Oilers

5 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Welcome here all Oiler forums posters. 

I know most of you to see your handle even though I didn't post there much anymore.

Forums are an outlet for voicing your opinion. Much better than tweets or instagrams because there is little restrictions to hold back the discussion and it is multi directional not just one way.

It is not an issue to disagree but rather more important that you have an outlet for your opinion even if you are wrong..

I was somewhat disappointed in OMB when they removed criticism of Oiler management back when everyone was calling for KL's head. I understand why, just it showed no backbone. It was not the only manipulation of speech and media.

You will find that here the rules are relaxed with the exception you can't get personal. 

Welcome those who move in here.. make yourself at home.

DD

I like discussion forums because they allow for lengthy discussions in a way that other social media do not. There are a lot of long, deep posts by members of this forum that allow people to think more deeply about issues. Of course, we have a lot of great posters here with significant knowledge of the sport and the CBA. Great thing going on here. Heck, even Oiler fans can't help but stop by!

I also appreciate that the Flames have allowed for open discussion.

On 10/2/2019 at 7:05 PM, Cowtownguy said:

I like discussion forums because they allow for lengthy discussions in a way that other social media do not. There are a lot of long, deep posts by members of this forum that allow people to think more deeply about issues. Of course, we have a lot of great posters here with significant knowledge of the sport and the CBA. Great thing going on here. Heck, even Oiler fans can't help but stop by!

I also appreciate that the Flames have allowed for open discussion.

Exactly.  Social media is getting to be little more than one liners and drive-by's.  Message boards and forums are still in my opinion the best way to discuss and debate a topic.

8 hours ago, bronco73 said:

Exactly.  Social media is getting to be little more than one liners and drive-by's.  Message boards and forums are still in my opinion the best way to discuss and debate a topic.

Early thought on Smith?

We've seen that version before. 

I get some fans are drooling over Neal's 2 goal game, but honestly Keegan Lowe could have scored two on the PP with McD.

On 10/7/2019 at 7:13 AM, travel_dude said:

Early thought on Smith?

We've seen that version before. 

I get some fans are drooling over Neal's 2 goal game, but honestly Keegan Lowe could have scored two on the PP with McD.

that first was some sort of scary, he made up for it in the second and third though.  Our problem though is not Smith's occasional gaffe when playing the puck, it's more that his partner has the leagues worst glove.  Until Koskinen can show he belongs in the NHL by actually stopping a puck on the glove side we have to put up with the lesser of two evils lol

ended up being a 4 goal game for Neal, good for him because this is really his last shot at being a difference maker in the NHL.  He's really playing well for us for sure.

2 hours ago, bronco73 said:

that first was some sort of scary, he made up for it in the second and third though.  Our problem though is not Smith's occasional gaffe when playing the puck, it's more that his partner has the leagues worst glove.  Until Koskinen can show he belongs in the NHL by actually stopping a puck on the glove side we have to put up with the lesser of two evils lol

ended up being a 4 goal game for Neal, good for him because this is really his last shot at being a difference maker in the NHL.  He's really playing well for us for sure.

I thought James Neal can score 20-goals with McDavid this season but based on this start, looks like 30 is in range.

2 seasons ago Neal had 6 goals in his first 4 games and 10 in his first 17, wound up with 25 for the season. Color me very skeptical this is going to keep up. 

I'll give him this, he looks far more engaged from what i've seen. There was maybe a month or 2 all last season where I would call Neal engaged so he does appear motivated. however, he doesn't look any faster so while the start is cool i'm not sure this is going to last. 

But i could also really care less what he does. Wasn't going to happen here anyway. 

5 minutes ago, displaced oil fan said:

The whole Oil team looks engaged. They seemed to be more focused and playing a full 200' and 60 minutes. I know its still early in the season, but we're off to a good start. Looking forward to the first BoA

Good start against sub-par teams.

Not being condescending, just saying.

NYI is going to be bad this season, and Varly in nets is a real shame.

Credit where credit is due, the top line is clicking.

Doesn't matter who's on the top PP, they will score.

Kassian, Chaisson, Neal....

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Good start against sub-par teams.

Not being condescending, just saying.

NYI is going to be bad this season, and Varly in nets is a real shame.

Credit where credit is due, the top line is clicking.

Doesn't matter who's on the top PP, they will score.

Kassian, Chaisson, Neal....

One of those sub-par teams beat you guys in OT last night... j/s

57 minutes ago, displaced oil fan said:

Helps if you get 5 PP opportunities against the Kings.

And 5 against the Isles.

Just saying.  :) 

Honestly, I am surprised we managed to tie it up, considering Campbell is a better goalie than Quick.

Bennett was in rare form taking a penalty in the last minute of play.

Up to that point, the refs were fairly restrained.

59 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Helps if you get 5 PP opportunities against the Kings.

And 5 against the Isles.

Just saying.  :) 

Honestly, I am surprised we managed to tie it up, considering Campbell is a better goalie than Quick.

Bennett was in rare form taking a penalty in the last minute of play.

Up to that point, the refs were fairly restrained.

