Johnny 'Hockey' Gaudreau

s4xon

16 members have voted

1. 1. How many points will Johnny Hockey score in his sophomore season?

• 40-50
    • 50-60
    • 60-70
    • 70-80
    • 80-90
    • 90-100
    • 100+

This poll is closed to new votes

Off-base by maybe 4 to 6 positions, and a couple college players that likely never stick (contract eaters)...

People can say that it's off-base, and that they're unrelated trades, and that there's a host of other variables...and that it's ridiculous...

But the result is the same.  

A guy farted in the car.  His girlfriend turned to give him an angry look and in doing so drove the car off the road.  In another car 400 miles away a guy was driving after polishing off a 26 of rum.  He was so drunk he drove the car off the road.  

Farting in the car is the same as drinking and driving.  And the Flames traded Iginla for Ramo.  

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A guy farted in the car.  His girlfriend turned to give him an angry look and in doing so drove the car off the road.  In another car 400 miles away a guy was driving after polishing off a 26 of rum.  He was so drunk he drove the car off the road.  

Farting in the car is the same as drinking and driving.  And the Flames traded Iginla for Ramo.  

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D . Best analogy EVER. Basically what he is saying tho lol

• 3 months later...

Note:  Couldn't find the previous thread about JG, so started a new one.

s3m4xc.jpg

Facts:

• He's good, really good.
  • He found some chemistry with our new toy, Mono.
  • He's accomplished every possible height (pun :P) achievable every level thus far.
  • He's still small, but....
  • He's added some lbs.
  • He's added some height.
  • He's got 2 years remaining in the NCAA.
  • He really, really badly wants to play a year with his bro, bulk up some more, and grow.
  • He has stated he has no intention of holding out on the Flames to become a FA and sign with another team.

on the flip side...

• The Flames brass has outspokenly said they believe JG is ready for the bigs. 
  • They have also stated it's ok for JG to play another year in the NCAA, especially with family pressures of school and wanting to play with his bro. 
  • However, they have also outspokenly said in plain terms, they want him signed by the end of next season.
  • If not, there will be some tough decisions to make 

What lies in store for the small skilled LWer?  Poll Above.

Before I answer, big question:

How tall do we think he really is?  5'6, 5'7, or 5'8?

At 5'6, I am not sure if he will succeed in the NHL given his style (which does not actually compare with Fleury).  At 5'8, I think he can be a star.

Either way, when he makes it to the NHL, his stock will go down before it goes up, imho.   Similar to St. Louis, he is unlikely to have instant success.  Unless he plays a year in the AHL first.  For instance, like Cory Conacher.

Elite Prospects has him listed at 5'9.  HockeyDB has him at 5'7.  Hockey's Future has him also at 5'7.  The last 2 aren't usually up to date as quick as EP.

I don't know how tall Kristin Hallett is, but he's a bit taller than her without skates on. :huh:

n32e76.jpg

Elite Prospects has him listed at 5'9.  HockeyDB has him at 5'7.  Hockey's Future has him also at 5'7.  The last 2 aren't usually up to date as quick as EP.

I don't know how tall Kristin Hallett is, but he's a bit taller than her without skates on. :huh:

If you want a more likely up to date size.....

Boston College Website has him last year :

7b30ea170b3a98fef5de8a5a9c0ee5e6.png

Thx.....

Yeah, 5-9 sounds too good to be true.  

5-8?   Ok, I'll buy it.   It might be a bit kind, but I think it's fair to say that he's no longer 5'6.

I voted for 4 years, Flames, and "Star".  But I don't think he'll be a star out of the gates.  It will take a year or two.  

These poll results are quite interesting.  I'm surprised no one has said Johnny will finish his 4 years and split. 

I'm still on the fence between him finishing his 4 years and declining the Flames ELC, or him signing after this season. 

These poll results are quite interesting.  I'm surprised no one has said Johnny will finish his 4 years and split. 

I'm still on the fence between him finishing his 4 years and declining the Flames ELC, or him signing after this season. 

At this point in time, I still have faith that Gaudreau will be skating on the ice as a Flame in a few years...   Unless he is part of a trade such as the rumored deal for Seguin, and that did not pan out...   He has skill, and he has value...

da90a19d896e78e8fa2d2651de87dd70.png

At this point in time, I still have faith that Gaudreau will be skating on the ice as a Flame in a few years...   Unless he is part of a trade such as the rumored deal for Seguin, and that did not pan out...   He has skill, and he has value...

da90a19d896e78e8fa2d2651de87dd70.png

He certainly has both, but I do have to say he's the one player that has made me the most nervous for the Flames.  They need him....IF, and only IF he can top the the NHL (become star caliber), like he managed to do in the NCAA and world jr's. If he does, he's in for one helluva career, and it would be the icing on the cake if it was with the Flames.

