Calgary Flames Drafting and Development: Your Analysis

rickross

19 minutes ago, pikey7883 said:

I have been saying this for awhile, also why I was suggesting Ryan and a pick for Julien Gauthier (NYR), makes that fourth line a lot to handle. 

If we can get Gauthier from NYI we should be all over it...he’s one of those guys if you give him an opportunity he could shoot you the depth chart but he’s a solid bottom 6...I have a feeling he’s a Glencross type (not play style, well maybe a bit in the power forward sense) but more in the sense he could be a top 6 on the right team, plus he’s just an amazing fit though if he could be had I’d be more inclined to play him on the third and also, if we could swing Laine if look at:

Gaudreau/Monahan/Lindholm 

Tachuck/Bennet/Laine

manji/Backlund/Gauthier

lucic/ not sure/Dube 

thats a deadly lineup I’d actually be super ok with sending any of those lines out against any other team and any line.

come on BT find a way to land Laine and Gauthier PLEASE!!!???!!!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

If we can get Gauthier from NYI we should be all over it...he’s one of those guys if you give him an opportunity he could shoot you the depth chart but he’s a solid bottom 6...I have a feeling he’s a Glencross type (not play style, well maybe a bit in the power forward sense) but more in the sense he could be a top 6 on the right team, plus he’s just an amazing fit though if he could be had I’d be more inclined to play him on the third and also, if we could swing Laine if look at:

Gaudreau/Monahan/Lindholm 

Tachuck/Bennet/Laine

manji/Backlund/Gauthier

lucic/ not sure/Dube 

thats a deadly lineup I’d actually be super ok with sending any of those lines out against any other team and any line.

come on BT find a way to land Laine and Gauthier PLEASE!!!???!!!

You mean NY Rangers, not Isles.

SInce we seem to have all the forwards other than Ryan, I'm assuming that is your offer for Gauthier?

18 hours ago, travel_dude said:

You mean NY Rangers, not Isles.

SInce we seem to have all the forwards other than Ryan, I'm assuming that is your offer for Gauthier?

Lol auto correct yes and most likely yes, but hard so say kinda depends, I’d be ok with Dube (as much as I love the guy, he may be a better fit for the rangers) 

I find this interesting but full disclosure I know this won't be for everyone. Byron Bader runs Hockey Prospecting and he uses models to try and predict prospects success by using historical analysis, scoring rates adjusted by leagues, and try to put a % rate on success. His website if you want to read more: https://hockeyprospecting.com/

I point this out because while most publications and people are not high on the Flames prospects he has them 6th in the NHL and the 2020 draft jumped them from 17 to 5. He was a big fan of their draft and in his model they did well on almost every pick. 

I'm not necessarily a huge believer in the model, it's got pros and cons but it does identify some huge steals when you go back through past drafts. Just a prospective I found interesting. 

The Athletic's Corey Pronman updated his team rankings for young players. Here he grades teams on their 22 year old and younger talent base. 

Post 2020 draft the Flames moved up 2 spots from 12 to 10. He gave them a B for their 2020 grade.

Top 12:

1.Tkachuk

2. Zary

3. Dube

4. Valimaki

5. Pettersen

6. Poirier

7. Pelletier

8. Mackey

9. Gawdin

10. Francis

11. Yan Kunetsov

12. Nikolaev

He is a big fan of Zary so that explains the bump but not having Wolf in the top 12 is very odd to me. 

Craig Button also did his top 10 post draft but he only ranks prospects

1. Zary

2. Pelletier

3. Mackey

4. Wolf

5. Kuznetsov

6. Poirier

7.Ruzicka

8. Chechelev

9. Pettersen

10. Nikolaev

Things looking much better for the Flames after a solid 2020 draft. 

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

The Athletic's Corey Pronman updated his team rankings for young players. Here he grades teams on their 22 year old and younger talent base. 

Post 2020 draft the Flames moved up 2 spots from 12 to 10. He gave them a B for their 2020 grade.

Top 12:

1.Tkachuk

2. Zary

3. Dube

4. Valimaki

5. Pettersen

6. Poirier

7. Pelletier

8. Mackey

9. Gawdin

10. Francis

11. Yan Kunetsov

12. Nikolaev

He is a big fan of Zary so that explains the bump but not having Wolf in the top 12 is very odd to me. 

I usually take Pronman with a grain of salt, I find his view on prospects is a bit flawed. For instance I think he has Pelletier and Valimaki way too low on his list, and has Zary, Poirier and Pettersen too high. Gawdin (23) and Mackey (24) are also over 22.

If it was me:

Tkachuk

Valimaki

Dube

Zary

Pelletier

Wolf

Pettersen

Poirier

Zavgorodny

Ruzicka

Nikolaev

Pospisil

5 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I usually take Pronman with a grain of salt, I find his view on prospects is a bit flawed. For instance I think he has Pelletier and Valimaki way too low on his list, and has Zary, Poirier and Pettersen too high. Gawdin (23) and Mackey (24) are also over 22.

