Realistic (and unrealistic) Trades - 2024 Edition

travel_dude

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Yes that is true.

They may issue a QO. I think it’s a case for Okhotiuk where he can go home and make more money. In the NHL he’s likely making his QO, or league minimum.

I don’t think we see him back in NA, unless his game takes significant strides.

Not a big loss at all.  I thought he helped us lose a few games.  Maybe a 3rd pair in SJS, but should not be in CGY.  He loses his IIHF eligiblity as a result of the signing.  Like most Flames that are in Russia, we doubtfully ever see him back.  

19 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Not a big loss at all.  I thought he helped us lose a few games.  Maybe a 3rd pair in SJS, but should not be in CGY.  He loses his IIHF eligiblity as a result of the signing.  Like most Flames that are in Russia, we doubtfully ever see him back.  

Clears up a bit of a log jam. Tons of 6/7 D will be battling in camp.

Hanley, Solovyov, Kuznetsov, Poirier.

I think Hanley fills the Oesterle role. He will probably spend most of his season with the Wranglers. I am really curious to see what Poirier can be as an NHLer. Think we would have seen him if it weren't for injury. He has a skillset that could help the power play. I think the organization has Solovyov ahead of Kuznetsov on the depth chart. I would like a longer look at him too.

Edit- forgot about Grushnikov. Miromanov and Pachal should be fighting for minutes too. Tons of depth D in this organization right now.

Meh, if you wanted to get a look at a player that you thought might be a fit in your organization and it costs a 5th you go for it. It didn’t work out, but sometimes you have to take a chance.

11 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I think the loss is in the 4th they paid for him; I think is what they meant... by the loss? I mean wasted trade.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

I think the loss is in the 4th they paid for him; I think is what they meant... by the loss? I mean wasted trade.

5th this year, 131st oa. Acquired in the Z trade from Van via Hawks. So we still have Van's 2026 3rd rder from that trade. Too bad the dude has the, "more money in the K" option, but so it goes. It was likely worth the swing if your pro scouts really liked him.

They likely knew the risk. I'm not sure if you can really fault anyone. Bummer it didn't work out, but not a big deal.

If it did, you're a genius, so that's the fun of taking low cost risks.

Until, of course, the 131st this year goes god-mode. Then we can all pretend that we would have taken him there.

All part of the fun!!

19 hours ago, cross16 said:

That trade made no sense when they made it and now it’s a real head scratcher. 

it’s only a 5th rounder so nothing upsetting but a little frustrating for sure 

I'll agree, despite this being my beloved Conroy.  

I'm glad it happened before the draft, so Conroy has a better feel of who to listen to on what.

I do worry a little bit that Conroy is big on the Dallas model and thought if we just acquired a bunch of random D prospects, we wouldn't have to worry about all the great D available in the first round (or Tij for that matter) and just draft a Center 1st overall.    I have no idea, this is beyond speculation.    But two questionable 1st round decisions in a row would end my unwavering support in a hurry.

The counter-view, however, is:   acquire a handful of cheap young d-men.     See what sticks.  If even one of them stick, it was worth it.   That strategy I support in theory 100%.   in theory.

21 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I'll agree, despite this being my beloved Conroy.  

I'm glad it happened before the draft, so Conroy has a better feel of who to listen to on what.

I do worry a little bit that Conroy is big on the Dallas model and thought if we just acquired a bunch of random D prospects, we wouldn't have to worry about all the great D available in the first round (or Tij for that matter) and just draft a Center 1st overall.    I have no idea, this is beyond speculation.    But two questionable 1st round decisions in a row would end my unwavering support in a hurry.

The counter-view, however, is:   acquire a handful of cheap young d-men.     See what sticks.  If even one of them stick, it was worth it.   That strategy I support in theory 100%.   in theory.

You should highlight your sarcasm, since it makes it harder to follow without it.

I thought Okho might bring some of the meanness we lost from losing Gudbranson. 

He played 9 of 20, but he wasn't that good in what I saw.

I'm not sure what logic was being used to evaluate him.

Throwaway games and he eats popcorn?

Perhaps he wasn't good enough to bother with?

I don't think trades always preview what the draft strategy will be.

One of the advantages of trading for a D "prospect" is that they are in their development.

Less raw than an 18 year old in junior or whatever.

Like getting Bzrust.  He's not 100% raw.

Yah, I know another RHS RD.  

So, I don't think it impacts this year's draft.

6 hours ago, jjgallow said:

@Kulstad  is there a button on here I can use to highlight everything I've ever written?

Ahh! Excellent! It's time for some more JavaScript!

You can run this in your console, and you'll see your posts highlighted.

var authors = Array.from(document.querySelectorAll('h3.cAuthorPane_author strong a'))

authors.forEach((author) => {
	if (author.innerText === 'jjgallow') {
		author.style.color = 'springgreen';
		author.style.fontSize = '36px'
	}
});

Love.

• Haha 1

It was purely speculation, but Jeff Marek mentioned the idea of Calgary trading for Tanner Jeannot today.

Pending UFA. 1yr at 2.6 left. Hasn't really been a fit, after TB almost traded an entire draft class to acquire him. Tampa really needs to clear space, they likely wouldn't be looking to take back any money.

Marek's idea was to add a little edge and toughness to the Flames, while they continue to inject youth into the lineup.

I can see the appeal for the Flames, but I wouldn't be giving up any draft picks for him. This is a player that has shown he can score 20, but he has scored 13 goals in the past two seasons. 

