Calgary Flames Drafting and Development: Your Analysis

rickross

Tkachuk can't play in the A. Its either NHL or OHL for him.

Thanks for the correction!

Shink(??)-Janko-Poirier

Mangiapane-Pollock-Vey

Klimchuk-Hamilton-Prybil

Carroll-??-Smith/Hathaway

Im probably forgetting someone but maybe they resign some of those pending RFA back. So far it appears to be a fairly balanced team

Prybil will take some time but but it would be so satisfying for one of these touted European forwards to make an impact with the Flames. Nakladal did well going down thru the AHL first so let's see if Prybil's game can translate to the NHL.

It's nice that we're running through all facets now. Our drafting has been up around the top of the league for a couple years now imo, we're adding a dusting of International and NCAA FA's.

No saying who becomes an NHLer, but imo the train is firmly on the tracks to give ourselves a good shot at a solid pipeline to draw from, at last.

In a year or 2 I'd surmise we'll start seeing we have more positions of strength to draw from in filling out the roster/trade values, at last.

It's been yrs and yrs that this has had to be fixed and I'm really digging the progress now. Still work to do, but it's come a long way from being diabolically loathsome.

Our scouting is impressive and my general feel is that they are being given more respect for decision-making.

It's nice that we're running through all facets now. Our drafting has been up around the top of the league for a couple years now imo, we're adding a dusting of International and NCAA FA's.

No saying who becomes an NHLer, but imo the train is firmly on the tracks to give ourselves a good shot at a solid pipeline to draw from, at last.

In a year or 2 I'd surmise we'll start seeing we have more positions of strength to draw from in filling out the roster/trade values, at last.

It's been yrs and yrs that this has had to be fixed and I'm really digging the progress now. Still work to do, but it's come a long way from being diabolically loathsome.

Our scouting is impressive and my general feel is that they are being given more respect for decision-making.

I hope so. I think we finally have a GM who knows how to deal from strength than with weakness. I was getting tired of constantly losing trades, so having strength up and down the lineup will benefit the team that way too. Fair trades and possibly winning them.

I hope so. I think we finally have a GM who knows how to deal from strength than with weakness. I was getting tired of constantly losing trades, so having strength up and down the lineup will benefit the team that way too. Fair trades and possibly winning them.

The Flames are a completely different organization today. They've adapted well to the new NHL and thankfully have started seeing the value in drafting and development talent from within. I'll give Feaster some credit for getting the ball rolling but Treliving for the most part has been really good for the rebuild.

I was mentioning how far the front office has come now housing names like Treliving, Burke, Pascall and now Maloney as a scout. That has to be one of the most stacked front offices of any team.

Prybil will take some time but but it would be so satisfying for one of these touted European forwards to make an impact with the Flames. Nakladal did well going down thru the AHL first so let's see if Prybil's game can translate to the NHL.

I have.....just a hunch, that Pribyl will translate directly to the NHL, and then continue to grow all season.  

We'll see soon :)

Recovering from ACL surgery, so it won't be directly out of camp, for sure.

The timeline is early October, so he will miss pre-season games and part of main camp, assuming he shows up in week 1 of October.  I think at the very least he has to play a few AHL games.  The Flames have a couple of pre-season games he MIGHT make it back in time for.  The Heat have games on Oct.7th and 8th, but nothing again until the 15th.

I hope he makes it sooner than later, as the tendency is to be stuck on the farm while guys like Bollig are kept on the roster.  Yes, I know he doesn't replace Bollig, but having a guy available to the team without being called up gives you opportunity to play a guy in a few situations and see what he can do.  Pribyl is supposedly known for playing really hard when he gets rewarded with ice time. 

The timeline is early October, so he will miss pre-season games and part of main camp, assuming he shows up in week 1 of October.  I think at the very least he has to play a few AHL games.  The Flames have a couple of pre-season games he MIGHT make it back in time for.  The Heat have games on Oct.7th and 8th, but nothing again until the 15th.

