Calgary Flames Drafting and Development: Your Analysis

rickross

#5 - TBL

#4 - Buffalo

#3 - Edmonton

#2 - Florida

#1 - Calgary Flames (with just passing reference to Bennett and no mention of Hamilton)

The Calgary big three were Gadreau, Monahan and Tkachuk.  His emphasis was actual NHL players and with Gaudreau & Monahan as 2 of the top8 under-25 scorers in the league it put us over the top.

Honorable mentions to Arizona and Winnipeg.

Thanks you cccsberg I appreicate that.

Interesting that they are number 1. I agree that they are right now but I wouldn't have thought a more mainstream media guy would name them there. Nice to see the Flames getting some credit. 

Interesting that they are number 1. I agree that they are right now but I wouldn't have thought a more mainstream media guy would name them there. Nice to see the Flames getting some credit. 

Glad to help out.  It is interesting, but he was primarily focusing on NHL results and the numbers speak for themselves, with Gaudreau at #6 overall in 2015-16 NHL scoring and Monahan #28 overall.  We may be a bit blasé about Johnny's numbers (lol, if that's possible!), he is by far and away the most successful really young player in the NHL.  

I agree and I'm shocked. All of our great young guys are East, so I guess it's osmosis!

I'm really interested to see what Johnny's got next, hopefully draws a lot more slashing penalties lol.

But I don't know what the ceiling is frankly. Can't hit him, can't draw him in and contain him, he's got the best feet I swear I've seen including Dats and Kane. He has another gear seemingly always. Vision. Stick.

Some guys are scary good, like Ovi, Crosby and Kane. But once in awhile, someone is scary good AND different.

He isn't going to be "hiding" in the West, he'll be replacing Datsyuk as the human highlight reel.

So there's that, lol.

What I have loved about Monahan since inception, is it doesn't matter if it's camp, preseason or league, watch him step out onto the ice at the beginning. It is confidence personified. His head is up with intense dignity and for me, it's a wow moment. This kid came to play. Always, always.

Boring Sean Monahan, lol. Love it. Getzlaf, Backes, Toews, those are some boring top C's.

Bennett (over tkachuk but I know it wasn't prescribed)

The opposite of boring I think is annoying. Calgary's huge struggle has been hooking him up with NHL talent.

They have two top 6 polar opposite C's that should drive any team nuts.

But they've floated him due to a lack of talent on the wings.

If they put him through the meat grinder again, they'll save dollars when the ELC runs out after this year.

Hard way to look at it, but yeah.

I don't doubt he'll score 30 in this league, standing on his head. Nothing more annoying than the guy that annoyed you just scored!

Yeah, and he didn't even mention Calgary's great young D.

That's my fault, I thought I'd typed it, but it was top 5 teams for forwards 25 and younger.

I didn't think the Flames would get much recognition, nor would be placed above EDM, so I was quite happy. They mentioned Bennett briefly but had Tkachuk as a featured player.

I agree and I'm shocked. All of our great young guys are East, so I guess it's osmosis!

I'm really interested to see what Johnny's got next, hopefully draws a lot more slashing penalties lol.

But I don't know what the ceiling is frankly. Can't hit him, can't draw him in and contain him, he's got the best feet I swear I've seen including Dats and Kane. He has another gear seemingly always. Vision. Stick.

Some guys are scary good, like Ovi, Crosby and Kane. But once in awhile, someone is scary good AND different.

He isn't going to be "hiding" in the West, he'll be replacing Datsyuk as the human highlight reel.

So there's that, lol.

What I have loved about Monahan since inception, is it doesn't matter if it's camp, preseason or league, watch him step out onto the ice at the beginning. It is confidence personified. His head is up with intense dignity and for me, it's a wow moment. This kid came to play. Always, always.

Boring Sean Monahan, lol. Love it. Getzlaf, Backes, Toews, those are some boring top C's.

Bennett (over tkachuk but I know it wasn't prescribed)

The opposite of boring I think is annoying. Calgary's huge struggle has been hooking him up with NHL talent.

They have two top 6 polar opposite C's that should drive any team nuts.

But they've floated him due to a lack of talent on the wings.

If they put him through the meat grinder again, they'll save dollars when the ELC runs out after this year.

Hard way to look at it, but yeah.

I don't doubt he'll score 30 in this league, standing on his head. Nothing more annoying than the guy that annoyed you just scored!

Agree about Johnny and BSM (Boring Sean M).

Bennett is hard to put a finger on.  He was sent out with a bunch of middling talent for part of the year and a shutdown line for the rest.  Played very little of center position.  I would suspect that they will not bury him at all and that he will have at least a Brouwer or a Frolik to help drive the play.  Bennett is pest-like, similar to Perry, so I think a lot of his goals will be from the slot and closer.  I would like to see him develop his speed game, so that he can finish the way Monahan and Johnny do, but that is just a personal preference.  

