s4xon

I actually have liked what I have seen with Berra. He let in a bad one in the Scrimmage where he failed to hug the post. But in general he has been pretty solid.

I felt he got very lucky yesterday. There were 3 or 4 times he got out of place on a rebound and the player just missed the net. Im not saying he has Ben awful I just think he is more of a project at this point than someone ready to play in the NHL. I also didn't think the Granlund goal was particularity great.

I felt he got very lucky yesterday. There were 3 or 4 times he got out of place on a rebound and the player just missed the net. Im not saying he has Ben awful I just think he is more of a project at this point than someone ready to play in the NHL. I also didn't think the Granlund goal was particularity great.

That was his first scrimmage on NA ice though.  No surprise he is struggling with his angles.  The rest of his game looked decent.  Jury is still out IMO.  

That was his first scrimmage on NA ice though.  No surprise he is struggling with his angles.  The rest of his game looked decent.  Jury is still out IMO.  

And that's all I'm saying. Posting thought on how someone plays in a game doesn't mean in saying that's who he is. I just think he is more of a project and probably needs sone seasoning in the A rather tan someone who is going to step in right away and play.

And that's all I'm saying. Posting thought on how someone plays in a game doesn't mean in saying that's who he is. I just think he is more of a project and probably needs sone seasoning in the A rather tan someone who is going to step in right away and play.

I understand that.  It will be interesting to see how he develops.  Some goalies pick it up right away.  Some take time.  

If I had to guess right now I would say it is MacDonald/Ramo in the NHL, Berra/Ortio in the AHL, and Brossoit in the ECHL.  That said I wouldn't be surprised to see Berra make the NHL or Brossoit make the AHL.  

A tad bit premature?  Are you just trolling now?  

The only reason it's premature is because there's so many goalies it's hard to give them all a proper valuation.

Which, btw, is vindication in itself.  It's becoming obvious that something will have to give.

Random thoughts

If Kipper decides to return and play another year, it would certainly put a wrench into the whole group of goaltenders, we have assembled for moving forward. At least that is how it looks to me if this post and projection hold true. Kipper could fit nicely as a mentor though in a greatly reduced role, while we struggle to find our next #1 "Kipper replacement".

I don't think it's going to happen. I had a Finnish friend summarize this link for me: http://yle.fi/urheilu/miikka_kiprusoff_mtv3lle_ei_mitaan_aikomusta_pelata_ensi_kaudella/6732115

According to her it said this: "No intention to play next season. He still has his contract with the Flames. He will stay in Canada with his family."

I guess we wait until Kipper makes an official announcement but I wouldn't count on him returning.

I don't think it's going to happen. I had a Finnish friend summarize this link for me: http://yle.fi/urheilu/miikka_kiprusoff_mtv3lle_ei_mitaan_aikomusta_pelata_ensi_kaudella/6732115

According to her it said this: "No intention to play next season. He still has his contract with the Flames. He will stay in Canada with his family."

I guess we wait until Kipper makes an official announcement but I wouldn't count on him returning.

Thanks for the clarification.

I suspect that Feaster really knows this but couldn't say anything else but "we are hoping he returns".

It could turn out badly if a team in a similar situation didn't say they expect or hope their players to fulfill their contracts for the full duration. You look at the Tim Thomas situation where Boston ended up suspending him and then trading away his rights which shows there are various ways these things can be handled.

At this point I would be surprised if we dont see Berra, Ramo and Mac in the NHL to start. I think eventually Mac will be traded to another team. His signing was always for insurance moreso then anything else. Edmonton and Vancouver come immediately to mind as teams needing a quality backup.

I wonder if Calgary is sitting on the retirement announcement to keep his contract on the books for cap flexibility. If they trade a couple of big cap hits like Cammalleri and Giordano for example and Kipper's contract is off the books then they fall under the cap floor. But if you keep his contract on the books like the Islanders did with Thomas last year, then you can move guys like Cammalleri and not have to worry about the contract coming back.