I hope he makes it sooner than later, as the tendency is to be stuck on the farm while guys like Bollig are kept on the roster.  Yes, I know he doesn't replace Bollig, but having a guy available to the team without being called up gives you opportunity to play a guy in a few situations and see what he can do.  Pribyl is supposedly known for playing really hard when he gets rewarded with ice time. 

The ranks in Stockton are pretty thin, I think that some of our prospects are in for the year there. Players such as Pribyl or Jankowski may get call ups near the end however time will tell.

The ranks in Stockton are pretty thin, I think that some of our prospects are in for the year there. Players such as Pribyl or Jankowski may get call ups near the end however time will tell.

Players like Pribyl, Jankowsky, Poirier, Mangiapane are all different.  Pribyl was already playing at a pro level, so the only reason he should start anywhere near the AHL is due to lack of NA experience or rehab.  

It's not a big deal to fill up Stockton's forward ranks; guys can be signed to AHL deals pretty easily.  It's a much bigger deal to have players ready for the NHL not being blocked.

Players like Pribyl, Jankowsky, Poirier, Mangiapane are all different.  Pribyl was already playing at a pro level, so the only reason he should start anywhere near the AHL is due to lack of NA experience or rehab.  

It's not a big deal to fill up Stockton's forward ranks; guys can be signed to AHL deals pretty easily.  It's a much bigger deal to have players ready for the NHL not being blocked.

All different how, in that they play different positions ? Pribyl for all we know was playing in a league much inferior to the AHL so I can see him in Stockton for practically the whole season. An opportunity may present itself should Chiasson bomb out or they slide him in on the 4th line RW. I have to think Poirier will also be in line for the same opening.

All different how, in that they play different positions ? Pribyl for all we know was playing in a league much inferior to the AHL so I can see him in Stockton for practically the whole season. An opportunity may present itself should Chiasson bomb out or they slide him in on the 4th line RW. I have to think Poirier will also be in line for the same opening.

Different.  Mangiapane is a 1st year pro.  Janko had a good college career, but only played once a week.  The Czech league may not be the KHL, but Pribyl is not really a prospect.  Getting him used to NA hockey really is the key here.  They seem to believe he is close to NHL ready, but If he sucks, he sucks.  

Different.  Mangiapane is a 1st year pro.  Janko had a good college career, but only played once a week.  The Czech league may not be the KHL, but Pribyl is not really a prospect.  Getting him used to NA hockey really is the key here.  They seem to believe he is close to NHL ready, but If he sucks, he sucks.  

Until Pribyl makes the NHL team he is as much a prospect as any of the others expected to play NHL hockey. Oh you meant players at different levels of entry not readiness. Isn't this what the minors is for to measure and develop ?

Until Pribyl makes the NHL team he is as much a prospect as any of the others expected to play NHL hockey. Oh you meant players at different levels of entry not readiness. Isn't this what the minors is for to measure and develop ?

Yes it is but age should play a factor in development. At 23 I would agree that Prybil should still be considerd a prospect because you can afford time to still have him grow but not as much time as someone like a Klimchuck or Magniapane. The expectation needs to be that Prybil and Jankowski should be closer to an NHL spot sooner rather than later otherwise the odds significantly decrease that they can be effective NHL pros. You can live with warts in the game of prospects, but if Prybil comes over with significant holes in his game you have to question and scrutinize that much more as he doesn't have time on his side as much. 

It all depends on how you define a prospect and that is different for eveyone. Not really a right or wrong way to look at it, IMO at least. 

Yes it is but age should play a factor in development. At 23 I would agree that Prybil should still be considerd a prospect because you can afford time to still have him grow but not as much time as someone like a Klimchuck or Magniapane. The expectation needs to be that Prybil and Jankowski should be closer to an NHL spot sooner rather than later otherwise the odds significantly decrease that they can be effective NHL pros. You can live with warts in the game of prospects, but if Prybil comes over with significant holes in his game you have to question and scrutinize that much more as he doesn't have time on his side as much. 

It all depends on how you define a prospect and that is different for eveyone. Not really a right or wrong way to look at it, IMO at least. 

I view Pribyl and Rittich in the same light, less a prospect, more of a NHL capable player.  

