s4xon

Ortio is a best a back and that's even asking a lot. I still never under stood the reasoning for sending Brossoit to EDM Really when a rookie goalie in Coiler land gets an extension he has to be good. I can't recall who made the trade but it was the weakest decision IMHO, it should have been Ortio not Brossoit. We have never had a great record of scouting goalie talent.

We are now back to 3 goalies, none of which are remotely capable of being beneficial to the team.

Got to stop worrying about the Oilers.  As you can recall, they give just about EVERY rookie goalie an extension, e.g. Scrivens, Talbot.... Brossoit hasn't proved anything yet, and Ortio was definitely ahead of him at the time of the trade.

Relax, BT will work something out in the Summer.  

JJ you can breath a little easier today....

Ortio starting tonight 

A little quip from Hartley (just to fuel the flames):

1. Hartley on Backstrom. "Maybe we have a 38 year old wonder sitting in weeds". Ortio plays tonight in Boston . #Flames

1 retweet6 likes

Retweet

More

1. Hartley on Backstrom. "Maybe we have a 38 year old wonder sitting in weeds". Ortio plays tonight in Boston . #Flames

1 retweet6 likes

Retweet

More

Well, totally true, what do we really know?  I believe Backstrom was pretty good at one point, and if he can rekindle that in a few games with the Flames that would be interesting.  

1 retweet6 likes

Retweet

More

You know, if Backstrom relied more on angles than reflex and agility, then age would not be as great a concern. However, Backstrom is mostly reflex and agility.  One of the first things to go when you age is reflex and agility.

You know, if Backstrom relied more on angles than reflex and agility, then age would not be as great a concern. However, Backstrom is mostly reflex and agility.  One of the first things to go when you age is reflex and agility.

I'll be interested to see that for myself when he gets his few games.

Ortio is a best a back and that's even asking a lot. I still never under stood the reasoning for sending Brossoit to EDM Really when a rookie goalie in Coiler land gets an extension he has to be good. I can't recall who made the trade but it was the weakest decision IMHO, it should have been Ortio not Brossoit. We have never had a great record of scouting goalie talent.

We are now back to 3 goalies, none of which are remotely capable of being beneficial to the team.

in hindight yes.. but i recall at the time almost everybody agreed that LB was behind Ortio on the depth chart. thats the way it goes with goaltenders. At the time, Smid was a major upgrade on our D(its come a long way) and Gio had just been hurt.. so it made sense then.LB had also looked really weak at the last Juniors

and it was Feaster who made the trade..but again its a hindsight case

Well, totally true, what do we really know?  I believe Backstrom was pretty good at one point, and if he can rekindle that in a few games with the Flames that would be interesting.  

He won't get much rope.  At most he'll get 5 games, and those will like come from Hiller's starts.  Ortio will still likely get 9 or more.  BT has his grand play.  If he wants Ortio to be a UFA or RFA, he knows what needs to be done.

1 retweet6 likes

Retweet

More

Another class act by the Flames.  Backstrom is now a member of this team and the organization is making him feel welcome.  Considering his age, something miraculous on his part would need to happen for him to receive significant game time -or injury, poor play by existing GT’s could open things up.  Regardless, I think it’s obvious we go hard for a #1 in the offseason.

Another class act by the Flames.  Backstrom is now a member of this team and the organization is making him feel welcome.  Considering his age, something miraculous on his part would need to happen for him to receive significant game time -or injury, poor play by existing GT’s could open things up.  Regardless, I think it’s obvious we go hard for a #1 in the offseason.

I would have to think the plan is to get Ortio the required amount of games in to keep him under control and sort out the rest in the offseason.

I think this was mentioned earlier but it does appear that Ortio is on a emergency recall so probably tomorrow he is going to have to be returned to Stockton. I would imagine he would get recalled after that however.

Already been dealt with. Both he and ...i forget if it was nak or spoon... were sent down and immediately recalled as paper transactions. 

Ortio deserves the majority of the remaining starts. But I still give Backstrom a half dozen. If he plays well, I'd be willing to dangle a 1-1.5 mil  1 year contract to see if he bites. Worst case, easy to waive if he plays badly, Best case, we find an acceptable starter to hold the fort till Gillies gets here. 

I think this was mentioned earlier but it does appear that Ortio is on a emergency recall so probably tomorrow he is going to have to be returned to Stockton. I would imagine he would get recalled after that however.

I believe that Dart is right here.  They have used two recalls (Hathaway and Ortio) same day as TDL.

