Calgary Flames Drafting and Development: Your Analysis

rickross

Flames drafting has done a complete 180 degree. I'm sure we all recall a time when the draft was pretty irrelevant to this organization. Great post 420...it's interesting especially considering no Canadian team is in the playoffs this year. I actually trust the Flames scouting and drafting now..after all these years. With all the focus placed on the 1st rd, it really is those later rounds that unearth the gems. This Saturdays draft lottery will be key for Canadian teams, it would be sweet if the Flames finally crack that top 4 even tho it's a long shot.

Flames drafting has done a complete 180 degree. I'm sure we all recall a time when the draft was pretty irrelevant to this organization. Great post 420...it's interesting especially considering no Canadian team is in the playoffs this year. I actually trust the Flames scouting and drafting now..after all these years. With all the focus placed on the 1st rd, it really is those later rounds that unearth the gems. This Saturdays draft lottery will be key for Canadian teams, it would be sweet if the Flames finally crack that top 4 even tho it's a long shot.

D Day is almost here !!!!

CANADA AT THE DRAFT

Whether it is an ability to draft or to properly develop talent, Canadian teams do not have the best track record in raising homegrown prospects. From Edmonton’s lack of second-round success to Toronto’s habit of trading away top picks, here is a look at how Canadian teams have fared at the draft by highlighting only players who have appeared in at least 70 NHL games:

CALGARY

Grade: B

The Flames were able to find Johnny Gaudreau and T.J. Brodie in the fourth round, but they sometimes overthink the easy picks. After swinging for the fences on Mark Jankowski in 2012, the Penguins selected Olli Maata with the next pick. A year later, Washington selected Andre Burakovsky one spot after Calgary selected Emile Poirier.

2014: Sam Bennett, 4th overall

2013: Sean Monahan, 6th

2011: Sven Baertschi, 13th (Vancouver); Markus Granlund, 45th (Vancouver); Johnny Gaudreau, 104th

2010: Micheal Ferland, 133rd

2009: Tim Erixon, 23rd (AHL-Pittsburgh)

2008: Lance Bouma, 78th; T.J. Brodie, 114th

2007: Mikael Backlund, 24th; Keith Aulie, 116th (Finland)

The rest of the Canadian teams:

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/blog.html?b=news.nationalpost.com/sports/nhl/no-canada-canadian-teams-dont-have-the-best-track-record-in-the-nhl-draft

Only point I would like to make is, this whole article is based on 20/20 hindsight. Anyone even you can go back on a Flames draft and find players who you could/should have drafted instead. You would likely be correct.

No team has a crystal ball, that can draft for sure the player, who will turn out to be the best for that draft pick position.

There are some decent points on other subjects though. Like who drafted well but has poor development. (Oilers have drafted poorly and failed to develop for example.)

Only point I would like to make is, this whole article is based on 20/20 hindsight. Anyone even you can go back on a Flames draft and find players who you could/should have drafted instead. You would likely be correct.

No team has a crystal ball, that can draft for sure the player, who will turn out to be the best for that draft pick position.

There are some decent points on other subjects though. Like who drafted well but has poor development. (Oilers have drafted poorly and failed to develop for example.)

I agree with the hindsight argument most of the time. But some of the picks the Flames made were huge "whatza" picks the day they made them. I don't think it's just hindsight talking.

That said, I think the Flames have been good for the last while. I have seriously disagreed with the Jankowski, Sieloff, Poirier, and Kanzig picks at the time they were made. They reeked of "I am smarter then you" picks from Weisbrod and Feaster. But outside of that they have made a lot of smart moves that we are benefiting from.

I agree with the hindsight argument most of the time. But some of the picks the Flames made were huge "whatza" picks the day they made them. I don't think it's just hindsight talking.

That said, I think the Flames have been good for the last while. I have seriously disagreed with the Jankowski, Sieloff, Poirier, and Kanzig picks at the time they were made. They reeked of "I am smarter then you" picks from Weisbrod and Feaster. But outside of that they have made a lot of smart moves that we are benefiting from.

