s4xon

12 hours ago, redfire11 said:

Smith needs to sit for a few weeks maybe 3.

2 soft goals and 4 icings.

My dad thinks he’s injured. 

Is getting scored on making it harder for him to get up off the ice after being scored on? 

My dad thinks he is labouring when he is down. It could make sense as his reactions are really slow and seemingly methodical, and less reactionary. He sees it, thinks then moves instead of reacting and moving to the play all at once. Is it age? Or injury? Both?

9 minutes ago, hockeypriest2 said:

I didn’t read through the thread before posting this so if it has been asked don’t be too hard on me...

Here is my question,

Where would the Flames be in the standings, in your opinion, if they had league average goaltending from their starter (Smith)???

I don't think it's been asked recently.

Fair question.

The answer is unknown.

Expected goals are higher than they should be.

We looked bad defensively in some games.

We didn't play the entire game in others.

Smith averages about one bad goal per game.

In PITTS the wheels came off, so I can't even say that could have been a win, but we did outplay them for a lot of the game.

I would say, with no basis in fact, that we would have won against the following teams:

ANA

WASH

VAN

7 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

My dad thinks he’s injured. 

Is getting scored on making it harder for him to get up off the ice after being scored on? 

My dad thinks he is labouring when he is down. It could make sense as his reactions are really slow and seemingly methodical, and less reactionary. He sees it, thinks then moves instead of reacting and moving to the play all at once. Is it age? Or injury? Both?

I think he gets deflated on bad goals.

The squeakers also seem to go in where he doesn't have the usual padding.

He complains about the bruises.

If it's not a mental thing, then he is 100% too old or too injured to play at a high level.  

12 hours ago, travel_dude said:

:D:P<_<<_<:mad:

1) Mason was looking for a starter.  IIRC, he wasn;t any worse than Smith.

2) Trade Smth and Ryan to BOS for Rask.

Throw in Stone.

Add a prospect.

3) Trade a 1st for Bob.

4) Hire a former goalie as the goalie coach.  

5) Move Sigalet to a role as shooter development.

Season saved.

Last I heard the Kings were knocking on Masons door. But ya it doesnt look like he was in any rush to be anyones backup.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Tim and Sid have caught on too,

Something is definitely wrong with Smith.. Either his body is broken down or it;s his head cause he;s just not in the game.. If It's his body , then give him the time off to heal and bring in another goalie.. to spell of the kid.. If it's his head.. Put him on waivers.. he's just too old to have enough time to heal that.. Either way.. The kid proved last year that he's not ready for 60 games and we need an immediate fix with a different vet to baby sit the kid cause Sigalet can't play net or help him at this point in time

Watching Luongo play against the Oilers was making me sad.  39, often injured and he looked in control.  Great reaction time.  Tracking the puck.  Some 10 bell saves.

Not even close to what we've had to put up with in CGY.

No,  don't want 7uongo.  Just saying. 

Playing at a much higher level than Smith.

In 2 games back after injury.

Game 1 - .941 and 2 GA

Game 2 -  .963 and 1 GA

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Watching Luongo play against the Oilers was making me sad.  39, often injured and he looked in control.  Great reaction time.  Tracking the puck.  Some 10 bell saves.

Not even close to what we've had to put up with in CGY.

No,  don't want 7uongo.  Just saying. 

Playing at a much higher level than Smith.

In 2 games back after injury.

Game 1 - .941 and 2 GA

Game 2 -  .963 and 1 GA

There are currently 10 goalies 35+ years old. Other than Mckenna who only played 2 games (Senators) they all have better GAA and SV% than Smith. even Craig Andersons #s are better.

Personally, I don't put much weight on David Rittich's play as a starter last season.

That's last year and I feel that he has improved.

I would feel comfortable trying him out as the 1A or 1 B goaltender for the rest of this season.

There are at least 5 or 6 veteran goalies who will all be UFAs after this season.

If it does not work out, perhaps BT has to find a new goalie during this season, though I'd prefer he manages to sign one as a UFA, on or soon after July 1, 2019.

• Like 1

Coddling Smith isn't working.  I hope he plays through whatever it is he is going through.  But this started last season when he came back.  The upcoming back to back will probably give him one more game to rebound, but after that it is time to give Rittich more starts.  I would plan for 2 games to 1 (with Rittich getting 2) but modify based on schedule and play.  