If it was me:

Tkachuk

Valimaki

Dube

Zary

Pelletier

Wolf

Pettersen

Poirier

Zavgorodny

Ruzicka

Nikolaev

Pospisil

he isn't my favorite either but I do like that he organizes his list based on young talent and not just prospects though. However, I agree his got some bias I don't agree with either. In particular I think he puts too much on offensive upside and tends to downgrade players who may not have that flair to their game but have smarts to make up for it. He doesn't seem to like Pelletier for that reason which is fine, I just see it differently. He also doesn't seems to follow goalies as much. 

My list is pretty close to yours the only different really being i'm not that high on Pospisil  but I think that's a fair consensus. I would probably put Josh Nodler ahead of Pospisil.

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

he isn't my favorite either but I do like that he organizes his list based on young talent and not just prospects though. However, I agree his got some bias I don't agree with either. In particular I think he puts too much on offensive upside and tends to downgrade players who may not have that flair to their game but have smarts to make up for it. He doesn't seem to like Pelletier for that reason which is fine, I just see it differently. He also doesn't seems to follow goalies as much. 

My list is pretty close to yours the only different really being i'm not that high on Pospisil  but I think that's a fair consensus. I would probably put Josh Nodler ahead of Pospisil.

I was deciding between Nodler and Pospisil on my list, I gave the edge to Pospisil just because he is closer to the NHL at this point in time, and I like the edge he plays with.

10 hours ago, JTech780 said:

If it was me:

Tkachuk

Valimaki

Dube

Zary

Pelletier

Wolf

Pettersen

Poirier

Zavgorodny

Ruzicka

Nikolaev

Pospisil

I think you have done a good job ranking them.

I do think Zavgotodny should be a lot higher.

I guess it depends on how he and Pettersen adjust, but I think Zav showed he wasn;t just Lafreniere's line mate.

18 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think you have done a good job ranking them.

I do think Zavgotodny should be a lot higher.

I guess it depends on how he and Pettersen adjust, but I think Zav showed he wasn;t just Lafreniere's line mate.

I think Pettersen, Poirier and Zavgorodny are all in the same tier, and I could see an argument for changing the order, I just have the other two as more likely to play in the NHL. I do like Zavgorodny and I think he does get forgotten about.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

I guess that was inevitable,

A good 1st game with 3 apples, followed by nada.

It might just be a numbers game with them, since the players associate with that team are many.

Of all the places in the world, Linden Vey is on that team.

Strange also how Askarov has only played less than 3 full games.

Great numbers in those 3, but only 3 nonetheless

Zary and Pelletier were named to Canada's WJC tryout roster.

They may be in tough to get a spot as with no NHL going on, players who would have been playing in the NHL will be available for this tournament. For example Chicago is allowing Kirby Dach to play for Canada.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

Zary and Pelletier were named to Canada's WJC tryout roster.

They may be in tough to get a spot as with no NHL going on, players who would have been playing in the NHL will be available for this tournament. For example Chicago is allowing Kirby Dach to play for Canada.

I would say that Pelletier may have a strong case to play.

Then again, they want fit not just skills and leadership.

I would have called Zary a borderline lock prior to the Dach news but now I don't even think he makes it. Byfield-Dach and Cozens would be locks and i think they'll got a different direction for that 4th line spot but maybe they take Zary for depth.

I think Pelletier should make it though. This year's version is full of skilled wingers but they lack someone like Pelletier to be that hard forechecking, ultra competitive role player. It's always an important role for Team Canada and Pelletier fits it probably the best on the roster so he should be there. But I can also see the argument for going with a more skilled approach, or more size. This is certainly not a big version of Team Canada and that may work against him. 

Pelletier's potential spot also likely hinges on Lafreniere and if he is there. Harder lineup to crack if he winds up playing (which i'll be a bit surprised if he does to be honest)

51 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I would have called Zary a borderline lock prior to the Dach news but now I don't even think he makes it. Byfield-Dach and Cozens would be locks and i think they'll got a different direction for that 4th line spot but maybe they take Zary for depth.

I think Pelletier should make it though. This year's version is full of skilled wingers but they lack someone like Pelletier to be that hard forechecking, ultra competitive role player. It's always an important role for Team Canada and Pelletier fits it probably the best on the roster so he should be there. But I can also see the argument for going with a more skilled approach, or more size. This is certainly not a big version of Team Canada and that may work against him. 

Pelletier's potential spot also likely hinges on Lafreniere and if he is there. Harder lineup to crack if he winds up playing (which i'll be a bit surprised if he does to be honest)

Yeah, I don't know why the Rags would even consider it.

He's almost guranteed to play in the NHL opening night.

Who cares if the season is delayed by a day or a week.

He would be risking his NHL start for a meaningless tournament.

Meaningless because he has already won Gold, used his perfformance to solidify his 1 OA status.

Risking it on amateur competition that has no real benefit to the NHL club.

I think Pelletier makes Team Canada. The Canadian team always like character and competitiveness in the bottom 6, Pelletier brings that. I think he's battling Jamieson Rees for a spot. 

I think Zary has a shot for the 13th forward role. The big wildcard is Shane Wright. I could see him making it as a 16, he's that talented. Bit unfortunate for Zary,  as an 01 this is his last chance at playing in the WJC.