Flames Defense

CheersMan

3 hours ago, robrob74 said:

It has been a year!

A tough one for Flames fans, but there's started to be room for optimism. 

last year we had a bare cupboard of D zone prospects. We are now looking a bit more up, and need to fill the more defensive side. So this is D prospects... there are more for sure. 

If they turn out, We seem to have mobile offensive-minded D. 

XXX, Parekh

XXX, Brzustewicz

XXX, Poirier(?)

it's a long ways away, but it's nice to have that optimism. Will Morin make it? Poirier? How about any of the other kids, to fill out that part of the roster. If Brzustewicz makes it and is a top pair, can be tradeable? 

a lot of negativity swarmed the team, can we get to positivity again? 

Who do you think will make the show, maybe not this next year but in following years to come?

33 minutes ago, Kulstad said:

The bolded is what drives me, and I believe a lot of others, crazy (if I'm understanding you right).  Why would we spend all the time, effort and resources to get an AHL player NHL-ready, have him show himself to be a fairly decent catch, only to turn around and trade him as soon as possible?  If he's looked at as being part of "the core", why be in such a hurry to get rid of the guy?

Honestly, this is the kind of talk that makes me tune out anything else someone has to say.

But......if I'm not reading that correctly, I'll just slink back into the shadows

And at the end of the day, anyone is tradeable.  It depends if someone blows us out of the waters with an offer.  Certainly, don't trade someone for the sake of it.  One step forward and one step back.  Makes no sense.

But definitely, if Brzuc, Mews, and Parekh pan out, then Weegar and Andersson could be traded for help elsewhere in the lineup.  We would have too many RHS RD (which is a good problem to have)... trade the older ones and keep the younger kids.

28 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

And at the end of the day, anyone is tradeable.  It depends if someone blows us out of the waters with an offer.  Certainly, don't trade someone for the sake of it.  One step forward and one step back.  Makes no sense.

But definitely, if Brzuc, Mews, and Parekh pan out, then Weegar and Andersson could be traded for help elsewhere in the lineup.  We would have too many RHS RD (which is a good problem to have)... trade the older ones and keep the younger kids.

Everyone is tradeable, but at some point you need to ice a team that can be competetive at some point.  In 5 years, Ras is 33 and Weegar is 35.  They could be the best 1-2 punch in the NHL by then.  It's possible that Parekh and Brzust could be top pairing capable by then, but maybe just on the way.  Not everyone is at that level by age 21/22.  I would be inclined to trade one of the older guys once they get passed by the kids.

There is no absolutely right or wrong in how you develop and build the roster.  It's organic.  

19 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

^^^^

I just threw that last line in for the heck of it.

There are many right and wrong ways that other teams do.

I think we might be okay in building the roster a number of ways.

i know what you meant.   It's unlike me to comment because I'm usually very positive and affirming.  Don't know what came over me

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

i know what you meant.   It's unlike me to comment because I'm usually very positive and affirming.  Don't know what came over me

I approve of this advertizement!  Anyone who trashes the Oilers is ahright by me.

I can't help but doubt the naysayers regarding our D. We're finding guys that were buried in depth, and that's a hard rut to get out of. Then you get traded for peanuts, a throw-in, a waiver claim...then you meet your new boss, and he's off-the-rails so happy to have you.

That's a massive shift in your psyche, and you're completely re-invigorated.

You're 21 again, and ready to work your tail off for your new boss.

So what everyone thinks about that guy is because of his former lot in life. It went stale.

That old fire they tried to snuff out is back. Flames baby!!

Sharangovich, anyone?

He won't be the only one. The expanded NHL scouting dept is flexing its muscle.

It's going to be fun to watch.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I don't question what the Flames are doing with the D core. I think trying to find some players buried elsewhere (Miramanov, Bean) and giving them a chance is a sounds strategy. Best case you find something, worst case, well you were likely gonna struggle anyway and can move on quickly. 

But I expect this unit to really struggle. I think they are going to struggle both in terms of exiting the zone and with in zone defence. 

31 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I don't question what the Flames are doing with the D core. I think trying to find some players buried elsewhere (Miramanov, Bean) and giving them a chance is a sounds strategy. Best case you find something, worst case, well you were likely gonna struggle anyway and can move on quickly. 

But I expect this unit to really struggle. I think they are going to struggle both in terms of exiting the zone and with in zone defence. 

One thing I think they should do is make sure there are some tough net front D. When transitions to youth happen, veteran teams tend to take liberties on the young D and young goalies. It's probably my only worry when it comes to a guy like Wolf, whether they can physically protect him. 

28 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

One thing I think they should do is make sure there are some tough net front D. When transitions to youth happen, veteran teams tend to take liberties on the young D and young goalies. It's probably my only worry when it comes to a guy like Wolf, whether they can physically protect him. 

Unless someone really changes their style I don't see this skill set much in their current group. 

The style of his d core right now is one that I don't think is hard to play against. Bahl has some of these traits but from what i've seen, and read, on him he doesn't display it enough. Most of their core defends via positions/placement and stick, and not so much on the body. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cross16 said:

It would be nice to see a punisher or 2. That's lacking, for sure.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

It would be nice to see a punisher or 2. That's lacking, for sure.

We had Zaddy, but he would only puniush if you came into a zone with your head down or against the boards.  He was somewhat uselss clearing out the debris in front of the net.  I got so annoyed watching player allowed to skate through the crease, bump the goalie and score as they fell.  Somehow, we were the reason they fell.  I would prefer for them to run into a brick wall trying to skate into the crease.

• 2 weeks later...

From daily faceoff, does this look accurate?

Weegar-Miromanov

Bahl-Andersson

Bean-Pachal

Too bad Poirier lost a year. I guess the wildcards would be Grushnikov, Solovyov and Kuznetsov?

Is it too early for me to go dyslexic, and the letters start changing to Brzustewicz, Morin, Jurmo and Parekh? lol

That's a rhetorical question.

Here's a recent pic of Bruce's offseason routine:

finding-nemo-bruce-finding-nemo-wallpape

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

From daily faceoff, does this look accurate?

Weegar-Miromanov

Bahl-Andersson

Bean-Pachal

Too bad Poirier lost a year. I guess the wildcards would be Grushnikov, Solovyov and Kuznetsov?

Is it too early for me to go dyslexic, and the letters start changing to Brzustewicz, Morin, Jurmo and Parekh? lol

That's a rhetorical question.

It's probably what makes the most sense at this point.  Bahl adds some size where Andersson needs it.  The top pair looks to be about right, since both can skate.  No idea what Bean can do, but makes sense to default him to playing with Pachal.  

Poirier did well coming off an injury to basically repeat his season stats pace in the AHL.

Almost the same p/gp.  Exact same goals per game pace.  Doing after an injury is impressive.

Solo has the NHL experience, so more likely to get the call (or more likely stays on the 7D spot).

He is waiver eligible, so I don't know we risk it.

The rest are waiver exempt, except Hanley.