penalties in close games and when they are trailing.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I don't consider us a middling team.  We just don't have the mindset to go far in the playoffs.  We can beat the good teams any day (not always show up), but we haven't been able to get to that next level of play.  It's missing sometimes in the regular season, and was there last playoffs.  Any team is going to get blown out in a game, and it doesn't matter who they are playing.  It's what happens next that matters.  

The Oilers are outscoring their mistakes most wins, but they are also reducing pressure on the D and goalie by being offensive.

ya, I just see it a bit different which is ok. I also think the Flames out score our mistakes a lot too and win a lot of games where they shouldn’t win.

But the fact that they aren’t getting up for games is making them a middle team. They should’ve been a middle team last year as well. They really weren’t that good last year. They have good players but lack the ability to put it ALL together. 

On 2/18/2020 at 9:51 AM, cross16 said:

I have a small list of people I think you look at. This isn't a ranking but I will say Gallant is the number 1 guy I'm interested in.

Gallant

Laviolette

Bourdreau (i'm not really a fan but you can't discount results)

Todd Nelson

I'll keep an eye on Travis Green, Torts, and maybe Blashill to see if any of them get fired. Would have some interest in all 3 if they do. 

Other than that, then I think you just stick with Ward and bring in a veteran assistant. I don't like much of what Ward is doing but there are some positives and the players do seem to like him. Better to stick with that than roll the dice on another unknown. Not really seeing that "next guy" out there as an assistant or in the AHL you should want to get your hands on. 

Tim Hunter?

On 2/21/2020 at 9:33 AM, travel_dude said:

Not to give us any excuses , but I feel things went a little too easy and good last year.

We cruised ahead of the pack, took the last stretch of the season off and still finished first.

Then we hit the playoffs as overwhelming favourites and we read our own headlines , then once we experienced pushback we had no answers and folded .. that carried over to this season where we almost seem to have a mindset of "why bother"

Having to fight this season could be the best thing that ever happened to us.

This isn't the same to me as the underdog comeback kids under Hartley.. were dealing with expectations for the first time 

32 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Not to give us any excuses , but I feel things went a little too easy and good last year.

We cruised ahead of the pack, took the last stretch of the season off and still finished first.

Then we hit the playoffs as overwhelming favourites and we read our own headlines , then once we experienced pushback we had no answers and folded .. that carried over to this season where we almost seem to have a mindset of "why bother"

Having to fight this season could be the best thing that ever happened to us.

This isn't the same to me as the underdog comeback kids under Hartley.. were dealing with expectations for the first time 

I get where you're coming from but the biggest issue is why is it taking 50+ games to start figuring it out? I understand the effect of some of the off-ice distractions but there has been ZERO consistency in effort and in all honesty, it's still not there. To me it looks like they went from cruise control last year to too little too late this year, and that is 100% on the players to figure it out before this.

Interesting from Lebrun here mentioning that teams have checked in on Babcock and sounds like as long as he wants to coach he will again. 

I am not at all advocating Calgary look into him and in fact I would say don't touch him at all. I just found this interesting and it adds another potential name to the circuit this off-season. Deep pool if he does decide he wants back in.

21 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Interesting from Lebrun here mentioning that teams have checked in on Babcock and sounds like as long as he wants to coach he will again. 

I am not at all advocating Calgary look into him and in fact I would say don't touch him at all. I just found this interesting and it adds another potential name to the circuit this off-season. Deep pool if he does decide he wants back in.

I hope teams want him, so we can get one of the other ones available.

On 2/25/2020 at 12:12 PM, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

I get where you're coming from but the biggest issue is why is it taking 50+ games to start figuring it out? I understand the effect of some of the off-ice distractions but there has been ZERO consistency in effort and in all honesty, it's still not there. To me it looks like they went from cruise control last year to too little too late this year, and that is 100% on the players to figure it out before this.

They’re not trying to figure it out. IMO, they see how their playoffs ended last year after finishing first in the west and now have a mindset that the regular season doesn’t actually mean much. Fictitiously, they also believe that they can easily “flick a switch” when they want, and be the St. Louis Blues of this season. 

I look at recent games and the questionable decision made during the game, not to mention how prospects are/were used.

I have no idea if the ideas are from spending time with BP or Ward is so far over his head he's just throwing things at the wall.

Perhaps the Flames will hire a real NHL coach for a change.

One that has NHL experience.

With 15 games left, in a tight race and with every point being so critical, they are not bringing a new coach in. This is Geoff Ward's job the rest of the year at this point, the ship has long sailed IMO to go that route. 

Ward has been a mixed bag for me. I really don't like the game plan defensively, He makes more WTF lineup and strategy decision than any other Flames coach I can remember, and he has really let some poor defensive play go. 

However, I think its also important to point out that there are positives too. He's taken a team that was really struggling offensively to start the year and flip the script on it. They've been really good on that side of the puck under Ward. 

If they could cut down on the mistakes and the dysfunction in their own zone they  might actually have something. But it's been going on for so long it's hard to imagine it suddenly changing. 

37 minutes ago, cross16 said:

With 15 games left, in a tight race and with every point being so critical, they are not bringing a new coach in. This is Geoff Ward's job the rest of the year at this point, the ship has long sailed IMO to go that route. 

Ward has been a mixed bag for me. I really don't like the game plan defensively, He makes more WTF lineup and strategy decision than any other Flames coach I can remember, and he has really let some poor defensive play go. 

However, I think its also important to point out that there are positives too. He's taken a team that was really struggling offensively to start the year and flip the script on it. They've been really good on that side of the puck under Ward. 

If they could cut down on the mistakes and the dysfunction in their own zone they  might actually have something. But it's been going on for so long it's hard to imagine it suddenly changing. 

i agree,, if you were going to do it it needed to be done right away ..  i get how much a new coach can inject short term success, but that would be 3 coaches in one season .. recipe for disaster ...  i feel its his to win or lose now ..  ROS will help clarify that

6 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I am in no way advocating for Babcock here,  but you look at Toronto these days and gotta think he actually knew what he was doing with that group 

They have been bad as of late, but since Keefe took over they have been 7th best team in the league.

I think Toronto and Calgary are very similar, in that the players are really only engaged and interested in offense, so unless they are scoring 4 or more goals a game or are getting elite goaltending there are going to be some ugly games in there, and you are going to see big swings in the level of play from game to game.

6 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

They have been bad as of late, but since Keefe took over they have been 7th best team in the league.

I think Toronto and Calgary are very similar, in that the players are really only engaged and interested in offense, so unless they are scoring 4 or more goals a game or are getting elite goaltending there are going to be some ugly games in there, and you are going to see big swings in the level of play from game to game.

I don't even think the Leafs have been that bad as a team but their goaltending has been not very good as of late, especially Freddie Anderson. They are also dealing with ALOT of injuries on D. 

Like any coaching chance it's hardly a cure all, and I don't think you can say it was all Babcock's fault. IMO, when it comes to hockey the impact of coaching is highly overrated. Babcock was pretty aware of the Leafs flaws and he was right, the team just seems to stop playing for him is all. 

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

I don't even think the Leafs have been that bad as a team but their goaltending has been not very good as of late, especially Feddie Anderson. 

They are also dealing with ALOT of injuries on D. 

That's fair. Andersen has been the busiest goaltender in terms of minutes played and shots since he got to Toronto, so it's not to surprising to see him wear down every year.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

That's fair. Andersen has been the busiest goaltender in terms of minutes played and shots since he got to Toronto, so it's not to surprising to see him wear down every year.

That being said maybe a little more balance in the goalie starts in Calgary would help with the inconsistencies both goalies are having. 

Archived