The Official Calgary Flames "New Arena" thread

DirtyDeeds

On 6/24/2024 at 2:49 PM, cross16 said:

Water main work likely delaying a lot of this though. 

Huge sore spot for me. In 2000-2001 I was part of an analysis, within my company, to come up with a plan to assess water main inspections. I had done similar in London, ON with good results.

So I was initially given Calgary because I lived there. We had solid, though not perfect, remote field eddy current inspection that was decent, and we could prove out healthy underground distances.

Our company was Edmonton-based.

In zero time, the powers that be decided to replace me with some wizard from Houston, because he was the Satoshi Nakamoto and the job was important.

He got busted at the 4th St(I think) Safeway for running out without paying for goods, into a company truck, all caught on camera. So my company told the cops which hotel room, aaaand they busted him with crack too.

Genius.

I quit immediately. I've never been so effing insulted.

I might still be in Calgary if I hadn't been so outright humiliated. And I can't guarantee it, but in how the technologies grow by leaps and bounds almost yearly, not to be arrogant, but I can bet I would have had this little nightmare not happen.

I've been reading up on it a lot. The quotes are a riot. "It shouldn't...". Wow, you guys are experts. The Bearspaw breach was classic. "There's no reason". lol

Guys, you're in the foothills of a mountain range. If you don't sand pad the Satoshi Nakamoto out of it, guess what? It's going to move anyways. The foothills are lethal for pipelines. It will break your Satoshi Nakamoto. Ask BP, Plains, Shell, Pembina etc.

This isn't new information.

Every breach, break, leak is human error. Pure stupidity/lack of understanding/9-5 job not caring.

• Like 1

initially, I wondered what the point of a new scoreboard in the dome was, with there only being three or four seasons remaining.

I think it speaks to ownership being concerned about what’s coming. The on-ice product may not be very good. Try to enhance the experience to get people to buy tickets.

11 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

initially, I wondered what the point of a new scoreboard in the dome was, with there only being three or four seasons remaining.

I think it speaks to ownership being concerned about what’s coming. The on-ice product may not be very good. Try to enhance the experience to get people to buy tickets.

They say the technology is outdated and no longer supported by the supplier, so I guess its also an issue of if something goes wrong they have no way to fix it.  I'm just excited about the possibility of being able to clearly see a replay from my seats.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, sak22 said:

AFT

Love it. 

I was in 2013 in CGY.... Taff one. 

Got the flight and all the stuff 9 months befor booked for a 2 Week stand in Jan 13. Then Lock out until ..... the day I flow back home 😞

At least I was able to visit the training Camp sessions in the Dome. but only got to watch a Hitman game and not a Flames game... 

Not sure if it will happen, that I will go to the Dome once for visit a CGY game 😞 

Happy for the Org and the City that they get there new Event Center! 

15 hours ago, sak22 said:

AFT

Im really looking forward to the renderings ..will be nice to put a visual to what's coming.. 

I think HKO has the contract again (not sure , but think I read that ) .. if so they have some good buildings on their resume ..

Sad to think the original deal was targeted to open next season before it was killed .. but can't wait 

3 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

Im really looking forward to the renderings ..will be nice to put a visual to what's coming.. 

I think HKO has the contract again (not sure , but think I read that ) .. if so they have some good buildings on their resume ..

Sad to think the original deal was targeted to open next season before it was killed .. but can't wait 

Do you mean HOK that designed Rogers Place?

35 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Do you mean HOK that designed Rogers Place?

I never understood the drop of mercury for a design of the arena.

What does that have to do with Oil Country?

Also, be careful of leaky roofs.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I never understood the drop of mercury for a design of the arena.

What does that have to do with Oil Country?

Also, be careful of leaky roofs.

I'll admit I'm not a fan or really overly concerned about the external look.. but their buildings have a history of good seating layout views 

I like to compare Rogers place to the head of a golf club..seemed fitting 😁

I agree with phoenix, the exterior doesn't have to wow.  I hope they spend the money on the interior.  And I expect something like the Oilers arena on the inside.  A big lower bowl.  Then at least two rows of box seats.  Wrap around LCD screens/lights.  A nice jumbotron.  And a better nose bleed section than what we have had in the Saddledome.

