THE FUTURE COACH OF THE CALGARY FLAMES

rickross

It’s been quite the tumultuous year for NHL coaches. It’s obvious, believe it or not the Calgary Flames are looking for a new head coach. With Bruce Boudreau being added to a list that already includes the likes of Gallant and Laviollete not to mention Mike Babcock 😬....which available coach do you believe can be the future coach of the Flames? What coaching style and attributes will finally make this team a contender? We’ve seen a harsh and demanding coach in Hartley, we’ve seen the “players coach and communicator” in Gulutzan and we had the supposed in between in Peters. Nothing has really worked. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As you say we seem to have been through all manner of coaches.

Looking at Florida's roster I thought Quenneville was going to take them to another level. But they're still a bubble team, like us.

So the next coach could be anyone and not make a difference.

I was reading that a GM typically will hire 3 coaches in his tenure, so the next one should be BT's last chance.

My concern is that there is no more to get out of this team, so roster changes might be the best route.

14 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

As you say we seem to have been through all manner of coaches.

Looking at Florida's roster I thought Quenneville was going to take them to another level. But they're still a bubble team, like us.

So the next coach could be anyone and not make a difference.

I was reading that a GM typically will hire 3 coaches in his tenure, so the next one should be BT's last chance.

My concern is that there is no more to get out of this team, so roster changes might be the best route.

I think you need both. I don’t see Ward as a good long term fit but at the same time I also agree we are far past the point of thin in this is all a coaching problem. They core needs a shake up and that should occur no matter who they tab as the next coach. 

I have a small list of people I think you look at. This isn't a ranking but I will say Gallant is the number 1 guy I'm interested in.

Gallant

Laviolette

Bourdreau (i'm not really a fan but you can't discount results)

Todd Nelson

I'll keep an eye on Travis Green, Torts, and maybe Blashill to see if any of them get fired. Would have some interest in all 3 if they do. 

Other than that, then I think you just stick with Ward and bring in a veteran assistant. I don't like much of what Ward is doing but there are some positives and the players do seem to like him. Better to stick with that than roll the dice on another unknown. Not really seeing that "next guy" out there as an assistant or in the AHL you should want to get your hands on. 

33 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I have a small list of people I think you look at. This isn't a ranking but I will say Gallant is the number 1 guy I'm interested in.

Gallant

Laviolette

Todd Nelson

I'll keep an eye on Travis Green, Torts, and maybe Blashill to see if any of them get fired. Would have some interest in all 3 if they do. 

Other than that, then I think you just stick with Ward and bring in a veteran assistant. I don't like much of what Ward is doing but there are some positives and the players do seem to like him. Better to stick with that than roll the dice on another unknown. Not really seeing that "next guy" out there as an assistant or in the AHL you should want to get your hands on. 

Like your nod to Torts. He's very good and by all reports the players like playing for him. It would be fun to see him shake his head at the media. lol

My first choice is Gallant, to me he is a no brainer, but who knows if he wants to come here.

My second choice would be Darryl Sutter. I would be really happy if it was even just for the rest of this season. He is a great coach. I think he would simplify the way this team plays and focus of defense, and to be honest that might be exactly what this team needs.

Laviolette would be my 3rd choice. His results speak for themselves, though some of the things he does is a little head scratching (man to man defense).

Boudreau would be my 4th choice. Not a huge fan, but he has been extremely successful.

might as well be daffy duck.. If there is no  cohesive planning of styles between the current G.M. and whatever coach is next.. it won't matter.. The G.m. and coach must be on the same page as far as style of play .. a coach only coaches one way.. if he doesn't have the players his system needs. then it doesn't really matter.. The G,m,]s job is to get the players too fit into the coach's system.. Not the coach to fit into the G/m/s system... So if we are to have a new coach.. and I believe we do.. then we need a full overhaul of players as well

49 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Like your nod to Torts. He's very good and by all reports the players like playing for him. It would be fun to see him shake his head at the media. lol

I quite like him. By all reports he really adapts with the times but can still toe that demanding line while still getting players to like/respect him. I highly doubt Columbus let's him go but if they do he'd be high on my list. 

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ironically, should we re-hire Bill Peters?  

I actually think that the team play was the same or worse at the beginning of the year. And this is a coach where the systems should have been already implemented last year, and all the players had to do was get back into it, 2nd nature by now. Some say it's not a coaching thing to get players motivated, but it was clear that players weren't playing for him, nor were they playing his system. It was an ugly mess and like a lot said on here, the Peter's situation may have given BT a get out of jail free card that gives him an extra coaching hire, if indeed the owners dislike the product he put on the ice this year. 

I thought they looked good in about half the games last year. The system was good, but the players weren't motivated to start most of the games, they weren't ready, and they easily got off task whenever we strung wins together. Of course that's going to happen. It's hard to right a ship when the ship is going in the right direction regardless of the play. But how many times last year was he PO'd about the team's play. 