This is absolutely true.  I've often argued that power plays (and kills) can make or break a team.  Last year, the Flames had 275 power play opportunities vs. Edmontons 222.   Not arguing whether or not they were earned or deserved, that's a whole different ball game and not my intent here.  But power play opportunities are huge, and can be the difference in every game played.   Using an average 25% success rate and 53 more opportunities for Calgary, that equates to 13.25 goals of which many would have been scored in wins that were a 1 goal difference.  Teams with more power play opportunities win more games than teams that do not (unless their power play is REALLY bad of course)

This year Calgary is at 10 PP opportunities after 3 games and Edmonton is at 12.  Is it THE reason Edmonton has won 3 games? No.. but it definitely contributes.

I honestly believe that Tkachuk should have been called for the high stick on his goal, that being said the missed call cannot be reviewed since the goal was scored after the high stick and he re-connected with the puck at the ice level.  Fortunate bounce and referee oversight, and it got you a point for it.   The first period sucked but man the second and third sure made up for it.  Fun game to watch.

3 hours ago, displaced oil fan said:

To make the playoffs, you just have to beat the teams you are supposed to beat.  It's kind of that simple.  If you lose to the Blues, Knights, Flames, etc, that's no big deal.  The Oilers absolutely have to beat the Kings, Canucks, etc.  

1 hour ago, bronco73 said:

I honestly believe that Tkachuk should have been called for the high stick on his goal, that being said the missed call cannot be reviewed since the goal was scored after the high stick and he re-connected with the puck at the ice level.  Fortunate bounce and referee oversight, and it got you a point for it.   The first period sucked but man the second and third sure made up for it.  Fun game to watch.

I agree, but I will say i think that's good karma considering a missed high stick in Colorado potentially cost them a point there.

but no questions, that Tkachuk goal was a gift. Should not have counted. 

3 hours ago, bronco73 said:

I only had a few views of it, and didn't waste too much time.

What I saw was the puck made contact below the crossbar, and he kinda lacrossed it down and batted it in.

Oversight or not, it was reviewed, but the old addage is that it must be conclusive.

The coach could have also called for a review had they not reviewed it.

The difference between that goal and the Landeskog assist, was that took place in the neutral zone.

The refs refused to review it themselves and refused to allow the challenge (rightly according to the rules).

The other difference is that when you make contact above you head, that is obviously above the shoulders (standard for high stick that leads to another person scoring.

In reference to the rest of your post, the the impact was obvious.  

The Oilers scored 2 in a games they won 6-5.

Tied it up on one and GWG on the other.

They scored 2 in a game they won 5-2.

Go ahead goal on the first and 3-1 lead on the next.

11 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I only had a few views of it, and didn't waste too much time.

What I saw was the puck made contact below the crossbar, and he kinda lacrossed it down and batted it in.

Oversight or not, it was reviewed, but the old addage is that it must be conclusive.

The coach could have also called for a review had they not reviewed it.

The difference between that goal and the Landeskog assist, was that took place in the neutral zone.

The refs refused to review it themselves and refused to allow the challenge (rightly according to the rules).

The other difference is that when you make contact above you head, that is obviously above the shoulders (standard for high stick that leads to another person scoring.

In reference to the rest of your post, the the impact was obvious.  

The Oilers scored 2 in a games they won 6-5.

Tied it up on one and GWG on the other.

They scored 2 in a game they won 5-2.

Go ahead goal on the first and 3-1 lead on the next.

ya the actual goal was after tkachuk knocked it down to ice level and caught it on his stick (nice stick work btw) so the goal itself was a good goal, IF it was a high stick (which I believe it was) the play had to be whistled dead before the goal.  Since it was missed, the goal itself was good.  I think that's the same in both situations to be honest.  Flames got robbed on one and benefited from the other.  I posted an image of where I thought the high stick occurred last night below.  One thing for sure is, this was a LOT closer of a call than the Colorado high stick which was unarguable.

136cfd3e8d7bc8cd88a91799be9d69f0.png

Thanks for looking those stats up.  I'm sure that the above stats would be approximately the same (well let's be honest, better lol) for flames power play goals last year (and this) as well, it shows that special teams are very important and power play time can and does make a big difference in how a team fares in the standings.  IMO it's true for all teams.

1 hour ago, bronco73 said:

ya the actual goal was after tkachuk knocked it down to ice level and caught it on his stick (nice stick work btw) so the goal itself was a good goal, IF it was a high stick (which I believe it was) the play had to be whistled dead before the goal.  Since it was missed, the goal itself was good.  I think that's the same in both situations to be honest.  Flames got robbed on one and benefited from the other.  I posted an image of where I thought the high stick occurred last night below.  One thing for sure is, this was a LOT closer of a call than the Colorado high stick which was unarguable.

136cfd3e8d7bc8cd88a91799be9d69f0.png

Thanks for looking those stats up.  I'm sure that the above stats would be approximately the same (well let's be honest, better lol) for flames power play goals last year (and this) as well, it shows that special teams are very important and power play time can and does make a big difference in how a team fares in the standings.  IMO it's true for all teams.

