The Official Calgary Flames "New Arena" thread

DirtyDeeds

9 hours ago, travel_dude said:

So, that would mean the Stamps stadium built on top of the Flames arena.  Not quite a 4-plex, but give it time.

The old deal and the new deal both include first right of purchase on the bus shelter property .. my gut on this tells me that's where they think a football stadium could go .. it's the perfect land size .

It seemed to be important to them to have that option both times 

FWIW the Flames have long said publicly that while theh liked element of Rogers Place, Little Caesar’s was the rink they spent more time studying. 

im expecting something along those lines. 

39 minutes ago, cross16 said:

FWIW the Flames have long said publicly that while theh liked element of Rogers Place, Little Caesar’s was the rink they spent more time studying. 

im expecting something along those lines. 

Heard this too .  Rogers has "mistakes " to learn from but Little Caesars and also Bell Center they seemed more drawn to 

44 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

It was either that, or Rogers.

Love.

Yep ..we seemingly have only 2-3 companies in this country willing to pay for building names ..

Tbh I was hoping Telus might step up .. 

3 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Yep ..we seemingly have only 2-3 companies in this country willing to pay for building names ..

Tbh I was hoping Telus might step up .. 

I was hoping for the Doug Lacey's Basement Systems Downtown Event Centre Emporium and Rib Shack, personally, but outside of that, anything but Rogers or Scotiabank.

Remember when it was called the Olympic Saddledome? Holy Satoshi Nakamotoballs... people thought it was a bad thing when it became the Canadian Airlines Saddledome because of how corporate that made it seem. Hockey is for the people, right?

Love.

• Like 3

Yeah its annoying that 3-4 companies have naming rights on all NHL stadiums plus the MLB park in this country, but what is more annoying are the ones like the Panthers who've gone from the National Car Rental Center to Office Depot Center to BankAtlantic Center to BB&T Center to FLA Live Arena and now Amerant Bank Arena.  

6 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Not gonna lie...  I like it ..

Not an eyesore .. lots of potential with live boards and displays .outside .  Gathering spots ... good use of space Indoors

I'm.pretty sure they said the largest electronic signage /display place of any sports venue in the world 

2 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Not gonna lie...  I like it ..

Not an eyesore .. lots of potential with live boards and displays .outside .  Gathering spots ... good use of space Indoors

The Cauldron. Damn. I wish that was my idea. lol

Nice to see it’s moving. I’m not a massive fan of the design as u don’t like how much it resembles the new BMo center which it will be down the street from. Looks pretty generic to me. 

but I’m function over fashion so not a big deal. I do like the concept of using it as a gathering place 

11 hours ago, cross16 said:

Nice to see it’s moving. I’m not a massive fan of the design as u don’t like how much it resembles the new BMo center which it will be down the street from. Looks pretty generic to me. 

but I’m function over fashion so not a big deal. I do like the concept of using it as a gathering place 

I was more fearful that it would just be glass overkill. The seating does somewhat resemble the LCA. If I understood correctly, the playing surface is maybe 10m below grade? That's similar to LCA at about 12m below grade.

Lots of digging to start.

Anyone know if the actual land access and design specs are available yet?

No concourse plans have been shared just yet, that I can tell.

Here's a fun little walk through vid of LCA's main concourse. What is really funny is seeing my daughter walk by on her way to the washroom.lol

When you see him hit the Huntington entrance, that's the end area of the rink. His vid starts and ends at the main entrance.

There are 2 more narrower concourses above, so 3 levels, which sounds the same as the cauldron design.

Fun exercise, how many players currently on the Flames, will be on the team when the arena opens?

24/25, 25/26, 26/27. A minimum of three full seasons away still.

Huberdeau, Weegar, Kadri, Sharangovich, Zary, Wolf, Coronato, maybe Pelletier.

Contracts expire for Backlund, Coleman, Andersson in that time. Someone like Pospisil could very well still be on the team. He’s just someone I think will end up highly coveted at a TDL in a few seasons.

Felt bad for Huska being at the ceremony yesterday, for a building he’s unlikely to be the coach of the Flames for, when it opens. I like. Huska, but the Flames haven’t had a coach survive 5 seasons in a very long time.