s4xon

Great trade. Cost nothing and Calgary gets a competent backup for under 2 million. Murphy could turn it around as well, he was a top prospect not long ago. 

Lack wasn't my first choice for backup. But honestly, it's splitting hairs a bit at this point. 

6 minutes ago, kehatch said:

Great trade. Cost nothing and Calgary gets a competent backup for under 2 million. Murphy could turn it around as well, he was a top prospect not long ago. 

Lack wasn't my first choice for backup. But honestly, it's splitting hairs a bit at this point. 

I agree and he is almost like a sideways move, from Chad Johnson, someone who can back up but give you some extra starts if needed. 

sounds like lack at 50% salary, and a defenceman potentially bottom paring for kanzig (with basically a pick swap in late rounds)

(not familiar with Ryan Murphy can he be our 5th or is he similar to bart?)

either way i would consider that trade a steal

I was kind of hoping Rittich would get a shot, but this is a good trade.

• Like 1

I'm fine with this. You really arnt giving up much so it's worth it. Not a Murphy fan and I don't think he is an nhler but it gives you depth as a RH shot  

Lack will be cost effective which is nice. The lack in Vancouver I liked a lot so if he can even get back to 80% of that this will be good. If not well then backup will be an issue. He was pretty bad in Carolina. 

14 minutes ago, kehatch said:

This is the most bizarre trade I have heard of.

Lack at 50%

Murphy and 7th

for

Kanzig and a 6th?

I'm not a Lack fan, but even if he fails, we can lose most of his salary by waiving him and sending him down.

We were never going to use Kanzig.

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

Lack at 50%

Murphy and 7th

for

Kanzig and a 6th?

I'm not a Lack fan, but even if he fails, we can lose most of his salary by waiving him and sending him down.

It's basically Carolina getting rid of Lack as they don't want to have 3 goalies when the season begins.

32 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Lack at 50%

Murphy and 7th

for

Kanzig and a 6th?

Wasn't Carolina terrible last year? At times at least? 

I still think we can tend to blame goalies for their teams' inadequacies. It's gotta be on both.

Just now, robrob74 said:

Wasn't Carolina terrible last year? At times at least? 

I still think we can tend to blame goalies for their teams' inadequacies. It's gotta be on both.

im trying to remember the guys name, a goalie expert that was on Fan 960 a few weeks back. specifically discussed style of goalie vs team.. made a point of discussing that Lack was entirely wrong for the Carolina system.. GG is very familiar with Lack.. I'll trust he had some input on this 

Lack sure wasn't a strong blip on my backup search radar...

Just hope that we get the right version...   The one with a .921 SV% and not the one that had a .886 in the playoffs that same season...   The one that got a win from the Flames in OT in his NHL debut game when he was with the Nucks, and then 2 years later got his first playoff win, again against the Flames...

The price was right (Kanzig), the dollars work ($1.5 mil), and the term is right (1 year)...   It's gettin' to be slim pickin's in the goalie market...   So let's give him a chance, and we'll see what he's got...   Worst case scenario, Gillies could come take his spot at least until they can figure out another plan...

It's possible that he could step up with his play and make Treliving look like a genius...   Let's hope for the best...

1 minute ago, phoenix66 said:

im trying to remember the guys name, a goalie expert that was on Fan 960 a few weeks back. specifically discussed style of goalie vs team.. made a point of discussing that Lack was entirely wrong for the Carolina system.. GG is very familiar with Lack.. I'll trust he had some input on this 

I remember that too!

i listen to both the Fan and 1040 here in Van and I wasn't sure if it was here in Vancouver or on the Fan. Was it Noodles? Hirsch? Or the goalie that got injured and had to retire, Brent Krahn?

We should get to hear Jim Hughson talk about a bunch of things this year:

• Eddie Lack's dad
  • 20-something Sam Bennett
  • Ferkland running around like a bull in a china shop
  • Johnny Hockey, winner of the Lady Byng trophy
  • Matt Tkachuk, most reviled player in hockey since his dad

52 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Lack at 50%

Murphy and 7th

for

Kanzig and a 6th?

They save a bit of money and clear up a goalie. Clearly there wasn't a big market for Lack. 

21 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I remember that too!

i listen to both the Fan and 1040 here in Van and I wasn't sure if it was here in Vancouver or on the Fan. Was it Noodles? Hirsch? Or the goalie that got injured and had to retire, Brent Krahn?

here it is.. Kevin Woodley - InGoal Magazine

http://www.sportsnet.ca/960/ryan-pinder/kevin-woodley-talks-goalies-pinder/

• Like 1

Really like the Smith acquisition, he was #1 on my list a year and a half ago when we were riding out the last 10-15 games with Ramo/Hiller.  He meets our needs in so many ways.  I think he was BT's guy too all along but the price was too high last summer.

Lack was not on my list as backup, no where close, but after looking at the cost, why not?  I think we are stronger in net, five more wins in a season goes along ways in the standings come April and I think Smith will bring that.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Lack at 50%

Murphy and 7th

for

Kanzig and a 6th?

Carolina has no use for either and have been rumoured to be shopping both for some time.  Here they get rid of 2 assets they don't want, clear salary and roster space and not have to give up an asset to do it. Makes a lot of sense from Carolina's perspective. Murphy wa never going to play on that d core once they got TVR

2 hours ago, CheersMan said:

Really like the Smith acquisition, he was #1 on my list a year and a half ago when we were riding out the last 10-15 games with Ramo/Hiller.  He meets our needs in so many ways.  I think he was BT's guy too all along but the price was too high last summer.

