Calgary Flames Drafting and Development: Your Analysis

rickross

I think it's fair to say none of us have any idea of what October's roster looks like.  The problems and constraints are well known.  I also think it is pretty obvious that salary and output are a pretty big concern.  

I don't think there is much guess work left at all. Does Tkachuk stay or go back ? Does Shinkaruk make the team ? where does Chiasson play ? Who fills out RW on the 4th line ? Does Nakladal get signed again or not ? What else ?

I was just splitting up our top 6 and bottom 6 players, not necessarily putting together line combinations. That said, Bennett produced at wing and he did not at centre. He wouldn't be the first high profile centre to be moved to the wing on the NHL.

I think the time has come to quit jerking Bennett around. It is much harder to create top notch Cs than the multitude of wingers around.

I don't think there is much guess work left at all. Does Tkachuk stay or go back ? Does Shinkaruk make the team ? where does Chiasson play ? Who fills out RW on the 4th line ? Does Nakladal get signed again or not ? What else ?

I think the time has come to quit jerking Bennett around. It is much harder to create top notch Cs than the multitude of wingers around.

I think it would be fair to say that GG's line may not resemble BH's at all.  The unknowns outweigh the knowns,

Does Frolik continue as Backlund's RW?

Where does Brouwer play?

What farm kids make the team?

Who is the 4th line center?  LW?  RW?

Who is Bennett's wingers?

Is Bouma going to be moved?

Is Bollig gettng sent to the AHL?

What are the defense pairings?

Plenty more I haven't bothered with.

BH had certain preferences.  Some may not fit into GG's design or playing style.

I think it would be fair to say that GG's line may not resemble BH's at all.  The unknowns outweigh the knowns,

Does Frolik continue as Backlund's RW?

Where does Brouwer play?

What farm kids make the team?

Who is the 4th line center?  LW?  RW?

Who is Bennett's wingers?

Is Bouma going to be moved?

Is Bollig gettng sent to the AHL?

What are the defense pairings?

Plenty more I haven't bothered with.

BH had certain preferences.  Some may not fit into GG's design or playing style.

Whole lot of nothing over nothing, more things are set than you care to admit with all your wishful thoughts mixed in. Maybe you have a lot of questions I don't.

Whole lot of nothing over nothing, more things are set than you care to admit with all your wishful thoughts mixed in. Maybe you have a lot of questions I don't.

Well congrats to you Mr. Karnak.  You know nothing more than I do.  

Bouma was offered at the TDL.  

Sending Bollig to the AHL represents a $950k cap savings that can be banked or used to play someone else.

The coach has literally seen zero practices but somehow the lines are mostly set?

Very little trade activity in the league and you know who is going to be here come October?

You preach splitting up Brodie and Gio, but in July you know how the pairings are set?

Good for you.

• Like 1

Sending Bollig to the AHL represents a $950k cap savings that can be banked or used to play someone else.

The coach has literally seen zero practices but somehow the lines are mostly set?

Very little trade activity in the league and you know who is going to be here come October?

You preach splitting up Brodie and Gio, but in July you know how the pairings are set?

Speculation and such are part of the fun on the boards.

Where's JJ at? He usually has an... unorthodox suggestion that keeps us all on our toes. (No slight to JJ, it's nice to have a drastically different opinion to shake things up.)

Whoa, chill out guys... It's ok, I know how the lines are going to be set come season opener. Here you go and your welcome.

JG/Mony/Brouwer

Shins/Backs/Froly

Tkachuk/SB/Poirier

Ferly/Janko/Prybil

Oops, sorry... My Crystal ball showed me 2017-18 season opener.

So, just like the rest of you, all I can do is speculate.

• Like 2

Good for you.

Even GG as a new coach will see quite quickly the value of the pairings for lines that do work well together. Keeping what experience we have will be part of the game plan. You don't pay players significant money to sit on the sidelines, AHL or play them out of position so some prospect can have a spot. Calgary has shown they will keep a good balance of experience and learning core going down the right path.

Now to address your questions.

Bouma, do you know that in baseball every player is put on revocable waivers to see if there is interest ? Smart GM's need to know.

Bollig, who is he holding back if he is a 13th or 14th forward and used effectively against certain teams? Nobody

GG, likely didn't get here by not being in the know of how to address the talent he has already. I think he has a good idea.

Trade activity ? who is it you are looking to bring here and who would you use ? oh yeah Backlund for Rackell, we drop needed experience as our core matures and a few more prospects come on.

I preach splitting up Brodie and Giordano, yes I do if we have the right LHS and RHS pairings to take into consideration. You want to bury Wideman if he is still here on the LHS as a RHS on the 3rd pairing. Not Smart.

I think our reality has become clear that this season will see certain contracts carried and dealt with as any kind of opportunity allows them to be moved.

Even GG as a new coach will see quite quickly the value of the pairings for lines that do work well together. Keeping what experience we have will be part of the game plan. You don't pay players significant money to sit on the sidelines, AHL or play them out of position so some prospect can have a spot. Calgary has shown they will keep a good balance of experience and learning core going down the right path.

