Sam Bennett

Going4TheCup

6 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

Yeah good night for Bennett.  +3 on the night.  Must be nice skating with some good players for a change.

15:40 TOI, Hopefully he can turn it around there. 

I have little doubt Fla targeted him due to scouting and seeing a fit. They've been doing well with reclamations.

Nobody sees Montour and Bennett as big TDL splashes, but imo I think they were very precise to round out their roster.

Montour scored last night, Bennett assisted.

I don't really blame the Flames, he maybe could have started in the A but for the fanfare of being a high pick and the 18 yr old crap.

He just never really found his rhythm.

It was Sam Bennett's Series of Unfortunate Events.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

Go Benny Go! I now have a reason to watch Panther games. Man they looked good against Tampa eh? Good hockey right there. 

I have always thought if they could slot Bennett right he could thrive. You look at who he’s playing with and he’ll get points if he sticks with them. 

thing is, he looked normal with Looch and Dube last year. He used his line quite well and they played with flow. He has it in him. But when you split him between so many lines there’s no groove! 

I hope he flies and can get his career back on track. He had 30+ points in his rookie year and 18 goals. I think he has it in him. He just needs consistency and good mates. It’s when he has nobody’s on his line that he tries to do it all himself. 

• Like 1

Glad to see Benny have a good start, but we’ve seen this before. He’ll get hot for a few games, but once he’s comfortable he will trend back to norm. He’ll then bring it post season. If he plays his cards right, he will land a nice payday based on his end of season and post season, maybe something like 4x3.5. He’ll never live up to it, but will be a serviceable player for Fla. I hope I’m wrong for his sake, but I think his rookie season is his ceiling at this point.

1 hour ago, ABC923 said:

Glad to see Benny have a good start, but we’ve seen this before. He’ll get hot for a few games, but once he’s comfortable he will trend back to norm. He’ll then bring it post season. If he plays his cards right, he will land a nice payday based on his end of season and post season, maybe something like 4x3.5. He’ll never live up to it, but will be a serviceable player for Fla. I hope I’m wrong for his sake, but I think his rookie season is his ceiling at this point.

If it is his ceiling and he gets there, that wouldn't be terrible. The NHL seems to reward players 1 million per ten points. 10 = $1m, 20=$2m, 30= $3mil...

My bet is that he's going to need another "show me" contract. He hasn't lived up to the $2.5M, so something tells me that they might just qualify him? Isn't that just 10% more?

3 hours ago, ABC923 said:

He’s got his first as a panther now. Making a good impression on his new team!

I hope he can keep it up. We always used to say, “if he can only get the monkey off his back, he’ll explode!” 

maybe the monkeys were the Calgary Flames. 

11 hours ago, ABC923 said:

He’s got his first as a panther now. Making a good impression on his new team!

Almost his 2nd shortly after on the same type of play. 3 quick passes with Bennett finishing down the pipe.

Just watching the Panthers is fun. When they swarm the O-zone, wow, they have a lot of bite.

Love watching Vatrano, damn can he fly with the puck. 

When Sutter says we don't play at the pace of the rest of the league, watching Florida easily confirms it.

• Like 1

I knew we would be missing Bennett...been saying for a few years now, trade Backlund and play Bennett...so far early on Fla has gotta be happy with this trade...BT best pull off some kinda of magic trick this off-season and get this crappy lazy “core” trades out and bring in a new core group that actually has drive and will play to win..this current group plays to get paid...time to go!

should have kept Bennett as the #2 Ctr to build around...messed that up too and now we have a 30+ decline if Backlund 😞 for that role🤨

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

I knew we would be missing Bennett...been saying for a few years now, trade Backlund and play Bennett...so far early on Fla has gotta be happy with this trade...BT best pull off some kinda of magic trick this off-season and get this crappy lazy “core” trades out and bring in a new core group that actually has drive and will play to win..this current group plays to get paid...time to go!

should have kept Bennett as the #2 Ctr to build around...messed that up too and now we have a 30+ decline if Backlund 😞 for that role🤨

Because win now.

8 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

This is a difficult thing to nail down.

Huberdeau is no slouch to play with.

Who would we even have equivalent to him to have Bennett play with?

And it's not like he wasn't given opportunity with almost every player on this team.  Almost.

He's only player 2 games in FLA and already has 3 points.

This is in no way a shot against Bennett.  He was always the wrong player for this team, the way it's constructed.  He's a C that plays a heavy game, but we had two lines that were successful without him.  3M and Gatorade lines.  Mangiapane took what was given (4th line mostly) and used that to jump into the top 6.  He didn't force his way to be the #3C until Ryan was injured.  Yeah, Ryan was a BP pet, but you have to give the coach reasons for keeping you as a C.  If he was going to replace Backlund, he had to outplay him.

13 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I hope he can keep it up. We always used to say, “if he can only get the monkey off his back, he’ll explode!” 

maybe the monkeys were the Calgary Flames. 

39 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

11 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Because win now.

As much as anyone else I hope Benny finds his groove eventually. But chastising management after only seeing a couple games of "good Bennett" seems premature.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

As much as anyone else I hope Benny finds his groove eventually. But chastising management after only seeing a couple games of "good Bennett" seems premature.

Well I've chastised all along the way so... Aside from that one Hartley season, the Flames don't plan for the future.  Don't focus on winning during a rebuild.  Play the kids and let them make mistakes.  Give them the roles early and often.

8 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Well I've chastised all along the way so... Aside from that one Hartley season, the Flames don't plan for the future.  Don't focus on winning during a rebuild.  Play the kids and let them make mistakes.  Give them the roles early and often.

Like Monahan, Gaudreau and Tkachuk.  Peak early, and chase em out of town at 26 or under.

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Not really.  Play the kid.  Lose today and win tomorrow. 

But nope.

Just now, The_People1 said:

Bennett only had to outplay Granlund to cement his future, but somehow he didn't manage to.  That was BH as the head coach.  His "best" season was when somebody was injured and he played with Backlund as a LW.  The Flames exited the rebuild quickly, but the leading indicators were there.  How they managed assets at that points had as much to do with the failure to progress as anything.  Nothing wrong with a win-now attitude if you manage it right.  

Yet, we decided to sign Brouwer, trade for Elliott, trade Hamilton, sign Neal, trade for Stone and Smith, trade for Hamonic.....

Any of those alone was a step in the wrong direction.

Hamilton was a costly trade, but was it was done after we failed on Hamonic and Brouwer.

Neal set up a $6m #3LW trade.

Stone set up a buyout, like Bouma and Brouwer.

Combined, this has a lot to do with how poorly we exited the rebuild.   

11 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I'll put alot of developmental blame on mgmt and I hope that the same mistakes arent repeated but throughout his career Benny has been very streaky. Maybe the pressure of being 4OA, mismanagement didnt help, or the entire fit in the room but even during the purple gatorade times when everyone was beating personal bests Benny was still just a passenger.  To say trading away players to make room for him would have made difference just seems like blind optimisim.

2 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Like Monahan, Gaudreau and Tkachuk.  Peak early, and chase em out of town at 26 or under.

I think people focus the blame on single players.

Tkachuk is doing a lot more negative stuff in the last month than the other have ever done.

The issue I have right now is I don't know what transpired to turn Tkachuk into a fool.

He has never played this bad.

You could argue that Bennett (and his agent) sealed their own fates.

Bennett with more lazy penalties and a few shifts like PLD's final one in CBJ.

His agent talking about opportunity, while the coach makes him look like he was being spoiled.

Playing on the 2nd line but not really showing much there.