He certainly has both, but I do have to say he's the one player that has made me the most nervous for the Flames.  They need him....IF, and only IF he can top the the NHL (become star caliber), like he managed to do in the NCAA and world jr's. If he does, he's in for one helluva career, and it would be the icing on the cake if it was with the Flames.

One thing I like about him is that even TSN recognizes his talent on occasion.  Not that I care what the talking heads say, but it is a change from the "What they signed Ollie again?". 

Although the odds are stacked against him, he is such a shifty player that he should be able to avoid the things that limit smaller players.  Add that to the bulking up that should come with age and full-time hockey life (training, nutrician, long season).  Think Martin St. Louis.  Well maybe that is a stretch, but given quality linemates, he could light up the NHL.

One thing I like about him is that even TSN recognizes his talent on occasion.  Not that I care what the talking heads say, but it is a change from the "What they signed Ollie again?". 

Although the odds are stacked against him, he is such a shifty player that he should be able to avoid the things that limit smaller players.  Add that to the bulking up that should come with age and full-time hockey life (training, nutrician, long season).  Think Martin St. Louis.  Well maybe that is a stretch, but given quality linemates, he could light up the NHL.

I can't wait to see him vs a Chara or a Myers.  Here's something to give you a glimpsing visual...

1003145_10151706246233704_1172781214_n.j

You made me shudder when you mentioned Ollie, but I'm not going to get into that again. :)

I really want to root Gaudreau, but I feel like there was the same level of hype for Nathan Gerbe and that didn't go exactly to plan, so part of me skeptical.

So call me cautiously optimistic

I'd say that's the best possible route.  No sense in getting hyped about a player that may not sign, nor make it in the bigs, however, at the same time hold on to some much needed positivity when you see this kid dangle and score. 

It's something special when a prospect can cause a crowd to go "wow" in unison wherever he plays.  And that's exactly what happened with Gerbe....but to be fair, he did have a decent season with Buffalo a few years back.

I really want to root Gaudreau, but I feel like there was the same level of hype for Nathan Gerbe and that didn't go exactly to plan, so part of me skeptical.

So call me cautiously optimistic. 

The Gerbe comparison keeps coming up because they are both small and they both played for Boston College.  But I don't think the hype level was the same for Gerbe.  Johnny put up a PPG in his freshman year.  He was close to 1.5 PPG in his sophmore year and was a Calder finalist (should have won).  Johnny is a fair bit ahead of Gerbe at the same point in their careers.  

That said I don't think you can be anything more then cautiously optimistic with a player that small.  Not until they have proven they can play in the NHL.  

He will finish his degree and sign with the Flames. Small possibility that he signs at the end of this year, not betting on it though. Personally I think its very remote that he tries to force the Flames to trade him or let him walk. The team has done everything they can for him and treated him well. I dont see him trying to walk away. 

Personally, I'd trade the guy's rights while the value is there. He has quite a bit of value, but the risk is also pretty big right now. If we could acquire a decent d-man in exchange for him, I'd make the move. That eliminates all this concern about him bolting to a better team, staying in school forever, being too small, etc. There is just a huge long list of reasons why this guy may not work out. I hope he does. But I'd just cash in on this pony before the race.

Personally, I'd trade the guy's rights while the value is there. He has quite a bit of value, but the risk is also pretty big right now. If we could acquire a decent d-man in exchange for him, I'd make the move. That eliminates all this concern about him bolting to a better team, staying in school forever, being too small, etc. There is just a huge long list of reasons why this guy may not work out. I hope he does. But I'd just cash in on this pony before the race.

He was quoted as saying he wanted to play on the Flames in 2014/15 if he was at a level to have an impact on the team.  If he makes the team on merit, sign him then play him in a sheltered role to start with.  The risk of bolting is small (like him).

Sure, he may not work out, but the pony could turn into Secretariat. 

I hear you goes and understand where you are coming from with your points.

It is a bit amazing to me, that one player "Justin Schultz" recently bolting from his drafted club, could put just about every other drafted college player in this catagory.

If the Teams were really worried about it they should have or could have changed the rules on how long teams get to hold the rights after they are finished with school.

I hear you goes and understand where you are coming from with your points.

It is a bit amazing to me, that one player "Justin Schultz" recently bolting from his drafted club, could put just about every other drafted college player in this catagory.

If the Teams were really worried about it they should have or could have changed the rules on how long teams get to hold the rights after they are finished with school.

Schultz is the highest profile guy.  But there have been a number of others.  Knight included.  That said, any drafted player has the option.  Either to return to the draft or go to free agency (depending on the age of the player).  NCAA players just show up more because you can't protect the asset by signing a contract early.  

I am not worried about him going to free agency though.  He is talking like he wants to sign a contract for next season.  

If he doesn't sign next summer then my concern level will go up.  

I agree with this. All the power to him is he makes it but I have more than enough doubts that I wouldn't hesitate at all to move him and get an asset in return. Obviously the value has to match but for the right return I'd move him in a second and would love to try and package him to get a younger dman or some wing help.

Archived