s4xon

24 minutes ago, zima said:

So then lets get Reynolds to purchase this team I'm on board with that.

Sadly, I don't see that happening, but I was thinking about that recently. It'd probably bring a really fun element to how that team does its business, and it might become a good part of the show/atmosphere.

Love.

2 minutes ago, zima said:

Well since Ryan was considering purchasing the sens I thought why not take the Flames instead Just a thought?

If it were a choice between the two, I'd hope he made that choice, too... sadly, what I mean, is that I don't think that the Flames are for sale.

Love.

1 hour ago, oldschoolplayer said:

The Flames are losing fans like never before. 

I don't know about that, Man... things were pretty lean in the 90's.

And who are all these fans that they are losing? I know that there's a lot of criticism in the comment threads on the Rick Bell article, and a lot of talk (from you too, even) about whiny players not being able to play for a hard coach, but if the organization is hemorrhaging fairweather fans, I'm pretty sure that it's nothing a win streak won't fix.

That being said, there is plenty of good reason to be critical of Flames ownership, and direction. If nothing else, this is an interesting time to follow the team. Even though sometimes it feels like cutting myself.

Love.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

I don't know about that, Man... things were pretty lean in the 90's.

And who are all these fans that they are losing? I know that there's a lot of criticism in the comment threads on the Rick Bell article, and a lot of talk (from you too, even) about whiny players not being able to play for a hard coach, but if the organization is hemorrhaging fairweather fans, I'm pretty sure that it's nothing a win streak won't fix.

That being said, there is plenty of good reason to be critical of Flames ownership, and direction. If nothing else, this is an interesting time to follow the team. Even though sometimes it feels like cutting myself.

Love.

Had we not fired Sutter, there would be nothing to cheer for.  I mean the usual cheering during a win streak, but the team had to be perfect to get close to one.  Had the GM not left, there are chances it would be the same direction as before.  I can only blame Sutter for the coaching and AHL player usage.  Not that I think we suck, just that we make the same rades and signings every year.  There may be good reason for it all, but I would like to see something fresh.

I hear alot about how we had problems scoring but I have seen many games where we out shot our opponents by 40 shots or better and still lost I don't believe that we coul;dn't score I believe the goalies we have couldn't shut the door> Perhaps we should have put up a goal or 2 more but how is it we put up 40 shots and can't get the goals I just can't see the scoring being the problem were the shots on goal that crappy that we couldn't put it together?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zima said:

I hear alot about how we had problems scoring but I have seen many games where we out shot our opponents by 40 shots or better and still lost I don't believe that we coul;dn't score I believe the goalies we have couldn't shut the door> Perhaps we should have put up a goal or 2 more but how is it we put up 40 shots and can't get the goals I just can't see the scoring being the problem were the shots on goal that crappy that we couldn't put it together?  

to me it depends on the quality of shots.  I think you can have 40 shots from the blue line and it would still show as 40 shots. I, myself, really don't like shot total as a barometer or a representation of how the team is playing. Heck, I don't even like possession stats, because I don't think having a lot of shots or just having the puck means a lot. It's where the puck goes that is most important. 

• Like 1

I watch a ton of those games I have an android box and to me a lot of those shots were of the dangerous type IMO not just shots from the line this team was bussing and put these teams to sham had a ton of time in there zone again perhaps rose colored glasses

3 hours ago, zima said:

I think the better numbers to look at are shots vs goals for and shots against vs goals allowed (per game).  The Flames were 2 OA in shots for but 19th in goals.  Shots against they were 3rd and 13th for GA.  Collectively the team was slightly in the top half defensively but as for goals they were almost in the bottom third.  High volume/ low chance shots only make opposing goalies look good, even the 2nd or 3rd string ones.

7 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Had we not fired Sutter, there would be nothing to cheer for.  I mean the usual cheering during a win streak, but the team had to be perfect to get close to one.  Had the GM not left, there are chances it would be the same direction as before.  I can only blame Sutter for the coaching and AHL player usage.  Not that I think we suck, just that we make the same rades and signings every year.  There may be good reason for it all, but I would like to see something fresh.

I'm tired of dreaming for something fresh. I wanted a cup. 

4 hours ago, zima said:

Exact. 

... and I don't go for that low quality scoring chances crap either; if they were hitting the pipes they were high quality scoring chances. 

49 minutes ago, zima said:

I watch a ton of those games I have an android box and to me a lot of those shots were of the dangerous type IMO not just shots from the line this team was bussing and put these teams to sham had a ton of time in there zone again perhaps rose colored glasses

I am with you with that observation. I hate the knee jerk bail job that happened, but now we will never know. Calgary Flames decision making pixxes me off. 