I'd like to see Berra on the Heat next year.  Let him get used to playing on the smaller ice along with seeing how much faster the game is at this level.  He's going to have to deal with players battling for space in front of him too.  If the kid is really committed to the NHL as he says he is, a year in Abby will do him good.

I don't think we'll see Kipper back, but that's just my guess.

I would be happy this season with a tandem of Ramo and MacDonald though its not the most ideal situation.  MacDonald should help mentor Ramo and come in to bail him out should he have a rough start.

Our depth at the G position is in excellent shape....chaotic.....but an excellent problem to have.  Have we seen the last of the Irving experiment?

Irving is gone no doubt and so is Kipper. 

1. @RogMillions Ahhh I get ya & agree on opportunities for those listed. Are the #Flames hoping Kipper changes his mind or is he done for sure?

2. @TonyAshbee I know he is done.

1:48 PM - 9 Jul 13 · Details

• 2 weeks later...

Our depth at the G position is in excellent shape....chaotic.....but an excellent problem to have.  Have we seen the last of the Irving experiment?

Irving is a mystery to me.  Not sure what happened.  But yeah, probably the last of that.

I'm fine with Ramo and Mac starting the season.   I'm not sure Ramo will last, and that's okay.

Reto is not a prospect, and thus I don't believe he should take up space in the AHL.  He should either get an NHL position or go back to Europe.  He'll be 27 this season.

Ortio is an actual young prospect.   If he makes the AHL, he should be their guy down there and work on adjusting to North American hockey.  I think he has it in him.

Irving is a mystery to me.  Not sure what happened.  But yeah, probably the last of that.

I'm fine with Ramo and Mac starting the season.   I'm not sure Ramo will last, and that's okay.

Reto is not a prospect, and thus I don't believe he should take up space in the AHL.  He should either get an NHL position or go back to Europe.  He'll be 27 this season.

Ortio is an actual young prospect.   If he makes the AHL, he should be their guy down there and work on adjusting to North American hockey.  I think he has it in him.

Trouble is if Berra is not quite ready for the NHL sending him back overseas isn't going to do anything to prepare him for the NHL, the ice size or the type of play the NHL offers. AHL is totally the best place for him to gain that experience and get him prepared.

AHL isn't for prospects only. It is a filter down league designed for any age Entry Level players too.

The next question would be....of course....why they would pick up a 26 year old goalie not ready for the NHL yet.

But that aside....maybe they'll have to loan him to another AHL club if his future is in North America.

Even with this, there will be Multiple goalies battling it out for a spot on the Heat.

The next question would be....of course....why they would pick up a 26 year old goalie not ready for the NHL yet.

But that aside....maybe they'll have to loan him to another AHL club if his future is in North America.

Even with this, there will be Multiple goalies battling it out for a spot on the Heat.

Easy, he's "the other best goaltender not in the NHL."

• Like 1

Keep in mind the Flames traded for him before Ramo was signed and about the time Kipper was making all the "I won't report to another team if you trade me" type statements. This signing is more of a covering all my bases type thing, I think.

What if Ramo had decided to stay in KHL? Without Berra here too, that would put a totally different light on our goaltending. At least this way we get some stiff competition for the starting job.

But you were all on board with calling Danny Taylor a prospect and he's almost a full year older than Berra.

Most goalies aren't ready for full time NHL duty till they are 26 or 27.

Look at what Anaheim did last year with Viktor Fasth, he played a few games in the AHL last year then came up and player very well and he's 30. 

Danny Taylor was a free agent signing that cost us nothing other than the contract.

Berra was part of a package deal involving J-Bo.

Berra was, as described above, really a panic-based acquisition.

I have a fundamental problem with panic-based acquisitions being involved with one of our most major core player trades.

The message was the same for Taylor as it was for Berra, though.  At that age, NHL or bust (Europe).  I didn't say Taylor would be an NHL star, I just said that the Flames should give him the opportunity.  In hindsight, it wouldn't have hurt anything.  At very worst, we would have drafted top 5.  Viktor Fasth was okay at the NHL level, but he only played 3 games in the AHL.  He basically came straight over from Europe.  If Berra can't do that, at his age, he should go back to Europe imho.  If we send him to the AHL fine, but we should loan him to a different team so we can develop our younger prospects.