By some angles, the Flames won that game in Tampa in '04.  :) 

Two angles they showed last night had the puck below his shoulders.

BTW, I misquoted before.  Crossbar is relevant if it's whacked in directly.

If you play the puck with a "high stick" before you whack it in, the puck has to be below your shoulders.  My bad.

https://www.nhl.com/video/tkachuk-bats-game-tying-goal/t-309895990/c-69470603

Have a watch of the actual play and freeze it if you like, around 56 seconds into it.

I don't think you see the puck contact his stick above his shoulders.

The angle is from behind the net and gives a better perspective of where the stick was in relation to his shoulders.

Draw a line between the puck and Campbell's shoulders and it's the same height, at the time he was in a crouch.

The other angle in the footage is decieving because it's from a weird angle.

Your pic is from that angle.

The stats I was referring to was exactly what I was talking about.

A huge contributing factor to two wins.

Has nothing to do with last year or a full year.

Has everything to do with 2 or 3 games.

Fun debate.

8 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

By some angles, the Flames won that game in Tampa in '04.  :) 

Two angles they showed last night had the puck below his shoulders.

BTW, I misquoted before.  Crossbar is relevant if it's whacked in directly.

If you play the puck with a "high stick" before you whack it in, the puck has to be below your shoulders.  My bad.

https://www.nhl.com/video/tkachuk-bats-game-tying-goal/t-309895990/c-69470603

Have a watch of the actual play and freeze it if you like, around 56 seconds into it.

I don't think you see the puck contact his stick above his shoulders.

The angle is from behind the net and gives a better perspective of where the stick was in relation to his shoulders.

Draw a line between the puck and Campbell's shoulders and it's the same height, at the time he was in a crouch.

The other angle in the footage is decieving because it's from a weird angle.

Your pic is from that angle.

The stats I was referring to was exactly what I was talking about.

A huge contributing factor to two wins.

Has nothing to do with last year or a full year.

Has everything to do with 2 or 3 games.

Fun debate.

haha debate?  Just fun discussion ;)  whether it's 2 or 3 games or a decades worth, power play and pk time will always be a factor in how well a team fares. 

I'm still of the opinion that it was knocked down with a high stick... but that being said officials miss calls in every game.  They aren't robots, and often I get drawn in to complaining about officiating without taking that moment to realize just how hard their jobs are.   Both goals were controversial, both COULD or perhaps should have been called.  They weren't,  and there is no changing it now.  I hate to say it but the Flames did deserve at least a tie in that game though, they were the better team in both second and third periods.

Last season Neal had a S% of 5%...   So far this season he has a S% of 42.9%, and I'd be willing to bet beer that he won't keep that up, not even close...   :lol:

He will do better than last season, for a couple of reasons...   He couldn't possibly play any worse, and he should also have the incentive of embarrassment and not wanting to close out his career being known as a pylon...   

2 hours ago, bronco73 said:

haha debate?  Just fun discussion ;)  whether it's 2 or 3 games or a decades worth, power play and pk time will always be a factor in how well a team fares. 

I'm still of the opinion that it was knocked down with a high stick... but that being said officials miss calls in every game.  They aren't robots, and often I get drawn in to complaining about officiating without taking that moment to realize just how hard their jobs are.   Both goals were controversial, both COULD or perhaps should have been called.  They weren't,  and there is no changing it now.  I hate to say it but the Flames did deserve at least a tie in that game though, they were the better team in both second and third periods.

I find early season hockey to be like pre-season.

Schedules favoring a team by having them ply against a team on game 2 of a B2B,  Wink wink.

Teams don;t really know what their goalies will be, so they make odd choices.

Players on new teams, adjusting to it or playing like fire.

When the Oilers do have a good season, I will be interested in the autopsy. They have had many great picks over the years, so what was the delay in building that team? How can a team with the best winning streak in terms of picks also have one of the worst losing streaks in terms of play?

38 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

When the Oilers do have a good season, I will be interested in the autopsy. They have had many great picks over the years, so what was the delay in building that team? How can a team with the best winning streak in terms of picks also have one of the worst losing streaks in terms of play?

Hockey Karma...   

On 10/9/2019 at 9:20 PM, Cowtownguy said:

Oilers greatest failure was they were incapable of graduating mid-late round picks into the NHL.  This means they have to overpay for depth players and they are usually leftovers that other teams don't want.

7 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Oilers greatest failure was they were incapable of graduating mid-late round picks into the NHL.  This means they have to overpay for depth players and they are usually leftovers that other teams don't want.

I spend most of my time thinking about the Flames, so I am no Oilers expert. It seemed that they had some solid teams some years and never made it work. Something was always wrong. 

I can only imagine what McDavid would do on a team with more talent. 

The transition this summer to Holland/Tippett is a whole new era. Fans don't like his methods, but most players under Tippett will say he's the best coach they've ever had. This obviously ties together with Neil and how Tippett goes about his business. He's an excellent coach. Lull them to sleep for 50 minutes, "okay stars, go be stars". I'd say he's a dangerous coach, for sure. He'll coach some wins.