Realistic (and unrealistic) Trades - 2024 Edition

travel_dude

53 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

could there be any appetite for taking the 1st rounder back from Montreal in taking on their Josh Anderson problem? 5.5 is a lot to pay, but they may want to get rid of him due to the Laine deal. 

maybe a middling prospect too? It's a lot of money to ask owners to take on. How long has he used LTIR in the past? Is LTIR paid by insurance? Just thinking ways around mitigating owners' obligations.

I’d think short term Conny would definitely consider eating that kind of cap for the right price, Montreal has been running a clinic on the draft the last couple years…they just have an endless abundance of picks it’s seems! I’d love to get our 1st Rd pick back from MTL, I think realistically we’ll load up on 2nd and 3rd picks, might be able to secure another 1st for 2025/2026 but we are low on high value assets after last seasons sell off. 

its a good question regarding insurance coverage for LTIR, MTL are getting up there against the cap and they’ll have a lot of high picks to consider paying and implementing in the lineup, moving forward they won’t be able to afford everyone. Not to mention when u stack some many high prospects there’s just not enough ice time to go around so trade request could be something MTL is up against with all those prospects. 

I went to school with Miki DuPont I’m not sure exactly what year his son Landon will be eligible to draft but that would be a cool full circle moment for the Flames. That kid likely goes 1st that year tho

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

could there be any appetite for taking the 1st rounder back from Montreal in taking on their Josh Anderson problem? 5.5 is a lot to pay, but they may want to get rid of him due to the Laine deal. 

maybe a middling prospect too? It's a lot of money to ask owners to take on. How long has he used LTIR in the past? Is LTIR paid by insurance? Just thinking ways around mitigating owners' obligations.

In effect, we would be getting the FLA pick back that would be theirs in 2025.  

The cap hit is no big deal.  His salary goes $7M, $5M, $3.5M.  It's still $15.5M which is a lot.

If we hung onto him until the final year, he might fetch something.

As a player?  I don't mind him that much.  Plays what used to be rough hockey.

Might save some wear and tear on Kadri.

Will fight.

Worth getting the 1st back?  Yup.  Get something for the extra salary?  Sure, but would best be a prospect that had waiver exemption.

6 hours ago, cross16 said:

This is a really good return for Nashville. Not a price I would have wanted the Flames to pay

SJ paid a lot but I get this move for them too. 

Wow NSH got a lot.  

If the Flames didn't already have Wolf, then I would've been for this deal.  Since Askarov was "just insurance" Incase Wolf fails, that changes things.  The Flames need to add a G wasn't as big as SJS.

6 hours ago, cross16 said:

This is a really good return for Nashville. Not a price I would have wanted the Flames to pay

I cannot believe the return.   If Askarov becomes the next great Russian NHL goalie, then that's one thing.  But as it looks now, Nashville nailed this trade.

17 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I cannot believe the return.   If Askarov becomes the next great Russian NHL goalie, then that's one thing.  But as it looks now, Nashville nailed this trade.

Might be time to give Mike Grier a call…he’s bailed out the Oilers and giving away assets in some leaky transactions of late

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

Essentially, they traded Hertl for Askarov.

Same player, same 1st rounder.

8 hours ago, travel_dude said:

In effect, we would be getting the FLA pick back that would be theirs in 2025.  

The cap hit is no big deal.  His salary goes $7M, $5M, $3.5M.  It's still $15.5M which is a lot.

If we hung onto him until the final year, he might fetch something.

As a player?  I don't mind him that much.  Plays what used to be rough hockey.

Might save some wear and tear on Kadri.

Will fight.

Worth getting the 1st back?  Yup.  Get something for the extra salary?  Sure, but would best be a prospect that had waiver exemption.

ya, maybe if we got all those picks back. Isn't there a 3rd tied up in the monahan deal too? 

We get the first that could be ours or Florida's, our 3rd and a prospect. Maybe they don't need to drop Anderson's salary that much. I'd do the first just to make sure it isn't ours and if we lost the pick, we'd be drafting 4th overall and Florida had a terrible injury riddled season that they miss like Tampa did one year, or Dallas.... 

some teams when they miss, they misss and throw in the towel, something good teams do, that the Flames never did. 

15 hours ago, cross16 said:

Former sniper for the Sting's Ty Voit, Nolan Burke!!

I had zero idea why Nashville gave him an ELC to begin with. Now it all makes sense. lol

I could score 50 with Voit and Pastujov just by keeping my stick on the ice. Then I'd be the one having a problem sticking in the ECHL.

Solid return for the Preds, really solid return.

