s4xon

38 minutes ago, rickross said:

I’m just saying by Smith playing the puck or setting screens throughout the game it saves our D from taking hits deep in our zone from opposing forecheckers. It also creates chances off the rush...it’s a unique goalie skill exclusive to the Flames right now. I’m thinking he does more to prevent injury to our D men then any other goalie

IT WOULDN'T MATTER IF YOU MADE IT ALL BLOCK LETTERS AND BOLDED IT. SOME POSTERS DON'T WANT TO SEE IT, THEY HAVE A DIFFERENT BELIEF AND AGENDA. THE OTHER POSITIVE TO SMITTY'S GAME IS HOW HE NULIFIES THE OPOSITIONS DUMP-INS AND  FORECHECK WHILE SENDING US IN MOTION ON THE OFFENSE, OH AND HE STOPS PUCKS TOO.

Still 4 games left to decide, but I think Smitty has the edge for playoff starter.

18 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

IT WOULDN'T MATTER IF YOU MADE IT ALL BLOCK LETTERS AND BOLDED IT. SOME POSTERS DON'T WANT TO SEE IT, THEY HAVE A DIFFERENT BELIEF AND AGENDA. THE OTHER POSITIVE TO SMITTY'S GAME IS HOW HE NULIFIES THE OPOSITIONS DUMP-INS AND  FORECHECK WHILE SENDING US IN MOTION ON THE OFFENSE, OH AND HE STOPS PUCKS TOO.

Still 4 games left to decide, but I think Smitty has the edge for playoff starter.

Image result for beating a dead horse meme

45 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

Dude, wtf?

You just agreed with him while screaming in bold.

just sayin'

7 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Looks to be Smith getting the call tonight 

I think he has always been the team’s guy. 

I hope that it’s the right choice. 

Its hard to say. The pundits were saying Smith was playing well despite poor numbers but getting wins, and now that his numbers are better than Rittich’s they’re saying quoting the numbers to say he’s been better.

i am torn.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

Its hard to say. The pundits were saying Smith was playing well despite poor numbers but getting wins, and now that his numbers are better than Rittich’s they’re saying quoting the numbers to say he’s been better.

i am torn.

I will admit a prefer Rittich but at this point I don’t really care. Just win baby 

14 hours ago, rickross said:

I’m just saying by Smith playing the puck or setting screens throughout the game it saves our D from taking hits deep in our zone from opposing forecheckers. It also creates chances off the rush...it’s a unique goalie skill exclusive to the Flames right now. I’m thinking he does more to prevent injury to our D men then any other goalie

Ya, there could be something to it. 

I don’t mean to sound like I am shooting down your theory, I just look at the past few years and I look at other teams, we’ve been extremely lucky with injuries or very calculated with how we keep our players fit. You look at Anaheim for example, they have so many injuries. Could it be the extra travel they do too? 

Smith can be good with the puck, but also bad. It is better when you don’t notice it because a lot of us seem to see the mistakes because they’re so glaring. It’s probably the same with Brodie. 

Thing is, I think our D are good at curling away from hits or letting the other team get it on dump ins in order to check them and not get the hit. Or transition it out. 

Smith helps, it’s when it isn’t helpful that it’s a problem. I wouldn’t mind if he plays the puck, but just keep it simple. He’s too creative sometimes.

• Like 1

i am torn.

all things being equal as well, San Jose has never been Rittich's best opponent 

Ya, there could be something to it. 

I don’t mean to sound like I am shooting down your theory, I just look at the past few years and I look at other teams, we’ve been extremely lucky with injuries or very calculated with how we keep our players fit. You look at Anaheim for example, they have so many injuries. Could it be the extra travel they do too? 

Smith can be good with the puck, but also bad. It is better when you don’t notice it because a lot of us seem to see the mistakes because they’re so glaring. It’s probably the same with Brodie. 

Thing is, I think our D are good at curling away from hits or letting the other team get it on dump ins in order to check them and not get the hit. Or transition it out. 

Smith helps, it’s when it isn’t helpful that it’s a problem. I wouldn’t mind if he plays the puck, but just keep it simple. He’s too creative sometimes.

