Realistic (and unrealistic) Trades - 2024 Edition

travel_dude

14 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

So much non-sense.  "Blow it up" means does not want to eventually make great trades and signings?  Kekistan bro.  We want to do it all, just like FLA.  Start with a blow up, and then evolve the team forward.  Does FLA get to the Cup Finals without starting with Ekblad/Barkov?  Likely not.  FLA is actually pro-Blow it up.  An example of how to start from a tank and end up Cup Finals (and probably wins it this year)

...and not to mention they are playing against the definition of Tankasaurus in the Cup Finals.  Sheesh.

Edmonton was just horribly run, not intentional, they legit thought Sam Gagner and Andrew Cogliano were going to lead them to greatness, and who can forget the legend of Robbie Schremp, they thought they had the young pieces even before Taylor Hall.  Tank = intentionally being bad, teams don't go through coaches, gms like they did if they are all just going according to plan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

The Florida Panthers making a run to the Cup Final two years in a row has to be the worst thing to happen to the blow it up crowd. Florida has 3 of their own picks on this team (Barkov, Lundell and Ekblad) the rest of the team was brought in via trade, signing or waiver claim.

Now I am not saying that the blowing it up isn't an effective way to build a contender, in fact it is probably the best way to build a contender. I am just a realist and I don't think you will ever see full tear down like SJ or Chicago are doing in Calgary. So I just don't see the point in beating a dead horse and getting my hopes up waiting for a tear down. 

Instead I think you will see moves that make the eam better today and tomorrow. I think they will continue to be smart with pending UFA's, but I don't think they are going to move guys with term like Kadri or Weegar, nor do I think will get much anything for them if you did try and trade them. 

Right now I think this team's core Consists of Kadri, Huberdeau, Weegar and Backlund, at least till some younger players arrive and start subplanting those players as part of the core. 

I think you are stating what the team will not try to do, and in that I agree that is what we are going to do.  The listed core is probably accurate, though I think Backlund is only there because he's the captain and Mr. Stability.  I don't see a prolonged initial re-tooling.  I think we will see measured moves.  Goaltending and D replacement, with a sprinkling of F replacements.  That has to happen since we are not a good team at present.  But I think that revolves more around replacing Dube and Mange.  Seeing if we can land a soon-to-be #1C.  Evaluating the prospects and rookie F.  Huberdeau does not have to be the top LW, if he can perform a needed role on another line.  Backlund is the default 3C and one of the ice time leaders because we don't have anyone yet stepping up.  The 4th line is a bit of spare parts. 

The D is even more critical due to the trades of 3 top 4 D.  We have a few good players but we need to figure out what is missing from the pairs or overall skills.

We need to see what we have in our current 2 and 3 goalies.  Markstrom has to go, since he is blocking full use of the 2 and 3 guys.  Do we have a Skinner and Campbell or a solid pair?  We won't know right away, but we have to find out over the next 1-2 years.    

14 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

I wonder if the new plan as rumoured to be is to be playoff ready for 2027 season with the new arena…wouldn’t it be prudent to also take on some bad contracts that are 2 years or less? Adds some draft capital what with 20 mil extra may as well right? 

It would be smart to weaponize cap space to gain picks and prospects.  Like what MTL did to BT when he got desperate.  We could take on someone's cap dump for a 1st round pick.

54 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Edmonton was just horribly run, not intentional, they legit thought Sam Gagner and Andrew Cogliano were going to lead them to greatness, and who can forget the legend of Robbie Schremp, they thought they had the young pieces even before Taylor Hall.  Tank = intentionally being bad, teams don't go through coaches, gms like they did if they are all just going according to plan.

This is the correct response.

The '06 Oilers went to the Stanley Cup Final on the back of Chris Pronger, who was powered by Earth's yellow sun. That summer, they didn't realize that they were not contenders at all once he was gone. That's when the team fell apart. They went down the tubes earnestly, and Taylor Hall was supposed to be the light at the end of the tunnel.

Love.

1 hour ago, sak22 said:

The Oilers went through two rebuilds.  The second came after the first one you mentioned failed.  The second rebuild they got McDavid and Draisaitl.

3 hours ago, JTech780 said:

The Florida Panthers making a run to the Cup Final two years in a row has to be the worst thing to happen to the blow it up crowd. Florida has 3 of their own picks on this team (Barkov, Lundell and Ekblad) the rest of the team was brought in via trade, signing or waiver claim.