Going back to the clip of Neal tearing into Smith(can't find it) about Smith's playing the puck when there should have been an icing in the Colorado game. I remember thinking at the time Smith doesn't give a sh!#. His play of late has mirrored that and I am seeing that more and more now that I am looking for it. Maybe this is a good time to place him on waivers as I don't see anyone picking him up at the moment and it would be a big wake up call for him. No way any team is going to take a 4.2 m waiver contract on a goalie at this time of the season. Send him to the heat and bring up Gilles. This also forces Rittich to sh!# or get off the pot. Luckily we are early enough in the season we can afford this right now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

Even Gillies is better than Smith at the moment. Gillies let’s in a soft goal but then settles down. Smith just looks bad throughout the whole game.

Gilles currently has almost a 5 GAA and .85 save percentage in the AHL right now this season.  Some of that is due to the weak defense on the farm this year, but those numbers don’t inspire any level of confidence.  I’d stick with Smith over Gilles at this point.

1 hour ago, redfire11 said:

Going back to the clip of Neal tearing into Smith(can't find it) about Smith's playing the puck when there should have been an icing in the Colorado game. I remember thinking at the time Smith doesn't give a sh!#. His play of late has mirrored that and I am seeing that more and more now that I am looking for it. Maybe this is a good time to place him on waivers as I don't see anyone picking him up at the moment and it would be a big wake up call for him. No way any team is going to take a 4.2 m waiver contract on a goalie at this time of the season. Send him to the heat and bring up Gilles. This also forces Rittich to sh!# or get off the pot. Luckily we are early enough in the season we can afford this right now.

Again, Gilles is worse.  If we want to send a message to Smith, that’s easy.  Give Rittich more starts.  I actually see some value in Smith, in that it takes the pressure off of Rittich by having Smith around.  Rittich was great last season until he had to be the guy.  Maybe as the season goes on, we slowly increase his start %, ease him into the starting role.  He’ll become the starter, maybe without even realizing it at first.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

Gilles currently has almost a 5 GAA and .85 save percentage in the AHL right now this season.  Some of that is due to the weak defense on the farm this year, but those numbers don’t inspire any level of confidence.  I’d stick with Smith over Gilles at this point.

Again, Gilles is worse.  If we want to send a message to Smith, that’s easy.  Give Rittich more starts.  I actually see some value in Smith, in that it takes the pressure off of Rittich by having Smith around.  Rittich was great last season until he had to be the guy.  Maybe as the season goes on, we slowly increase his start %, ease him into the starting role.  He’ll become the starter, maybe without even realizing it at first.

I agree with the increasing of starts for Rittich and have from day1 for this season. They will be trying as a team to see Smith through his struggles but I would only give the situation into the new year and should the struggles remain, you have to make a change.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I agree with the increasing of starts for Rittich and have from day1 for this season. They will be trying as a team to see Smith through his struggles but I would only give the situation into the new year and should the struggles remain, you have to make a change.

I go one more month. If we are in the first week of December and they continue, that’s it. It will be getting too deep into the season for the team to be working a goalie into form. But I agree, new Year for sure!!!

• Like 1

I agree JTech. I don't think he's "lost it" or any of that. He's trying to do too much and over-thinking it.

Get a goalie coach already.

Smith needs to get back to the basics, just play the position. It's a good time for him to just watch Rittich closely. Rittich isn't out there trying to be spectacular, he's simply playing goalie fundamentals 101.

Smith is letting it seep into his brain and losing focus.

Where do I apply for goalie coach? And is it okay if I keep shooting at his mask and telling him his head is the problem?

I'd love to follow Sigalet around for a coupla weeks and audit him.

These aren't hard fixes, just stop being everyone's buddy and overcome Smith's passion with angrier passion.

I don't condone Neal's actions, but it had to be done. 36yo's don't need kid gloves.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I go one more month. If we are in the first week of December and they continue, that’s it. It will be getting too deep into the season for the team to be working a goalie into form. But I agree, new Year for sure!!!

There are no other Goalies available regardless of suggestions being posted here. Your Goalie is struggling to find his game everyone on the team knows it. Everyone has to do a little more to help him relax and get through it. Shut outs are going to be rare in this new era and yes Smith looked bad on the 3 goals in ANA but we also had opportunities to bury more goals and failed. I think the barometer is the standings not each and every game yelling for change. If we start to plummet in the standings BT will have to act and Smith of all people will understand that.