s4xon

I wasn't suggesting he is going to acquire one today. It's a long-term thing. Maybe Ortio is the answer, but who cares, Ramo and Berra are not. If Ortio pans out, then you can trade Ortio or the new guy (whoever that may be). Burke builds from the net out and there is a very weak foundation at the net right now. We do not currently have an NHL quality goalie on the roster.

If you want longshots, retreads and young guys running the show, you can see the results of that up north. You can have young guys in the works, and that's great, but you need someone established to challenge for that role every night. Someone that can play NHL hockey. Doesn't have to be Lundqvist good. But it has to be a decent goalie.

Burke wouldn't be doing his job if he wasn't looking for a goalie. Quite frankly with the state of the flames there is no position or area of the organization they shouldn't be looking to upgrade in.

If the deals for Dubnyk and Scrivens are anything to go by this seems to be the time to get in on the goalie market. If he can get a youngish goalie with greater potential than Ramo or Berra on those kind of terms then he does the deal, no question.

If the deals for Dubnyk and Scrivens are anything to go by this seems to be the time to get in on the goalie market. If he can get a youngish goalie with greater potential than Ramo or Berra on those kind of terms then he does the deal, no question.

I wonder though how good or bad these two goalies really are. I wonder what Ramo, in particular, would do with a real team in front of him with a good defence? He isn't consistent, but I also wonder how much it has to do with the team. We're so used to Kipper that most don't know what good goaltending looks like as Kipper was really good and not just good. How do we really know if Ramo is good with the state of the team? 

So we trade Ramo for a bag of pucks to a team willing to give him a chance, who can actually play D, then he's lights out, then what? Of course it's a hypothetical, but it could happen… Osgood didn't need to be great in Detroit and how many Cups did he win?

• Like 1

I wonder though how good or bad these two goalies really are. I wonder what Ramo, in particular, would do with a real team in front of him with a good defence? He isn't consistent, but I also wonder how much it has to do with the team. We're so used to Kipper that most don't know what good goaltending looks like as Kipper was really good and not just good. How do we really know if Ramo is good with the state of the team?

So we trade Ramo for a bag of pucks to a team willing to give him a chance, who can actually play D, then he's lights out, then what? Of course it's a hypothetical, but it could happen… Osgood didn't need to be great in Detroit and how many Cups did he win?

Ramo has been decent after a shaky start and has outperformed Berra. If we were to acquire another goalie he will stay and battle it out for the starter role or act as back up. We wouldn't acquire one goalie and dump two. But we should definitely be looking for opportunities for high potential young goalies to anchor this team through and hopefully beyond a rebuild.

Thank you!! Someone that actually gets it! There is actually nothing wrong with Ramo and Berra. They are adapting quickly to the nhl game and in many games give us a chance to win. San jose could easily have won 6-2 if not for Ramo.

We are spoiled in calgary and its unfair to any goaltender we could bring in. We believe its a goalies job to steal lots of wins to be considered "an nhl goalie"

A goalies style needs to match the style of the team.in calgarys case, that goalie needs to be an acrobat to handle multi chances, screened shots and quick passes due to the porous defense

Kipper came at a time when we were a strong defensive team, he fit our style and got to see every shot, rarely faced a second and it clicked.

We have come to believe no wins=bad goaltending, not true, look north for proof of that

You could put ramo and /or Berra in Boston, st louis, chicago , detroit or san jose..and they probably win a cup. They have both shown me they are good enough.

Furthermore, I would not trade them for Jimmy Howard, Niemi, Halak,Crawford or Rask straight up.....ok maybe Rask.:)

Why? Because every single one of those goalies would be getting lit up here as much if not more than our current 2.and this board would have a new thread called "what's wrong with X" while we debate why this stellar goalie can no longer win games.