If Askarov pans out, solid trade for both teams.

If not....well...that Vegas pick is unprotected so they can hope Vegas hits the skids, then realize that they sent it to Nashville. lol

9 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Former sniper for the Sting's Ty Voit, Nolan Burke!!

I had zero idea why Nashville gave him an ELC to begin with. Now it all makes sense. lol

I could score 50 with Voit and Pastujov just by keeping my stick on the ice. Then I'd be the one having a problem sticking in the ECHL.

Solid return for the Preds, really solid return.

If Askarov pans out, solid trade for both teams.

If not....well...that Vegas pick is unprotected so they can hope Vegas hits the skids, then realize that they sent it to Nashville. lol

The pick was unprotected when it was sent to the Sharks, but the Sharks protected it in the trade to Nashville.  I would imagine they hope Vegas implodes.

14 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The pick was unprotected when it was sent to the Sharks, but the Sharks protected it in the trade to Nashville.  I would imagine they hope Vegas implodes.

Ahh, missed that! Didn't have a chance to read much beyond the trade banner.

Should add, Cossa outplayed Askarov by a pretty good margin, although the Admirals beat GR in the playoffs.

Cossa's gotta be a couple of years away yet.

3 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

San Jose is building something pretty promising. 

Still a little thin in defensive prospects, but they look pretty good in net and up front.

Seem to be following the Oilers model, forget about Defense, load up on all the offensive stars you can.  Not sure who they have as vets, but this looks like another catfish team…

2 hours ago, cberg said:

Seem to be following the Oilers model, forget about Defense, load up on all the offensive stars you can.  Not sure who they have as vets, but this looks like another catfish team…

I would think San Jose still struggles for another couple seasons. Plenty of time to address the blueline in a meaningful way.

if not, you can always trade forwards for D. The argument for Edmonton taking Broberg in 2019 was that they needed D. They passed on Caufield, Zegras, Boldy. All were much better players. You can always trade forwards for D, if the BPA is a forward.

Down the middle with Celebrini, Smith, Bystedt and Lund.

Skilled power forwards with Musty, Haltunnen and Chernyshov. Eklund's a skilled forward. Colin Graf is a nice college ufa signing. Zetterlund is still just 25.

Mukhamadulin and Dickinson should be easy top 4 dmen. Wallenius was a great pick in '24. Out of Thompson, Havelid, Laroque and Furlong I would expect to hit on at least one.

The D prospects don't really look like the atrocity that their current roster is.

I do think they'd like to back away from the Vanacek signing. lol

So...while all of that looks pretty darn solid, it's important to remember that it HAS to come true. They have nothing left to trade, and their draft stock is whittled down to normal amount of picks. Right now, their roster is held together with the spit and bubblegum of short term contracts for a few years.

If this is the path we're choosing, we all better watch very closely after this season. $12mil in cap looks very enticing to rock July 1st next year. But if 4-6 of these names are crushing it for you, they're going to want contracts in the following 2 more years, all at once. The tightrope will begin.

God help you if offer sheets become normalized.

The alternative is most don't hit, then you've gotten nowhere.

12 hours ago, cberg said:

Well the vet issue can be resolved with FA anytime after they figure out what they have in their prospect pool.

usually only a few vets are the right mix for helping the  development of youth.  Cgy is fortunate in the way, pretty much all the vets are good with helping youth develop: Backlund, Kadri, Coleman and Weegar without question.  I think Anderson is looking like he may be good for that too.  TBH the only vet we have that’s not a fit for helping younger players along is Hubie, it’s not a knock on him as a person I think his personality would love to help younger players become better but his play style is not making other better, rather he’s better with better players.

I’m not 100% sold on having so many of these vets, moving forward, I think the vet ranks can be, should be and probably will be things out as their contract terms lower.  There are always tons of veterans in UFA…I mean had we started moving veterans out a year before hand I’m sure no one would have argued about maybe signing Stamkos as vet leader to help the young players out…that’s a big miss by management by starting 2023/2024 trying to make the playoffs instead of moving players at the end of 2022/2023.

either way, there will plenty of vets when needed in UFA when the time is right.  Having said this, the vets we have now are good to help develop the young guys in the line up now, it’s a gradual succession process which Cgy has never done but if owners let Conroy keep doing what he’s doing will pay high dividends for many years over with a team that can compete 

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Skilled power forwards with Musty, Haltunnen and Chernyshov. Eklund's a skilled forward. Colin Graf is a nice college ufa signing. Zetterlund is still just 25.

Mukhamadulin and Dickinson should be easy top 4 dmen. Wallenius was a great pick in '24. Out of Thompson, Havelid, Laroque and Furlong I would expect to hit on at least one.

