Glen Gulutzan-16th Flames Coach

phoenix66

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

The power of negativity will get us through this, I'm certain. :ph34r:

Things don't get better until there's a touch of reality.

Our closest run to the cup in the last 20 years (2004) was initiated by Horrible hockey (aftermath of Gilmour trade).

Things got so unmistakenly raw, that the organisation had to admit their mistakes, go through a rebuild, and remarket the product (the Young Guns)...

Put it another way....sometimes things have to get bad before they get better.   Anyone who thought the rebuild was over....let's hope this isn't the final product.

12+step_a2c1c8_3710970.jpg

all of this would be precisely why i don't put any stock into standings, personal stats  etc until about Christmas. Right now Vancouver and Edmonton are tied for 1st place overall. Anaheim also only has one win, Chicago just 2.

While yes, i have no desire to start off with another 2 for 11 run, I am seeing a lot of good things that tells me we just need to be patient

3 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

all of this would be precisely why i don't put any stock into standings, personal stats  etc until about Christmas. Right now Vancouver and Edmonton are tied for 1st place overall. Anaheim also only has one win, Chicago just 2.

While yes, i have no desire to start off with another 2 for 11 run, I am seeing a lot of good things that tells me we just need to be patient

Welcome back nonetheless!

Patience? What are we, Doctors?

lol

People are too demanding. This is a team that is still building something. Sometimes when you build you have to take a step back before you take two forward. Hartley won, sort of, but I think the flames lacked a lot of the small details you need to be a true and perennial contender. Gulutzan is trying to stress those details. 

Could be wrong but that's how I see it. Sucks as a fan but long term I think it will pay off. 

2 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

People are too demanding. This is a team that is still building something. Sometimes when you build you have to take a step back before you take two forward. Hartley won, sort of, but I think the flames lacked a lot of the small details you need to be a true and perennial contender. Gulutzan is trying to stress those details. 

Could be wrong but that's how I see it. Sucks as a fan but long term I think it will pay off. 

I'll agree here.  

What I'm trying to say is that I'm happy with the system change because it's needed.  Hartley took the Flames as far as we can go.  It's just, we lack pace.  We lack urgency like there is no fire in our players.  We aren't playing like we are 5 points out of a playoff spot with 3 games to go in the season.  At times we are going slow motion.  Only one or two guys are skating and the others are just floating around.  If this is by design then that's awful.

15 hours ago, cross16 said:

Most fans just want wins they don't care how they happen. I have to think from management on down to hiring GG they want a possession type team and these new systems are a huge change to BH's run, stretch and gun offense. It takes time to implement change and not having key players around for camp has extended the learning into the season.

Yes this is frustrating for fans but it has to happen. I actually thought there were a number of positive improvements in last night's game.

14 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I'll agree here.  

What I'm trying to say is that I'm happy with the system change because it's needed.  Hartley took the Flames as far as we can go.  It's just, we lack pace.  We lack urgency like there is no fire in our players.  We aren't playing like we are 5 points out of a playoff spot with 3 games to go in the season.  At times we are going slow motion.  Only one or two guys are skating and the others are just floating around.  If this is by design then that's awful.

Peeps that wasn't really directed at your I get where you are coming from and I agree. I think the lack of pace if overthinking. No system is designed to slow a team down and a system cannot can't teach a player to play with urgency. That's on the players. 

4 hours ago, cross16 said:

Peeps that wasn't really directed at your I get where you are coming from and I agree. I think the lack of pace if overthinking. No system is designed to slow a team down and a system cannot can't teach a player to play with urgency. That's on the players. 

Urgency will come after the system is second nature. At least that is the hope. Going through the motions is part of learning. Hopefully it starts to stick and the core starts scoring.

Defense is worse then Hartleys structure. When will Canadian teams figure out that continuity is best? Hartley is a smart guy he would of made his defensive structure better. Say what you want about Hartley but the defense wasn't caught flat footed as much. When you bring an all out pressure defense it catches guys flat footed. There has to be balance.