About the only goalie in this league,I would rather see back there is a healthy Pekka Rinne. Just because hes proven he can steal games for a bad team

We should be signing Berra to a 2 year extension. Running with both through end of next season, trading one for prospects and or 2015 draft picks and promoting ortio to back up at that time.

Anything wed be willing to give up for a "real" goalie should be going towards D

• Like 2

Burke will absolutely look for a goalie.  He isn't going to bank on Ortio, Berra, or Ramo to support a young team in a rebuild.  He might not be able to find one, especially until the off season.  But I can almost guarantee he will be looking for security in net.  

What's funny is that is one thing I have not heard him talk about since he came to Calgary.  He is vocal enough about everything else, or at least has been.  Sure his MO may be to build from the net out, but I think he may view Ramo as anoth Reimer; need to see a full year to know if he has the "stuff".   

Sure, if a younger proven goalie became available on the cheap, he would be all over it. 

Like who ?

Burke will absolutely look for a goalie.  He isn't going to bank on Ortio, Berra, or Ramo to support a young team in a rebuild.  He might not be able to find one, especially until the off season.  But I can almost guarantee he will be looking for security in net.  

I agree both of our goalies have performed well given the circumstances. Berra should definitely be resigned if he will, you don't get someone like him in trade and just have him walk.

If BB is focused on beefing up our D then great, he should be. The bigger focus will be on who to trade at the deadline and what to obtain for them.

Thank you!! Someone that actually gets it! There is actually nothing wrong with Ramo and Berra. They are adapting quickly to the nhl game and in many games give us a chance to win. San jose could easily have won 6-2 if not for Ramo.
We are spoiled in calgary and its unfair to any goaltender we could bring in. We believe its a goalies job to steal lots of wins to be considered "an nhl goalie"

A goalies style needs to match the style of the team.in calgarys case, that goalie needs to be an acrobat to handle multi chances, screened shots and quick passes due to the porous defense
Kipper came at a time when we were a strong defensive team, he fit our style and got to see every shot, rarely faced a second and it clicked.

We have come to believe no wins=bad goaltending, not true, look north for proof of that

You could put ramo and /or Berra in Boston, st louis, chicago , detroit or san jose..and they probably win a cup. They have both shown me they are good enough.
Furthermore, I would not trade them for Jimmy Howard, Niemi, Halak,Crawford or Rask straight up.....ok maybe Rask. :)
Why? Because every single one of those goalies would be getting lit up here as much if not more than our current 2.and this board would have a new thread called "what's wrong with X" while we debate why this stellar goalie can no longer win games.
About the only goalie in this league,I would rather see back there is a healthy Pekka Rinne. Just because hes proven he can steal games for a bad team

We should be signing Berra to a 2 year extension. Running with both through end of next season, trading one for prospects and or 2015 draft picks and promoting ortio to back up at that time.
Anything wed be willing to give up for a "real" goalie should be going towards D

• Like 1

What's funny is that is one thing I have not heard him talk about since he came to Calgary. He is vocal enough about everything else, or at least has been. Sure his MO may be to build from the net out, but I think he may view Ramo as anoth Reimer; need to see a full year to know if he has the "stuff".

Sure, if a younger proven goalie became available on the cheap, he would be all over it.

He hasn't really been vocal at all. He hasn't said he needs a top line C, big top 4 D, or addressed any specific position. Nor should he.

Furthermore, I would not trade them for Jimmy Howard, Niemi, Halak,Crawford or Rask straight up.....ok maybe Rask. :)

I agree, I just think we're about 2 years away from looking for a new goalie if that's going to happen. The team has too many shortcomings to search that guy out just yet. We can ruin a goalies' confidence if we get him too early and then what? We waste more assets on finding a good goalie.

For me, I stay the course for a bit and when the team starts putting things together I'd look into it. I'd rather know that the holes are filled before putting someone between the pipes to hide what we're lacking, much like what Kipper did for us while he was here.

Excellent. I was afraid he'd been hewn in the last game. 

sanjosesharkscelebrate_3031-430x298.jpg

Love. 