The Kanzig pick was disturbing, in that he was picked in the 3rd.  Clearly a 7th rounder type of choice.  Janko, no comment other than we will know soon enough if it was a great, good, or meh choice.  At the time it was a mistake due to needing impact players not 5 year projects.

Poirier is one that I am still okay with.  Of the players taken in the 1st after him, only a few have really showed up yet.  At the time, he was a scoring forward, not much off the production of Shinkaruk.  Burakovsky was really an unknown.  The Q can be a little suspect, but I don't really see a problem with the pick.

I get what the point your trying to get across but how else are u supposed to properly assess a draft(s) if you don't look back and provide an objection analysis?? Time is really the best measure in this case. Of course no one picks with 100% certainty but some teams do have more consistent draft results then others. There scouts/draft teams must be seeing something others keep missing. There's always a bit of luck involved but the final call is based off an educated judgement.

I get what the point your trying to get across but how else are u supposed to properly assess a draft(s) if you don't look back and provide an objection analysis?? Time is really the best measure in this case. Of course no one picks with 100% certainty but some teams do have more consistent draft results then others. There scouts/draft teams must be seeing something others keep missing. There's always a bit of luck involved but the final call is based off an educated judgement.

I disagree. Other than a "general sense" there is little to be determined by going back and saying we should have drafted "player X" instead of "Player Y" who we did draft. You can determine the overall draft success by going back, but not really on a individual basis.

I say general sense because each team is different in how they they are successful in developing players. To say 5 years later we should have drafted Player X because he is now producing better than the one we drafted is futile.

You can look back on a draft and say we managed to draft some players who made it to the NHL and grade your drafting in a general sense.

I shall give you an good examples. Johnny Gaudreau & T. J. Brodie. All teams passed on them multiple times before the Flames finally selected them 104th and 114th overall. What purpose does it serve to go back and judge our drafting in hindsight these two players?

Exactly how does assessing the drafting of these two in hindsight years after let you determine you drafted well or not at the time of the draft.

Every team was way off base on JH multiple times and we are not far away from his draft year.  Does this mean we are terrible drafters because waited for the 104th pick to take him?

or

Does it mean we are great for finding this gem in the 4th round 104th overall? Lets face it with hindsight if he were to enter the draft today he would go top 5 at the very least.

T.J. Brodie was in need of much coaching and was brought up and sent back down to the baby Flames multiple times. Today if he was to enter the draft and using hindsight 20/20 I think he would go top 10 or higher.

Does this mean we drafted superbly or we developed him well? How do we know he didn't became as good as he has, "despite the development he got from the Flames"(JJ would have a lot to say about our development or lack of it). Lets face it Butter didn't exactly utilize him as a DMan who should be considered as a possible Norris candidate.

One last way to look at it or reason for us to not put so much importance towards it.

Take the Oilers who have had terrible success overall with their picks. Look past the supposed no brainers(all the #1's), and they have not really drafted or developed much of anything the later rounds. You can go back and say in general the Oilers were dismal drafters overall and have been like that for ages. However they had reasons why they drafted who they did and some have gone on to become NHLers, but after the Oilers gave up on them or traded a number of them away, they flourished.

Poor drafting or poor development? both? 

Edit:

Rickross please don't take this as ragging on you. Your points are valid , I just don't think you can place the importance of 20/20 hindsight, as much as you are trying to do.

Looking at where players are drafted is defeating and deflating. It's easy to look at it and then get upset because we could've had just about anyone in the later rounds who've made an impact. We could've drafted Murray and had our goalie but we didn't... You never know about these kids. They're also in situations that determine how they do in their draft years.

On TJ Brodie...

Lets face it Butter didn't exactly utilize him as a DMan who should be considered as a possible Norris candidate.

Off-topic, but this is one of those points that applies to Jay Bouwmeester as well. I think he'd have made an excellent Flame if not for the system.

