We are ̶A̶r̶e̶ ̶w̶e̶ a playoff bound team ̶?̶

CheersMan

Hopefully that win & scoring a goal before their opponent goes a long way to restore confidence.

Still looking like the Wings will be clipped & 25 yrs of playoffs comes to an end.

Speaking of 25. April 4th will mark the 25th consecutive regular season game that the Flames didn't lose in Anaheim.

Yes, that's right! The Flames in Anaheim losing streak ends at 24!

2016-17%20Playoff%20Projection%202017-01

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^^^^^

When I look at STL's struggles this year, I wonder if they will be able to recover and get back into the race.  Yes, they are still projected higher, but their GA seems to be higher than I can ever remember.  They are tied with ARI for goals against and actually have 3 more than CGY; that after 20 goal against in 4 games (and 2 against OTT).

The teams we have to compete with for the last Wild Card spots are:

Nashville

St. Louis

LA 

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

^^^^^^

When I look at STL's struggles this year, I wonder if they will be able to recover and get back into the race.  Yes, they are still projected higher, but their GA seems to be higher than I can ever remember.  They are tied with ARI for goals against and actually have 3 more than CGY; that after 20 goal against in 4 games (and 2 against OTT).

Nashville

St. Louis

LA 

You are not including Vancouver?

3 hours ago, robrob74 said:

You are not including Vancouver?

Im assuming he doesnt think vancouver will keep its current pace. Im not sure how I feel about vancouver, their D corp isent particularly good, and they lack depth at forward/high end skill. I just dont know if they can mantain their current pace, and I think their future is going down the toilet.

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:

With an aging goalie and older sisters, I am not giving them much hope.  

They are only a point behind with two games in hand. And you're not taking into account that Horvat has taken a step in development this year. Not saying they're great by any stretch, but they did just leapfrog us in the standings. So all I am saying is you can't discount them. They'll probably fall, but then again, Coach has them playing D first hockey, and they know they have to play it tight to win.

On January 26, 2017 at 1:33 PM, MAC331 said:

Facts not excuses, sorry you get confused over which is which. We have good management and good coaches who's job is to advance the plan for this team. Even with good and bad play experience is gained, something this team is going to have to work through together. Weaknesses will get identified and dealt with accordingly, at least we hope so.

Facts are Gm and coaches have voiced the same issues i have. The words embarrassing and pathetic come to mind, their words my agreement. Have they identified the weakness are they being dealt with? Chaission is a waste of roster space, which if not mistaken you wanted on the 1st line. Why do we constantly take other teams cast offs and hope we can solve the mystery. What happened to jg should not have happened. Management advocated  more grit, more speed and puck possesion. We have gotten softer, slower and still dump and chase. I am not advocating a coaching change or management change, just a hard working effort. If they played with passion and lost i could care less. My concern this is year 2 of a roster that seems to fold shen it hits adversity

On ‎2017‎-‎01‎-‎27 at 9:43 PM, tmac70 said:

Facts are Gm and coaches have voiced the same issues i have. The words embarrassing and pathetic come to mind, their words my agreement. Have they identified the weakness are they being dealt with? Chaission is a waste of roster space, which if not mistaken you wanted on the 1st line. Why do we constantly take other teams cast offs and hope we can solve the mystery. What happened to jg should not have happened. Management advocated  more grit, more speed and puck possesion. We have gotten softer, slower and still dump and chase. I am not advocating a coaching change or management change, just a hard working effort. If they played with passion and lost i could care less. My concern this is year 2 of a roster that seems to fold shen it hits adversity

Roster changes on the fly are hard to make during a season. In regards to Chiasson, he represent a cheap option to add some size and potential scoring, not ideal but worth trying. He hasn't fit the bill on the JG/SM line however I disagree he doesn't belong here. I agree this team needs to hit more in order to gain some respect on the ice and the lack from certain players has been obvious. We shouldn't mix up slower with a more controlled style of play. There is nothing wrong with dumping so long as you gain control and have strong board control which again certain players have not shown a willingness to do.

We have a few ways to go now, Phase 1 read the riot act for better play which has been done. Phase 2 start sitting the players not delivering the desired team play. Phase 3 start bringing up the hungry farmhands to replace some players. You can't take away their incomes so there remains only so many ways to get an effective message across.

On 1/27/2017 at 8:57 AM, travel_dude said:

^^^^^^

Nashville

St. Louis

LA 

St Louis needs goaltending. No doubt they are regretting letting Elliott go at this point.

7 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

St Louis needs goaltending. No doubt they are regretting letting Elliott go at this point.