Here's what his ex-coach had to say:

His strengths: strong on the puck, skilled hands, plays along the boards, quick orientation and reaction in front of the net, screening the goalie, and is able to pick up the pace with a good pass. 

He is a good team player; with him in our lineup we were always stronger, always creating chances and opportunities.His weaknesses: the defensive zone, blocking shots, average back-checker, one timers, average skater, and his acceleration (first three steps). His game is stronger in the offensive zone; frequent injuries held back his progression and development. He needs to feel the trust and support of his coach, and he repays that back on the ice.

EDIT - ignore the grey background, was just a copy/paste issue.

I think players will be NHL ready when they're ready. Some can play in the league in a developing team, but end up a finge NHLer on a good team.

We are trying to figure that out with letting go a few.

Now, whenever our prospects are ready, they'll push regardless of age. Their personality/maturity also plays into it, as well as their skill. Age and pro experience matters but not in all cases.

What if Mangiapane pushes for a spot? Not saying he will. Or that he is more ready than others, IT IS JUST AN EXAMPLE... Sometimes we have bold to let some know it's not my true belief, but anyone could push.

I hope it's the case.

Also, I hope to ripen those in the AHL slower and develop them into NHLers to have a steady stream coming through. So Prybil could end up on the big club in a few months as he gets into game shape, or next season if it takes that long.

Like everyone else, he needs to show he can.

I agree with the age factoring in, if you haven't cracked in by 25 you likely won't. I think BT has this setting up fairly well with the potential roster at the start of the season and the flexibility for some of our prospects in Stockton to get some NHL time. Pribyl is likely close but BT was smart to grab a player such as Chaisson for the price he did. If Chaisson does well Pribyl likely stays down and keeps preparing for his opportunity. Perhaps he gets his opportunity on the 4th line to see how he handles himself.

Jankowski could be an injury away from an opportunity should any of our Cs go down.

If Prybil and Rittich perform well this season it will really make the roster choices interesting. I'm not expecting much really from either but having the potential there never hurts. Prybil could be the dark horse this season if he proves productive, Frolik, Brower and a relatively productive Prybil isn't a bad mix at RW. Obviously time will tell but we are much better positioned at the RW spot than last year

Outside of the NHL, who are the Flames true "blue chip" prospects? Tkachuk seems obvious at this time but where would you categorize guys like Janko and Gillies, Kylington and Wotherspoon etc.. Most of the former blue chips have all graduated to the NHL level but our prospect pool while vastly improved in all areas doesn't really carry many if any elite prospects. I guess time will tell if they develop into top end talent but on paper we have some really good prospects, outside of potentially Tkachuk we don't seem to have any game breakers. How do you guys see it?

Outside of the NHL, who are the Flames true "blue chip" prospects? Tkachuk seems obvious at this time but where would you categorize guys like Janko and Gillies, Kylington and Wotherspoon etc.. Most of the former blue chips have all graduated to the NHL level but our prospect pool while vastly improved in all areas doesn't really carry many if any elite prospects. I guess time will tell if they develop into top end talent but on paper we have some really good prospects, outside of potentially Tkachuk we don't seem to have any game breakers. How do you guys see it?

When I hear "blue chip" I think of players stepping into the NHL from Junior first year. In Tkachuk's case does he go back and finish at least 1 more year and enhance his "blue chip" status or come in now and make good on it. It is becoming hard to say with the league rules changing so much and the entry age getting younger all the time. Goalies take longer to hit their stride even when touted as blue chipper, look at Price. Defensemen also take extra time to max out their potential at the NHL level. I think the big surprise ofthis past draft way watching a so called blue chip Chychrun fall as far as he did.

I like the pipeline BT is building because it has a good variety of players for useful purposes eventually.

It depends what you consider blue chip. If your talking about the types of players that should make a top 50 list then Tkachuk and Gilles are our two. After that we have a group of good prospects like Andersen, Kylington, Jankowski, Hickey, etc.

I just mentioned this in another thread...kind of ironic how I just mentioned the Coyotes and here they are adding more quality prospects. Don't know if I'd consider Crouse a "blue chip" prospect but he's a great asset to acquire. Pretty impressed with how quickly Arizona has turned around there prospect pool!