And an aside:

One day a few years ago I went to see the baby Flames play the Marlies. It was a terrible game, and our boys lost 5-0. Afterward, I was walking around in my Flames jersey, and as I was walking past some Flames fans coming in the other direction I casually mentioned, "Geez Louise! Future isn't looking so bright, is it?!"

It was just an off hand comment that was supposed to be funny, and I thought that my tone was indicative of that.

Anyway, it was TJ Brodie's mom. She wasn't shy about what she really thought about my remark. Then we had a few laughs. Really sweet people, and really proud as well.

Love.

Flames recent drafts since the dreadful drafts of 2006 and prior.  

2014:

• Best player: Bennett (4)
  • Where he would be drafted in a redraft: Top 4 
  • Other players of note: McDonald (34), Hickey (64)
  • Overall: Too early to tell, but I give it a B- so far.  Bennett was obvious, but Hickey looks like a good late pick-up.  McDonald was a risk but so far the return looks good.  The Smith pick is questionable (even though I liked it) but its too early to rule on that one.  

2013:

• Best player: Monahan (6)
  • Where he would be drafted in a redraft: Top 2, possibly first overall
  • Other players of note: Poirier (22), Klimchuk (28)
  • Overall: I give this one a D.  Monahan was a GREAT pick-up, but there was a set top 6 and we picked 6. So far the Poirier and Klimchuk don't look good and there were no hits in the later rounds.  

2012:

• Best player: Gilles (75)
  • Where he would be drafted in a redraft: First round
  • Other players of note: Jankowski (21)
  • Overall: If Gilles turns into the pro we think he can be this draft will be a B.  Until then I call this a C-.  Jankowski was an unnecessary gamble, fortunately it looks like he could be a decent pro.  The jury is out on a few of the D but this is really a two pick draft for us and the jury is out on both players.  

2011:

• Best player: Gaudreau (104)
  • Where he would be drafted in a redraft: Top 3, possibly first overall
  • Other players of note: Wotherspoon (57)
  • Overall: This one has to be an A.  When you get a top 3 talent with a late draft pick you hit a home run even without any other hits.  But we had other hits.  Wotherspoon could be an NHL player and we traded every other player picked for real assets.  Great draft.  

2010:

• Best player: Ferland (133)
  • Where he would be drafted in a redraft: Second round
  • Other players of note: Arnold (108)
  • Overall: This is a tough draft to rank since we didn't pick in the top 60.  Call it a C.  Ferland looks like an NHL player and the jury is out on Arnold.  That is reasonably okay without top 60 picks. 

2009:

• Best player: Ortio (171)
  • Where he would be drafted in a redraft: Fourth round
  • Other players of note: None
  • Overall: This wasn't a great draft year.  I will call it an F.  Ortio was a good pick-up in the sixth round, but I don't see him as a full time NHL player.  The jury is out on Erixon but he has really struggled to make the NHL (and not with the Flames).  Everyone else is a bust.  

2008:

• Best player: Brodie (114)
  • Where he would be drafted in a redraft: Top 10
  • Other players of note: Bouma (78)
  • Overall: The Flames bombed on their top 60 picks but made up for it in the later rounds with one of our core players (Brodie) and a good depth guy (Bouma).  Call it a B+.  

2007:

• Best player: Backland (24)
  • Where he would be drafted in a redraft: Top 15
  • Overall: You could nit pick and say the Flames missed out on Subban or Brendan Smith but that would seriously be using hindsight to your advantage.  Backlund was a great pick at 24.  Unfortunately the rest of the draft was a bomb.  Still, any draft you get a core player outside of the top 10 is a good one.  Call it a B-.  

In general we managed to draft Bennett, Monahan, Gaudreau, Gilles, Backlund, and Brodie in 8 drafts with only two top 10 picks.  That is a lot of top end talent.  Unfortunately we haven't done as well in bringing in depth players.  We have also struggled to pick well in the first round when the pick isn't in the top 10.  Since 2006 I think the Flames get an unearned bad rap for drafting and development, but I do think there is plenty of room for improvement.  

