Calgary Flames Drafting and Development: Your Analysis

rickross

Don't mind Kuemper as a target. I really don't want to part with anymore high picks though. That being said, maybe it's worth giving up a 1st for 4.5x2 on Kuemper instead of paying a Markstrom something ridiculous like 6.5x6.

Lebrun seems to be the most plugged in on the Flames. Friedman does good work, but it seems him and Treliving have a bit of an interesting relationship, just based on things he's said on his podcast.

Can we please stop giving up draft picks for 30+ year old goalies.

I like Treliving but giving up a 1st for Keumper is a fireable offense. The only way I would be fine with it, is if Hayton or Soderstrom was as part of the deal. I wouldn't give up a 1st for anyone else with Arizona.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I like Treliving but giving up a 1st for Keumper is a fireable offense. The only way I would be fine with it, is if Hayton or Soderstrom was as part of the deal. I wouldn't give up a 1st for anyone else with Arizona.

I like the target, but not the price.

Only way it makes sense to me is if we’re talking about a Flames team that ends up

with 2 1st’s due to a trade involving a core piece. In that case I would be ok with moving the later 1st. 

9 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I like the target, but not the price.

Only way it makes sense to me is if we’re talking about a Flames team that ends up

with 2 1st’s due to a trade involving a core piece. In that case I would be ok with moving the later 1st. 

I don't even like the target. Kuemper has only played 30 or more games twice in his career. I just don't get giving up assets for a guy who is 30 years old and has never shown that he be a legit starter in this league.

37 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

excited duck dynasty GIF

20 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I don't even like the target. Kuemper has only played 30 or more games twice in his career. I just don't get giving up assets for a guy who is 30 years old and has never shown that he be a legit starter in this league.

I don't really want to see the Flames trading any picks either. I'm done with spending futures on goalies and even overpaying for D via trade, something like 10 picks have been spent on Elliott/Smith/Hamonic/Hamilton/Stone. I like Kuemper, but I think he will go for a lot, let EDM overpay

56 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I don't really want to see the Flames trading any picks either. I'm done with spending futures on goalies and even overpaying for D via trade, something like 10 picks have been spent on Elliott/Smith/Hamonic/Hamilton/Stone. I like Kuemper, but I think he will go for a lot, let EDM overpay

The Yotes are going to do all they can to make up for the picks that were taken away by the league.  If he goes it will be an overpayment.

On one hand, it makes no sense to trade a 1st round pick for a 30-year-old career backup who had half a good season with 2-years remaining before UFA.

On the other hand, the owners have probably put a gun to BT's job and the mandate is to win in 2 years or else he's not getting an extension.  BT has got us this far.  He may as well go all in now.  There's no time left  for him and his core to be honest.  Gaudreau will walk for nothing in 2 years.  Just go all in now.

14 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I would give up a 1st for Chychrun.  Not interested in OEL (other target mentioned by Friedman).

Not sure that ARI would even consider that, but that's the kind of player I would give up a 1st for.

The goalie trade market is whacked.

Murray for a 1st?

Keumper for a 1st?

Keumper, when healthy, is a very good goalie and one i've liked for a while. But a 30 year old goalie with 2 years on his deal and who has never been a true starter in this league is not going to generate a 1st round pick. I honestly think the Yotes will be lucky to get a 2nd for him because the goalie market is going to be flooded with options.

- Keumper, Anderson and Matt Murray all rumored to be available in trade

- Some news that Vegas is learning towards offering Lehner a contract extension and putting Fleury on the block. If not Lehner is a free agent

- Some rumors Rangers might buyout Lundqvist. If they don't they have some younger goalies with the expansion draft looming

- Benning seems pretty adament they want Markstrom back. Can they do it and if they don't do they keep Demko then or move him before expansion draft?

- A few intriguing UFA options as well (Crawford, Talbot, Khudobin, Markstrom, Holtby)

Good luck getting a 1st round pick for a 30 year old goalie with those options available. I agree it is a fireable offence if he does it but none of me believes he would pay that price. I don't doubt the Flames are calling but they are not going to pull the trigger on that unless it's a bigger package. 

https://youtu.be/mM7D2WTX2QA

I think this might be the Lindros Trade Tree. It really outlines how all of the pieces in the trade turned into other pieces that might have turned into others. He brings the branch right from the original piece to the moment it ends, like when the players stop working for the Avs, the branch is finished.

it is neat to see how they used the parts, Traded They and turned those trades into players and picks and drafted more players and traded them or turned them into other picks... 

for us, A good tree was Kent Nilsson Turned into a 2nd rounder that turned into Niewendyk that turned into our Iginla. 

are their any others like that for us? 

https://www.tsn.ca/lawsuit-alleges-nhl-junior-leagues-working-together-to-limit-players-opportunities-1.1525101

This is really interesting and relates to our discussions around the CHL allowing players to play AHL after the draft. I can see where it comes from, yet, the teams are investing in developing players to be (possibly) top players in the world. So it's a catch-22. First, they're investing in the plaintiff to improve, yet, in the adult years of his Juinior career he's not able to earn more. 

I wonder if it's a thing where players play JR from 16-18/19, and then go play AHL? The onus on NHL teams to develop would be even higher. 

I get it, they're making money off of these players. But will that be possible with Covid?

7 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Depth for Stockton likely but a player who I could see working his way into a call up situation. Nice signing. 

Yeah I can see Kirkland being a call up for a 4th line role, he seems like the type of player who can be brought up and knows his role and plays it well. Sort of like a Lance Bouma.

33 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Flames trying to find a place for Zavgorodniy to play. 

I would like him to play in SHL if possible, or even the KHL/MHL.

Russia may make more sense for the language question, but I suspect he would not get much ice time in the KHL.

If I thought he was ready for the NHL, then he might be perfect for 2nd or 3rd line RW.

He's short but weighs 175 lbs.

That's pretty decent size.

41 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I know the KHL is a big step for a junior player to take.

But I wonder how far away from the NHL he really is.

He was pretty impressive at the Subway Series last year.

Sure, it's just junior players, but he shined.

I won't get all worked up about one KHL game, but you have to wonder.

Just thinking about fit for a minute, would he be right for Backlund or for Bennett.

Tkachuk-Backlund-Zav

Dube-Bennett-Mangiapane

or would this be more appropriate

Tkachuk-Backlund-Mangiapane

Dube-Bennett-Zav

I actually think both could work.  Bennett's line becomes less of a grinding line and more skill and speed.  Something he never had.