Motivation and Work Ethic

conundrumed

3 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Currently watching Buffalo vs Anaheim. These teams are fast and hard, We better find a rhythm. Both of these "non-playoff" teams look hungry. Anaheim really has some great young players we may have overlooked over time.

Yes, 

and that I think is the worrisome thing, as this team has a tendency to believe their hype, start slow, they don’t always play with killer instinct. 

It is the thing that i look for. I don’t always think that having possession means more.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Boy oh boy. This Anaheim team, with Gibson in net, isn't a playoff team? They've turned this over amazingly. They've got great talent in Steel, Comtois, Jones.

I expected Anaheim to suck. dammit.

I sometimes think we get homerism here for the Flames. Not everyone but the suggestion that an inferior team could do better, well, I dunno. 

Even Edmonton can make it with their top players and an engaged D. You can have good D but  if they are not engaged they’re not that much better. 

9 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Not even sure why thats news.  No shame in putting food on the table, kudos to you Mr. Brashear.

9 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I sometimes think we get homerism here for the Flames. Not everyone but the suggestion that an inferior team could do better, well, I dunno. 

Even Edmonton can make it with their top players and an engaged D. You can have good D but  if they are not engaged they’re not that much better. 

EDM and ANA are both capable of making the playoffs based on a few players.

Gibson is the best goalie in the league.

They still have a lot of skill at F and D.

EDM has one line and is clicking on a PP.

They are also burning McD and Drai at a rate of 25 minutes per game.

The goalies are giving them a chance.

Neither has a history of keeping it up for a season.

ANA is sorta in rebuild.

Their injuries have hurt them for the last few years.

They traded away some of their depth on D.

EDM looks for real, but you have to get past the wins and look at how and who they played.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

EDM and ANA are both capable of making the playoffs based on a few players.

Gibson is the best goalie in the league.

They still have a lot of skill at F and D.

EDM has one line and is clicking on a PP.

They are also burning McD and Drai at a rate of 25 minutes per game.

The goalies are giving them a chance.

Neither has a history of keeping it up for a season.

ANA is sorta in rebuild.

Their injuries have hurt them for the last few years.

They traded away some of their depth on D.

EDM looks for real, but you have to get past the wins and look at how and who they played.

Re EDM, Philly had 52 shots last night. The score didn't reflect the actual game. Tippett was pissed. A Tippett team giving up 52 shots. lol

22 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Re EDM, Philly had 52 shots last night. The score didn't reflect the actual game. Tippett was pissed. A Tippett team giving up 52 shots. lol

I saw that, and read some game reviews about it.

I only watched part of the game with the sound down because it's nausiating to listen to.

Zone time is "blank to McDavid, McDavid skates, passes to Draisaitl, to McDavid to Draisaitl....MCDAVID SHOOOTS..."

Does anyone watching it need to know each touch he has on it?  It's not a radio broadcast.

Back to the game.

Somehow Hart managed to poop the bed and get pulled with 4 goals on 14 shots.

It's not like EDM was dominating anything.

Have there really been any tough games where the other goalie is playing well?

One (Crawford) and that was a loss.

Hart/Elliott, Blackwood (19 saves), Lundquist (23 saves), Varly (15 saves), Quick (25 saves), Markstrom (19 saves)

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I saw that, and read some game reviews about it.

I only watched part of the game with the sound down because it's nausiating to listen to.

Zone time is "blank to McDavid, McDavid skates, passes to Draisaitl, to McDavid to Draisaitl....MCDAVID SHOOOTS..."

Does anyone watching it need to know each touch he has on it?  It's not a radio broadcast.

Back to the game.

Somehow Hart managed to poop the bed and get pulled with 4 goals on 14 shots.

It's not like EDM was dominating anything.

Have there really been any tough games where the other goalie is playing well?

One (Crawford) and that was a loss.

Hart/Elliott, Blackwood (19 saves), Lundquist (23 saves), Varly (15 saves), Quick (25 saves), Markstrom (19 saves)

I prefer that they do the play-by-play than chat in the background about random stuff. I am old school and hate when they yap about things. 

