Calgary Flames Drafting and Development: Your Analysis

rickross

Wow..WTF are you talking about? I said nothing of what you just wrote a novel about. Read my quote over again after you've taken your meds. Flames brass took an off the board pick with Janko that's a known fact, Maata was a consensus top 10 prospect. Flames had an opportunity to draft him and chose to gamble instead on a "project" (Weisbrods term, not mine!) that is Janko. I never called Janko a failure, just said Feaster failed to draft a more sure shot prospect at the time, I even mentioned we haven't seen Jankos potential, didn't even mention him taking the college route, let alone knock him for it.

I guess your the Head scout tho and you've already confirmed Janko will be a guaranteed and productive NHLer

And deeds was telling you that you have no clue what he is. He could end up being just as impactful as the other players drafted around him. Insulting someone doesn't make your point anymore valid.

Wow..WTF are you talking about? I said nothing of what you just wrote a novel about. Read my quote over again after you've taken your meds. Flames brass took an off the board pick with Janko that's a known fact, Maata was a consensus top 10 prospect. Flames had an opportunity to draft him and chose to gamble instead on a "project" (Weisbrods term, not mine!) that is Janko. I never called Janko a failure, just said Feaster failed to draft a more sure shot prospect at the time, I even mentioned we haven't seen Jankos potential, didn't even mention him taking the college route, let alone knock him for it.

I guess your the Head scout tho and you've already confirmed Janko will be a guaranteed and productive NHLer

You did call him a failure:

whereas we can only hope Janko will be NHL ready someday. One of Feaster and co. biggest fails IMO

Jankowski is not a failure until he plays in NHL and fails.

Hindsight is always 50/50 was my point. You are just using hindsight for your points.

I agree, I think Janko has it in him but Maata has really developed quickly as a young D man. That year was an excellent class for D men, Dumba, Trouba, Rielly, Lindholm, Maata even G.Reinhardt. Most of those D have already graduated as top d men on their teams. It's not fair to compare Janko right now but it just looks like a missed opportunity at this point of our rebuild. Gio- Brodie, Maata-Hamilton would have our back end set for years to come

My point is I never knocked Janko in the 1st place, Deeds added a whole bunch of stuff I never even said or implied..i didn't understand where he was pulling that out of! Didn't mean to offend anyone it, perhaps he missed some of my other quotes..

You did call him a failure:

Jankowski is not a failure until he plays in NHL and fails.

Hindsight is always 50/50 was my point. You are just using hindsight for your points.

Again I'm not knocking Janko, I was knocking Feaster for taking a gamble that early on in our rebuild. I never said Janko won't pan out, I actually said I think the kid has it in him to make it. I said right off the hop we still haven't seen Janko, and to be honest to this day nobody really knows what we truly have in Janko, there is always that chance that he doesn't make it to the NHL. My point was we know TODAY what Maata is, a young top pairing NHL D man.

Again I'm not knocking Janko, I was knocking Feaster for taking a gamble that early on in our rebuild. I never said Janko won't pan out, I actually said I think the kid has it in him to make it. I said right off the hop we still haven't seen Janko, and to be honest to this day nobody really knows what we truly have in Janko, there is always that chance that he doesn't make it to the NHL. My point was we know TODAY what Maata is, a young top pairing NHL D man.

Undoubtedly even when the pick was made people thought it a waste, more because they thought if the Flames wanted Jankowski they could have got him with a later pick. On the positive side obviously Jankowski was considered from good blueblood hockey stock and would be worth waiting on. I hope they are correct.

• Like 1

Undoubtedly even when the pick was made people thought it a waste, more because they thought if the Flames wanted Jankowski they could have got him with a later pick. On the positive side obviously Jankowski was considered from good blueblood hockey stock and would be worth waiting on. I hope they are correct.

He's been progressing steadily in college which is a good sign. We'll have to see how he shows in camp but hoping he atleast makes it to Stockton. It's a good thing Gaudreau, Monahan and Bennett turned out otherwise all expectations would be on Janko right now

He's been progressing steadily in college which is a good sign. We'll have to see how he shows in camp but hoping he atleast makes it to Stockton. It's a good thing Gaudreau, Monahan and Bennett turned out otherwise all expectations would be on Janko right now

This is what a number of years in between can do for a franchise. In all fairness Jankowski could be viewed in the same light as Gaudreau was coming from the college ranks. Definitely different styles but like all other prospects you just don't know what you have until you see them up against NHLers.

This is what a number of years in between can do for a franchise. In all fairness Jankowski could be viewed in the same light as Gaudreau was coming from the college ranks. Definitely different styles but like all other prospects you just don't know what you have until you see them up against NHLers.

That's not true, players don't typically suddenly develop skills in the NHL that they didn't show you in college. Gaudreau was an elite offensive talent in college so you knew he had elite level skill. Jankowski has some solid traits but he has shown no indication he has elite level skill which is why no on expects him to be a top 6 forward at the NHL level. Would take a very rare jump in development for that to happen.

That's not true, players don't typically suddenly develop skills in the NHL that they didn't show you in college. Gaudreau was an elite offensive talent in college so you knew he had elite level skill. Jankowski has some solid traits but he has shown no indication he has elite level skill which is why no on expects him to be a top 6 forward at the NHL level. Would take a very rare jump in development for that to happen.

It's a good point. Gaudreau dominated at the college level , Hobey Baker etc. Janko has progressed year over year but he's never been considered a dominant force in college. He has skill and size, I see his game translating something similar to what Colbourne brings. Id give Janko more dynamicism over Colbourne at this point but overall I think he can be a serviceable NHLer

It's a good point. Gaudreau dominated at the college level , Hobey Baker etc. Janko has progressed year over year but he's never been considered a dominant force in college. He has skill and size, I see his game translating something similar to what Colbourne brings. Id give Janko more dynamicism over Colbourne at this point but overall I think he can be a serviceable NHLer

Joe Colborne is a very good comparison for how Jankowski plays the game. Very similar styles.