Smith can be frustrating! He’s either helping you out or hurting you with his stick handling. Most of the time he’s helping, but I agree he can try and do too much at times. We have mobile D men for sure but Smith does ease their burden of puck retrieval in your own zone. 

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

i am torn.

I can live with the player versus player comps.

Wins.  SA%, GAA, trending, tendencies, etc.

I get annoyed with the pundits that spout how much better the team plays in front of Smith.

How his handling the puck saves wear and tear on the D.

How his playing every puck that comes near him disrupts the other team.

Lets be real here.

Smith is 3-4 in his last 7.  One game against a playoff team, and that was a loss.

Rittich is 4-3.  Five games against playoff teams, all three losses to playoff teams.

Is that really impressive?  

Seems to me they might be giving Rittich a break before the final few games and get him ready to start the playoffs.

Playoffs start April 11th so I would suspect that whoever starts game #81 is likely the starter. 

38 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I can live with the player versus player comps.

Wins.  SA%, GAA, trending, tendencies, etc.

I get annoyed with the pundits that spout how much better the team plays in front of Smith.

How his handling the puck saves wear and tear on the D.

How his playing every puck that comes near him disrupts the other team.

Lets be real here.

Smith is 3-4 in his last 7.  One game against a playoff team, and that was a loss.

Rittich is 4-3.  Five games against playoff teams, all three losses to playoff teams.

Is that really impressive?  

Seems to me they might be giving Rittich a break before the final few games and get him ready to start the playoffs.

Playoffs start April 11th so I would suspect that whoever starts game #81 is likely the starter. 

I think it's too bad that Rittich let in a bunch of last minute meaningless goals while the other team's nets were empty back a few months ago. We scored the empty netter, then the team and he stops playing then he let in that final goal to then have 3 goals against per game in around 2 or 3 starts in a row. He looked great at times, but then let in those goals and it doesn't tell the story of those games. It then looks like he let in 3 goals when he really should have only let in 2. Albeit, it is on him to play whistle to whistle, horn to horn. 

Don't get me wrong, I like how Smith has been playing for the most part. He hasn't had to be great, but he's been good. If we could get good goaltending from both, I have a feeling we could go far. 

I hope that Monahan breaking out last game is a sign of things to come for him and the team. Both goalies can be playing good, but if we can't get the scoring to get past league average goaltending, then we could be screwed. 

I think we can. Hope Bennett isn't too injured as we could use his tenacity in the playoffs. Wear them down and get the goaltending.

Personally having Smith in net tonight is THE test going into the playoffs. I think this will be make or break game for playoff consideration. He's been given the soft games and performed favorably, now lets see how he does facing a higher caliber offense. If he still looks good then that only helps the team, if he flounders then that answers alot of questions going forward.

16 hours ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Personally having Smith in net tonight is THE test going into the playoffs. I think this will be make or break game for playoff consideration. He's been given the soft games and performed favorably, now lets see how he does facing a higher caliber offense. If he still looks good then that only helps the team, if he flounders then that answers alot of questions going forward.

I don't think the game against the Sharks answered any questions.

Sharks were unlucky to score.

PP's were useless.

9 shots through 2 periods.

3 GA on 15 shots.

What have we learned?

I think we can win a series with either guy, but at this point, I have no idea who would be the better starter in Game 1.

Rittich is the better road goalie, but would you split the assignments that way?

9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

PP's were useless.

3 GA on 15 shots.

What have we learned?

I think we can win a series with either guy, but at this point, I have no idea who would be the better starter in Game 1.

Rittich is the better road goalie, but would you split the assignments that way?

I'm more concerned about our breakouts and lack of any consistency for a PP. All these lackadaisical  passes that creates our own havoc has to stop. Teams are going to bottle u the middle zone on us in the playoffs because it gives us our most trouble and turnovers.

1 minute ago, MAC331 said:

I'm more concerned about our breakouts and lack of any consistency for a PP. All these lackadaisical  passes that creates our own havoc has to stop. Teams are going to bottle u the middle zone on us in the playoffs because it gives us our most trouble and turnovers.

Last night a lot of Smith's plays ended up creating havoc, not in a good way.  Close to the same number that worked.

Teams will expose that if it stays the exact same.

My preference for the starter is athletic and focused.

