s4xon

I do worry that Feaster is more interested in making his trades look good than doing what's best for the team. I'll be pretty surprised if Berra turns out to even be a backup.

But hey, isn't he touted as another "best player outside the NHL?"  :lol:

Trust me on this, I'm a big fan of Swiss hockey and follow it closely. Conz is a better goalie than Berra, and I think Conz is a marginal NHL backup at best. Berra isn't even close to the best Swiss league goalie (he had a pretty good season last year, but less so this year), let alone a best outside of the NHL type prospect.

Ramo is a better prospect and I think Ramo's value is near a conditional 7th rounder at best.

And like I said I don't know until I see Berra play. If Conz is better well that sucks becuase i'm not a Conz fan but all i'm saying is i'm willing to see what Berra can do before I dismiss him soley based on stats that all

• Like 1

I don't know much about Berra so this isn't in resonse to him but Conz is not an NHL goaltender I would be very upset if the Flames signed him. I remember watching him in the World juniors and thinking overrated. Yes he faced alot of shots but the quality of his saves was average and his athletic ability is average as well. Good media story but not a good prospect and there is a very good reason he got passed over in TWO entry drafts and still remainds unsigned depsite being named top goaltender. He would have had to improve leaps and bounds from where he was then for me to want to sign him.

And being compared once by Pierre Mcquire and Gord Miller does not constitute "often" being compared to Jiggy.

You've seen my prospect posts Cross....if I can't find something to be hopeful about....look out.

I was challenged in a similar way with Ramo.   People claimed that things like GAA and Save percentage didn't matter, and that I hadn't seen him.  

Well, I posted videos of Ramo.   That Really didn't help things.  People just became unreasonable.

Not having learned from that experience, I'll provide some "Berra Highlights" against a relatively unimpressive team.

For the record, I don't "hate" Ramo and I don't "hate" Berra, and I wish them the best in life.  They're just not NHL goaltenders at all, in any way, shape or form.  Period.  They never will be.  Ever.  They'll make Cervenka look like a fantastic idea.  

I am not convinced that they're AHL goaltenders.  I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

And about GAA and Save percentage:  You may not have both, but you gotta have one.  At least, at the level of Swiss pro hockey.  Yes, it matters.  I know stats can be misleading, but:  Stopping pucks is kind of an important aspect of goaltending.  

If you can't stay above .900 save percentage against Swiss offense, don't expect the level of difficulty to decrease in the NHL.  Straight up.

I do worry that Feaster is more interested in making his trades look good than doing what's best for the team. I'll be pretty surprised if Berra turns out to even be a backup.

But hey, isn't he touted as another "best player outside the NHL?"  :lol:

Trust me on this, I'm a big fan of Swiss hockey and follow it closely. Conz is a better goalie than Berra, and I think Conz is a marginal NHL backup at best. Berra isn't even close to the best Swiss league goalie (he had a pretty good season last year, but less so this year), let alone a best outside of the NHL type prospect.

Ramo is a better prospect and I think Ramo's value is near a conditional 7th rounder at best.

Every 1000, or 2000 posts geo, we completely agree on something.  I....think it might be this one!   Feels so uncomfortable though...I think I'm going to disagree and value Ramo as a 6th round prospect :)

Exactly. I don't think our scouts would have screwed up that bad...

Woah.......Really?     I don't even know where to start.  Probably with Hartley.  I think this was actually his baby, despite what Feaster is saying.  But even our scouts could Easily screw up this bad.  And typically do.  We've been getting better at the draft, but still just Brutal in general trade evaluations.

Feaster said that half of them liked Berra and the other half liked Ramo

Hartley.

Also, in another thread a person who follows the team that Berra plays for commented saying we are getting a really good goalie in him, and that his stats are misleading as he has been the best player on the team by far and the ONLY reason that the team was ever able to make the playoffs.

Somebody always says that.   I could find you a fan that would tell you McGratton's offensive talents are underutilized.

Don't be so quick to shi*t on a guy just from his stats,

I've got nothing against this guy.  Probably a fantastic dude.   Just not an NHL goalie.

especially a goaltender. Example? Reinhart. He was a MINUS 26 with the heat this season, yet he has not looked out of place here and I have actually really liked what he has done, and he isn't even a goalie :P

what?  lol....  

I would think(and could be thinking wrong) that Hartley had the opportunity to see both these goaltenders play. I would assume with the Swiss League connection(ZSC Lions), that someone might have asked him his thoughts on at least Berra. Apparently Feaster and Hartley talk daily.

Feaster and Co. did exactly what we wanted...signed a capable, decent backup goalie for next season.  Can't complain with the $$$ or the term, either.

This was a move in the best interest of the team going forward.  I have to say Feaster hasn't been sitting idlie by since the trade deadline, good to see he's been keeping busy.  Extremely busy.

Glad to have big Mac back.  Plus...what a waste of money on a new maskif they didn't sign him again. :blink:

Woah.......Really?     I don't even know where to start.  Probably with Hartley.  I think this was actually his baby, despite what Feaster is saying.  But even our scouts could Easily screw up this bad.  And typically do.  We've been getting better at the draft, but still just Brutal in general trade evaluations.

You don't know that it was "his baby". Purely conjecture. Im sure Feaster asked him about Berra, as Hartley would have some knowledge on the topic, but there is NO way that we would trade for him if our scouts didn't feel strongly about him - which they do. Now, I agree. I personally have not liked the trades the flames have swung lately, or for a while. All im saying is that you shouldn't discount a guy without even seeing him play. Gotta give the guy a chance to prove his worth (in my opinion at least).

Somebody always says that.   I could find you a fan that would tell you McGratton's offensive talents are underutilized.