2014:

• Overall: Too early to tell, but I give it a B- so far.  Bennett was obvious, but Hickey looks like a good late pick-up.  McDonald was a risk but so far the return looks good.  The Smith pick is questionable (even though I liked it) but its too early to rule on that one.  

2013:

• Overall: I give this one a D.  Monahan was a GREAT pick-up, but there was a set top 6 and we picked 6. So far the Poirier and Klimchuk don't look good and there were no hits in the later rounds.  

2012:

• Overall: If Gilles turns into the pro we think he can be this draft will be a B.  Until then I call this a C-.  Jankowski was an unnecessary gamble, fortunately it looks like he could be a decent pro.  The jury is out on a few of the D but this is really a two pick draft for us and the jury is out on both players.  

2011:

• Overall: This one has to be an A.  When you get a top 3 talent with a late draft pick you hit a home run even without any other hits.  But we had other hits.  Wotherspoon could be an NHL player and we traded every other player picked for real assets.  Great draft.  

2010:

• Overall: This is a tough draft to rank since we didn't pick in the top 60.  Call it a C.  Ferland looks like an NHL player and the jury is out on Arnold.  That is reasonably okay without top 60 picks. 

2009:

• Overall: This wasn't a great draft year.  I will call it an F.  Ortio was a good pick-up in the sixth round, but I don't see him as a full time NHL player.  The jury is out on Erixon but he has really struggled to make the NHL (and not with the Flames).  Everyone else is a bust.  

2008:

• Overall: The Flames bombed on their top 60 picks but made up for it in the later rounds with one of our core players (Brodie) and a good depth guy (Bouma).  Call it a B+.  

2007:

• Overall: You could nit pick and say the Flames missed out on Subban or Brendan Smith but that would seriously be using hindsight to your advantage.  Backlund was a great pick at 24.  Unfortunately the rest of the draft was a bomb.  Still, any draft you get a core player outside of the top 10 is a good one.  Call it a B-.  

In general we managed to draft Bennett, Monahan, Gaudreau, Gilles, Backlund, and Brodie in 8 drafts with only two top 10 picks.  That is a lot of top end talent.  Unfortunately we haven't done as well in bringing in depth players.  We have also struggled to pick well in the first round when the pick isn't in the top 10.  Since 2006 I think the Flames get an unearned bad rap for drafting and development, but I do think there is plenty of room for improvement.  

Overall a good assessment, though you are being a little harsh about depth players.  Half the 6 you listed are depth players, including our best two players overall.

• 5 weeks later...

2014:

• Overall: Too early to tell, but I give it a B- so far. Bennett was obvious, but Hickey looks like a good late pick-up. McDonald was a risk but so far the return looks good. The Smith pick is questionable (even though I liked it) but its too early to rule on that one.
2013:
  • Overall: I give this one a D. Monahan was a GREAT pick-up, but there was a set top 6 and we picked 6. So far the Poirier and Klimchuk don't look good and there were no hits in the later rounds.
2012:
  • Overall: If Gilles turns into the pro we think he can be this draft will be a B. Until then I call this a C-. Jankowski was an unnecessary gamble, fortunately it looks like he could be a decent pro. The jury is out on a few of the D but this is really a two pick draft for us and the jury is out on both players.
2011:
  • Overall: This one has to be an A. When you get a top 3 talent with a late draft pick you hit a home run even without any other hits. But we had other hits. Wotherspoon could be an NHL player and we traded every other player picked for real assets. Great draft.
2010:
  • Overall: This is a tough draft to rank since we didn't pick in the top 60. Call it a C. Ferland looks like an NHL player and the jury is out on Arnold. That is reasonably okay without top 60 picks.
2009:
  • Overall: This wasn't a great draft year. I will call it an F. Ortio was a good pick-up in the sixth round, but I don't see him as a full time NHL player. The jury is out on Erixon but he has really struggled to make the NHL (and not with the Flames). Everyone else is a bust.
2008:
  • Overall: The Flames bombed on their top 60 picks but made up for it in the later rounds with one of our core players (Brodie) and a good depth guy (Bouma). Call it a B+.
2007:
  • Overall: You could nit pick and say the Flames missed out on Subban or Brendan Smith but that would seriously be using hindsight to your advantage. Backlund was a great pick at 24. Unfortunately the rest of the draft was a bomb. Still, any draft you get a core player outside of the top 10 is a good one. Call it a B-.
In general we managed to draft Bennett, Monahan, Gaudreau, Gilles, Backlund, and Brodie in 8 drafts with only two top 10 picks. That is a lot of top end talent. Unfortunately we haven't done as well in bringing in depth players. We have also struggled to pick well in the first round when the pick isn't in the top 10. Since 2006 I think the Flames get an unearned bad rap for drafting and development, but I do think there is plenty of room for improvement.