Agree about Johnny and BSM (Boring Sean M).

Bennett is hard to put a finger on.  He was sent out with a bunch of middling talent for part of the year and a shutdown line for the rest.  Played very little of center position.  I would suspect that they will not bury him at all and that he will have at least a Brouwer or a Frolik to help drive the play.  Bennett is pest-like, similar to Perry, so I think a lot of his goals will be from the slot and closer.  I would like to see him develop his speed game, so that he can finish the way Monahan and Johnny do, but that is just a personal preference.

Yes it's going to be very interesting to not only get Bennett some solid wingers (Tkachuk & Brouwer anyone?) but also to see what GG brings and how his changes impact the guys we already think we've got figured out.

Yes it's going to be very interesting to not only get Bennett some solid wingers (Tkachuk & Brouwer anyone?) but also to see what GG brings and how his changes impact the guys we already think we've got figured out.

There is someone we're not talking about much in Tyler Parsons.

London was stacked and yada yada, but you can't tell me Parsons wasn't huge for them.

It will be interesting to see what we got, I hope.

London was stacked and yada yada, but you can't tell me Parsons wasn't huge for them.

I agree, and was thrilled when we drafted him.  It'll likely be a couple years at the earliest before he gets a real shot in the AHL but hopefully he continues his solid play and the Flames start to back-up several pro-ready goalies.

As a second thought, I'm really interested to see what equipment changes the NHL goes with this year and next and its impact on all goalies.

Sometimes the guy on a stacked team that does nothing for long periods of time is overlooked.  When he is needed, he has to make the saves.  Very much like having a backup that is cold for 58 minutes of a game, then replaces the starter.  He has to make those saves.  Or he sits on the bench for 10 games in a row.  When he starts, he has to perform.

I agree, and was thrilled when we drafted him.  It'll likely be a couple years at the earliest before he gets a real shot in the AHL but hopefully he continues his solid play and the Flames start to back-up several pro-ready goalies.

As a second thought, I'm really interested to see what equipment changes the NHL goes with this year and next and its impact on all goalies.

One of the advantages of a guy like Elliott or Bishop is their overall size.  Without pads, MAF is small.  Without pads, Elliott is big.  We seem to have mostly picked big guys (Gillies, MacDonald, Rittich, Parsons).  So, I think we are better off than some teams that have Ortio sized guys or smaller.

Sometimes the guy on a stacked team that does nothing for long periods of time is overlooked.  When he is needed, he has to make the saves.  Very much like having a backup that is cold for 58 minutes of a game, then replaces the starter.  He has to make those saves.  Or he sits on the bench for 10 games in a row.  When he starts, he has to perform.

Not sure who you're describing, Parsons wasn't Niemi on the Hawks.

London's press-clippings were good and well, but Parsons was hung out to dry, a lot.

We drafted the top 2 stars in the Memorial Cup Final.

Parsons will be the starter next year as well, and who knows if Marner and Tkachuk will make the NHL or not. So he won't necessarily have an all-star team to help him out. 

Which players are returning to the team next year? 

London's press-clippings were good and well, but Parsons was hung out to dry, a lot.

I am describing Parsons.  In the Memorial Cup, there were stretches where he didn't face any shots, but still had to stop pucks.

Parsons will be the starter next year as well, and who knows if Marner and Tkachuk will make the NHL or not. So he won't necessarily have an all-star team to help him out. 

Which players are returning to the team next year? 

I think they'll lose one of Tkachuk/Marner but i'll be a bit suprised if they lose both. Leafs have already publically commented that they are skepital that Marner is ready for the NHL. Max Jones, Cliff Pu, Olli Jeolevi, Victor Mete and PIccinich are all back and they've got a few younger Dman who looked good in limited minutes they'll look to make the next step. Plus they landed Janne Kuokannen out of Finland in the import draft who is a real solid player and fit in great with a Dale Hunter coached team. 

Knights will be good, they always are as Hunter always finds away. I think they'll be in a bit of trouble if they lose both Marner and Tkachuk but still be a real solid team. But I agree with conundrum that people are wrong is they are assuming Parsons rep is inflated because he played behind a great team. The Knights pressed alot, and they gave up alot of odd man rushes the other way, Parsons had to be good alot of nights. 

I think they'll lose one of Tkachuk/Marner but i'll be a bit suprised if they lose both. Leafs have already publically commented that they are skepital that Marner is ready for the NHL. Max Jones, Cliff Pu, Olli Jeolevi, Victor Mete and PIccinich are all back and they've got a few younger Dman who looked good in limited minutes they'll look to make the next step. Plus they landed Janne Kuokannen out of Finland in the import draft who is a real solid player and fit in great with a Dale Hunter coached team. 

