s4xon

2 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

yah!!!

and interesting .. FAN960 reports Parsons has been called up to Stockton, so either Lack is getting traded, was claimed,  or hes starting his comeback attempt right from the bottom 

update - he cleared .. so that leaves options 1 and 3.. cant see them purposely creating a 3 headed monster in Stockton 

or Not ...unless the Parsons report was incorrect 

Maybe a buyout?  Lack is needless in Stockton.  We'd all rather Gillies and Parsons get all the starts.

24 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Maybe a buyout?  Lack is needless in Stockton.  We'd all rather Gillies and Parsons get all the starts.

we really need to realize something 

1) The Flames are not giving up on Lack.. he needs to play , all thats changed is he now has to earn his role back not only by playing well but beating out Rittich (for now) .. if Rittich lights it up he stays ..nobody is being blocked here , because...

2) Parsons this year is better being the main guy in the E.. its a MAJOR step up from Junior.. let him have success , then let him graduate next year 

21 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

we really need to realize something 

1) The Flames are not giving up on Lack.. he needs to play , all thats changed is he now has to earn his role back not only by playing well but beating out Rittich (for now) .. if Rittich lights it up he stays ..nobody is being blocked here , because...

2) Parsons this year is better being the main guy in the E.. its a MAJOR step up from Junior.. let him have success , then let him graduate next year 

If the idea was to get Lack playing, they could have asked him and assigned him to the Heat on a conditioning stint, where he would not have to go through waivers.  I believe they always have that option as long as the player agrees.  Maybe he refused, but this doesn't sound like he was sent down to play.  (see edit below; if true then it takes games away from Gillies)

What is the benefit to having Lack take games away from Gillies?  Maybe the ECHL is the best place for him.  

As for Parsons going from the CHL to the ECHL, I don't see this as a logical progression.  Gillies went from the NCAA to AHL.  MacDonald would have gone there if he was good enough.  In general, most goalies never see time in the ECHL unless they are not that great or there is no room for them.  Loaning a goalie to another AHL team is another option.  

EDIT:

#Flames GM Brad Treliving on demotion of Eddie Lack: “He needs to get some games in. He’d be the first one to tell you, and it’s probably not completely fair with the amount of time he’s gotten so far, but he looks like he needs a reset and that’s what this is all about.”

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

If the idea was to get Lack playing, they could have asked him and assigned him to the Heat on a conditioning stint, where he would not have to go through waivers.  I believe they always have that option as long as the player agrees.  Maybe he refused, but this doesn't sound like he was sent down to play.  

What is the benefit to having Lack take games away from Gillies?  Maybe the ECHL is the best place for him.  

As for Parsons going from the CHL to the ECHL, I don't see this as a logical progression.  Gillies went from the NCAA to AHL.  MacDonald would have gone there if he was good enough.  In general, most goalies never see time in the ECHL unless they are not that great or there is no room for them.  Loaning a goalie to another AHL team is another option.  

conditioning stints are limited time.. 2 weeks I believe .. and yes they risked losing him ,but they also risked losing Tanner and Freddie .. but they werent giving up on them either.. they just took a calculated risk..but at this time he stays until he plays his way up or down . It wasn't a temporary thing, hes there til he gets his act together 

and nobody is saying hes gonna play a string , he'll likely get the starts Rittich was getting , which is way better than 2 starts in 21 games

The benefit? assuming he can regain some form .. he either comes back as what we wanted or we get low draft pick for him at the  TDL

not to mention very good chance Gillies stays there for another season.. Rittich requires waivers next season .. Gillies does not . If hes a viable backup then Rittich has a new job .

23 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

If the idea was to get Lack playing, they could have asked him and assigned him to the Heat on a conditioning stint, where he would not have to go through waivers.  I believe they always have that option as long as the player agrees.  Maybe he refused, but this doesn't sound like he was sent down to play.  (see edit below; if true then it takes games away from Gillies)

EDIT:

#Flames GM Brad Treliving on demotion of Eddie Lack: “He needs to get some games in. He’d be the first one to tell you, and it’s probably not completely fair with the amount of time he’s gotten so far, but he looks like he needs a reset and that’s what this is all about.”

