Flames Defense

CheersMan

Thanks kehatch,

Maybe I am being a little hard on Brodie.  I'm on the fence.

Here's the thing:   When we're thinking of a rebuild, I feel we should think in terms of  where the players will project on a contender.

So when I project Brodie out, I'm thinking more of where he would fit in on the LA Kings roster, than how he fit in here last year.

To help you project Brodie, here's an interesting stat. He has better stats than Duncan Keith did at the same age on a similarly placed team.

Whichever way, I think Brodie will be more valuable than Devin Setoguchi, who doesn't deserve to be here.

In the least.

This topic talks about Flames Defense and not forwards. I'm not sure why there's a need to bring Devin Setoguchi down. Also, it's unfair to compare a top pairing defenseman to a guy who was brought here to play 3rd or 4th line minutes for $750k.

This topic talks about Flames Defense and not forwards. I'm not sure why there's a need to bring Devin Setoguchi down. Also, it's unfair to compare a top pairing defenseman to a guy who was brought here to play 3rd or 4th line minutes for $750k.

I think your avatar brings out the Seto hate. Not very popular player in this board. He is averaging 2-3rd line minutes and PP time, so he is expected to add offense. Don't take it personal.

I think your avatar brings out the Seto hate. Not very popular player in this board. He is averaging 2-3rd line minutes and PP time, so he is expected to add offense. Don't take it personal.

That is Setoguchi?  I thought that was some lazy guy sitting by himself trying to figure out if he has the energy to go order a drink at the bar or if he will wait another 11 minutes for the waitress to come by because he is a notoriously bad tipper.  Your guess makes more sense, but you can see where I could make a mistake.  

That is Setoguchi?  I thought that was some lazy guy sitting by himself trying to figure out if he has the energy to go order a drink at the bar or if he will wait another 11 minutes for the waitress to come by because he is a notoriously bad tipper.  Your guess makes more sense, but you can see where I could make a mistake.

Oh, burn!

I think he is the guy that the bouncer takes up to the bar and points him out to the bartender. He then turns around and walks out of the bar and asks some guy to go buy him a drink, which he spills, and then asks for another drink because somebody made him spill it.

Oh, burn!

I think he is the guy that the bouncer takes up to the bar and points him out to the bartender. He then turns around and walks out of the bar and asks some guy to go buy him a drink, which he spills, and then asks for another drink because somebody made him spill it.

Now that I think about it your guy was Setoguchi, then my guy was Setoguchi, then your guy was Setoguchi again.  Uncanny. 

Are you saying he will be much better than Duncan Keith?

I'm not saying he'll be better, I'm just saying the stats are comparable and slightly tilted in TJs favor. Also, this is a little off topic but anyone else notice parallels between our rebuild and Chi towns? We have a young defenseman putting up elite numbers (TJ Brodie/Duncan Keith), a small skilled winger that some have compared to Patrick Kane (Gaudreau), and a young, strong, 2-way centre that has been compared to Toews (Monahan) that we can build around? It's uncanny. One thing we have that they don't is what will hopefully be a bonafide 1-2 centre with Bennett and Monahan. The Hawks have had some trouble with finding that #2 centre.

Because you've been pumping his tires all over the board. I watched all of camp and all exhibition live. You simply hit a nerve in me by inflating the flatlined. $750 for a 3rd/4th liner be darned, he still has to be a 3rd/4th liner. We have better options. He's depth, so should be on the farm.

For what our D has been able to do, I think it has a ton to do with the confidence we have in our goalies that has everyone heading North a lot more often than in the past, without fear. Another shining example of why you build your team from the net out!

I'm not saying he'll be better, I'm just saying the stats are comparable and slightly tilted in TJs favor. Also, this is a little off topic but anyone else notice parallels between our rebuild and Chi towns? We have a young defenseman putting up elite numbers (TJ Brodie/Duncan Keith), a small skilled winger that some have compared to Patrick Kane (Gaudreau), and a young, strong, 2-way centre that has been compared to Toews (Monahan) that we can build around? It's uncanny. One thing we have that they don't is what will hopefully be a bonafide 1-2 centre with Bennett and Monahan. The Hawks have had some trouble with finding that #2 centre.

