Flames Defense

CheersMan

Has anyone else noticed that Smid is even starting to activate a lot and take some shots. Not getting any points but I've caught a few times where it was a really good chance (and had any of our top 4 D made the same shot it would likely have been a goal) or a couple times he has actually kept play going in the O-zone off his activation. If he can work on his shot a bit we might even have another Dman who can put up some points on the third pairing.

I don't mind him rushing up, but he has to spot open players and fire a hard pass.  Don't want to see him try a wrap-around.  Saw that before and it didn't end well. Would like to see him pass it off and drive the net.

On the topic of Kanzig's skating. Can you guys think of anyother of defensemen the Flames drafted was a notoriously bad skater when drafted? I do. Al Macinnis was a absolutely horrid skater, he was drafted mainly because of his wicked slap shot.

and we just hired a special skating coach for prospects like this.

• Like 1

On the topic of Kanzig's skating. Can you guys think of anyother of defensemen the Flames drafted was a notoriously bad skater when drafted? I do. Al Macinnis was a absolutely horrid skater, he was drafted mainly because of his wicked slap shot.

I don't think you could have picked two different types or players or two different types of eras.

I don't think anyone is denying that Kanzig could improve. But many, myself included, are really sceptical.

He was back in the 2nd period.  4 stitches, and wearing a visor now.

was not impressed with the referees last night, they seemed to be missing alot of calls on both teams, and making calls on other things. One of the bad games ive seen in a while.

Although our top pairing seems to be better and better every game.

D depth to cover for your top 2 D men in the form of prospects is virtually impossible. If you have a top 2 capable D man in the organization and not playing as a top 2, then he is playing a 3-4 role. You will never have a 1-2 ready D man sitting in the minors. Calgary has reasonable D depth for the future, just not quite the top end potential. The Flames will need to hit it big in a draft or in a trade to get more top end D talent which EVERY team is looking for along with top end forwards and goalies. We have plenty of 4-6 depth D in the system, just not top 3.

When everyone in flames world collectively held their breath last night when Gio left the ice, it pointed out how badly we need more D prospects in the system. Hopefully at least 2 of our current prospects pan out to be at least 2nd line capable.

Yes, because being worried that the team leading scorer and captain is going to be down for any length of time is an indication of that.

It's too bad Gio's point streak ended.  But it was another stellar end to a game. Hard fought third, a little flat in the first and 2nd.

Something to note is Wideman's ability to step up when Gio/Brodie don't seem to be lighting the lamp or assisting in doing so.  It's nice to have the options the Flames do in the top 4. 

It's too bad Gio's point streak ended.  But it was another stellar end to a game. Hard fought third, a little flat in the first and 2nd.

Something to note is Wideman's ability to step up when Gio/Brodie don't seem to be lighting the lamp or assisting in doing so.  It's nice to have the options the Flames do in the top 4.

Agreed. Wideman was on a streak and was surpassed by Gio/Brodie. One of them has a less effective (scoring only) night and he steps back up. Like to see that slapper from the point. Goes in or creates rebounds.

I don't think we should be complaining about anything folks.  Yes, the early leads from the opposition can be scary at times; so fingers can easily be pointed to the defense. However, what I like about the pairings is that Kris Russell, Dennis Wideman, Brodie and Giordano are also contributing immensely.  Besides, trading players will ruin the chemistry the team has built.  

The Flames could definitely benefit from more skill and mobility out of their 5 - 7th defense-men.

We can't be too greedy here.  The Flames have a pretty stellar defense as it is, and we couldn't ask for more skill.  I would like to see a tighter game from Engelland.  Smid may not be a top 4 guy, but he's been solid for the Flames since his acquisition, and plays his role well.  He's had to cover a few times for Engelland's mistakes.

I would like to see maybe Sieloff or Wotherspoon come in and fill the role for Engelland for a 10 game span or so.  Test the waters.

Nov 29th.  Wow, 2 line mates equally deserving of the Norris today.

0339856fffeaeecf7f5cc18b2bf525fe.png

Totals man.  This has been a stellar year for the top pairing Flames duo.  Bro-dano. 

I'm hoping the Flames can run away with a few trophies this season:

Gio - Hart/Norris

Brodie - Norris

Gaudreau - Calder/Byng

Hartley - Jack Adams