Last year they outscored their problems. They scored in bunches and it looked great to most. I hated the, "it's the third period and now we are going to score 4 to win." Yes I like goals, but I don't like it when the team starts slow and are basically out of the game until the 2nd half of the game. It wasn't necessarily what killed us in the playoffs, but maybe it was. It goes to show that if you don't show up to start games in the playoffs, it's hard to flick the switch. To start the year, the Flames didn't flick any switches on with Peters. 

5 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Ironically, should we re-hire Bill Peters?  

Bill Peters is now labelled as a confirmed racist, agree or disagree, it is the title he now carries, he would be lucky to even find a job in the NHL ever again, let alone coach, if he ever works as a head coach again it will likely be overseas.

6 hours ago, cross16 said:

I quite like him. By all reports he really adapts with the times but can still toe that demanding line while still getting players to like/respect him. I highly doubt Columbus let's him go but if they do he'd be high on my list. 

I'd go so far as to say Duclair owes him his career. Get called out like that, that's a kick in the nuts.

Best thing that ever happened for him.

Well here we are again...seems like we do this every 2 years or so. I feel like BT went old school with Hartley, new school with Gulutzan and old with the new with Peters. At this point I don’t think BT has much choice but to go with a vet with a recent proven track record of success. 

Laviolette is probably the best example of that, he does seem to stick around and have impact teams for more than 2 years. I think Gallant is interesting, he’d be an option I’m comfortable with...I just question his longevity with the players ...seems like he wears his welcome fairly quickly. Boudreau is successful but I’m not sure I trust him to elevate this team to the next level, he might make us a better playoff team but not sure he’s the guy. Darryl Sutter is too much old school for this league..he’s be great as a D coach but head coach I think his tactics to draw out negative emotions/fear will wear on players

17 minutes ago, rickross said:

Well here we are again...seems like we do this every 2 years or so. I feel like BT went old school with Hartley, new school with Gulutzan and old with the new with Peters. At this point I don’t think BT has much choice but to go with a vet with a recent proven track record of success. 

Laviolette is probably the best example of that, he does seem to stick around and have impact teams for more than 2 years. I think Gallant is interesting, he’d be an option I’m comfortable with...I just question his longevity with the players ...seems like he wears his welcome fairly quickly. Boudreau is successful but I’m not sure I trust him to elevate this team to the next level, he might make us a better playoff team but not sure he’s the guy. Darryl Sutter is too much old school for this league..he’s be great as a D coach but head coach I think his tactics to draw out negative emotions/fear will wear on players

If there is a culture issue with the team, it starts with the Captain.

Almost need to address that at the same time as the coach.

It's funny because all the players say they love Gio.

Maybe that says something.

They respect him but are unwilling to follow him into battle?

Maybe he doesn;t talk to players to demand more.

Whatever.

Hate to say we need a new coach, but I haven;t seen one here that knows what they are doing.

The same mistakes over and over.

No recognition of what the problem is during a game.

Roll 4 lines or blender.

PP not working, try the same thing.

Passive D not working, let's try it some more.

well i'm pretty sure we'll be getting a new coach .. hopefully a veteran with a proven system.. But!! Treliving needs to bring him aboard now or very soon so that the new coach can evaluate the current crop of playerss and make the necessary player adjustments before training camp next year.. This Year is done!1 Finit.. kaput.. Fire the entire coaching staff.. everyone.. gelinas included.. Let the new coach appoint his own staff.. Treliving should not be making any moves to salvage this season..It's over with.. Make any moves with a new coach in place to bolster whatever system we'lll be playing for the next few years

14 hours ago, cross16 said:

Gallant

Laviolette

Todd Nelson

the Flames being the Flames.. they

will move the coach from Stockton up to co-coach with ward for next season

Is it the players or is it the coach? We’ve had great leadership in place with Gio at the helm but little success. Is this more a matter of the Flames lacking the right pieces all this time...or has it been the coaches holding the team back? 

Look at our roster now. Can this group win the Stanley Cup? Do you have faith in the current coaches to lead this team to a Stanley Cup? If the answer is no to both...it’s essentially rebuild time. 

1 hour ago, rickross said:

Is it the players or is it the coach? We’ve had great leadership in place with Gio at the helm but little success. Is this more a matter of the Flames lacking the right pieces all this time...or has it been the coaches holding the team back? 

Look at our roster now. Can this group win the Stanley Cup? Do you have faith in the current coaches to lead this team to a Stanley Cup? If the answer is no to both...it’s essentially rebuild time. 

I think it's the pieces and the coaches. 

They have enough offense but not enough maturity to play defense. The team game lacks cohesion. Plus, players only want to get up for certain games and not others. It's really hard to flick a switch when they've made it a habit. 