I hate it even more on the radio as Wills and  Loubardius seem to talk a lot and the play is in the background and I can hear the passes hitting the sticks.

for a lot it seems they just yap about the opponents anyway 

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

I prefer that they do the play-by-play than chat in the background about random stuff. I am old school and hate when they yap about things. 

I hate it even more on the radio as Wills and  Loubardius seem to talk a lot and the play is in the background and I can hear the passes hitting the sticks.

for a lot it seems they just yap about the opponents anyway 

Ball voice has too much lilt in it for me, but he doesn't state the obvious.

There is no need to say one name over and over, as it's obvious.

It's very much his schtick.

Overly homeristic, in that he only raises his voices when an Oiler is moving the puck in the O-zone.

Dissappointed when the other team score, and he seems surprised.

Whatever.

The regional guys are usually the worst.

We are lucky when we don't get stuck with Debrusk.

He's a very smart fella (fart smeller) and has good input, but he's so much a Oilers homer.

On 10/16/2019 at 9:13 PM, robrob74 said:

I have to agree with this. We are a good team when “on”. But needing to think too much can be bad.

Janko was quoted after a good game saying.. I need to build a good game.. build a shift.. What!!!?? just who the hell got in his head??? you're 6 foot 4.. over 200 lbs.. Skate like hell.. hit everything in your way.. Take no prisoners and go to the net.. !!

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

If we can the kind of efforts we got from Lucic, Ryan and Bennett last night our depth will be much improved going forward.

That's the level those 3 have to be at every night.

Lucic was a bit better with Ryan and Bennett than the other line.

But Ryan with Mange and Bennett was on fire.

Hope they stick with the latter, assuming Mange is okay.

31 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Lucic was a bit better with Ryan and Bennett than the other line.

But Ryan with Mange and Bennett was on fire.

Hope they stick with the latter, assuming Mange is okay.

I like Mangiapane with Ryan and Bennett as well.

I am hoping that Ryan and Bennett can build some chemistry and that can be the 3rd pair (Gaudreau/Monahan, Tkachuk/Backlund being the other two.).

If we can get 3 lines to be two way threats we will be competing for 1st in the West again.

Lucic and Bennett were good last night but they have been awful up until then. 

Hopefully Lindholm and Mang can play because that lineup last night was by far the best the Flames have dressed this season as they got something from every line for the first time. I'd relay like to see those lines build off that. 

59 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I like Mangiapane with Ryan and Bennett as well.

I am hoping that Ryan and Bennett can build some chemistry and that can be the 3rd pair (Gaudreau/Monahan, Tkachuk/Backlund being the other two.).

If we can get 3 lines to be two way threats we will be competing for 1st in the West again.

Ryan was great last year with Mangiapane, so that duo already exists.

Getting Bennett used to playing with them is crucial.

He looked steady last night, but it was also his best game.

For me it's a toss up whether Rieder with Lucic and Janko is better than Czarnik.

Both get chances.

Rieder is better defensively.

Czarnik has better and a higher volume of shots.

Czarnik just looks a bit off speed compared to the others.

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Ryan was great last year with Mangiapane, so that duo already exists.

Getting Bennett used to playing with them is crucial.

He looked steady last night, but it was also his best game.

For me it's a toss up whether Rieder with Lucic and Janko is better than Czarnik.

Both get chances.

Rieder is better defensively.

Czarnik has better and a higher volume of shots.

Czarnik just looks a bit off speed compared to the others.

I haven't seen the same chemistry between Mangiapane and Ryan this year, so I think that duo is written in pencil.

I am more of a Czarnik fan than most on here, he is a player that I don't think has been given a fair shot. Much like Cross mentioned that there might be a communication break down between Treliving and Peters in regards to Bennett, the same thing could be said about Czarnik

Treliving gave relatively big money to an AHL player, and the talk after he signed is that he could be another Gourde or Marchessault, but he was never really put in a position to show that. I think that ability is there still myself and I wouldn't be opposed to seeing what a prolonged look on the 2nd line would look like.

Archived