Strong glove side.

Plays the puck but does not wander.

Short passes to the D.

29 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Last night a lot of Smith's plays ended up creating havoc, not in a good way.  Close to the same number that worked.

Teams will expose that if it stays the exact same.

My preference for the starter is athletic and focused.

Strong glove side.

Plays the puck but does not wander.

Short passes to the D.

LOL I think we all know your preference for Goalie. LOL

Our defense and I mean all of them have been playing real sloppy/risky hockey. This needs to improve.

PP as not been good and this drop back pass stuff will get killed in the playoffs, we need a way better forechecking game.

I think BP needs to tell both Goalies to tone down the wandering to play the puck, its why we have defensemen.

2 hours ago, MAC331 said:

I like our chances with Smith or Rittich.

The only thing that worries me in the playoffs now is giving up that first minute of the game goal. We have had the ability to comeback in games, but in the past the playoffs are a different beast altogether and the comebacks might be harder to come by. It would be interesting to see which of our goalies are prone to that? My bias is that it’s Smith, but I don’t have knowledge of how to look that up. 

Plus who is prone to last minute of the period goals. They’ve been something the team has seemed to have given up throughout the year as well. 

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

PP's were useless.

3 GA on 15 shots.

What have we learned?

Ya it wasn't really the test I was hoping for.

I don't recall any team doing that. Usually play the hot hand, swap out if needed.

I think the biggest takeaway is, as a team, we only gave up 15 shots,

It's one of those things. If you aren't scoring you can't hang your goalies for losses. When you are scoring, you have to keep a sound D element to the play.

Smith hasn't given up deflating goals lately, as long as the team can put some goals up, the rest seems to be looking after itself. Solid D, timely saves.

Rittich has cut the playing time in half, which is what we all wanted from the outset.

I don't think any of us wanted a 60-65 game Smith heading into the playoffs.

You don't win the WC regular season by luck. We've had a lot of things go right, sure there have been dips and curves.

That's just team-building stuff. I think everyone is playing for each other and there's accountability.

No one wants to let their teammates down, and when they do, their teammates are there to pick them up.

We may not have a Brodeur, Price or Roy in net, but you don't need that if you have a team that consistently wins more shifts then it loses.

12 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I think the biggest takeaway is, as a team, we only gave up 15 shots,

It's one of those things. If you aren't scoring you can't hang your goalies for losses. When you are scoring, you have to keep a sound D element to the play.

Smith hasn't given up deflating goals lately, as long as the team can put some goals up, the rest seems to be looking after itself. Solid D, timely saves.

Rittich has cut the playing time in half, which is what we all wanted from the outset.

I don't think any of us wanted a 60-65 game Smith heading into the playoffs.

You don't win the WC regular season by luck. We've had a lot of things go right, sure there have been dips and curves.

That's just team-building stuff. I think everyone is playing for each other and there's accountability.

No one wants to let their teammates down, and when they do, their teammates are there to pick them up.

We may not have a Brodeur, Price or Roy in net, but you don't need that if you have a team that consistently wins more shifts then it loses.

They do find ways to win and I do agree we have a group that plays for each other and that is very important. They need to clean up some areas of their game but who's not ready for the playoffs ? I know I am.

Well said.

Our biggest concern early was Smith playing 60 games going into playoffs and getting hurt.

Now it's which goalie is going to be the best for the SC Playoffs.

WEST

Vegas has to pin their hopes on MAF being healthy.

SJS has to hope Jones has a good day or they have to resort to Arendelle.

WPG is......don't even know anymore.  Is Helly playing bad or just the team in front.

STL is hoping that Allen/Bing can be as good as they have played recently.  Crap before Bing showed up.

COL hopes fo the recent version of Gru.

NAS has a great tandem that has not been great.

DAL hopes to be able to gring out 2-1 wins.  Good luck. 

EAST

No clue.  Starters like Rask not playing as well as Halak.  Who do they get to start or do they split?

Bob and Holtby have looked human.

Vasilevskiy has been really good.  Lehner/Greiss have been really good.  

TO is looking tired and vulnerable.

CAR has Mrazek and McBackup.

Not sure about Murray.  Every game I have seen recently has been him losing.