When a team is rebuilding they need continuity. You can't be switching personell. The team seems lost and are starting from scratch with a new coach and they're everywhere. NHL is a pro league and they can't afford multiple changes. Now all players are starting from scratch to learn a new system which takes time. As we all know time is not on a pro players side.

5 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Urgency will come after the system is second nature. At least that is the hope. Going through the motions is part of learning. Hopefully it starts to stick and the core starts scoring.

SM was learning he had a good 3years. JG was learning he had a good 3 years too. Now they're faced with a new system to bring corsi up. Gulutzen is bringing in a pressure defense to bring the corsi up. The Flames have a good defense. Maybe listen to the captain on ideas on how to proceed with defensive structure. I'm sure Gio knows more then Gulutzen, does he's in the guts every game. Some Coaches need to listen to player input more then their own Ideals.

17 minutes ago, TheFan99 said:

Defense is worse then Hartleys structure. When will Canadian teams figure out that continuity is best? Hartley is a smart guy he would of made his defensive structure better. Say what you want about Hartley but the defense wasn't caught flat footed as much.

Hartley went an entire season banging his head against the wall by repeating what was not working...

21 minutes ago, TheFan99 said:

Say what you want about Hartley but the defense wasn't caught flat footed as much

You have a point there...   Hartley had them busy diving all over the ice trying to block shots...   It's hard to get caught flat footed when you are sliding across the rink on your belly...

Harley was fired 6 months ago.....   No other team offered him a job either, and that says a lot about what the general consensus of opinion as to how other teams management felt about how he handled coaching the Flames last season...      He hit his typical 4 year stale-date, he is gone and he ain't coming back...

I know what your saying but goaltending got Hartley done in. Our Defense is fast and smart. They shouldn't be being caught flat footed constantly. If I were Glen I would be picking Gios brain as what to do. Hope they can straighten things out fast. I'm sure they will. To talented to be flat footed.

13 minutes ago, TheFan99 said:

I know what your saying but goaltending got Hartley done in. Our Defense is fast and smart. They shouldn't be being caught flat footed constantly. If I were Glen I would be picking Gios brain as what to do. Hope they can straighten things out fast. I'm sure they will. To talented to be flat footed.

If you think the record was the only thing that did in BH, then you are ignoring a lot of the things said by the GM.  IT was a lot to do with how they lost.  Being constantly out-coached by other teams.  Continuing to do things that hadn't worked all season.  And that's just the games that we saw.  BT also talked about a lack of being on the same page as management.  About questionable players usage.  About possession being more important than just winning faceoffs.  

Gio can only say so much.  He excelled by being able to play a wide open game.  I think the D are struggling because they are still thinking about what they are doing.  If you are pinching, then pinch and make sure the forward knows what's going on.  If you are skating the puck into the O-zone, make sure people are not expecting a dump in.  Communication is key out there.  The players have to know what each other is doing.

Canadian Teams are having troubles qualifying for the playoffs. It has to be in a large way because of a lack of continuity. Being a pro player has to be tough you have news paper media, fans, reporters, coaches, travel, appearances, practice, teammates, families. The one thing that should be comfortable for them is the play on the ice. I hope BT and GG are here for the next 10 years. I like GG because he seems like a players coach I'm sure the boys will get it.

Just now, travel_dude said:

If you think the record was the only thing that did in BH, then you are ignoring a lot of the things said by the GM.  IT was a lot to do with how they lost.  Being constantly out-coached by other teams.  Continuing to do things that hadn't worked all season.  And that's just the games that we saw.  BT also talked about a lack of being on the same page as management.  About questionable players usage.  About possession being more important than just winning faceoffs.  

Gio can only say so much.  He excelled by being able to play a wide open game.  I think the D are struggling because they are still thinking about what they are doing.  If you are pinching, then pinch and make sure the forward knows what's going on.  If you are skating the puck into the O-zone, make sure people are not expecting a dump in.  Communication is key out there.  The players have to know what each other is doing.

I will guarantee the FAN one thing and that is no going back to the old BH system, ever. Also I highly doubt GG will be asking Giordano for advise of how to fix his own systems.

Some people slay me.