I don't think that is what I said. Until a player tests those skills at the NHL level and proves them successful you may have nothing. Gaudreau was coming out of a USA college league which until lately wasn't where many scouts looked for "elite" talent. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that Jankowski won't be a top 6 talent. Once a young player begins to fill out and gain some size and strength different aspects develop in their game. We took Jankowski knowing he had these possibilities for his future, we should wait and see how it all plays out.

Could it be possible that the high school league Jankowski played for is as good as the BCHL? I mean didn't Gaudreau basically come from a high school league too? Aren't they basically prep leagues for college hockey?

One thing that's a huge bonus is, he is being developed for free, and developed a 2-way play with some really good instincts for the game. I can see the Niewendyk comparisons after Niewy got traded away for Iggy.

Jankowski sounds like a coaches dream. So we are good there. All these years at Development Camp he has always been one of the higher skilled prospects, always flashing potential.

Could it be possible that the high school league Jankowski played for is as good as the BCHL? I mean didn't Gaudreau basically come from a high school league too? Aren't they basically prep leagues for college hockey?

One thing that's a huge bonus is, he is being developed for free, and developed a 2-way play with some really good instincts for the game. I can see the Niewendyk comparisons after Niewy got traded away for Iggy.

Jankowski sounds like a coaches dream. So we are good there. All these years at Development Camp he has always been one of the higher skilled prospects, always flashing potential.

We will have to wait and see while remembering these kids are still growing into themselves.

I don't guarantee things very often but I am very comfortable guaranteeing that Jankwoski will come no where near what nieuwendyk was as a player. He is no where near as skilled as Newy was.

Lol

I am only comparing him to the way Neiwendyk played the game. Was a coaches player and does what he is told and has skill but a defender. If you read the rest of the conversation you'd have seen that was as far as my comparison went. i highly doubt he turns into Niewendyk in the NHL as well.

If Janko turns out to be anything like Niewendyk then he's the steal of the draft. I don't see that happening and I'm really tempering my expectations for the kid. We'll know soon enough what we drafted in Janko

All he has to be is a good fit for this current group of players.

All he has to be is a good fit for this current group of players.

I think he fits the mold of what the Flames are looking to build around. I just think he'll forever have the burden of being an off the board 1st Rd pick..so he has even more to prove in order to live up to Feaster/Weisbrod assessments. I think we're still 2-3 years from penciling him into our lineup and we have good depth at center right now so no rush

I think he fits the mold of what the Flames are looking to build around. I just think he'll forever have the burden of being an off the board 1st Rd pick..so he has even more to prove in order to live up to Feaster/Weisbrod assessments. I think we're still 2-3 years from penciling him into our lineup and we have good depth at center right now so no rush

Could be however it is the play of the prospect that dictates the arrival time.

• 3 weeks later...

Could be however it is the play of the prospect that dictates the arrival time.

Agostino-Grant-Poirier

Elson-Arnold-Hamilton

Mangiane -Jankowski-Shinkuruk

Van Brybant-Shore-Klimchuk

Potential fwd lineup next year barring some potential graduations.Mangiapane is tearing it up right now...he'll probably have some JH expectations on him because of his stature and scoring prowess. There's usually a surprise gem in the mix , Nakladal, Hathaway have been very good so far...wonder which prospect will make a big jump that we might not expect next year

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see the Flames sign Mangiapane, another high ceiling prospect in the the pool. Shinkaruk has been playing well for us down in Stockton...i'm hoping he can turn the Granlund trade into a fleecing on our part! Still waiting to see how the Flames develop Gillies and MacDonald..we just haven't had much luck with developing goalies in house. 

Good to see the Flames sign Mangiapane, another high ceiling prospect in the the pool. Shinkaruk has been playing well for us down in Stockton...i'm hoping he can turn the Granlund trade into a fleecing on our part! Still waiting to see how the Flames develop Gillies and MacDonald..we just haven't had much luck with developing goalies in house. 

The good thing is Gilles and MacDonald should have another two years before having to be relied upon.

• 1 month later...

CANADA AT THE DRAFT

Whether it is an ability to draft or to properly develop talent, Canadian teams do not have the best track record in raising homegrown prospects. From Edmonton’s lack of second-round success to Toronto’s habit of trading away top picks, here is a look at how Canadian teams have fared at the draft by highlighting only players who have appeared in at least 70 NHL games:

CALGARY
Grade: B
The Flames were able to find Johnny Gaudreau and T.J. Brodie in the fourth round, but they sometimes overthink the easy picks. After swinging for the fences on Mark Jankowski in 2012, the Penguins selected Olli Maata with the next pick. A year later, Washington selected Andre Burakovsky one spot after Calgary selected Emile Poirier.
2014: Sam Bennett, 4th overall
2013: Sean Monahan, 6th
2011: Sven Baertschi, 13th (Vancouver); Markus Granlund, 45th (Vancouver); Johnny Gaudreau, 104th
2010: Micheal Ferland, 133rd
2009: Tim Erixon, 23rd (AHL-Pittsburgh)
2008: Lance Bouma, 78th; T.J. Brodie, 114th
2007: Mikael Backlund, 24th; Keith Aulie, 116th (Finland)

The rest of the Canadian teams:

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/blog.html?b=news.nationalpost.com/sports/nhl/no-canada-canadian-teams-dont-have-the-best-track-record-in-the-nhl-draft