Great post! It's interesting to see how the Flames drafting has evolved. They've been much more consistent with finding quality prospects. They could go a lot of different ways with this year's #6 pick.

It will be interesting to see how the new coach goes about drafting and development. I'll give credit to BT as he could have shielded himself behind Hartley for 1 more year but he's really looking to out his stamp on this team. The more I think about it the more I'm beginning to think the Flames might be ones drafting the 1st D man off the board

Great post! It's interesting to see how the Flames drafting has evolved. They've been much more consistent with finding quality prospects. They could go a lot of different ways with this year's #6 pick.

It will be interesting to see how the new coach goes about drafting and development. I'll give credit to BT as he could have shielded himself behind Hartley for 1 more year but he's really looking to out his stamp on this team. The more I think about it the more I'm beginning to think the Flames might be ones drafting the 1st D man off the board

I don't think the new coach will have much say in who is drafted at all.

Just about every mock draft I have seen more often or not shows Nylander dropping to us. I am beginning to see a few other choices now though:

http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2016/

https://www.nhl.com/news/mike-g-morreales-2016-nhl-mock-draft/c-280829498

http://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-mock-draft-may-the-force-be-with-you/

Just about every mock draft I have seen more often or not shows Nylander dropping to us. I am beginning to see a few other choices now though:

I only see Nylander for us if both Tkachuk and DuBois are gone which means someone in front of us took a defenseman.

Yeah the new coach won't have much input on this year's draft but moving forward it will be interesting to see what type of philosophy the coach implements regarding drafting and development. I thought Hartley did a fairly good job with most of the young prospects in our system.

I only see Nylander for us if both Tkachuk and DuBois are gone which means someone in front of us took a defenseman.

I'm still fine if it is Nylander we end up drafting. He could turn into a real gem for us , he's still had fairly limited exposure to North Anerican hockey so there's a lot of undiscovered potential there. Don't really see the Flames going off the board with their 1st pick. That 2nd Rd is where we could really do some damage if we manage to keep all 3 picks.

Yeah the new coach won't have much input on this year's draft but moving forward it will be interesting to see what type of philosophy the coach implements regarding drafting and development. I thought Hartley did a fairly good job with most of the young prospects in our system.

I'm still fine if it is Nylander we end up drafting. He could turn into a real gem for us , he's still had fairly limited exposure to North Anerican hockey so there's a lot of undiscovered potential there. Don't really see the Flames going off the board with their 1st pick. That 2nd Rd is where we could really do some damage if we manage to keep all 3 picks.

I think Hartley got away from developing the young players. He moved from a building the future mentality to a win now at all costs one. Until this last season he was good, but he stopped giving prospects and players he didn't know the leeway to improve and be trusted.

There were a few prospects in previous years that he didn't help. Wotherspoon and Baertschi are two that most of us discussed. Nakladal was one this year who may have helped the Flames make the playoffs had Hartley shown trust in him earlier in the season. He improved a lot this year and I look forward to the possibility of him in a 5/6 role next season.

I think Hartley got away from developing the young players. He moved from a building the future mentality to a win now at all costs one. Until this last season he was good, but he stopped giving prospects and players he didn't know the leeway to improve and be trusted.