Now I am not saying that the blowing it up isn't an effective way to build a contender, in fact it is probably the best way to build a contender. I am just a realist and I don't think you will ever see full tear down like SJ or Chicago are doing in Calgary. So I just don't see the point in beating a dead horse and getting my hopes up waiting for a tear down. 

Instead I think you will see moves that make the eam better today and tomorrow. I think they will continue to be smart with pending UFA's, but I don't think they are going to move guys with term like Kadri or Weegar, nor do I think will get much anything for them if you did try and trade them. 

Right now I think this team's core Consists of Kadri, Huberdeau, Weegar and Backlund, at least till some younger players arrive and start subplanting those players as part of the core. 

trick is, they gained Barkov and Ekblad... they did draft high draft which really is a good argument for a rebuild. They drafted 2nd overall Barkov, and  1st overall...  Trades happen, and who did they deal to get the team? 

38 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

The Oilers went through two rebuilds.  The second came after the first one you mentioned failed.  The second rebuild they got McDavid and Draisaitl.

I don't find either of them was intentionally being bad, you don't sign Dustin Penner's as RFAs if you are not trying to make the playoffs, they were injecting youth into the lineup quickly, but they were still trying every avenue to make their team good, just failing at most avenues.  But even after drafting Hall adding him with Eberle was going to turn things around quickly, both of those guys barely lasted in the McDavid era.  I understand seeing the Oilers where they are now and wanting to try following that route, I will never give the people like Katz, Lowe, Tambellini, MacT, or Chiapet any credit for it.  It was no strategy just one good decision to take Leon instead of Bennett and luck to win a lottery with the 3rd best odds, just imagine where they are if they took Tkachuk instead of Puli or almost anyone besides Nurse.

6 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Hey, I loved Cambrian Heights. lol

But after 18 years, this guy kinda nails it. lol

SRV’s “Couldn’t Stand the Weather”.
I love the song but disagree about the weather.

When I first moved to Calgary in November 1977, it was very common to have 4 – 6 weeks of -30C (not counting windchill) in January and February.

This last 10 years, it has seldom dropped below -25C for even 2 weeks.

3 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

When I first moved to Calgary in November 1977, it was very common to have 4 – 6 weeks of -30C (not counting windchill) in January and February.

I live somewhat north of the city (yeah, you know where :) ) and I haven't been able to figure out what the weather is supposed to be here.  One year surprisingly warm spring, even as early as February.  April in the high 20's.  And this is after a two week stretch in December of minus 40's.  No windchill to speak of.  Dry as dirt last year and we have had more rain since the winter ended this year than I can remember.  

I look at the record highs on a given day and they are in this decade.  The record lows are maybe a year prior to the record high.  

Calgary is more impacted by wind off the mountains, so even less easy to get a handle on what is normal.  The El Nino and La Nina effect doesn't just impact one cycle.  I come from the other coast and have a lot of memories of very different winters and springs.  As a kid, you never asked for a sled for Christmas, because it rained most of the time on December school break.  Then as a young adult, I went through winters with weekly snow storms of 20 cm or more.  

So Stevie Ray could have renamed it Can't Figure Out the Weather.  

9 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

I grew up with hot summer nights where you're in shorts and t-shirt from mid-June until mid-Sept. In AB, never pack your hoodies away. It was more that than the cold winters. Plus, the very first time I went to Stampede was '97. I had inspected a bunch of rides, so everything was free passes for 4 of us. It snowed.lol

On a side note, a couple of those "rides", would have been rides alright. I condemned them, and they were completely replaced, which I oversaw. I was absolutely shocked that the owners weren't angry, they were over-the-moon. lol

4 VIP passes for everything, all 10 days. So that was opposite of what normally happens when you shut down someone's livelihood. lol

Take this with a grain of salt. I think it would be funny though. Louie is such a Oilers homer. He would be so conflicted.

The Flames need to trade a winger. Especially if they’re adding a UFA. I also have a hard time placing Rooney right now. Huska loves him, so he’s gonna play. I just don’t see a natural fit for linemates with him.

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Take this with a grain of salt. I think it would be funny though. Louie is such a Oilers homer. He would be so conflicted.

The Flames need to trade a winger. Especially if they’re adding a UFA. I also have a hard time placing Rooney right now. Huska loves him, so he’s gonna play. I just don’t see a natural fit for linemates with him.

Flames have been linked to Debrusk in trade rumours for a long time.  It wouldn't surprise me to see the Flames target him this summer.  Let's just hope he comes cheap.