Normally I am not a big fan of the 'throw a bunch of stuff at the wall and hope something sticks' strategy.  But goalies are unpredictable enough that it makes sense to add a few bullets to the gun.  

The Flames don't have a good option for an NHL starting goalie.  Relying on Ramo is too many eggs in too small of a basket.  Berra gives them another option and there isn't anything wrong with that.  

It isn't like we gave up the farm for him.  He was an add on that came with a 1st round pick and Cundari.  

Taylor wasn't an option for the NHL.  It wasn't just Calgary that didn't want him. He is signed in the KHL now.  

I would have prefer a mid 20's proven NHL starter with elite upside.  But that isn't in the card.  So muck on the wall it is.  

Normally I am not a big fan of the 'throw a bunch of stuff at the wall and hope something sticks' strategy.  But goalies are unpredictable enough that it makes sense to add a few bullets to the gun.  

The Flames don't have a good option for an NHL starting goalie.  Relying on Ramo is too many eggs in too small of a basket.  Berra gives them another option and there isn't anything wrong with that.  

It isn't like we gave up the farm for him.  He was an add on that came with a 1st round pick and Cundari.  

Taylor wasn't an option for the NHL.  It wasn't just Calgary that didn't want him. He is signed in the KHL now.  

I would have prefer a mid 20's proven NHL starter with elite upside.  But that isn't in the card.  So muck on the wall it is.  

At this present time, and the current rebuild situation, the current goaltending cards are the perfect opportunity to show your hand and earn the top 3 pick at the draft for the next couple seasons and reap the jackpot of some top talent.  Am I suggesting the Flames are tanking for top talent?  No, but the current goaltending roster options certainly parallel that mindset. 

Ramo will come out and play his bag off, so will Mac and so will Berra, no doubt about it.  But when it gets to the point where dissappointment sets in, we'll see who emerges as a leader between the pipes. 

For all we know, Ramo could very well be the next Kipper, on the other hand, he could be headed back to the KHL in as early as a year.

At this present time, and the current rebuild situation, the current goaltending cards are the perfect opportunity to show your hand and earn the top 3 pick at the draft for the next couple seasons and reap the jackpot of some top talent.  Am I suggesting the Flames are tanking for top talent?  No, but the current goaltending roster options certainly parallel that mindset. 

Ramo will come out and play his bag off, so will Mac and so will Berra, no doubt about it.  But when it gets to the point where dissappointment sets in, we'll see who emerges as a leader between the pipes. 

For all we know, Ramo could very well be the next Kipper, on the other hand, he could be headed back to the KHL in as early as a year.

Well they gave Ramo a 2 year roster contract so unlikely he would head back next year. Berra was only given an EL contract and 1 year.

Well they gave Ramo a 2 year roster contract so unlikely he would head back next year. Berra was only given an EL contract and 1 year.

Yeah, I'm referring to the possibility that Ramo implodes and runs back to the KHL after 1 season, the same as Cervenka.  I'm sure the Flames wouldn't be opposed to him forfitting the last year of his contract if this were the case.  I'm sure that is the reasoning for a 2 year deal. 

I'm in the hopefuls camp that he solidifies himself as the Flames starter for the next while and is someone reliable between the pipes until the Gilles/Brossoit duo can step in.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, the writing was certainly on the wall for Irving.  I guess I would have liked to have seen the Flames put him in as the starter in Abbottsford last year come hell or high water.  He floundered early and was never really given an opportunity afterwards.  Some of that is on him and some is that Taylor played really well.  Even so, is the Flames development system is actually going to be about developing players for Calgary rather than winning games in Abbotsford, I think they should have played him more.

However, he is young, relatively healthy, skilled, hs good size and a decent personality/attitude.  A couple years overseas seeing a lot of pucks could help his development and confidence a great deal.

One of the lessons to be learned here is thus:  DON'T DRAFT A GOALIE IN THE FIRST ROUND!