s4xon

Strickland is pretty reliable.  Plus a lot of other people are reporting on this as well (mostly due to Strickland breaking it, but still).  Sounds like a done deal to me.  

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/hockey/calgary-flames/Report+Flames+sign+Karri+Ramo+adding/8484536/story.html

There's a source worthy of some trust. :lol: Much better.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hopefully no longer than 2 years.  This team can't afford any more contracts that will bend the Franchise over in case of failure to produce (ala Stajan, Babchuk, Kotalik, etc.)  And if there is an NTC or a NMC involved, I will seriously throw some sh*t.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/hockey/calgary-flames/Report+Flames+sign+Karri+Ramo+adding/8484536/story.html

There's a source worthy of some trust. :lol: Much better.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hopefully no longer than 2 years.  This team can't afford any more contracts that will bend the Franchise over in case of failure to produce (ala Stajan, Babchuk, Kotalik, etc.)  And if there is an NTC or a NMC involved, I will seriously throw some sh*t.

http://www.truehockey.com/articles/Lehtera-Chooses-KHL-Over-NHL-Will-Stay-in-RussiaPlus-Calgary-Signs-Goalie

This link suggests it is a multi-year deal. Hopefully his strong reputation in the KHL should give both sides an out if it all goes belly up!

• 3 weeks later...

Announcements of Ramo's contract and terms should be coming up.  What are your contract predictions?

My guess is 3 mil for 2 years.  It may seem high, but the Flames had to rip him away from the KHL. 

Announcements of Ramo's contract and terms should be coming up.  What are your contract predictions?

My guess is 3 mil for 2 years.  It may seem high, but the Flames had to rip him away from the KHL. 

Not long enough term or enough cash. Hes making good coin in Russa. Im guessing 4 years at 4mil per.

If they pay him anymore than about 2 million Feaster should be canned ASAP. I don't care what he was making in Russia this is an opportunity to play in the NHL and that means sacrifice. I'm think 2 years at 2mill or less per.

If they pay him anymore than about 2 million Feaster should be canned ASAP. I don't care what he was making in Russia this is an opportunity to play in the NHL and that means sacrifice. I'm think 2 years at 2mill or less per.

You just know that Ramo is going to get around the $3 mill a year mark. I have a feeling it may even be a half a mill more then that....

I'd like to see them all signed at 1.5-2 for a season and let them battle for a payday, but that will never happen!

Yes in total agreement with this.  Let's remember Ramo's last stint in the NHL, it wasn't pretty.  Anything more than 2m per and I will be calling for Feaster's head and I'm one of his supporters right now.  As it stands I'm more excited about Berra than Ramo just because of his past history.  Its going to be an interesting training camp and pre-season between the pipes to say the least.

As much as I agree that Ramo has allot to prove on this side of the Atlantic, I really wish people would drop his last stint in the NHL, he was on a crap team with bad D and was still pretty young when he took the reigns, if a more mature and seasoned Ramo can't handle it then by all means throw him to the wolves....

As much as I agree that Ramo has allot to prove on this side of the Atlantic, I really wish people would drop his last stint in the NHL, he was on a crap team with bad D and was still pretty young when he took the reigns, if a more mature and seasoned Ramo can't handle it then by all means throw him to the wolves....

Unfortunately that's all we have to go on.  The game across the pond is a lot different than in the NHL.  The angles are different, there's not much crowding in the crease and so on.  I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt but in my estimation he has a lot to prove and paying him more than 2m per year on a multi-year contract is way too big of a risk.  All I can say is there better not be an NTC or NMC.

Ramo will be paid more then 2mil. Id be surprised if its just 3mil. The guy is making good coin in the KHL and Feaster will have to pay him to get him over here.

Feaster can't afford not to sign him unfortunately.  Another case of overselling (and possibly overpaying).  He will be eating a lot of crow if he doesn't bring him over.  So Ramo has some leverage.  He also isn't on an ELC so no restrictions apply.  

I still don't think it is impossible we can ink him to a 1 or 2 year deal at 2.5 million per.  That said, it won't shock me if it is 3M or so.   