Tons of very good goalies have seen time in the ECHL, Jonathan Quick, Mike Smith, Braden Holtby, and Devan Dubnyk are few examples of very good goalies that needed some time in the ECHL.

Parson's sturggled when he first got to Kansas City, he is starting to find his way, if he keeps it up he will force his way up the depth chart and onto Stockton's roster, but at the moment Kansas City is the best place for him.

At the moment they don't have a ton of choices with Lack, they need to get him in some games, to at least see if they can get him going if Rittich doesn't prove he is ready for the NHL or at least to be able to move him at some point in the season.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Tons of very good goalies have seen time in the ECHL, Jonathan Quick, Mike Smith, Braden Holtby, and Devan Dubnyk are few examples of very good goalies that needed some time in the ECHL.

Seen time or need time - sure.  Not an entire season.  In some cases, the guy gets sent there to improve or get additional starts.  Or he starts there and gets moved up.  

17 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Seen time or need time - sure.  Not an entire season.  In some cases, the guy gets sent there to improve or get additional starts.  Or he starts there and gets moved up.  

Most teams also don't have the depth we have . tell me another team with 3 developing  goaltenders projected to be quality starters in the NHL? As well as another that may or may not become a quality starter again ..

The issue with loaning a player is your guy gets neglected cuz that team puts emphasis on developing their own .. seriously , hes not gonna stagnate , if anything he will get more work in the E cuz the defenseman are the first to move up 

26 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Most teams also don't have the depth we have . tell me another team with 3 developing  goaltenders projected to be quality starters in the NHL? As well as another that may or may not become a quality starter again ..

The issue with loaning a player is your guy gets neglected cuz that team puts emphasis on developing their own .. seriously , hes not gonna stagnate , if anything he will get more work in the E cuz the defenseman are the first to move up 

I heard. on the fan, that the D in ECHL isn’t very good so numbers there are not telling. Numbers are usually inflated. So Parsons will probably see more shots there.

Hope that after tonight they give Smith a breather, back to back coming up tomorrow and while Smith has been great really want to see what Rittich can do (he can learn a lot from Smith)

Smith has been battling and giving consistent game-winning performances (even with 5 against tonight was only 5 due to Smith) and still keeps getting peppered with high danger scoring chances and games going the other way.  But consistently losing games when you get the better goal tending is a trend that needs to stop.  I know it would impact my work in that situation and "eventually" will start to eat away at Smith as well.  no matter how professional or how much battle he has.

He went through years of this in Arizona, and that was "supposed" to stop when he came to a "better" team

2 hours ago, JustAFlamer said:

Hope that after tonight they give Smith a breather, back to back coming up tomorrow and while Smith has been great really want to see what Rittich can do (he can learn a lot from Smith)

Smith has been battling and giving consistent game-winning performances (even with 5 against tonight was only 5 due to Smith) and still keeps getting peppered with high danger scoring chances and games going the other way.  But consistently losing games when you get the better goal tending is a trend that needs to stop.  I know it would impact my work in that situation and "eventually" will start to eat away at Smith as well.  no matter how professional or how much battle he has.

He went through years of this in Arizona, and that was "supposed" to stop when he came to a "better" team

The team needs to see Rittich in nets.  There is no other choice.  Smith was groaning after one save where he did the splits.  HE looked like he was really sore after that.  Didn't seem to affect him, but he needs a game off.  I think Rittich is ready.  He's been playing very well as a backup in Stockton.  He doesn;t seem to need to get into a rhythm of playing a certain number of games in a week. 

Overall, I think Gillies is the better starter over Rittich, but we aren't needing that right now.    