Well... obviously they are being underutilized... Didn't you see that goal last night?

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong...   I did not mean that it changed the picture in a bad way...

I would have to guess that even for the Flames organization it is unknown if Kipper will return at this time...   I don't see him leaving it much past mid June hopefully at the latest until he makes his decision known...   I just can't see him hanging the team out to dry by announcing his retirement in late summer if he does decide too retire...    I am also hoping that they sign Kipper to a one year extension for a decent enough dollar so it makes it more enticing for him to continue...

I do not think Joey Mac would be a good choice for a number one, but is the best option for a backup that we have at the moment and I am glad that he is signed on a contract that makes sense...   Mac can make some great saves, but it seems to me that sometimes he also gets over confident and does things like unnecessarily coming out too far to challenge a shooter, and he got burned for a couple of goals doing just that recently...

By changing the picture I meant more that it's good to see that they are not going to rely on one or more of our "unknown factors" for the role that have already been signed at this point...

If Kipper retires, unless one of our "unknown factor" goaltenders can really step up and steal the show (and I wouldn't bet the farm on it at this point),  the Flames could really be in trouble unless they can pull of a trade for a proven tender somehow without sacrificing too much, and I don't see that as being likely either...

I'm not sold on the Flames goaltending plan, but one positive I do see with it is that they arn't committing to it long term. They try it next year and if it doesn't work 2014 actually has some pretty good potential UFAs:

Lundqvist (probably won't make it there)

Ryan Miller

JOnas Hiller

Halak

Dubynyk

Crawford

Elliot

Not to mention anyone else who could develop in that time. The goalie market has been very strong over the last several years so as long as the Flames don't commit to this long term if Berra/Ramo don't work out it's not like they can quickly change gears. Also with the depth they should add in with thie draft combined with other draft efforts they should have enough depth to be more aggressive in trades.

Again not saying it's the best plan but there are some positive to it.

I'm not sold on the Flames goaltending plan, but one positive I do see with it is that they arn't committing to it long term. They try it next year and if it doesn't work 2014 actually has some pretty good potential UFAs:

Lundqvist (probably won't make it there)

Ryan Miller

JOnas Hiller

Halak

Dubynyk

Crawford

Elliot

Not to mention anyone else who could develop in that time. The goalie market has been very strong over the last several years so as long as the Flames don't commit to this long term if Berra/Ramo don't work out it's not like they can quickly change gears. Also with the depth they should add in with thie draft combined with other draft efforts they should have enough depth to be more aggressive in trades.

Again not saying it's the best plan but there are some positive to it.

I doubt that many of those make it to free agency tbh. But i get your point... if the "foreign" goalie route doesn't work out, then we do have options... especially with all the cap space we have now. I just don't want Feaster going and pulling a philly with bryzgalov...

• 4 weeks later...

I wish Danny all the best, but he was able to read the cards (signing Bera, soon to be signing Ramo) and he knew that the chance of him playing significant minutes for the Flames was very very low.

Good luck in Sweden.

I think that Berra could be a big surprise for the flames. Have you seen him at the World Cup??? :o

Berra in a tandem with Mac could be a good option!! Berra is the best goalie in Switzerland, at the moment. Conz is also good but he has not the size of a potential NHL goalie. The difference in their stats said not to much about their qualities. Berra plays in Biel, one of the teams that are normaly at the bottom and Conz plays in Fribourg the playoff finalist this year.

So i would give him a chance and maybe he is the flames future goaltender, we have not so much to lose, we have Mac too, so try!! B)

• Like 1

I think that Berra could be a big surprise for the flames. Have you seen him at the World Cup??? :o

Berra in a tandem with Mac could be a good option!! Berra is the best goalie in Switzerland, at the moment. Conz is also good but he has not the size of a potential NHL goalie. The difference in their stats said not to much about their qualities. Berra plays in Biel, one of the teams that are normaly at the bottom and Conz plays in Fribourg the playoff finalist this year.

So i would give him a chance and maybe he is the flames future goaltender, we have not so much to lose, we have Mac too, so try!! B)

The plan is likely to give the top ranked 'tenders in the system a good look in camp & the exhibition games with MacDonald getting little play to see which emerges. If 1 runs with the opportunity he could earn a starting job as MacDonald seems there for more of a safety net.

If Kipper does decide to play out the last year of his contract as a Flame it would depend on his play as far as the # of starts goes. Even if he plays locked door style I figure the 1 that stepped up in camp/exhibition would be the designated door opener with Joey in reserve in Abby.

After all, the aim of being a sports team is to be as competitive as possible. :)

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.truehockey.com/articles/Lehtera-Chooses-KHL-Over-NHL-Will-Stay-in-RussiaPlus-Calgary-Signs-Goalie

Not sure how legit of a source this is, but seeing as nothing can be official until July 5th anyways....I'll take it.

Seems the Flames brass have agreed to terms with Ramo on a multi-year deal.  No details on the amount or duration.  Let the fight for the crease commence:  MacDonald, Berra, Ramo, Kipper(likely retiring, but still undecided).

http://www.truehockey.com/articles/Lehtera-Chooses-KHL-Over-NHL-Will-Stay-in-RussiaPlus-Calgary-Signs-Goalie

Not sure how legit of a source this is, but seeing as nothing can be official until July 5th anyways....I'll take it.

Seems the Flames brass have agreed to terms with Ramo on a multi-year deal.  No details on the amount or duration.  Let the fight for the crease commence:  MacDonald, Berra, Ramo, Kipper(likely retiring, but still undecided).

Strickland is pretty reliable.  Plus a lot of other people are reporting on this as well (mostly due to Strickland breaking it, but still).  Sounds like a done deal to me.