Flames Defense

CheersMan

We can't be too greedy here.  The Flames have a pretty stellar defense as it is, and we couldn't ask for more skill.  I would like to see a tighter game from Engelland.  Smid may not be a top 4 guy, but he's been solid for the Flames since his acquisition, and plays his role well.  He's had to cover a few times for Engelland's mistakes.

I would like to see maybe Sieloff or Wotherspoon come in and fill the role for Engelland for a 10 game span or so.  Test the waters.

Totals man.  This has been a stellar year for the top pairing Flames duo.  Bro-dano. 

I'm hoping the Flames can run away with a few trophies this season:

Gio - Hart/Norris

Brodie - Norris

Gaudreau - Calder/Byng

Hartley - Jack Adams

For sure Johnny is known back east, and is quickly making a name for himself in the rest of the countries.

He could take over the scoring lead by rookies with a good stretch of games. Forsberg will likely hit a wall, besides everyone loves a little guy story. His clean play will likely earn him some votes for the Byng.

Brodie will have the toughest time getting votes, as he is unknown by the MSM. He isn't as well known as Gio, and even Gio will be forgotten by some. They talk about Weber like he is a shoo-in every year. PK is too much of a me-first player.

A little off topic but Calgary making the playoffs should be a shoe in for Hartley and the Jack Adams. Gio should easily get the Norris. I won't hold my breath for the Hart, too sexy for Calgary as far as the Eastern pundits are concerned.

Would love to see Johnny get the Calder. 

IMO getting the Byng is like getting the Miss Congeniality award. Meh

Brodano... Love that S4xon! Is that your's? Can I use it?  :wub:

A little off topic but Calgary making the playoffs should be a shoe in for Hartley and the Jack Adams. Gio should easily get the Norris. I won't hold my breath for the Hart, too sexy for Calgary as far as the Eastern pundits are concerned.

Would love to see Johnny get the Calder. 

IMO getting the Byng is like getting the Miss Congeniality award. Meh

Brodano... Love that S4xon! Is that your's? Can I use it?  :wub:

Wish I could take credit for Brodano, but alas, it's been used around the interwebs and hockey circles for at least the last year.

For sure Johnny is known back east, and is quickly making a name for himself in the rest of the countries.

He could take over the scoring lead by rookies with a good stretch of games. Forsberg will likely hit a wall, besides everyone loves a little guy story. His clean play will likely earn him some votes for the Byng.

Brodie will have the toughest time getting votes, as he is unknown by the MSM. He isn't as well known as Gio, and even Gio will be forgotten by some. They talk about Weber like he is a shoo-in every year. PK is too much of a me-first player.

Weber is a good player, but yeah, I hate the assumption that he has a spot nailed down.  However, that's been the same sad story with the parade of pundits on team success too.  They still call for Calgary to fall sooner or later and for the 'good' teams, the 'powerhouses' so to speak will take their place.  They call it "falling back to earth".  I have news for them....welcome to earth folks.

Brodano is the real deal this year, and yes, we have the best 2 defenders in the league right now.  It's giving me an inflated head, but I'll take it nonetheless.

Ladies and gentlemen, your 2014-2015 Calgary Flames.  They are for real.  Get used to it.

Barring injuries on the back end, I can't see anyone passing us in the best tandem category. Brodano are on fire and no signs of slowing down. 

As far as the powerhouses passing us? Anything is possible but at this stage, I'm starting to doubt that we are an aberration on the season. We played over .500 hockey the last few months of last year and this year seems just like a continuation of the latter part of last season.

The Flames are in fact 34W-21L-2T since Jan 22 of this year.  I wonder how this compares with other teams over the same time frame? I'm pretty certain this puts us in the company with all playoff teams.

Just checked.  13 games over 0.500 would have put us 12th or 13th over all last year.

Barring injuries on the back end, I can't see anyone passing us in the best tandem category. Brodano are on fire and no signs of slowing down. 

As far as the powerhouses passing us? Anything is possible but at this stage, I'm starting to doubt that we are an aberration on the season. We played over .500 hockey the last few months of last year and this year seems just like a continuation of the latter part of last season.

Yes, and how about the one timer he had in the slot.  Labeled for top corner but Varlamov took it away last second, Russell looked to the heavens and said WHY! WHY!  

Good to see Russell getting some points.  He is one of the least appreciated d-men we have.  Is a tough SOB for his size, and takes a beating out there. His play allows Wideman to jump up above the hash marks.

• 2 weeks later...

Our defense is no longer providing the offense, which is coincidental with our 7 game losing streak. 

That was a large piece of the "unsustainable" part of the flames. It just wasn't realistic for the d to keep scoring at that pace and the offence became too reliant on the d. They need the forwards, specifically the likes of glencross and colborne, to start up picking up the slack.

Have to say that I wasn't cringing when Engelland was on the ice. He was again making some good plays.

Russell had a few gaffs close to the net, but he was ok. I don't know if Potter is any good, but Diaz is scary out there some nights. Tonight he was a bit "quieter" out there, so that isn't too bad.

What can you say about Brodano? Nothing that hasn't already been said.

Our top 4 D have 34, 24, 21 and 15 points. That's 94 points from the blueline.

INSANE.

I thought engleland was ok to start the season but overal was trying to do too much. He's play a very simple game lately and his decision making has improved. I don't think the 3rd pairing is the liability is was earlier in the season.

Potter sent back to the AHL.  Strange move, but I guess it means that Wotherspoon or Seilof is coming up, or they don't need the extra D and want to recall Poirier or Ferland.  I am ok with that.  I somehow doubt Smid is near to playing, but I could be wrong.  No news on him other than put on IR.

Potter sent back to the AHL.  Strange move, but I guess it means that Wotherspoon or Seilof is coming up, or they don't need the extra D and want to recall Poirier or Ferland.  I am ok with that.  I somehow doubt Smid is near to playing, but I could be wrong.  No news on him other than put on IR.

It is too bad.  I was hoping he would get a game or two.  My guess is either Smid is ready or they want to sit Diaz and are calling up another D prospect now that there is a spot to play in.

• 1 month later...

Flames win vs SJ

e818eb60677bf7eed50d1dc3aab4da39.png

I think our top 4 dmen are getting the job done, we don’t need to tinker with these 4 guys at this time.  I’ve been reading suggestions all over the place about adding a top 1-4 dman.  Why?  Why would you want to mess with the chemistry that is getting the job done?  Why sacrifice the future (picks and prospects) for what could turn out to be just a rental anyways. 

-------------
My question is; if you add this 1-4 dman which existing dman do you plan on sending to the 3rd pairing?  Our 3rd pairing dmen are getting 10 min a night.  Do you want Russell down there?  I don’t.  Do you want Wideman, our most expensive and productive goal scoring dman down there?  I don’t.  I agree, we could improve our bottom pairing but adding a top 4 at this time is a mistake IMO, we don’t need it.  If we add a dman it should be a bottom pairing defensive dman that reduces the times the puck enters our net.