Eastern Conference Playoffs

conundrumed

On 6/2/2024 at 8:48 AM, Addicted said:

Me too, this is their year.

Bennett's on fire.  Too bad he wasn't that player here....have no idea why he couldn't put it together in Calgary, but I love watching him now.

He was a late bloomer, so we gave up on him too soon.  

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I think he never would've bloomed here because we stuffed him down the depth charts and constantly moved him around.  He got to play 2nd line Center in FLA with Huberdeau and that brought him back to life.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Well should remember he asked to be traded (specifically his agent) and also they had a high chance of losing him in the expansion draft. Chose to take what was a pretty good deal rather than risk that. 

Flames did not do a good job in that development but don't think I agree they gave up too soon. 

21 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Well should remember he asked to be traded (specifically his agent) and also they had a high chance of losing him in the expansion draft. Chose to take what was a pretty good deal rather than risk that. 

Flames did not do a good job in that development but don't think I agree they gave up too soon. 

I remember all of that, but I was referring to what happened leading up to the trade.  What was he, a LW to Janko?  Played with Lucic?  Never really used him in a top 6 role.  Anyway, I didn't want to arbitrate the Bennett situation all over again, just saying that we never got to see the 28 year old Bennett.  

54 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I remember all of that, but I was referring to what happened leading up to the trade.  What was he, a LW to Janko?  Played with Lucic?  Never really used him in a top 6 role.  Anyway, I didn't want to arbitrate the Bennett situation all over again, just saying that we never got to see the 28 year old Bennett.  

I don't think we would've either, he needed the change.  I think both sides contributed to the issues here, I know people think he needed to be handed top 6 and everything but we need to remember the biggest criticism early in his career was bad offensive zone penalties and a coach can't just let that slide.  Sometimes you benefit from change of scenery and sometimes you get burned.  Regular season Bennett in Florida is better than regular season Bennett in Calgary, but still an average producer.  Playoffs is his time and the more I think back on that BOA I can say I wish we had a healthy Tanev, but also wish we still had playoff Bennett.

On 6/3/2024 at 1:18 PM, sak22 said:

I don't think we would've either, he needed the change.  I think both sides contributed to the issues here, I know people think he needed to be handed top 6 and everything but we need to remember the biggest criticism early in his career was bad offensive zone penalties and a coach can't just let that slide.  Sometimes you benefit from change of scenery and sometimes you get burned.  Regular season Bennett in Florida is better than regular season Bennett in Calgary, but still an average producer.  Playoffs is his time and the more I think back on that BOA I can say I wish we had a healthy Tanev, but also wish we still had playoff Bennett.

His most frequent linemates were Dube, Lucic and Janko.  I think, given a better combined effort in coaching and player himself, he would be what he is in FLA.  It's not like he is a consistent 30 goal scorer.  Sutter wiped the slate clean but really he just said, show me what you got wherever I play you.  Probably too late at that point.

Really I am just guessing that sometimes a player ends up exactly where he would have been if he stayed.  The point is true about exposing him in the draft, but in hindsight we should have traded or exposed Dube.

On 6/4/2024 at 9:36 PM, travel_dude said:

His most frequent linemates were Dube, Lucic and Janko.  I think, given a better combined effort in coaching and player himself, he would be what he is in FLA.  It's not like he is a consistent 30 goal scorer.  Sutter wiped the slate clean but really he just said, show me what you got wherever I play you.  Probably too late at that point.

Really I am just guessing that sometimes a player ends up exactly where he would have been if he stayed.  The point is true about exposing him in the draft, but in hindsight we should have traded or exposed Dube.

And that is why Lindholm said, play me at center and center only, and I will play center. If I get moved around I will play RW. 

Bennett didn't get enough time with line mates or at one position to gel or get comfortable at C.

I don't really like line shuffling very much. I get that everyone is playing "the system" and should be able to move around the lineup, but players have their own tendencies or vision and sometimes those work with some more than others. Not only that, the skills levels differ.  IQ. 

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

And that is why Lindholm said, play me at center and center only, and I will play center. If I get moved around I will play RW. 

Bennett didn't get enough time with line mates or at one position to gel or get comfortable at C.

I don't really like line shuffling very much. I get that everyone is playing "the system" and should be able to move around the lineup, but players have their own tendencies or vision and sometimes those work with some more than others. Not only that, the skills levels differ.  IQ. 

I found Bennett never got away from his junior tendencies here, and that was to bowl everyone over at C.  Enter the zone by overpowering the D.  Works in junior but not NHL.  He, like Dube tried that on the wing as well.  Dube learned from it, but was still getting plastered.  Bennett learned from that in FLA, but also wasn't always the one carrying the puck.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter.  I cheered for his team.  He plays an important role.  He won't ever get to Tkachuk numbers, but he is a good guy to have.

12 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I found Bennett never got away from his junior tendencies here, and that was to bowl everyone over at C.  Enter the zone by overpowering the D.  Works in junior but not NHL.  He, like Dube tried that on the wing as well.  Dube learned from it, but was still getting plastered.  Bennett learned from that in FLA, but also wasn't always the one carrying the puck.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter.  I cheered for his team.  He plays an important role.  He won't ever get to Tkachuk numbers, but he is a good guy to have.

yup, I think though, he tried to play the way the line he was on, if fourth, play they mucker. But when up the line, he didn't get enough time with Backlund to start, then with Johnny, and little to no time with Tkachuk.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2024 at 10:12 AM, The_People1 said:

I think he never would've bloomed here because we stuffed him down the depth charts and constantly moved him around.  He got to play 2nd line Center in FLA with Huberdeau and that brought him back to life.

I agree all of that is true, but I also believe some players need the shock of a trade to realize they have got to smarten up and transform their play to what the team needs.  We see that all the time, its kind an unfortunate aspect of the world today...