Screenshot 2024-07-18 150159.png

I am all for a subdued outside in favour of an awesome entertainment experience.  Just having seats is not enough.  Has to take into account the Bow, since we are told 100 year storms happen every couple of years, so it can't be in a deep hole.  Maybe it's like a generational player.  5 of them in one season.  Huh?  Seriously, I just don't care for nosebleed sections like PL, since it was a gross way to get tou a seat.  

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Seriously, I just don't care for nosebleed sections like PL, since it was a gross way to get tou a seat.  

Unfortunately, that's the only section most of us will be able to afford.  I hope the $100 nose bleeds section will feel a bit premium because it's still $100 and not $30 after all.

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I am all for a subdued outside in favour of an awesome entertainment experience.  Just having seats is not enough.  Has to take into account the Bow, since we are told 100 year storms happen every couple of years, so it can't be in a deep hole.  Maybe it's like a generational player.  5 of them in one season.  Huh?  Seriously, I just don't care for nosebleed sections like PL, since it was a gross way to get tou a seat.  

One of their trends is " steep seating" ..even tho Rogers is a bit wider , they tend to make seating so that even the nosebleeds are looking over the ice ..whole idea is not a bad seat in the house 

One of their trends is " steep seating" ..even tho Rogers is a bit wider , they tend to make seating so that even the nosebleeds are looking over the ice ..whole idea is not a bad seat in the house 

The upper levels of the MTS / Bell, Canada Life are quite steep but manageable. Just pray they make the seats a little wider than here. Im not a fan of actual contact (shoulder to shoulder) with the fan next to me. Even lower bowl seats are like that.

4 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Unfortunately, that's the only section most of us will be able to afford.  I hope the $100 nose bleeds section will feel a bit premium because it's still $100 and not $30 after all.

Don't get me wrong, the seating itself is not the problem.  It's the approach.  I was at the Glendale Arena and IIRC you had an escaltor to get to the upper sections.  I'm not a fan of unaccessable seating.    

8 hours ago, The_People1 said:

The nosebleeds at Rogers Place are awful. You watch the screen more than live. Feels like staring straight down from a 100' ledge. The ol' Joe Louis was steep, but nothing like that.

Little Caesar's are also steep, but nothing like Rogers Place.

LCA_198.0.jpg

DD, I so want to downvote you, as it brought me to this story when I scrolled down.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/video/news/calgary-feeder-main-break-to-cost-tens-of-millions-city-official/vi-BB1q6Srb?pc=NMTS&ei=27

This Satoshi Nakamoto just burns me up. Bureaucracy reigns supreme. "We didn't see it happening there, there was, like, zero chance".

Let me see if I can hit the nail on the head:

"They said they could inspect the mainlines, but for $10mil. We thought they were fear-mongering us into what the alternative might be".

Yup. That's what we do. We say good stuff is bad when it's not. That sounds like reputation-building. lol

I'm not being specific to Calgary, but this stuff is always the same. Seriously.

Cost+ emergencies will eat $5mil for a snack. That's just your environmentalist fish-cop pretending they run shows lol.  You don't want to spend the $10 up front and at least be able to schedule outages for replacements or repairs. It's literally assurance or litigation vs inspection. I mean damn, I can just pretend everything's okay and not tax the city budget. That'll be a stress-free lifestyle. As opposed to, oh I don't know, addressing real or potential problems.

$10's of millions? That'll hit 9 figures.

Inspection is an odd trade. It sure hardens you. I'd mentioned Stampede free passes in another post. Some are grateful, most are not.

I went to Lethbridge to assess 2 500 ton cranes. They were freshly painted. My first reaction to the owner was, "you're Blockchaining kidding me, I am so going to ruin your new paint job". Both ended up condemned. The boom cracks were waay spidering into the body. So, are you calling your regulator or am I? He chose me to do it. That was ballsy. He. Blockchaining. Hated. Me.