Now to address your questions.

Bouma, do you know that in baseball every player is put on revocable waivers to see if there is interest ? Smart GM's need to know.

Bollig, who is he holding back if he is a 13th or 14th forward and used effectively against certain teams? Nobody

GG, likely didn't get here by not being in the know of how to address the talent he has already. I think he has a good idea.

Trade activity ? who is it you are looking to bring here and who would you use ? oh yeah Backlund for Rackell, we drop needed experience as our core matures and a few more prospects come on.

I preach splitting up Brodie and Giordano, yes I do if we have the right LHS and RHS pairings to take into consideration. You want to bury Wideman if he is still here on the LHS as a RHS on the 3rd pairing. Not Smart.

I think our reality has become clear that this season will see certain contracts carried and dealt with as any kind of opportunity allows them to be moved.

I think I'll start a summer side-business as a counselor for hockey addiction withdrawal lol.

You both have good thoughts and bad thoughts, like everyone else.

No one's ever 100% right. Sheesh, 50% for that matter.

BT has to figure out some cash flow, 1st and foremost, or what you see is what we got.

Another year of screaming "shoot" at Stajan.

Another year of Bollig shooting right into the goalie at every opportunity.

Another year of hearing how Smid is training hard in August to be ready.

And Wideman. I'm all for showcasing him top 4, but what happens if he fails?

Another yr of loading the bottom 3 with immovable contracts.

Still lots of problems.

cross was wise to note every team has a bad contract or 2, but we're in the 3-5 range and BT can either find a way to address it or we'll have another year to wait.

Then it's time to sign Bennett and Elliot, it ain't going to get easier.

I think people are to quick to try and move these contracts. Let them pylons walk next July and then we can take care of the in house business and add another key cog or two. This isn't the summer to do that and I believe our opening night roster is already in the organization.

On one hand it would be nice to move a Smid or Wideman but in the same breath it doesn't hurt to let the pups in Stockton marinate for another season and see if a guy like Poirier or Culkin can have bounce back years.

I think I'll start a summer side-business as a counselor for hockey addiction withdrawal lol.

You both have good thoughts and bad thoughts, like everyone else.

No one's ever 100% right. Sheesh, 50% for that matter.

BT has to figure out some cash flow, 1st and foremost, or what you see is what we got.

Another year of screaming "shoot" at Stajan.

Another year of Bollig shooting right into the goalie at every opportunity.

Another year of hearing how Smid is training hard in August to be ready.

And Wideman. I'm all for showcasing him top 4, but what happens if he fails?

Another yr of loading the bottom 3 with immovable contracts.

Still lots of problems.

cross was wise to note every team has a bad contract or 2, but we're in the 3-5 range and BT can either find a way to address it or we'll have another year to wait.

Then it's time to sign Bennett and Elliot, it ain't going to get easier.

Roster adjustments and managing contracts is an ongoing deal, you have to either create or wait for the right opportunities. We would all love to be done with Stajan on his last contract but Backlund could never stay healthy so they gave him another one. There are times you have to live with your decisions and this is where the Flames are with Wideman, Stajan, Smid, Bouma, Engelland and Bollig. All will be gone between now and the start of next 17/18 season.

I think people are to quick to try and move these contracts. Let them pylons walk next July and then we can take care of the in house business and add another key cog or two. This isn't the summer to do that and I believe our opening night roster is already in the organization.

On one hand it would be nice to move a Smid or Wideman but in the same breath it doesn't hurt to let the pups in Stockton marinate for another season and see if a guy like Poirier or Culkin can have bounce back years.

BT has Stockton primed for most all of our key prospects to play and develop for a season. This should be considered another growth year for the entire organization and not rush any of our prospects. It isn't like we are going to make a mad dash to the SC this coming season.

• Like 2

It'll be very interesting to see how things shake out in Stockton this year.  As a team, I expect they'll struggle due to youth and lack of experience.  At the same time though, all of those young players can surely see the lay of the land in Calgary and they know there'll be opportunities in the future.

I'd really like to see some progression for some particular players in Stockton.  Poirier needs to step it up, as does Klimchuk.  I'd like to see significant growth from Killington.  I'm very curious to see how Gillies performs over a full season.

It'll be very interesting to see how things shake out in Stockton this year.  As a team, I expect they'll struggle due to youth and lack of experience.  At the same time though, all of those young players can surely see the lay of the land in Calgary and they know there'll be opportunities in the future.

I'd really like to see some progression for some particular players in Stockton.  Poirier needs to step it up, as does Klimchuk.  I'd like to see significant growth from Killington.  I'm very curious to see how Gillies performs over a full season.

I think this is why I expect another 3-4 players to be added to Stockton on a comibnation of NHL and AHL only deals. They are young and I agree will likely show some inexperience but I think the Flames are growing tired of their farm club losing. Need to start establishing some winning down there but I do think having strong goaltending will certainly help that. 