It was Feaster who made this trade and we got a good return as we needed Smid at the time. We got a goalie back in that trade too.

f43cb3e500a0df2fe8557104eb0c892f.png

Oilers did not fare so well from this trade when Horak bolted end of the season to go back overseas. He wanted no part of the Oiler organization. 

I think Ortio is heading to Stockton. We have 20 games left with a bare roster and two recalls left. We can't carry 3 goalies under those circumstances. This was avoidable and unnecessary. When Hudler went, we were down to 12 forwards. Yet they waited til after Jones was traded to make the first recall which was past the deadline. This has hugely compromised flexibility with call ups which is crucial at this time of year in our position.

Already been dealt with. Both he and ...i forget if it was nak or spoon... were sent down and immediately recalled as paper transactions.

Ortio deserves the majority of the remaining starts. But I still give Backstrom a half dozen. If he plays well, I'd be willing to dangle a 1-1.5 mil 1 year contract to see if he bites. Worst case, easy to waive if he plays badly, Best case, we find an acceptable starter to hold the fort till Gillies gets here.

I guess we will see but all thd guys on the Fan and sayin Ortio still counts as a emergency recalled. It is possible that both he and Wortherspoon were sent down and up as emergency recall loans considering that last night the flames would have still been under the limit. Sounds like this is what happened as opposed to having them recalled the normal way.

Spoon was sent down and recalled yesterday and was still sent down today so I think that is likely what happened. I can't see them recalling spoon yesterday as one of their call ups and then sending him down today

This a bad pun? Ortio has not won this year yet.......l

No pun intended.  I’m cheering for Ortio now and hope he does well.  With the way we finished last year I felt we owed it to Ramo and Hiller to see if one of them could prevail and continue to carry this team at least to the TDL.  Ramo was doing a decent job, but then the injury.  We have now pasted the TDL and its clear what we are.  Now its Orito’s time, lets give him the remaining games to see what he has because now we are in next year country.  I think Ortio is doing okay, his SA% is climbing but the wins will be infrequent simply because he now has a weaker team in front of him. 

The one thing BT needs to be commended for is that he never brought back any $’s when selling his UFA’s.  He shed Hudlers $4 plus Jones $4 plus Russell $2.6 for futures -No $’s coming back, I say bravo!

If BT wants to bring in a #1RW plus a #1GT then he still hasn’t shed enough from the payroll.  We could be looking at our GT duo for next year in Backstrom and Ortio.  This would keep the GT’s $’s down so that we can bring in a proven #1RW.  Alternatively, the RW comes from within and we go shopping for a proven #1GT.

No pun intended. I’m cheering for Ortio now and hope he does well. With the way we finished last year I felt we owed it to Ramo and Hiller to see if one of them could prevail and continue to carry this team at least to the TDL. Ramo was doing a decent job, but then the injury. We have now pasted the TDL and its clear what we are. Now its Orito’s time, lets give him the remaining games to see what he has because now we are in next year country. I think Ortio is doing okay, his SA% is climbing but the wins will be infrequent simply because he now has a weaker team in front of him.

The one thing BT needs to be commended for is that he never brought back any $’s when selling his UFA’s. He shed Hudlers $4 plus Jones $4 plus Russell $2.6 for futures -No $’s coming back, I say bravo!

If BT wants to bring in a #1RW plus a #1GT then he still hasn’t shed enough from the payroll. We could be looking at our GT duo for next year in Backstrom and Ortio. This would keep the GT’s $’s down so that we can bring in a proven #1RW. Alternatively, the RW comes from within and we go shopping for a proven #1GT.

Ortio played a solid game in the Bruins barn, he's a tough goalie to judge he's so up and down. I hope BH keeps giving him starts. I can still see Backstrom coming in and just putting on a show to really make things interesting..that or he gets absolutely lit up lol.

To be fair (at least on this B2B), Hiller got the easier start on the first night, with the team actually able to score more than a goal.  There was nothing about Hiller's game that was inspiring.

Both goalies we have are horrible. Both goals on Ortio were high blocker, not just coincidence is it. Ortio is athletic and moves well laterally, so shots that are 2 feet and under he is efficient. He can't cover the net in the high corners when he goes down. We are so far gone right now just pull the plug and let the water out. Out of the 2 Ortio, is slightly better, which does say much, however he Is at best a backup in NHL. Send him down to AHL where he does play well and let Backstrom and Hiller take the loses till year end.