Feaster can't afford not to sign him unfortunately.  Another case of overselling (and possibly overpaying).  He will be eating a lot of crow if he doesn't bring him over.  So Ramo has some leverage.  He also isn't on an ELC so no restrictions apply.  

I still don't think it is impossible we can ink him to a 1 or 2 year deal at 2.5 million per.  That said, it won't shock me if it is 3M or so.   

Its just a bitter pill to swallow to think that its all about the money.  I would think he would want to prove himself first before demanding high dollars when you don't really knowing what you're getting.  If he has a stellar year or two than he's in a position to hold the hammer, right now he's an unknown commodity in my opinion.

Its just a bitter pill to swallow to think that its all about the money.  I would think he would want to prove himself first before demanding high dollars when you don't really knowing what you're getting.  If he has a stellar year or two than he's in a position to hold the hammer, right now he's an unknown commodity in my opinion.

He might.  Which is why I don't think it is impossible he will sign for a lower figure.  I think it is a big assumption that he won't play in the NHL for less money then he is making in the KHL.  For all we know he is willing to take a large pay cut to play here. 

He might.  Which is why I don't think it is impossible he will sign for a lower figure.  I think it is a big assumption that he won't play in the NHL for less money then he is making in the KHL.  For all we know he is willing to take a large pay cut to play here. 

He may, but I am sticking to my guns on the 3 mil, 2 year deal.  I don't see the term being longer than 2 years, because the Flames don't want their hands tied in case of a failed attempt.  3 mil doesn't hurt the Flames' bottom line (although I think it would be too much at this point) but it's what I see makes sense.

I wonder if there would be an out clause in order for him to go back to the KHL if there were to be a mutual parting after a year.

What he is making in the KHL should not, IMO, impact what the flames offer. Cervenka was making far more in the k and he still came over for just over 1 mill. If he wants to be an NHL goalie then he needs to understand there are sarifices you need to make in order to do that and in no way should the flames reward his KHL play in his NHL contracts. So I will say again if Feaster is paying Ramo more than 2 million that is ridiculous because he doesn't deserve it and if Ramo had said that he needs X amount to come over I would have told him to go pound sand and get lost and the flames should have too. He shouldn't be one penny over 2 million in fact I was being generous with that 2 mill figure.

Cervenka was making far more in the k and he still came over for just over 1 mill. 

His salary was just under a million but with bonuses his cap hit was 3.775 million.

I don't think you'll see Ramo over here for anything less than a cap hit of 3 million per.  I'd love to see it end up at somewhere around 2 million, but I don't know if it will be enough.

He's on a "crap" team with bad D now too. Especially the bad D part.

I wonder if there would be an out clause in order for him to go back to the KHL if there were to be a mutual parting after a year.

I was thinking the same as I read this thread.

That would work out best for both parties if he can't transition to the NHL.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

3 months since this thread was started and we should probably open discussion again on our Goaltending Status:

Goaltenders

Cap Geek Listed as Roster Players:
Kiprusoff, Miikka
Ramo, Karri - 2.75m 2yrs UFA
MacDonald, Joey - .925m - UFA after next season.

Elementary Level Contracts:
Berra, Reto - 1.3m - RFA after next season.
Brossoit, Laurent - .925m - 3years RFA
Ortio, Joni - .812 - RFA after next season.

College - Non-Contract Players
Gilles, John - NCAA - Sophomore NCAA.

HF Boards Ratings of our prospects:

55f6661b5e48d7d105afb9b07919c724.png

I think from the contracts and terms of these signings we can deduct quite a bit about the Flames thinking and how the goaltender fits into their plans. Length of the contracts in particular say quite a bit on where each prospect fits.

If all you do is take a quick look at the whole group, you think there is a big pool of Goaltenders along with a large mix of prospects in various stages of development. You would be right in thinking this but it doesn't tell us much. So lets break it down in a bit more detail.

Who is going to be our goaltenders this coming season?