21 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

19 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Flames have been linked to Debrusk in trade rumours for a long time.  It wouldn't surprise me to see the Flames target him this summer.  Let's just hope he comes cheap.

Louie was rooting for his kid in BOS, and also when they played in EDM.

He found it difficult to criticize BOS that game.

Debrusk isn't a bad target, but he is another LHS; does play both wings.

He's like a Coleman, so not a bad idea.

We just can keep guys like Mangiapane if we sign JD.

Honestly, I have trouble with the lineup pieces.

Guys like Pelletier, Zary, Pospisil, Rooney, Hunt, Duehr, etc.

Could construct a lineup, but to what end?

Just to ice a team or at least compete?

What type of team are we building?  

Fast, tough, possession beasts, defensive?

Comparing us to FLA, we are short a couple of C's and deep D.

So, building that out while solidifying the goaltending (not replacing).

I'd be fine with DeBrusk, but we have to flip him at TDL. Get ufa's we can flip for solid credits and build what you want to build. We shouldn't worry about handing out 5 year deals right now. Short term, older players that we can flip for assets.

Nobody builds teams in FA. Use it to compile assets. DeBrusk is a 3rd line winger. So is Mangiapane, so what's the point unless you're moving Mangiapane?

Another question. Should we sign bonafide 4th liners like Christian Fischer, or is that where we develop prospects?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I'd be fine with DeBrusk, but we have to flip him at TDL. Get ufa's we can flip for solid credits and build what you want to build. We shouldn't worry about handing out 5 year deals right now. Short term, older players that we can flip for assets.

Nobody builds teams in FA. Use it to compile assets. DeBrusk is a 3rd line winger. So is Mangiapane, so what's the point unless you're moving Mangiapane?

Another question. Should we sign bonafide 4th liners like Christian Fischer, or is that where we develop prospects?

I agree about short term deals.

If we are signing JD, then Mangiapane has been moved.

If we ended up with a top 6 player in another trade, then we have to be smart.

Pospisil or Zary can play with Backlund.  

I like Fischer, so that's not a if/or question.

I haven't been able to figure out how to use Pelletier.

A 4th line with him, Schmidt and say Fischer might be interesting, but weird.

Or maybe it's genius.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Honestly, I have trouble with the lineup pieces.

Guys like Pelletier, Zary, Pospisil, Rooney, Hunt, Duehr, etc.

Could construct a lineup, but to what end?

Just to ice a team or at least compete?

What type of team are we building?  

Fast, tough, possession beasts, defensive?

Comparing us to FLA, we are short a couple of C's and deep D.

So, building that out while solidifying the goaltending (not replacing).

I’ve got a tough time slotting Rooney right now. Huska likes him, so he’s gonna play. I’ve got a hard time finding linemates for him. I don’t like the idea of playing Pelletier/Coronato with him. Maybe you play him on the Backlund line. Use it as a checking line.

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I’ve got a tough time slotting Rooney right now. Huska likes him, so he’s gonna play. I’ve got a hard time finding linemates for him. I don’t like the idea of playing Pelletier/Coronato with him. Maybe you play him on the Backlund line. Use it as a checking line.

I know the GM hates to override the coach, but sometimes you have to.  Trade him for nothing if he isn't helping you win games or develop other players.  You want a big dude to protect your goalie and young guys?  Play Klapka.  

So the thing you might consider is that Zary/Pospisil may be ready for their own line with a good C.  Use Kadri with Pelletier and Coronato.  Backlund becomes the 4th line without calling it that.  5v5 the lines play almost equal.  Special team decides the extra minutes.  For that to work, you need a C that is young like Zary.  Target one in the Markstrom trade.

If that is the plan.

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Who would sign here for 1 year just to get moved at the TDL?

18 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I implied 3 or less. Or at least I meant to. Aging vets that hold value to flip. Happens frequently. We have to be in on that game, too.

Ya the best signings would be 30+ who want a 1-year "prove it" contract and believe they can get ice time here to pump their stats.  They need to sign with the understanding that they are a TDL asset.  No NTC or anything.  They would also be traded to a Cup contender so it's win-win.

8 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ya the best signings would be 30+ who want a 1-year "prove it" contract and believe they can get ice time here to pump their stats.  They need to sign with the understanding that they are a TDL asset.  No NTC or anything.  They would also be traded to a Cup contender so it's win-win.

Not to keep going back to ANA, but Frank Vatrano? Now you're in the last year of 3 @ $3.65, and he's coming off of 37 goals/60 pts. Win/Win for both sides.