Western Conference Playoffs

conundrumed

AFP Analytics is projecting a 5 year x $5,298,541.67 contract for Nikita Zadorov.

If not Vancouver, I feel that several teams will offer close to that.

Brett Pesce is the same age as Zadorov and his projection is 5 x $6,261,780.00.

As for Tyler Myers; he is 34, and his projected contract is 2 x  $3,160,708.00.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JPtGk5m_S9VuR5e7T8lb_BlilXRwJPF0V2ddQzjjpvc/edit#gid=0

10 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Dallas is gonna really regret getting nothing on that 4 min PP. I think

that was bad...

Only saving grace is I don't think Dallas played very well, has started every series slow and it still took double OT for the Oilers to win. 

But credit the Oilers, they had a good game plan. Dallas is going to have to adjust their game I think becasue Oilers are taking away the middle of the ice in the d zone and Dallas was just throwing pucks at the net and hoping. 

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

that was bad...

Only saving grace is I don't think Dallas played very well, has started every series slow and it still took double OT for the Oilers to win. 

But credit the Oilers, they had a good game plan. Dallas is going to have to adjust their game I think becasue Oilers are taking away the middle of the ice in the d zone and Dallas was just throwing pucks at the net and hoping. 

Otter was sick the day before, so there may have been lingering issues.  I didn't see any in his play.  Maybe some of the goals were suspect, but he made other saves that were really good.  Hintz is missed for sure.  

I thought Dallas took over the game when they finally got back into it.  First OT was all Dallas and should have been the end of the game.  Some rookie play choices by Stankoven, I thought.  Wasted possession.

It seems that Dallas goes for dump and recover.  I think some of their shot choices were suspect; always from the outside, very little point shots direct from the middle.  

Two of my granddaughters are in an Oiler swoon, and pushing me to cheer for them.  I’m still on the fence, however putting local rivalries aside, it has been so many decades since a Canadian team won I am seriously considering it.  Since they seem finally to be playing as a team it is more amenable to think about, although I’m not sure I could live with their obnoxious fans….

28 minutes ago, cberg said:

Two of my granddaughters are in an Oiler swoon, and pushing me to cheer for them.  I’m still on the fence, however putting local rivalries aside, it has been so many decades since a Canadian team won I am seriously considering it.  Since they seem finally to be playing as a team it is more amenable to think about, although I’m not sure I could live with their obnoxious fans….

remember, @Heartbreaker was the one to predict it even before the Oilers turned their season around at the start of the season. He warned us!

Warrener pointed this out today. If you really want to see Oiler fans upset, cheer for them to lose in the final.

"peak sadness" he calls it. He would know, been there three times.

It is so heart-breaking because it takes so much to get there and it's so hard to get back. Even with the talent they have.

On 5/24/2024 at 10:05 AM, cross16 said:

that was bad...

I saw 2 instances of Johnson being open right in front of Skinner. Both times his teammates opted for weak, high shots that he couldn't possibly tip. Dallas just wasn't very sharp at finding their spots.

Oilers played well, Buster Hymen played really well, I thought.

I always hate to break it to Leafs fans. The Tavares signing impeded being able to re-sign Hymen. That's gotta hurt. Ahhh the things you could've done Dubas, rather than bask in sensationalism. TML seems to do things to delight their media as opposed to, you know, being pragmatic.

So they sign the Bertuzzi's and Domi's, hoping they're Hymen.

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I saw 2 instances of Johnson being open right in front of Skinner. Both times his teammates opted for weak, high shots that he couldn't possibly tip. Dallas just wasn't very sharp at finding their spots.

Oilers played well, Buster Hymen played really well, I thought.

I always hate to break it to Leafs fans. The Tavares signing impeded being able to re-sign Hymen. That's gotta hurt. Ahhh the things you could've done Dubas, rather than bask in sensationalism. TML seems to do things to delight their media as opposed to, you know, being pragmatic.

So they sign the Bertuzzi's and Domi's, hoping they're Hymen.

not to be a jerk but really everything to do about Toronto is sensationalism....and that's the kind of management they attract.   Nobody goes there who doesn't want to make big deal about themselves.

Oilers are dominating this game and so far have been better in this series by quite a bit. They were very prepare for what Dallas does and have done a nice job taking it away. Dallas looks slow. 