The Flames have way too many wingers right now. I wouldn't offer very much for Jeannot. I'm of the mind that Calgary shouldn't really be moving picks for bottom end of the roster players. Calgary has a bit of a logjam of LD that project as bottom pair guys. I'd offer them Yan Kuznetsov for Jeannot. Might not be a downgrade for a team that trotted out Haydn Fleury. If the Flames paid more than a Kuznetsov or Solovyov, that's probably a mistake IMO.

17 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

Ahh! Excellent! It's time for some more JavaScript!

You can run this in your console, and you'll see your posts highlighted.

var authors = Array.from(document.querySelectorAll('h3.cAuthorPane_author strong a'))

authors.forEach((author) => {
	if (author.innerText === 'jjgallow') {
		author.style.color = 'springgreen';
		author.style.fontSize = '36px'
	}
});

Love.

Yikes.  Hopefully that only impacts his view of the posts.  The last thing I need is to see a whole lot of yellow on my screen.  It would be the equivalent of having JJ pee on my computer.  LOL

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Yikes.  Hopefully that only impacts his view of the posts.  The last thing I need is to see a whole lot of yellow on my screen.  It would be the equivalent of having JJ pee on my computer.  LOL

Oh yeah, it's just for him. If you want to do yours, you could change this line:

if (author.innerText === 'jjgallow') 

to

if (author.innerText === 'travel_dude') 

Love.

12 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

It was purely speculation, but Jeff Marek mentioned the idea of Calgary trading for Tanner Jeannot today.

Pending UFA. 1yr at 2.6 left. Hasn't really been a fit, after TB almost traded an entire draft class to acquire him. Tampa really needs to clear space, they likely wouldn't be looking to take back any money.

Marek's idea was to add a little edge and toughness to the Flames, while they continue to inject youth into the lineup.

I can see the appeal for the Flames, but I wouldn't be giving up any draft picks for him. This is a player that has shown he can score 20, but he has scored 13 goals in the past two seasons. 

The Flames have way too many wingers right now. I wouldn't offer very much for Jeannot. I'm of the mind that Calgary shouldn't really be moving picks for bottom end of the roster players. Calgary has a bit of a logjam of LD that project as bottom pair guys. I'd offer them Yan Kuznetsov for Jeannot. Might not be a downgrade for a team that trotted out Haydn Fleury. If the Flames paid more than a Kuznetsov or Solovyov, that's probably a mistake IMO.

I doubt TBL trades him for nothing.  They will get something good from a team thinking they need to be tough.  For him to be worthwhile for us, he would need to be a Tkachuk 2.0.  Score goals from 2 feet.  Draw penalties.  Reverse hits on cycle play.  

12 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I'm all for weaponizing cap space to gain more picks and prospects.  To simply move picks and prospects for Jeannot isn't the right move.  Not the right time.  He's a great player but probably for a contending team that's close to putting the finishing touches.

The one player the Flames should covet right now is Taylor Hall.  Mr. Lottery Pick Lucky Charm.  Bring home the Calgary boy.  I'm sure he wants to finish his career back home too.  1-year left at $6-mil.   If not this season, then sign him next summer as UFA.  Flames need to lock in those top 4 picks for the next 2-4 years.

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

The one player the Flames should covet right now is Taylor Hall.  Mr. Lottery Pick Lucky Charm.  Bring home the Calgary boy.  I'm sure he wants to finish his career back home too.  1-year left at $6-mil.   If not this season, then sign him next summer as UFA.  Flames need to lock in those top 4 picks for the next 2-4 years.

Dude. 🤣

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I'm all for weaponizing cap space to gain more picks and prospects.  To simply move picks and prospects for Jeannot isn't the right move.  Not the right time.  He's a great player but probably for a contending team that's close to putting the finishing touches.

My bet is he lands in Philly or NJ. The Metro is that division, for better or worse. They all do it. Let them. lol

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Wouldn't he put us closer to the playoffs and further from the lotto? We were already kind of around it a bit. Up and down, but close and then not close. 

32 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Wouldn't he put us closer to the playoffs and further from the lotto? We were already kind of around it a bit. Up and down, but close and then not close. 

I think he left out the /s.

Wait...I hope he left out the /s.

You just never know with this cat. lol

47 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

A soon to be 33 year old who only played 10 games last year and even when healthy is far from his prime.  He isn't helping many teams.  I think the People was alluding to the fact that Taylor Hall was part of an Edmonton team that won 2 lotteries, a NJ team that won 2 lotteries and a Buffalo team that won a lottery.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sak22 said:

A soon to be 33 year old who only played 10 games last year and even when healthy is far from his prime.  He isn't helping many teams.  I think the People was alluding to the fact that Taylor Hall was part of an Edmonton team that won 2 lotteries, a NJ team that won 2 lotteries and a Buffalo team that won a lottery.

Precisely.  Thank you.

Would Matt Dumba be worth signing to a one yr? Apparently he will be a UFA this summer. Could be traded come deadline.

He has been on quite the decline. Maybe ANOTHER change of scenery will help😆

Heard some interesting tid-bits on the radio today on the goalie market.

Jeff Marek show, was talking about Saros to LA. Believe it was Marek that said he believed the ask from NSH was Byfield. LA was probably wise to say no. Looks like it will take quite a bit to land Saros though. 

Greg Wyshynski was on with Logan Gordon in the afternoon. Said he spoke with Tom Fitzgerald after the Keefe presser. Said Fitzgerald told him that the Devils will improve their goaltending via trade.

Eric Duhatschek had a mailbag on the Athletic. He mentioned that he believed the Markstrom-NJ deal ended up falling through, in-part because Calgary really wanted Dawson Mercer.