I predict that JH will be traded to Philadelphia for RW Wayne Simmons and D Shayne Gostisbehere. Phily gets there boy and we get 2 players we could use and not have to pay an arm and a leg. Now before you guys try and shoot me I think we solve a few problems 1 is we need RW the other we need a player that wants to be here not some where else.

What's interesting about the Detroit venue everyone is impressed by, there is zero rush and 3yrs ain't jack to turn out an Abdelkader or Helm eventually. Their failed prospects get let go prior to a big investment, generally.

The big club ensures the time, plain and simple.

We need a club that ensures we don't need to rush to judgment on prospects.

That's pretty much the long and short of it. It's how you make the playoffs for a couple of decades and counting and have prosperity.

Should be about the 9th yr in a row they're estimated out, good for a laugh.

I'm sure Larkin seems like the sophomore slump guy.

How could they possibly sign Frans Neilson for that?

At C:

Larkin-ELC

Zetts

Neilson-parlayed from #1 ELC

I'm listening.

I'd suggest Vanek should go to Detroit and will find his fix. When Nyquist lights him up.

Very underrated solid signings for Detroit imho.

When Jurco and Mantha arise from the Datsyuk ashes, that is solid mgmt.

I predict that JH will be traded to Philadelphia for RW Wayne Simmons and D Shayne Gostisbehere. Phily gets there boy and we get 2 players we could use and not have to pay an arm and a leg. Now before you guys try and shoot me I think we solve a few problems 1 is we need RW the other we need a player that wants to be here not some where else.

Sounds like you're convinced by the few rumors that Gaudreau wants out of Calgary.

Respectfully, I don't agree.

Many feared that JH would bolt for another team after BC, I was not one of them.

My personal feeling is that he really enjoys playing in Calgary and envisions a bright future here for himself and the Flames.

I think this is why I expect another 3-4 players to be added to Stockton on a comibnation of NHL and AHL only deals. They are young and I agree will likely show some inexperience but I think the Flames are growing tired of their farm club losing. Need to start establishing some winning down there but I do think having strong goaltending will certainly help that. 

Heard an interview about this. Seems we went through 11 or more goaltenders on the farm club last year.

I listened to Johnny's interview on Philly radio and what I seen was a kid trying to say all the right things to not alienate a fan base after he was put on the spot. I have seen no inclination that he doesn't want to play in Calgary.

Everyone keeps harping that BT should have paid Big and Local what that aves did to stay but listening to an interview with him earlier in the summer, he was pretty open about the fact that there are added pressures and distractions that come along with playing in front of your home crowd. Stamkos could have "bolted" to the leafs and we all seen how that turned out.

I listened to Johnny's interview on Philly radio and what I seen was a kid trying to say all the right things to not alienate a fan base after he was put on the spot. I have seen no inclination that he doesn't want to play in Calgary.

Everyone keeps harping that BT should have paid Big and Local what that aves did to stay but listening to an interview with him earlier in the summer, he was pretty open about the fact that there are added pressures and distractions that come along with playing in front of your home crowd. Stamkos could have "bolted" to the leafs and we all seen how that turned out.

When you make the kind of money these guys do and spend 10 months of the year either playing or preparing they are not home much. You want to play pro sports there are sacrifices that go with the privilege, it is not like playing for your hometown football team. I'm sure if the hometown team has the opportunity and pays the market money the player would entertain living and playing there.

NHL Tonight EJ Hradek, top 5 teams with 25 and younger players. Want to guess where EDM and CGY rank?

Like they said they could have went onto a few more teams. I laughed that the didn't even mention Bennett as they discussed Calgary.

It will be interesting to see what the decision on Tkachuk will be after camp. I think he should do another year of Junior but I have been wrong with the decisions they made with Gaudreau and Bennett. Any way you look at this season it is another building/maturing year for the team so maybe BT says let him learn here.

I'm at work for the video won't work, anyone mind filling me in what place they were please?

I would imagine top 3 but it's Hradek. Haynes did a piece at the end of the season that showed the flames got by far the most production out of their players under 25 in the league.

Like they said they could have went onto a few more teams. I laughed that the didn't even mention Bennett as they discussed Calgary.

It will be interesting to see what the decision on Tkachuk will be after camp. I think he should do another year of Junior but I have been wrong with the decisions they made with Gaudreau and Bennett. Any way you look at this season it is another building/maturing year for the team so maybe BT says let him learn here.

They mentioned Bennett, but just in passing.  He didn't do enough in his first year to really warrant it, unlike Tkachuk who hasn't played a single game.

I'm at work for the video won't work, anyone mind filling me in what place they were please?

I would imagine top 3 but it's Hradek. Haynes did a piece at the end of the season that showed the flames got by far the most production out of their players under 25 in the league.

#5 - TBL

#4 - Buffalo

#3 - Edmonton

#2 - Florida

#1 - Calgary Flames (with just passing reference to Bennett and no mention of Hamilton)

The Calgary big three were Gadreau, Monahan and Tkachuk.  His emphasis was actual NHL players and with Gaudreau & Monahan as 2 of the top8 under-25 scorers in the league it put us over the top.

Honorable mentions to Arizona and Winnipeg.