**Kiprusoff, Miikka
Ramo, Karri - 2.75m 2yrs UFA
MacDonald, Joey - .925m - UFA after next season.

**I would prefer to see Kipper return for 1 season if only to mentor our goaltenders who we decide to run with. I don't see it really happening however as anything Feaster has mentioned is always in the "It is Kippers decision to retire" line of thinking.

Karri Ramo - This signing indicates to me he was our "go to guy" all along. Past experience with Feaster, Including Ramo in a trade with Montreal for a reason and unless he falters badly is pencilled in as our #1 next year. 2 year term doesn't sell the farm and gives us time to properly find out if he is "the One".

Joey MacDonald - signed to only a 1 year contract indicates to me he is our insurance policy for next year. On a side note he is the only backup to actually gain the trust of the team. Good signing for the Flames in our present stage of development.

Are there any other considerations for this coming season? Yes but not really.

Reto Berra is a long shot. He has indicated he wants to compete for this spot, and has had a really good prospect camp. Meritocracy  won't be in play very much here. I just don't see him actually taking the #1 slot or backup position unless one or both Ramo and MacDonald stink it up in the preseason.

The rest of the bunch and the Heat:

Berra, Reto - 1.3m - RFA after next season.
Brossoit, Laurent - .925m - 3years RFA
Ortio, Joni - .812 - RFA after next season.

**Gilles, John - NCAA - Sophomore NCAA.

**John Gilles still has a couple more years in the NCAA. In my mind he projects to be our best goaltender and starter a few years down the road. He is already setting freshman records and progressing nicely with the US national programs.

This is where things get complicated. I'll rate(my opinion only) the remaining goaltenders to start:
Reto Berra
Laurent Brossoit
Joni Ortio

Reto Berra - I expect him to be our #1 Goaltender on the Heat next season. (see above note on Flames)

Laurent Brossoit - He has nothing left to prove in the WHL. He had a good-great year last year especially in the last half. The snub by the Canadian National team motivated him. I see him as the Heats backup next season with a lot of starts if Berra takes longer to adjust to the NA ice and game.

Joni Ortio - Interesting point Ortio phoned Feaster and was slightly pissed over the signings of Berra and Ramo. I am still not sure what to make of that since I heard it(broadcast of the prospects game). I guess we can take it he expects to be in the mix and wants the opportunity to compete.
I am not sure where to put Joni Ortio this coming season. It doesn't sound like he wants to play another year overseas and I suspect there is some lingering hesitation with the Flames after his 1st stop over here. If he plays well maybe they carry 3 goaltenders on the Heat to start the season, but I don't see that as an ideal situation for those 3.

Random thoughts

If Kipper decides to return and play another year, it would certainly put a wrench into the whole group of goaltenders, we have assembled for moving forward. At least that is how it looks to me if this post and projection hold true. Kipper could fit nicely as a mentor though in a greatly reduced role, while we struggle to find our next #1 "Kipper replacement".

I also don't think it's an awful thing for Brossoit to play in the ECHL either.

Personally I didn't walk away from camp that happy with Berra. I was expecting a more technically and fundamentally sound goalie and what I found was someone who I thought pulled himself ou of position making saves which made recovery difficult. He also let in two pretty weak goals in my opinion yesterday. Ortio had a pretty solid camp IMO but I think it comes down to training camp and wether or not Ortio has any interest in playing in the A. If he doesn't and would prefer to play pro in Finland it makes for an easier decision.

I also don't think it's an awful thing for Brossoit to play in the ECHL either.

Personally I didn't walk away from camp that happy with Berra. I was expecting a more technically and fundamentally sound goalie and what I found was someone who I thought pulled himself ou of position making saves which made recovery difficult. He also let in two pretty weak goals in my opinion yesterday. Ortio had a pretty solid camp IMO but I think it comes down to training camp and wether or not Ortio has any interest in playing in the A. If he doesn't and would prefer to play pro in Finland it makes for an easier decision.

I actually have liked what I have seen with Berra.  He let in a bad one in the Scrimmage where he failed to hug the post.  But in general he has been pretty solid.  

Sweet vindication.   Being wrong and having one of these goalies stand out would be better, though.

A tad bit premature?  Are you just trolling now?