Get your head in the game!

Honestly, I just can't stress enough how much it doesn't matter, and how much I don't care whether Ramo or Berra is worse (or better, if you're a glass-half-full type).

For goaltending, the Flames story of the year is Ortio:

http://theahl.com/ortio-taking-the-ahl-by-storm-p190020

And it gives us a lot of hope going forward.

Safe to say he's our number one prospect now?  

Or neck and neck with Gillies?

Get your head in the game!

Honestly, I just can't stress enough how much it doesn't matter, and how much I don't care whether Ramo or Berra is worse (or better, if you're a glass-half-full type).

Still think Gillies is the more likely bet to be our starting goalie....Ortio has a few years of development so he's more advanced along his development curve, so it's to be expected that he looks better right now. But I'm biased, since I had Gillies right there with Vasilevski and Subban in their draft year.

I'm just glad that we've got two guys we can hedge our bets on rather than one. Keeps the pressure off of both to develop into quality players. They can grow at their own pace. People who go onto HockeysFuture and look at our prospect ratings and say "They need to draft a goalie" have never watched either of them in their lives.

Whether we get even an average starter out of either of them remains to be seen....but goalie is far from our weakest link in the organization. When your third string prospect is looked at by other fanbases to be a potential number 1 goalie, it's probably better than people give credit for.

Get your head in the game!Honestly, I just can't stress enough how much it doesn't matter, and how much I don't care whether Ramo or Berra is worse (or better, if you're a glass-half-full type).

He's easily our top prospect. Gillies stock took a beating at the juniors. Not to say he won't bounce back from it, but he was playing with and against world class talent and looked out of place. To be fair, ortio didnt look stellar his first try in the ahl, but just saying he made lots of people say "uh oh" in that tournament. Likely cost himself a pro contract this season. Hell need to pick it up if he wants one next year. Im sure he will get one then though.

Whether we get even an average starter out of either of them remains to be seen....but goalie is far from our weakest link in the organization. When your third string prospect is looked at by other fanbases to be a potential number 1 goalie, it's probably better than people give credit for.

I agree that goaltending is not the weakest position in the Flames' system, but you can't base Brossoit being labeled as a potential #1 by Edmonton as a basis for your arguement.

It's Edmonton we're talking about here.

I agree that goaltending is not the weakest position in the Flames' system, but you can't base Brossoit being labeled as a potential #1 by Edmonton as a basis for your arguement.

It's Edmonton we're talking about here.

Come on Saxon! They won a game! Scrivens is the next Fuhr! Haven't you heard?  :P

Olivier Roy was just recalled from the Aces to Abbotsford. Anyone know what this is indicative of? Is one of Ortio/Macdonald hurt or might a trade involving one of our goaltenders be looming? I can't see Ortio being assigned to Alaska as he has been playing so well. 

We can only hope there's a trade coming.  Involving one of JMac, Berra, or Ramo.

I don't think we can afford to give up our goaltending prospects.  but the rest are expendable and it would be Fantastic if we got a return for any of them.

Olivier Roy was just recalled from the Aces to Abbotsford. Anyone know what this is indicative of? Is one of Ortio/Macdonald hurt or might a trade involving one of our goaltenders be looming? I can't see Ortio being assigned to Alaska as he has been playing so well. 

Troy Ward in one of his after game interviews recently talked about Joey Mac and Ortio. He said they were both playing well and both giving the team chances to win. This was after a loss he said it. I have not heard of any injuries to either of them.

Troy ward has mentioned he likes to run very uptempo and hard practices and there are home for the next two weeks or so with lots of days of in between so they'll be working very hard and practicing frequently as they typically don't get that opportunity due to travel schedules. I think Roy is there to keep goalies fresh in practice and for them to see him practice and work at he AHL level as they need to start somewhat of an evaluation process with him being an rfa this year.