Knights will be good, they always are as Hunter always finds away. I think they'll be in a bit of trouble if they lose both Marner and Tkachuk but still be a real solid team. But I agree with conundrum that people are wrong is they are assuming Parsons rep is inflated because he played behind a great team. The Knights pressed alot, and they gave up alot of odd man rushes the other way, Parsons had to be good alot of nights. 

That's really good to hear. I just hope we can develop someone into a long term goalie solution for us!

Just so there isn't any confusion, I think Parsons is a top goalie from the draft.  Maybe not the top, but one of the best.  

BT is quietly assembling some talented goaltending prospects for the system.

I agree. I know some were perhaps rightly put off of 2nds for a goalie, but the position is unique so the EXACT guy you want you have to make sure you get. Skaters on the other hand have a ton of "similars" each.

It's really nice to see drafting we can comprehend. Imho I thought we had too many years of over-riding scouts or bantying about with lists that appeared to be constructed under the influence for the first 3 rds.

The era of outsmarting everyone is over, and we were never rich with eyes and insiders like Detroit regardless.

We've ramped up confidence in scouting so I believe that is going to be a peach for us.

I agree. I know some were perhaps rightly put off of 2nds for a goalie, but the position is unique so the EXACT guy you want you have to make sure you get. Skaters on the other hand have a ton of "similars" each.

It's really nice to see drafting we can comprehend. Imho I thought we had too many years of over-riding scouts or bantying about with lists that appeared to be constructed under the influence for the first 3 rds.

The era of outsmarting everyone is over, and we were never rich with eyes and insiders like Detroit regardless.

We've ramped up confidence in scouting so I believe that is going to be a peach for us.

If you want a lesson on how not to draft future NHL goalies, look nowhere further than 3 hours north.  between Fuhr and today, Dubie is their only notable pick.  

http://thehockeywriters.com/history-shows-oilers-just-cant-draft-goaltenders/

While I am not a big fan of 2nd round picks used to pick them, it's a reasonable risk/return if one of the recent guys makes it.  Gillies (3rd), MacDonald, Parsons are all really good prospects.  

Just so there isn't any confusion, I think Parsons is a top goalie from the draft.  Maybe not the top, but one of the best.  

Who was the top goalie prospect in the draft?

Did we pick the first goalie again and then not get the best of the draft? 

Is Demko still a better prospect than McDonald?

WHo has played in the NHL?

Demko vs. McDonald is still just opinion.  Demko played for BC, while Mac played for the Islanders in the Q.  Hard to compare their numbers.  One catches right, the other left.  Hockey futures feels Demko is a way better prospect.  Time will tell who is better as neither have played pro yet.

Parsons was not the top rated goalie in the draft.  In some lists he was 4th.  The top guy was Gustavsson, with Hart being #2 IIRC. We picked Parson before Gustavsson was picked, but after hart was picked.

I think his rating dipped a bit from playing on a stacked team.  He is a winner, and that counts for something.

That might not be fair boss.

Teams have their lists.

They ensure they get their #1 guy, I don't take much issue, again, leaving to the scouts. Do you guys like him that much? Will he be around at our next pick? Guessing they got a resounding "NO" with MacDonald and Parsons.

Can't deny they were targeted and judgement day is a ways off yet.

I agree with you both. I am just spitballing the questions. It's easy enough, I am just wondering. It'd be nice to get a good pickup at some point. 

The thing is, even the Canadiens fans wanted to trade Price over Halak when Halak was traded. So even at that stage, you just don't know what you've got until later.

I agree with you both. I am just spitballing the questions. It's easy enough, I am just wondering. It'd be nice to get a good pickup at some point. 

The thing is, even the Canadiens fans wanted to trade Price over Halak when Halak was traded. So even at that stage, you just don't know what you've got until later.

In 5 years time, they may be players or not at all.  n the meantime, we have Elliott, Johnson and Gillies, with a side of Rittich.

I too was a bit surprised when they too Macdonald over Demko. It's interesting to see how 2 of our top goalie prospects are Americans. Hopefully Parsons makes the U.S. Team and really gives us a good showing on the international stage. I'm more confident in our goalie situation now, BT managed to shore things up quite neatly and tidily.

• 3 weeks later...

There's usually a dark horse that emerges out of the prospect pool. I'd like to see Falkovsky turn into a steal as well as Mattson.(.if not all the picks )but maybe some guys we maybe aren't really paying as much attention to. Regarding size it really hasn't worked out as well as the Flames had hoped..still have hope for Kanzig and Smith but it's like waiting on Chris Breen all those years back.