This is gonna be a good series. 

Teams are fairly evenly matched. Both goalies have played well.

Wonder what Hintz looks like when he returns.

McDavid is still very good, but he doesn't look completely healthy.

16 hours ago, cross16 said:

Oilers are dominating this game and so far have been better in this series by quite a bit. They were very prepare for what Dallas does and have done a nice job taking it away. Dallas looks slow. 

The 1st period didn't turn into a solid 2nd and 3rd.  Someone made reference that twice there were stretches in the game where EDM went 10+ minutes without a shot on goal.  I figured, after watching period 1, that EDM would get up a goal and DAL would struggle to tie it up.  DAL did struggle to get a goal, but it was the go ahead goal.

Several players and the coach all pointed to standards of penalty calls.  In other words, why they were not getting calls.  It's the 3rd round.  They are no free ones.  You are licky to get a call.  I find that there is normally one call each way early that is questionable.  After that you need to use an axe to get called.  Or a pretty obvious scoring chance taken away.

DAL needs to do what they did to McD and Drai this last game, and that is not let them attack the middle.  Sticks in lanes.  Get position.  Not let them cycle.

Beyond that, the Stars are not getting a ton of quality shots.  The first goal on the first shot should have given them a clue.  Keep the shots between the pad and the blocker/trapper, but mainly away from the glove.  How is Little Joe not able to deflect shots?  That was his greatest strength.

53 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

How is Little Joe not able to deflect shots?  That was his greatest strength.

I think we are watching the final games of Pavelski.

Awesome career. But it looks like the tank is either at, or near empty.

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I think we are watching the final games of Pavelski.

Awesome career. But it looks like the tank is either at, or near empty.

He's had his share of bumps and bruises but man...he's been effective until very recently.  maybe fell off a bit in March, could bounce back pretty easy.

I bet o=if Dallas wins the cup he retires though

One thing to note, since Markstrom shat the bed against them 2 years ago they have gone on to face Francouz, Korpisalo, Brossoit/Hill, Talbot/Rittich, and Silovs, and still lost 2 of those series and were on the brink of another, this is the first time watching Oilers playoff games in a few years where we can be reminded that good goaltending still exists and can win games.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sak22 said:

One thing to note, since Markstrom shat the bed against them 2 years ago they have gone on to face Francouz, Korpisalo, Brossoit/Hill, Talbot/Rittich, and Silovs, and still lost 2 of those series and were on the brink of another, this is the first time watching Oilers playoff games in a few years where we can be reminded that good goaltending still exists and can win games.

Before the Calgary series in 2022, they faced Quick. That was the last elite level play from Quick. He almost knocked out the Oilers. The 2-0 score in game 7 was flattering to the Kings.

Lots of weak goaltending ever since. Silovs exceeded my expectations. But we're still talking about .898

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Before the Calgary series in 2022, they faced Quick. That was the last elite level play from Quick. He almost knocked out the Oilers. The 2-0 score in game 7 was flattering to the Kings.

Lots of weak goaltending ever since. Silovs exceeded my expectations. But we're still talking about .898

Canucks showed some immaturity in that series with too many no-show performances.

This is one of those times where save percentage is a little misleading. Silovs Is the only reason the Oilers weren't up by 4+ goals after 40.

Him and Garland were the only Canucks that showed up to game seven imo

2 minutes ago, Sarasti said:

Canucks showed some immaturity in that series with too many no-show performances.

This is one of those times where save percentage is a little misleading. Silovs Is the only reason the Oilers weren't up by 4+ goals after 40.

Him and Garland were the only Canucks that showed up to game seven imo

I agree Silovs was good. Wasn't like Edmonton was facing elite level goaltending was my point.

I think he made himself quite a bit of money with his post-season though. Likely got himself a 2yr deal and an NHL job. 

A real missed opportunity for VAN though. In theory, they had a chance to end the 97/29 era.

29 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I agree Silovs was good. Wasn't like Edmonton was facing elite level goaltending was my point.

I think he made himself quite a bit of money with his post-season though. Likely got himself a 2yr deal and an NHL job. 

A real missed opportunity for VAN though. In theory, they had a chance to end the 97/29 era.

Fair enough.

I agree wholeheartedly with your last point. Golden missed opportunity.

• Like 1