1 hour ago, Carty said:

Just posted this in the GDT, but I'll add it here as well...   http://fans.flames.nhl.com/community/topic/22522-flames-avs-nov-25-8pm/

Rittich get's the start tonight, I hope he takes advantage of the opportunity and shuts the door...

Good move. I think Smitty needs a break and it will be good for Rittich to get some immediate action.

On 11/24/2017 at 11:30 AM, The_People1 said:

GG said yesterday in an interview that the plan was a design by BT to get Lack some quality ice time/starts.

Lets face it sitting on the pine for long stretches is not a good recipe for quality play.

29 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

GG said yesterday in an interview that the plan was a design by BT to get Lack some quality ice time/starts.

Lets face it sitting on the pine for long stretches is not a good recipe for quality play.

Whether that is true or not, it's the best thing to say.  He could have sent him for a conditioning stint, if the player agreed.  How is he going to get enough games in the AHL if Gillies is being developed there?  More than the NHL, but not enough to really improve him in a month or so.  Just me I guess

48 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Whether that is true or not, it's the best thing to say.  He could have sent him for a conditioning stint, if the player agreed.  How is he going to get enough games in the AHL if Gillies is being developed there?  More than the NHL, but not enough to really improve him in a month or so.  Just me I guess

Sending Lack down for a conditioning stint doesn't open a roster spot to call up a goalie. We would have had to send Lack down on a conditioning stint plus send down Freddie to open a spot for Rittich.

On 11/24/2017 at 0:30 PM, The_People1 said:

The buy out chance is only in June. Best the Flames can do is save 0.35 on the cap by putting him in the minors.

It doesn't matter if he's in the NHL, AHL or ECHL he still costs the same in real $s. So unless we can trade him (stand alone or throw in) he's ours until the contract expires this year.

On 11/25/2017 at 3:49 PM, DirtyDeeds said:

Regardless, Rittich has done nothing but be solid downstairs for us when needed, for over a year.

Lack is fighting a losing battle rn, in my honest opinion.

Imho, all of our goalies not named Smith will have to overcome Rittich.

We're overlooking him imho, he rarely struggles. Just a good, athletic and composed goalie that plays up to needs.

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Regardless, Rittich has done nothing but be solid downstairs for us when needed, for over a year.

We're overlooking him imho, he rarely struggles. Just a good, athletic and composed goalie that plays up to needs.

Rittich looked confident last night even after the team fell apart in front of him in the 2nd and 3rd period.

8 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

Rittich looked confident last night even after the team fell apart in front of him in the 2nd and 3rd period.

Fell apart? What game were you watching? That was one of Calgary's best games defensively all year. They basically gave Colorado nothing. The only difficult save Rittich had to make was the break away. All the shots were from the outside. Calgary only turned the puck over 4 times. It was a very controlled game by them.

22 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Fell apart? What game were you watching? That was one of Calgary's best games defensively all year. They basically gave Colorado nothing. The only difficult save Rittich had to make was the break away. All the shots were from the outside. Calgary only turned the puck over 4 times. It was a very controlled game by them.

You are selling Rittich a bit short.  He had some difficult saves to make and some that were more routine that our goalies have let in.  

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I agree.  You want a backup to come into a game and look like he is ready.  No excuses.  He did that last year and he's doing it this year.  I hope he gets a few games in to show he should be the guy backing up Smith.  IMHO, he's underrated.  5 SO's last season and 2 already this year.

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

You are selling Rittich a bit short.  He had some difficult saves to make and some that were more routine that our goalies have let in.  

I agree.  You want a backup to come into a game and look like he is ready.  No excuses.  He did that last year and he's doing it this year.  I hope he gets a few games in to show he should be the guy backing up Smith.  IMHO, he's underrated.  5 SO's last season and 2 already this year.

Don't get me wrong, I thought Rittich was very impressive last night, but I also think Calgary's defense stepped up big time last night and really limited the high danger chances.