There were a few prospects in previous years that he didn't help. Wotherspoon and Baertschi are two that most of us discussed. Nakladal was one this year who may have helped the Flames make the playoffs had Hartley shown trust in him earlier in the season. He improved a lot this year and I look forward to the possibility of him in a 5/6 role next season.

I think that was the result of the unexpected success the Flames had. After the playoff run Hartley likely felt they had the right personnel to make another run. It's hard to blame him as even he didn't expect playoff success to come as quick as it did. He was likely trying to keep momentum and his job for that matter by sticking with his proven players. It's a tricky position to be in that early on in a rebuild. I agree with u on the fact that once we were out of the playoff race it wouldn't have hurt to bring up more prospects for some better looks. I think the whole Nakladal delay was just making sure he was properly acclimated to North American hockey but I too think we could have used him earlier. I'm hoping we resign him , he's a good depth piece and had a nice shot on him too!

• 1 month later...

Another draft has come and gone and it looks like the Flames came away with another fruitful couple of days! I'm still fairly surprised we were able to land Tkachuk and it looks like we may have found some potential gems in the later rounds such as Tuulola. Finally the Flames prospect pool has some competitive depth at every position. It would have been nice to see Mangiapane and Prybil but overall it looks like we should have a better AHL product on the ice this season. It will be interesting to see how the new coaching staff goes about training camp with some obvious tough decisions ahead.  Very curious to see what the final roster will look like come the fall. Overall i'd give the Flames an A grade as they really covered a lot of bases with this years draft.

Another draft has come and gone and it looks like the Flames came away with another fruitful couple of days! I'm still fairly surprised we were able to land Tkachuk and it looks like we may have found some potential gems in the later rounds such as Tuulola. Finally the Flames prospect pool has some competitive depth at every position. It would have been nice to see Mangiapane and Prybil but overall it looks like we should have a better AHL product on the ice this season. It will be interesting to see how the new coaching staff goes about training camp with some obvious tough decisions ahead.  Very curious to see what the final roster will look like come the fall. Overall i'd give the Flames an A grade as they really covered a lot of bases with this years draft.

I would agree, lots of good guys coming down the pipe and some landing in the AHL as soon as next year.  Actually I'm hopeful Tuulola lands there this year, a la Kylington, as he's already physically mature and the competition would do him good.  That's going to put pressure on Ferland, Chiasson, Vey, Morrison, Rittich, Kulak, Culkin and Hathaway as RFAs after next season that'll be replaced unless unless they really step up and prove themselves this year and secure a contract going forward.  

I would agree, lots of good guys coming down the pipe and some landing in the AHL as soon as next year.  Actually I'm hopeful Tuulola lands there this year, a la Kylington, as he's already physically mature and the competition would do him good.  That's going to put pressure on Ferland, Chiasson, Vey, Morrison, Rittich, Kulak, Culkin and Hathaway as RFAs after next season that'll be replaced unless unless they really step up and prove themselves this year and secure a contract going forward.  

Can Tuulola play in the AHL or would he have to play with  junior team ?

Can Tuulola play in the AHL or would he have to play with  junior team ?

Yes he can. The 20 year old rule only applies to players drafted out of the CHL.

Everett in the WHL drafted him too and it sounded to me like Treliving would prefer him there and seemed to hint he thought that was the most likely. I think the WHL is the best place for Tuulola.

Yes he can. The 20 year old rule only applies to players drafted out of the CHL.

Everett in the WHL drafted him too and it sounded to me like Treliving would prefer him there and seemed to hint he thought that was the most likely. I think the WHL is the best place for Tuulola.

I would tend to agree being he is only 18 and not ever played a NA style game. You have to like this kid, size, talent and seems to be a real character.

The only problem I have with him playing in junior is that he already has NHL size and he plays "like Lucic".  So he is going to be a power forward playing against kids or smaller/lighter players.  This is sort of the same as sending back an overage Carroll, Kanzig or Smith's draft+1 season.  Man among boys.

Can they play him in the AHL and then send him to junior if he can't cut it?  When is the cutoff for using junior import players, or is it strictly related to finalizing junior rosters?