They made minor tweaks to their lineup; letting Backes go, opting to go with the young goalie...They had a perennial playoff team, but banked on the wrong goalie.  I am not saying that Elliott is playing lights out.  He did against the OIlers (shootout loss) and the SENS.  He may let in a stinky goal, but it's not him that folds.  I have less confidence in CJ, because he does not have the battle sense.  He's a backup that went on a roll.  

I get the "win and you're in" mantra, and it probably benefits Elliott right now, but isn't that what the coach has mostly done?  When CJ was dialed in, he got the next start automatically.  Then when CJ tailed off it was CJ wins, he gets the next start.  CJ has a good game and loses, he gets the next start.  Elliott has a good game and loses, CJ gets the next start.

If we could do a deal with TBL for Bishop for one of our goalies, I would consider it.  I think Bishop was too costly this summer.  They likely wanted the 6th overall, and it fell apart when we looked to be getting Tkachuk.  Could be wrong, but the timing seemed that way.  

15 hours ago, travel_dude said:

They made minor tweaks to their lineup; letting Backes go, opting to go with the young goalie...They had a perennial playoff team, but banked on the wrong goalie.  I am not saying that Elliott is playing lights out.  He did against the OIlers (shootout loss) and the SENS.  He may let in a stinky goal, but it's not him that folds.  I have less confidence in CJ, because he does not have the battle sense.  He's a backup that went on a roll.  

I get the "win and you're in" mantra, and it probably benefits Elliott right now, but isn't that what the coach has mostly done?  When CJ was dialed in, he got the next start automatically.  Then when CJ tailed off it was CJ wins, he gets the next start.  CJ has a good game and loses, he gets the next start.  Elliott has a good game and loses, CJ gets the next start.

If we could do a deal with TBL for Bishop for one of our goalies, I would consider it.  I think Bishop was too costly this summer.  They likely wanted the 6th overall, and it fell apart when we looked to be getting Tkachuk.  Could be wrong, but the timing seemed that way.  

I think GG's goalie announcement helps him manage the situation as he needed to adjust his thinking as much as anybody. I see the Flames riding out the goalies we have for this season. They are both good goalies and giving up the required assets for someone like Bishop now isn't worth it.

We start today out of the Playoffs. It's a tough call as St. Louis has a couple games in hand. 

Do we concentrate on LA most? Or do we just put our heads down and take it one game at a time? 

I guess GG's message will be, focus on us and we should win. 

Hope we get another good game tonight, and Johnny/Mony keep rolling. 

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

We start today out of the Playoffs. It's a tough call as St. Louis has a couple games in hand. 

Do we concentrate on LA most? Or do we just put our heads down and take it one game at a time? 

I guess GG's message will be, focus on us and we should win. 

Hope we get another good game tonight, and Johnny/Mony keep rolling. 

You focus on what you can control.  There should be no reason to give up or tale your foot off the gas.  EDM has lost two in a row. STL is tied in points with us and WPG is one point back (with one more game played).  

Win the games you have in front of you and let the teams with games in hand worry about winning their games.

^^^

After all the talk of the central being the strongest division in the league for many years & the pacific being pretty well the 3 California teams + no competition it's strange to see the year shaping up as Pacific sending 4 or 5 teams rather than the usual Central with both wild card spots.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

For everyone saying Monahan has regressed:

Last year after 55 games:

17 goals and 39 points

This year after 55 games:

19 goals 35 points

Pretty much on the same pace as last year despite missing most of training camp with a back injury.

What you are saying is, we have another Iginla on our hands? Slow starter? Good thing we had Backlund to pick up the slack then. 

4 hours ago, JTech780 said:

For everyone saying Monahan has regressed:

Last year after 55 games:

17 goals and 39 points

This year after 55 games:

19 goals 35 points

Pretty much on the same pace as last year despite missing most of training camp with a back injury.

It's the 5 game droughts that he goes through that is concerning.  And no, I don't think he has regressed.  His defensive hasn't taken any real leaps forward.  

He is taking far more shot per game now.  That is a good thing.  

In a different system, he is going to have trouble generating speed.  A lot of stops and starts.  I think he is adjusting to the new system, just not generatng as much off the rush. 

12 hours ago, robrob74 said:

What you are saying is, we have another Iginla on our hands? Slow starter? Good thing we had Backlund to pick up the slack then. 

Monahan is the least of our worries, he is about as solid of a performer as you get. Hard to say if he is a slow starter as a trend, as JT said he had the back issue and a system learning curve to deal with this year and is still ahead of where was last season. The two players I have concerns about this season are Gaudreau and Bennett.

OOT scorenboard helped us again but the Avalanche kept pace by thrashing the Habs.

Currently looking like CGY - LAK - STL fighting for the 2 WC spots.

VAN - DAL - WPG fading somewhat.