There are some yes, but defence would be the biggest difference IMO. The hawks were able to build a very strong and deep d core and so far the flames are very lacking in that area, especially over the next few seasons with the prospects they have. The rocks the hawks have on the blueline and their depth is a huge reason IMO they've got the two cups.

With 18 pts, Gio sits in 3rd place in the entire NHL, just 1 pt behind Crosby. Early indications has the Norris Award coming to Cowtown.

Well, yeah. But to Brodie (better +/-) or Gio (a force at both ends.) Why not have them share the award.

There are some yes, but defence would be the biggest difference IMO. The hawks were able to build a very strong and deep d core and so far the flames are very lacking in that area, especially over the next few seasons with the prospects they have. The rocks the hawks have on the blueline and their depth is a huge reason IMO they've got the two cups.

True, but there's always time for them to draft/trade/develop their D-core. Sieloff and Wotherspoon are looking to be alright and Kanzig is a beefy 3rd pair sorta guy.

Well, yeah. But to Brodie (better +/-) or Gio (a force at both ends.) Why not have them share the award.

True, but there's always time for them to draft/trade/develop their D-core. Sieloff and Wotherspoon are looking to be alright and Kanzig is a beefy 3rd pair sorta guy.

I'll be shocked if Kanzig makes the NHL, he's plateaued since they drafted him and I've talked to a couple of people who have seen him live and no one is impressed. The flames are full of bubble dman that might make it and even if they do likely make out as a 4/5 dman unless they get lucky and find another Gio. Hickey has looked good so far however but he is a few years away. The flames don't look horrible on d for the next year or two but 3 years out they may be in a bit of trouble. Would be wise to try and find a dman in the 21-23 range because even drafting a dman this year likely wouldn't help the team who I think the could have a good shot.

I'll be shocked if Kanzig makes the NHL, he's plateaued since they drafted him and I've talked to a couple of people who have seen him live and no one is impressed. The flames are full of bubble dman that might make it and even if they do likely make out as a 4/5 dman unless they get lucky and find another Gio. Hickey has looked good so far however but he is a few years away. The flames don't look horrible on d for the next year or two but 3 years out they may be in a bit of trouble. Would be wise to try and find a dman in the 21-23 range because even drafting a dman this year likely wouldn't help the team who I think the could have a good shot.

Well that automatically makes him a bust then? I say we give him the time he needs to develop before we start judging if he's NHL material or not.

I have seen him live too and I disagree with him having plateaued. I think he's improved his skating and is looking pretty solid in his own end. He is definitely more than just the pylon we drafted and is still very young.

Well that automatically makes him a bust then? I say we give him the time he needs to develop before we start judging if he's NHL material or not.

I have seen him live too and I disagree with him having plateaued. I think he's improved his skating and is looking pretty solid in his own end. He is definitely more than just the pylon we drafted and is still very young.

No it doesn't guarantee anything but it removes a lot of hope IMO. Kanzig is already in his 4th season in the WHL too remember that and his point totals have not improved.

Just banging the drum a little more for those who think our D is redundant.

DD, if you can edit out the advertisement it would be much appreciated. :)

http://www.tsn.ca/video/th2n-flames-defence-leads-the-way-1.125673

Something about this reminds me of the B. Sutter era. The importance of involving your defense really makes a difference. When Sutter was the coach, I feel like the offense was stifled by an immobile defense. Had they activated Bouwmeester, things would have been a bit different.

Now, we saw the difference, and I think that's what makes Hartley's system so effective. He puts the trust in the D to keep plays going in the other team's end. Love it. Hockey how it should be played. 

This is where the forward prospects come in. If they can continue to impress, their worth can net us a decent D prospect from a team that is deep in D prospects. 

Hoping that's how things can pan out. 

Has anyone else noticed that Smid is even starting to activate a lot and take some shots. Not getting any points but I've caught a few times where it was a really good chance (and had any of our top 4 D made the same shot it would likely have been a goal) or a couple times he has actually kept play going in the O-zone off his activation. If he can work on his shot a bit we might even have another Dman who can put up some points on the third pairing.