Oilers

27 minutes ago, cross16 said:

30% of the Oilers cap next year is tied up in buyouts, Lucic, James Neal, Kassian, Russell and Darnell Nurse. Never mind Koskinen at 4.5 million, which is bad, but not as egregious as the others. Good luck with that one Holland...

Contrast that with the Flames who have 10% of their cap next tied up in buyouts and Lucic (who I consider to be their only bad deal).

Hilarious that Edm media wants to point the finger at McDavid/Drasaitl and ignore that gross incompetence of cap management. 

And they have Cap Magician Kenny Holland to manage their way out.

He seems to be able to swing trades when they wasn't a league wide cap issue, but nobody is going to help him out now.

He only has so many choices, and some of them don't mean cap just going out the door:

Trading Kassian

Trading Russell

Trading Nurse

Letting AA walk

Buying out Neal

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

And they have Cap Magician Kenny Holland to manage their way out.

He seems to be able to swing trades when they wasn't a league wide cap issue, but nobody is going to help him out now.

He only has so many choices, and some of them don't mean cap just going out the door:

Trading Kassian

Trading Russell

Trading Nurse

Letting AA walk

Buying out Neal

Trading Kassian right after signing the extension will reflect badly on him.  Also not sure how many GM's want that contract, AA walking is just a disasters considering what they gave up for him.  Honestly have no idea what they will do, my bet is they walk away from Benning, maybe they shop Larsson but doubt they will get much back, maybe they look into moving Nuge if he isn't going to extend in the offseason.  I have no idea.

38 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Trading Kassian right after signing the extension will reflect badly on him.  Also not sure how many GM's want that contract, AA walking is just a disasters considering what they gave up for him.  Honestly have no idea what they will do, my bet is they walk away from Benning, maybe they shop Larsson but doubt they will get much back, maybe they look into moving Nuge if he isn't going to extend in the offseason.  I have no idea.

It appears that KH's plan was to win now.

Worry about the dollars later.

He banked on a rising cap.

Not the only GM to do it, but he didn't have a contender to work with.

He thought he did because he couldn't see part the top 2.

He's actully worse off with Neal.

A functional player, but not worth the combine payout.

Thoughts have to be buying him out, but that's not much of a solution either.

Nuge is the one player with value, but how do you make that trade knowing you have zero defensive responsibility left.

He was the glue that allowed Draisaitl to score 100 points.

Losing that would set them further back.

They are more screwed than they think.

They can't improve without trading one of their best players.

They don't have a competetive bottom 6, so they can't afford to do that.

They can't sign AA, but they can't walk away.

DOD 3.0 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, sak22 said:

The more things change the more they stay the same.  Has there ever been that big of a waste of decent assets, that's a hall of fame GM there

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

And to think Ken Holland was going to be their savoir. did no one pay attention to this guy in Detroit?

His biggest and best effort was moving Lucic....for Neal.

A guy that scored nothing from the time he came back of IR to the end of the season.

Easier to buy out.

Waste of two x 2nd for a guy they can't afford.

Ennis was a decent trade.

Other than than, another gong show

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:

His biggest and best effort was moving Lucic....for Neal.

A guy that scored nothing from the time he came back of IR to the end of the season.

Easier to buy out.

Waste of two x 2nd for a guy they can't afford.

Ennis was a decent trade.

Other than than, another gong show

you almost feel bad for their fans and then... they post a comment on a message board and remind you why you don’t. 

Just now, robrob74 said:

you almost feel bad for their fans and then... they post a comment on a message board and remind you why you don’t. 

They have good reason to be confident going into a season.

But they get caught up in their own hype.

Hard to believe that a team that has two goal scorers over 100 points each....and yet they barely were above us in the standings.

If Holland is there for very long, they will be a shell of their skinny self.

No depth except on D, where they have buffoons playing top minutes.

Larsson is on par with Hamonic, but a little meaner.

Nurse is a goon first and a defensive D third.

Klefbom and Bear are about their best players, which is not saying that much.

Bear, I think, will be a good player in a couple of years but they have thrown him to the wolves too soon.

Klefbom is more injury prone than Hall.

Jones is about as good or less than Kylington.

The forward crew is a mess.

3 top 3 players (2 really and something like a Backlund that doesn't play as good defensively).

A young RW who played with a 100+ player; is there any doubt he would rack up points?

Not much to speak about after that.

Kassian and Chaisson are bottom 6 no better than Comeau.

Their big hope is Lavoie.

Yikes 

13 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Good to see the Oilers in the spotlight again

As often happens, it's not for the right reasons that they would like to be in the headlines for...

4 hours ago, sak22 said:

Question, isn't self-quarantine mandatory after a positive?  I hope for a complete recovery, just seems like dumb wording in a press release.

it is, for both points...

and ya gotta wonder about this guys immune system, he has been catching the flu, etc, fairly often over the last few years...   and this probably won't help with that kind of thing either...

No doubt he is getting top notch medical help, and he will be back to annoy us before the beginning of the season...   I'm sure everyone here wishes him a speedy recovery...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Well, the Oilers let AA walk.

They did re-sign Poolparty, which could just be in advance of a trade.

Cheap 2 year deal at $1.175m

Not like he is a top player, but it's interesting that he did sign.

I think the Oil have Puljujarvi talked into having another run to see if he can stick around this time...   They need a guy with a cheap cap hit, and probably sold him on getting put in a better position to succeed this time around...

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that he still has potential...   If we could have picked him up for cheap when everyone's feathers were still ruffled, I would not have minded if the Flames had have taken a gamble...

As for Athanasiou, that will still be worth some laughs for a while...

1 hour ago, Carty said:

I think the Oil have Puljujarvi talked into having another run to see if he can stick around this time...   They need a guy with a cheap cap hit, and probably sold him on getting put in a better position to succeed this time around...

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that he still has potential...   If we could have picked him up for cheap when everyone's feathers were still ruffled, I would not have minded if the Flames had have taken a gamble...

As for Athanasiou, that will still be worth some laughs for a while...

Re: AA - Bill Daly told him the cap was going up....

I get the sense that JP will not be getting top 6 play.

His linemates will include Real Seal James Neal and some random C.

At least they won't send him down to the AHL.

Also, the cap hit makes him cheap in any deal he can get.

A couple of months should drive his value down.

19 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

So they keep their crappy goaltending duo together again, they lose Klefbom who is their only defenseman who knows how to play defense, and they add Barrie who can't play defense.

Looks like we won't have to worry about the Oilers next year.

fire burning GIF

They are only concerned with scoring goals and individual awards.

AT least they added depth at C by signing Turris.

But it will be fun to see them lose games 6-5 or 4-0.

Mike Smith is 38 already.

Holy Crap.