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

to me it depends on the quality of shots.  I think you can have 40 shots from the blue line and it would still show as 40 shots. I, myself, really don't like shot total as a barometer or a representation of how the team is playing. Heck, I don't even like possession stats, because I don't think having a lot of shots or just having the puck means a lot. It's where the puck goes that is most important. 

I didn't agree with this narrative the entire season... that we had high shot volume and low quality chances.  We played the same way from 2021/22 to 22/23.  Main difference was Gaudreau - Lindholm - Tkachuk was the best #1 line in hockey and as a result, the Flames were among the top scoring teams in the NHL.  Same high shot volume.  Same style of game.

And so, the new guys who came in... Huberdeau and Kadri are clearly not a snipers.  Career 25-to-30 goal guys.  Toffoli had an up year which was canceled by Mangiapane with a down year.

What I'm trying to say is, it's not the system's fault.  We simply didn't have 1st line star players in 2022/23 to get the job done like we did in 2021/22.  We don't have snipers.  Don't have finishing talent.  This team isn't good enough.  This roster needs a complete flush and rebuild.

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I didn't agree with this narrative the entire season... that we had high shot volume and low quality chances.  We played the same way from 2021/22 to 22/23.  Main difference was Gaudreau - Lindholm - Tkachuk was the best #1 line in hockey and as a result, the Flames were among the top scoring teams in the NHL.  Same high shot volume.  Same style of game.

And so, the new guys who came in... Huberdeau and Kadri are clearly not a snipers.  Career 25-to-30 goal guys.  Toffoli had an up year which was canceled by Mangiapane with a down year.

What I'm trying to say is, it's not the system's fault.  We simply didn't have 1st line star players in 2022/23 to get the job done like we did in 2021/22.  We don't have snipers.  Don't have finishing talent.  This team isn't good enough.  This roster needs a complete flush and rebuild.

They've been flushing the flames too much for 30 years. Didn't even give Jagr a decent whack at it. Anyway, it's done and we'll see what fantastic moves they will make now. 

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

thing is, I didn't like the way they played then either. If found it exactly like I said, but like you say, despite the quality they still scored. And it is me who is saying despite the quality. I think the reason dallas went to seven was the fact we had almost nothing inside. No one could get to the middle and felt that was similar all year, and how it went this year too. You're right, I don't think much changed, other than having a number one line. 

to me, without the number one line this was what you get. I thought they could make up for it with Huberdeau, because I saw what he could do with Florida. Much different on a different team and system. 

the BT iterations of the flames never get to the middle. Monahan was one of the only ones who could and once broken he couldn't do anything else.. 

for whatever reason they don't utilize Lindholm for that when his shot is just as good as Monahan's. 

40 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

thing is, I didn't like the way they played then either. If found it exactly like I said, but like you say, despite the quality they still scored. And it is me who is saying despite the quality. I think the reason dallas went to seven was the fact we had almost nothing inside. No one could get to the middle and felt that was similar all year, and how it went this year too. You're right, I don't think much changed, other than having a number one line. 

to me, without the number one line this was what you get. I thought they could make up for it with Huberdeau, because I saw what he could do with Florida. Much different on a different team and system. 

the BT iterations of the flames never get to the middle. Monahan was one of the only ones who could and once broken he couldn't do anything else.. 

for whatever reason they don't utilize Lindholm for that when his shot is just as good as Monahan's. 

Pretty much all systems don't work when the team doesn't have a true #1 line.  So it kind of doesn't matter if we played another system.  In terms of getting in close, Tkachuk was the best in the business.  Very difficult to replace that.  It's hard to say if the Flames failed to get inside because of the system or because of no talent.  For sure we can all see we have no big skilled players to establish themselves inside and be a threat.  So, i'm just saying, we don't have those players.  At least, not enough of them consistently.  

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Pretty much all systems don't work when the team doesn't have a true #1 line.  So it kind of doesn't matter if we played another system.  In terms of getting in close, Tkachuk was the best in the business.  Very difficult to replace that.  It's hard to say if the Flames failed to get inside because of the system or because of no talent.  For sure we can all see we have no big skilled players to establish themselves inside and be a threat.  So, i'm just saying, we don't have those players.  At least, not enough of them consistently.  

Frustrating isn't it. 

I think players need to be able to play with anybody on any line. What are they, a bunch of babies. Hap fantazee... be creative

8 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Tkachuk would be hard to replace, had we traded him with adequate time before his contract expired.

When you let that kind of talent walk out the door though just prior to losing his rights, yeah it is basically impossible.  

How is this relevant to the goalie thread?   Well, it's not.  lol.  

Unless the Flames do the same thing with Wolf.   Then it will be.