Before the Hamilton trade the team had some glaring holes. Now, they added 2 for 1 in the deal as Ferland seemed to be an off and on kind of guy anyway. But if you count him, then none of the holes were filled, and the team traded up on offense but down on D. It was almost a lateral move, give a little here and take a bit extra there. At the time of the trade they were borderline playoff teams and we added Lucic/Neal to the mix. Mangiapane has emerged but I think when the going gets tough, his size makes him a non-factor. I think size does still matter in the NHL. Dube has also emerged, but I think he's still fringe as he is still quite inconsistent. Other players have taken steps back. Ryan was a good add, but again, size and space becomes a premium in the playoffs. He becomes a non-factor. 

Plus, when your best players can't out-best the other team's best, they're non-factors as well. 

Albeit, Tkachuk is improved, but Backlund can't hit an open net if his life depended on it 75% of the time.

I think we are slightly better than before the Hamilton trade, but other teams that were below us have bridged the gap that should have been made with us being better. So in the end, we aren't actually that much better off than before the trade. 

The Canucks are way better than anyone here thought they'd be.

The Coyotes are still off and on but can win on any day and that steals those points.

The Oilers for the worst are playing with urgency and their best players are better than a lot of other team's best players. That's what makes the difference most of their games. We need our best players to play as the best players.

California sucks, so maybe they should cancel out the other team's improvements, but we've lost more to LA than we've beaten them. And we barely beat low-level teams. 

So long story short, there are holes that haven't been filled and the natural improvements haven't grown enough to make up for it. 

It depends on whether the team is choosing not to buy into a team plan on how to play team-D. Are they just not adhering to the system or is the system the coaches are employing flawed? I ALso think it's on the coaches to motivate. Players also need to self motivate, but the coach needs to prepare the players as well. Plus the lines are still jumbling after 55-60 games. 

2 hours ago, rickross said:

It's both. I don't see why we always have to make a choice. 

I honestly believe this team is talented enough. Yes they need another piece or two (more grit and a goal scoring RS RW) but I think they are close in terms of talent. I thikn all you have to do is take a look at their record since Ward took over. I have my gripes about Ward and i'm not convinced he or this coaching staff is doing a good job but they are the 8th best team in the NHL by points percentage since he took over. With the lack of structure and mistakes that we are seeing this, IMO, points to the talent level this team has. (Standings below)

Where they lack is in accountability and leadership. The teams has generally played well results wise under Ward but the mistakes are glaring, being repeated, and are errors you generally don't want to see at this time of the year. If errors like this continue to occur you are either coaching it or you are allowing it and neither speaks well to your coach. 

That being said, you shouldn't always need a coach to step in. There should be more accountability of not wanting to let your teammates down, going to battle for your teammates so when I see a team continue to have issues with cohesion/execution and work ethic (especially under multiple coaches) I think there is a leadership and a culture issue here too.

Not an easy answer. I can get behind the idea of a rebuild as much as I can to keep this team going but it really all depends on how you want to define rebuild and what you can realistically get for some of the pieces you have. I don't think a strip down/tank rebuild model makes any sense to me at this point. 

Flames Nov.PNG

43 minutes ago, cross16 said:

It's both. I don't see why we always have to make a choice. 

I honestly believe this team is talented enough. Yes they need another piece or two (more grit and a goal scoring RS RW) but I think they are close in terms of talent. I thikn all you have to do is take a look at their record since Ward took over. I have my gripes about Ward and i'm not convinced he or this coaching staff is doing a good job but they are the 8th best team in the NHL by points percentage since he took over. With the lack of structure and mistakes that we are seeing this, IMO, points to the talent level this team has. 

Where they lack is in accountability and leadership. The teams has generally played well results wise under Ward but the mistakes are glaring, being repeated, and are errors you generally don't want to see at this time of the year. If errors like this continue to occur you are either coaching it or you are allowing it and neither speaks well to your coach. 

That being said, you shouldn't always need a coach to step in. There should be more accountability of not wanting to let your teammates down, going to battle for your teammates so when I see a team continue to have issues with cohesion/execution and work ethic (especially under multiple coaches) I think there is a leadership and a culture issue here too.

Accountability and leadership.

You hear it from some of the players like Tkachuk and Ras when the team plays badly.

Ras wanted to punch himslef in the face.

Two players that show up after a bad game and try to drag the team back in.

Mangiapane always plays like it's his last game.

I guess what I am saying is the youngest guys tend to have the drive to get better and learn.

That's great if you have a few leaders that can help channel that enthusium.

And a coach that doesn;t throw cold water on it.

I don;t see practices, so I can;t tell you if Janko shows up the practice after a good thinking he can take the foot off the gas.

What the coach has done is scratch a guy like that.

Or he thinks Backlund n RW is a good thing and kills the offense.

The players own this too.

The top players need to push other players.

And the players getting the minutes need to give 100% in those minutes.

You mess up a play?

Hit someone or break up anither play.

We are missing guys that catch fire when the chips are down or the they see the prize.

You win against the Oilers, go out and beat the crap against them the next time.

Lose a game badly, kick some crap the next game.

Archived