s4xon

7 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

That’s  good! I have 0 faith in Smith. If Smith is so good in the room, maybe he can become an assistant goalie coach. 

I wouldn't write Smith off yet...   I am not sure if he will get back to being a steady #1, but I wouldn't count him out as turning out to be what the Flames need for a backup either...

Just can't see Smith ever being an assistant to Sigalet...   More like if we were ever lucky enough to see Smith want to take on the job, send Sigalet down the road with a nice parting gift like a plane ticket to somewhere warm for a vacation and a shiny new set of golf clubs...

55 minutes ago, Carty said:

I wouldn't write Smith off yet...   I am not sure if he will get back to being a steady #1, but I wouldn't count him out as turning out to be what the Flames need for a backup either...

Just can't see Smith ever being an assistant to Sigalet...   More like if we were ever lucky enough to see Smith want to take on the job, send Sigalet down the road with a nice parting gift like a plane ticket to somewhere warm for a vacation and a shiny new set of golf clubs...

I can’t see it either. I wasn’t being serious about the assistant thing.

i hope you’re right about Smith. It has been close to a full year that he’s been off of his game.

18 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I can’t see it either. I wasn’t being serious about the assistant thing.

i hope you’re right about Smith. It has been close to a full year that he’s been off of his game.

I don't think his current game is so terrible that it doesn't go well wit wat we are getting from Rittich so far. Wasn't the idea this season that Smith play less, well he is now. I don't believe we should be panicking yet.

24 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I’m assuming Smith will get the next start against the Wings.

He’ll have a good outing.:)

Back to Rittich for the Bruins.

Rittich is a big game goalie.

Probably the better choice behind a tired team on a B2B.

Whatever Smith does in game 1, Rittich will try to outdo in game 2.

The score of the SJS game was not a good measure of the goalie(s).

Bad defensive play by Hammer/Hanifin on 2 goals, forwards lost ther man wide open.

A miscue by Mony on a goal that just kind of bounced off the boards.

A terminal velocity blash by Burns.

And a goal Rittich may have wanted back (Jumbo goal).

Tighten up the screws a bit.

Give Smith some help.

3 hours ago, redfire11 said:

Lets hope Rittich starts against Boston. We can't afford to spot a team like that any goals. Smith wasn't terrible against Detroit but there were not many quality chances against him.

His lateral movement wasn;t good on two I watched.

Playing back in his net helps with the majority of the shots he faces, but staying deep means he gets beat in the crease or high shots from the side (Crosby goals).  We'll see if Smith gets a second start on a B2B, whether they trust Gillies or Rittich is available.

8 hours ago, redfire11 said:

Lets hope Rittich starts against Boston. We can't afford to spot a team like that any goals. Smith wasn't terrible against Detroit but there were not many quality chances against him.

I would play Smith again. The team seemed happy for him, which means they will play hard in front of him.

19 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I would play Smith again. The team seemed happy for him, which means they will play hard in front of him.

Consider his age and the fact that if injured we have nobody else until Rittich is back.

Needs to be treated with kid gloves, no matter how he looked last night.

He has an injury history.

Don;t take the chance.

I would play Smith too. I'm not the doctor but lower body injuries worry me even if they are just tweeks. Smith was ok, not great but ok, last night and could use the extra game and i'd rather not risk further injury to Rittich at this point. 

I'd even play Gilles in front of Rittich right now. I would not play Rittich tonight. 

I think you have to be very careful with both Rittich and Smith.

If Rittich is 100% and it wasn;t anything more than soreness and precautionary, then you have to think Rittich.

I'm saying that because I'm not sure about Smith's health.

Skate to the back of the leg last night, combined with whatever he was dealing with before, assuming it was an injury and not mental.

Last night was not an easy game for him.

Lots of work and awkward saves required.

Decision has to be a guy they feel is 100% and able to play 2 in a row, if his name is Smith.

I'm guess that they started Smith in game 1 to give extra time for Rittich.

That makes sense if they just gave him a day off.

If he's got any kind of real injury, then it would have made sense to start Gillies in Game 1.

I get why they are going with Smith and that Gillies hasn't really earned a start, but I think I would have gone with Gillies tonight, just to see if he can gain some confidence back. He has been playing very poorly in Stockton and seems like a guy who has lost some confidence in not making the team out of training camp. Give him the start tonight, let him get some confidence back, we might need him at some point.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I get why they are going with Smith and that Gillies hasn't really earned a start, but I think I would have gone with Gillies tonight, just to see if he can gain some confidence back. He has been playing very poorly in Stockton and seems like a guy who has lost some confidence in not making the team out of training camp. Give him the start tonight, let him get some confidence back, we might need him at some point.

What ? Gilles is up here for back up insurance to the other two not a performance evaluation.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

right now Gillies confidence should take a back seat to Smiths.

We’re in the midst of another 4 games in 6 nights, just like before Christmas.

It’s a tough go, but we’ve gotta deal with it.

Bennett should have sat last night for Czarnik imho.

As for Smith, not tracking the puck well at all and playing too deep has been going on all year now.

Time to ask, why isn’t this getting fixed?

Even Boston’s Asst coach Sacco said last night, after the 2nd, “we’ve gotta get pucks to the net because their goalie’s fighting the puck”.

Sigalet HAS to take some responsibility at this point. There is no sign this has been addressed in 3 months.

• Like 1