Happens all of the time. Every industry. This is why the stampede ride guys blew me away.

They were near ecstatic that I condemned and hooked them up with a civil engineer buddy.

Just blown away. "Wow, you guys are actually hearing what I'm telling you".

It's rare. Tough trade. Nobody wants you there, but they have to.

7 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Don't get me wrong, the seating itself is not the problem.  It's the approach.  I was at the Glendale Arena and IIRC you had an escaltor to get to the upper sections.  I'm not a fan of unaccessable seating.    

Funny you should mention Glendale . I went to a game there , sat in the lower bowl so can't really speak to the overall seating..but In terms.of set up I recall thinking " this is what an entertainment district needs to be " ..

Aside from it being in the middle of nowhere .. the district was perfect . Clubs and shops right there .. pedestrian traffic and party zone outside ... The football stadium right next door .. 

My initial thoughts were if the opponent's to getting Calgary a new arena / district could just see this ..they might actually "get it " 

Funny you should mention Glendale . I went to a game there , sat in the lower bowl so can't really speak to the overall seating..but In terms.of set up I recall thinking " this is what an entertainment district needs to be " ..

Aside from it being in the middle of nowhere .. the district was perfect . Clubs and shops right there .. pedestrian traffic and party zone outside ... The football stadium right next door .. 

My initial thoughts were if the opponent's to getting Calgary a new arena / district could just see this ..they might actually "get it " 

When I was there, I was thinking the same thing.  I haven't been to Smashville, but hear that they have it right as well.  Even parking was well run.  Guide you to a lane with spots.  But the fact that it seemed to be on a tract of land they owened, you could seem to walk around.  I think that is missing in city designs.  I don't know how Little Caesar is set up, but it couldn't be worse than EDM's main street next to transition services (read soup kitchen), just off the busiest corner in the city perhaps.  Katz made a killing and the city is too stupid to know they got hosed.  Different hosing by the Flames, but I won't get into that.  

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

When I was there, I was thinking the same thing.  I haven't been to Smashville, but hear that they have it right as well.  Even parking was well run.  Guide you to a lane with spots.  But the fact that it seemed to be on a tract of land they owened, you could seem to walk around.  I think that is missing in city designs.  I don't know how Little Caesar is set up, but it couldn't be worse than EDM's main street next to transition services (read soup kitchen), just off the busiest corner in the city perhaps.  Katz made a killing and the city is too stupid to know they got hosed.  Different hosing by the Flames, but I won't get into that.  

I don't think North American cities are using their real estate properly. I was in Scotland during Christmas this past one and many of their back alleys had shop lanes and pubs. I went to Thailand in 2004 and down in Koh Samui there was a place that had that kind of thing with about 5 or 6 night clubs connected. Kind of cool to get different vibes and music. 

50 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I don't think North American cities are using their real estate properly. I was in Scotland during Christmas this past one and many of their back alleys had shop lanes and pubs. I went to Thailand in 2004 and down in Koh Samui there was a place that had that kind of thing with about 5 or 6 night clubs connected. Kind of cool to get different vibes and music. 

It comes down to ideal location vs ideal development space.  You can transform the whole Stampede area by eliminating all traffic.  To do that, you need staging for cars and such to get from home.  Transit is fine, but is not a pleasant experience anymore.  Nashville I think is closer to more of a city experience that has bar and food after bar and other entertainment.  Like New Orleans streets in the Fr Quarter.  Not a place you drive much.

Teams want to be downtown.  Harder to strike a good balance unless you can redevelop the entire area.  IIRC, that was sort of the original plan.  Maybe not so much with the last designs of the district.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

I believe Gondek is trying to blanket rezone the whole city... Not sure.  But it made everyone mad.

7 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I believe Gondek is trying to blanket rezone the whole city... Not sure.  But it made everyone mad.

So, that would mean the Stamps stadium built on top of the Flames arena.  Not quite a 4-plex, but give it time.