Lack was not on my list as backup, no where close, but after looking at the cost, why not?  I think we are stronger in net, five more wins in a season goes along ways in the standings come April and I think Smith will bring that.

I don't love our solution for net for the simple reason that it is a Band-Aid. The expansion draft represented an opportunity to bring on a legitimate number 1 who would helm the position long term. What we got was a decent tandem for one or two seasons. 

That said, this team absolutely needs stability in net for this season. Most of our core is entering their prime and are getting paid top dollar. We need to take a step forward and that requires goalies we can trust. I think we got that for this season. 

Let's just hope one of the kids graduates and shows starter prowess in the next two or we will have to play this game again shortly (and probably without the benefit of an expansion draft). 

7 hours ago, kehatch said:

I don't love our solution for net for the simple reason that it is a Band-Aid. The expansion draft represented an opportunity to bring on a legitimate number 1 who would helm the position long term. What we got was a decent tandem for one or two seasons. 

That said, this team absolutely needs stability in net for this season. Most of our core is entering their prime and are getting paid top dollar. We need to take a step forward and that requires goalies we can trust. I think we got that for this season. 

Let's just hope one of the kids graduates and shows starter prowess in the next two or we will have to play this game again shortly (and probably without the benefit of an expansion draft). 

Let's hear your after expansion draft plan of attack for a Goalie since you are entering these comments after the fact ?

7 hours ago, kehatch said:

In all seriousness, the way it played out , who were we supposed to have that we missed out on?

Bishop and MAF were closed doors

The price on Raanta was a 1st (7th overall) and bad contract in return

The price on Grubauer is still high

LV didnt load up on goalies as expected they loaded up on D

Elliot was apparently a fallback plan only in Flames eyes 

Buffalo is keeping Lehner

Philly is Keeping Neuvirth

We did inquire on and tried to get  Darling but he went to Carolina..likely to get him East instead of West

Saros and Korpisalo are not being traded anywhere 

If BT had not jumped on Smith when he did, Lack is probably our starter now ..our best other options would be Mason and Bernier , and we didnt close the door on anybody in our system to come get a job , and more importantly we didn't rush them into action prematurely .

Being realistic, Smith will miss some games this year ..that means more experience for Rittich and / or Gillies up on the big club

Even for those who view Smith = Elliot , then the moves he did allowed us the ability to put way better defense in front of him so the ripple effect still means a heavy goal upgrade 

Bottom line the expected buyers market for starters did not happen . We could argue at some point in the last year BT fumbled the Bishop window, but in the end if he signs anywhere but Dallas hes a long term 6M+ / year 

What did we miss out on ?

• Like 1

another awesome interview with Kevin Woodley on the FAN960 this AM..  should be posted on Sportsnet later today ,,  but he goes into great detail why Lack had the issues in Carolina.  Gives me a firm belief we will see the Vancouver Lack  for us this year .

Anybody not liking this deal needs to give it a listen..

Basically summary is Carolina was forcing him to change his style to a style that exposed his weakness 

as a humor story.. just further proof you can never trust Eklund.. this is from his updated Rumor chart . updated TODAY

umm.. for a guy supposedly so in tune, he doesnt know we have 2 now ??

phi.gif

Steve Mason

Updated: June 30, 10:26 AM ET

cgy.gif40% la.gif 30% fla.gif 25% phi.gif5%

10 hours ago, cross16 said:

Carolina has no use for either and have been rumoured to be shopping both for some time.  Here they get rid of 2 assets they don't want, clear salary and roster space and not have to give up an asset to do it. Makes a lot of sense from Carolina's perspective. Murphy wa never going to play on that d core once they got TVR

We all wanted a D from Carolina because they have so many... But the last guy we wanted was Murphy.  I wonder if there was a deal to be made where we add a bit more to land one of their other kids.  Especially Bouma or Stajan (clear room for Jankowski).  Or eat the full $4-mil of Lack's contract.

Good riddance to Keagan Kanzig though.  What a horrible draft pick.  We gambled on size and lost.

I think Lack is a good backup.  Carolina gave us a high risk high reward D to dump him to us.  Not many other teams were looking for a backup.  It was either us or a buyout.

Just now, The_People1 said:

We all wanted a D from Carolina because they have so many... But the last guy we wanted was Murphy.  I wonder if there was a deal to be made where we add a bit more to land one of their other kids.  Especially Bouma or Stajan (clear room for Jankowski). 

Good riddance to Keagan Kanzig though.  What a horrible draft pick.  We gambled on size and lost.

I think Lack is a good backup.  Carolina gave us a high risk high reward D to dump him to us.  Not many other teams were looking for a backup.  It was either us or a buyout.

I believe CAR put the word out they were not trading any of their considered top defensemen. This is a deal BT can afford to take a flyer on as we need a back up goalie and more RHSD for our pipeline which is practically VOID right now. No gripes about this deal.

6 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I believe CAR put the word out they were not trading any of their considered top defensemen. This is a deal BT can afford to take a flyer on as we need a back up goalie and more RHSD for our pipeline which is practically VOID right now. No gripes about this deal.

So much for that murphy is being bought out.