6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The D should know what they're doing because they've been together for awhile now? The forwards as well? Gio might excel in a wide open game but he still there defensively. The boys just look extremely lost and it's nerve racking lol!!

6 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I will guarantee the FAN one thing and that is no going back to the old BH system, ever. Also I highly doubt GG will be asking Giordano for advise of how to fix his own systems.

Some people slay me.

I know he's gone and it's like beating a dead horse but continuity is key and I hope BT and GG re here for a long time. Look what happen to the Oilers with constant change. We're rebuilding too and hope Murray Edwards lets BT and GG stay for a long long haul.

18 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I believe when GG was hired that Burke and Trevling preached more entertaining hockey better systems, priceless entertainment. So we changed coaches, systems and we are worse than last year. Your last comment is simply common hockey sense, you pinch I cover hockey 101. Our d are struggling worse under the new system than last years run and gun style, why do you think that is?

Again I know BH is gone but the team grew a lot under his tutelage. He taught Backlund, SM, JG, SamB, a 1/4 of the team. Wish BT would of stayed the course call in BH to the office and ask him what can be done differently. Maybe he did I don't, know but just stay the course from now on? ..right?

59 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

I believe when GG was hired that Burke and Trevling preached more entertaining hockey better systems, priceless entertainment. So we changed coaches, systems and we are worse than last year. Your last comment is simply common hockey sense, you pinch I cover hockey 101. Our d are struggling worse under the new system than last years run and gun style, why do you think that is?

All I can say from my view is the D is having major indecisive issues. Maybe not trusting their instincts because of a new system?

We need to be reminded that the highest paid coach in the league, Mike Babcock, took the Leafs to the worst record last season.  Todd Mclellan, a highly respected coach with some excellent San Jose teams, did no better than his predecessors with the Oilers.  It needs to be said that a coach can only do so much, especially in his first year.

So ya, i'm highly critical of our start so far but from what i can gather, the system works.  We need to play the way we play if we want to get to the next level. We can't play BH hockey and think we can win a Cup.  It was never going to happen.  

My biggest beef early into the season is that we lack urgency.  We finally saw some life in the team in the 3rd period against the Blues and if we can build on that, then i think the season can be saved.  If not, well... our problem seems to be goals against, again.  We changed the coach, system, and goalies... same results.  Maybe it's time to take a serious look at our D.  It's looking like Hamilton is going the way of Dion Phaneuf and we should cut him loose before he loses all trade value.  Giordano also doesn't have many prime years left and if we don't get anywhere this season with him as our captain, then that's a good reason we should give the C to someone else... and trade Gio.

But ya, no way we should change coaches right now, or the next 2 years at least.  We need to keep GG for the long haul, for consistency sake.

24 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

We need to be reminded that the highest paid coach in the league, Mike Babcock, took the Leafs to the worst record last season.  Todd Mclellan, a highly respected coach with some excellent San Jose teams, did no better than his predecessors with the Oilers.  It needs to be said that a coach can only do so much, especially in his first year.

So ya, i'm highly critical of our start so far but from what i can gather, the system works.  We need to play the way we play if we want to get to the next level. We can't play BH hockey and think we can win a Cup.  It was never going to happen.  

My biggest beef early into the season is that we lack urgency.  We finally saw some life in the team in the 3rd period against the Blues and if we can build on that, then i think the season can be saved.  If not, well... our problem seems to be goals against, again.  We changed the coach, system, and goalies... same results.  Maybe it's time to take a serious look at our D.  It's looking like Hamilton is going the way of Dion Phaneuf and we should cut him loose before he loses all trade value.  Giordano also doesn't have many prime years left and if we don't get anywhere this season with him as our captain, then that's a good reason we should give the C to someone else... and trade Gio.

But ya, no way we should change coaches right now, or the next 2 years at least.  We need to keep GG for the long haul, for consistency sake.

The team looks way more aggressive but aggressiveness takes you out of position. I'm with you on the Gio and Hamilton issue. Gio seems like he's lost a step and Hamilton seems slow too? Western conference is fast. Urgency is defitnely lacking. I would be disappointed with any upper personell changes in the next 5 years though.

Archived