In the East, the Rangers virtually have one of the WC spots locked up.

2016-17%20Playoff%20Projection%202017-02

49 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Monahan is the least of our worries, he is about as solid of a performer as you get. Hard to say if he is a slow starter as a trend, as JT said he had the back issue and a system learning curve to deal with this year and is still ahead of where was last season. The two players I have concerns about this season are Gaudreau and Bennett.

I am surprised about your analysis of Monahan. How quickly we forget he struggled well into the season well beyond the back issues, and training camp. Even in his first 3 or 4 games of the recent streak he wasn't great, just getting goals in spite of losing. He wasn't dominant or anything untilthe last five of that streak.

so I don't give Monahan a pass yet this year. If anything, he is aC+

i am not worried abour Bennett. If we wanted him to score, I think he would do better off the wing. We are seeing a 20 year old learning C position. We lived with Monahan and sheltered him quite a bit in year 1. This is essentially Bennett's year 1 of C.

29 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I am surprised about your analysis of Monahan. How quickly we forget he struggled well into the season well beyond the back issues, and training camp. Even in his first 3 or 4 games of the recent streak he wasn't great, just getting goals in spite of losing. He wasn't dominant or anything untilthe last five of that streak.

so I don't give Monahan a pass yet this year. If anything, he is aC+

i am not worried abour Bennett. If we wanted him to score, I think he would do better off the wing. We are seeing a 20 year old learning C position. We lived with Monahan and sheltered him quite a bit in year 1. This is essentially Bennett's year 1 of C.

I haven't forgotten anything, a lot of things didn't go right for the entire team while they came through the learning curve with this system. It is also no secret that Monahan has thrived with is scoring by having his linemate Gaudreau at the top of his game which he has not been. I won't even get into trying to compensate for an average RW on their line. My analysis of this team as a whole is as everyone has adapted to their system the top players are starting to emerge with some success. I mention Gaudreau and Bennett only because I think their play remains sloppy with way to many turnovers or not making plays. Bennett actually looked better the last few games which is a good sign.

Hopefully this break will get us tighter and cure up the bumps and bruises we never know about.

I think we aren't playing badly, but I expect a big push after getting this timely break.

What really concerns me, is how many/how much Wideman gaffes can we withstand?

Seems for every one that causes a goal, the goalies bail him out 3 other times.

He looks like a #7 at best yet logs 20 minutes/game.

If I'm the opposing coach I'm just loading to our right every time he's out there, pushing the puck past him when he's at my blueline and take the 2-on-1 handouts like candy.

It's like he's mad at the Flames for the ref handling, but we didn't crosscheck the ref, it was his mess.

I'm still hopeful he finds a spark and starts playing, but man he is miserable. Even in autograph signings, he just seems put out and not very friendly.

Do we not have a psychologist?

I hate getting on the guy while he's down, but man he is hard to watch and his body language even shows it. No confidence and he just doesn't seem to care.

I've said my peace, now I'll just pray that he puts his helmet on and shows the haters some give-a-care.

31 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Hopefully this break will get us tighter and cure up the bumps and bruises we never know about.

I think we aren't playing badly, but I expect a big push after getting this timely break.

What really concerns me, is how many/how much Wideman gaffes can we withstand?

Seems for every one that causes a goal, the goalies bail him out 3 other times.

He looks like a #7 at best yet logs 20 minutes/game.

If I'm the opposing coach I'm just loading to our right every time he's out there, pushing the puck past him when he's at my blueline and take the 2-on-1 handouts like candy.

It's like he's mad at the Flames for the ref handling, but we didn't crosscheck the ref, it was his mess.

I'm still hopeful he finds a spark and starts playing, but man he is miserable. Even in autograph signings, he just seems put out and not very friendly.

Do we not have a psychologist?

I hate getting on the guy while he's down, but man he is hard to watch and his body language even shows it. No confidence and he just doesn't seem to care.

I've said my peace, now I'll just pray that he puts his helmet on and shows the haters some give-a-care.

More importantly I hope BT is racking his brains out trying to figure out a way to rid us of Wideman. Is there a deal possibly with TB for Sustr if we pay most of his remaining salary and provide a 3rd round pick ? Maybe they think they can get some offense out of him.

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

More importantly I hope BT is racking his brains out trying to figure out a way to rid us of Wideman. Is there a deal possibly with TB for Sustr if we pay most of his remaining salary and provide a 3rd round pick ? Maybe they think they can get some offense out of him.

I have a really hard time imagining the scenario, and he has a NMC.

With the money he's made, I could see him retiring vs anything else.

I don't know if he has any try left, do it again next year for $1,000,000? I can see "why" getting in the way.

Feaster paid him enough, what's the point?

Archived