The D prospects don't really look like the atrocity that their current roster is.

So...while all of that looks pretty darn solid, it's important to remember that it HAS to come true. They have nothing left to trade, and their draft stock is whittled down to normal amount of picks. Right now, their roster is held together with the spit and bubblegum of short term contracts for a few years.

If this is the path we're choosing, we all better watch very closely after this season. $12mil in cap looks very enticing to rock July 1st next year. But if 4-6 of these names are crushing it for you, they're going to want contracts in the following 2 more years, all at once. The tightrope will begin.

As it is, we have now $20M in cap space, and without taking into account guys that could be kept or get small raises, we have $35M the end of the year.  Kuzmenko and Mantha may be offered or traded.  Zary, Bahl and Coronato get new dals, which could be significant or minor increases.  Have to replace or re-sign Vladar.  It's a weird time to have all that cap.  I would hate to spend it on lesser players just to reach the floor, but it may allow us to take on a few bad deals for payment.  Even so, we stand to be not worse than we are today.  May even improve with new guys coming up the ranks.

6 hours ago, conundrumed said:

SJ’s spending all their cap space on a former PA Raider, next July 1

4 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

SJ’s spending all their cap space on a former PA Raider, next July 1

That would be a riot. It would make it very interesting to see how that would give those great young guys a "boost" in more ways than one.

Would you trade him if he hasn't signed by TDL?

JG situation jitters? I don't think they can if it's SC or bust, which I'd say it is. They're frozen until he re-signs, as the offer sheets proved. No matter how else they wanna spin it.

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

That would be a riot. It would make it very interesting to see how that would give those great young guys a "boost" in more ways than one.

Would you trade him if he hasn't signed by TDL?

JG situation jitters? I don't think they can if it's SC or bust, which I'd say it is. They're frozen until he re-signs, as the offer sheets proved. No matter how else they wanna spin it.

If they don’t get it done by opening night, I think there has to be real concern. 

Even if he stays, he’s 30 when the deal starts.  They’re gonna give 100+ to a guy that doesn’t skate very well and scores half of his goals on the PP. I get why they will do it, but it’s not one that’s going to age as well as 97. 

I’ll find a way to poke holes either way lol. They either lose him, or they have him until he’s 38. I guess he’s now engaged to an actress as well. She probably gets a big say in where he plays hockey going forward.

I was taking a gander at the D core both roster and non roster players, then I took a gander at the forward group (roster player only for the forwards) and notice a really odd shot demographic:

1. our D has a boat load of RSD and a few LSD but I’d say by eyeballing it, it looks like our D core is 60 or 70% RSD.

2. our forwards are all LS except one (Kuzy), this is a horrendous situation, hopefully they can find a few more RS forwards (Ctrs preferably).

This has me wondering if maybe a RSD could be used to land a RSC? Obviously it’s gonna be a more veteran D for a more prospect level Ctr but I can’t see much movement till TDL so it’s gonna be interesting and probably frustrating season…this situation could be problematic in terms of Kuzmenko’s trade value if other teams catch on that he’s the only RS forward, could make him a heavy D target which could limited his chances.

1 hour ago, MP5029 said:

I was taking a gander at the D core both roster and non roster players, then I took a gander at the forward group (roster player only for the forwards) and notice a really odd shot demographic:

1. our D has a boat load of RSD and a few LSD but I’d say by eyeballing it, it looks like our D core is 60 or 70% RSD.

2. our forwards are all LS except one (Kuzy), this is a horrendous situation, hopefully they can find a few more RS forwards (Ctrs preferably).

This has me wondering if maybe a RSD could be used to land a RSC? Obviously it’s gonna be a more veteran D for a more prospect level Ctr but I can’t see much movement till TDL so it’s gonna be interesting and probably frustrating season…this situation could be problematic in terms of Kuzmenko’s trade value if other teams catch on that he’s the only RS forward, could make him a heavy D target which could limited his chances.

We have a healthy number of RHS RD but we shouldn't think we have a surplus and start trading them away before some of these kids even materialize.  Parekh and Brzustewicz need at least one more year of development before they see NHL action.  This means we need Pachal and Miromanov all season.

Also, Weegar probably plays LD all season.

In terms of RHS forwards, yes, we need to address this but it's going to have to happen through the draft.

9 hours ago, The_People1 said:

We have a healthy number of RHS RD but we shouldn't think we have a surplus and start trading them away before some of these kids even materialize.  Parekh and Brzustewicz need at least one more year of development before they see NHL action.  This means we need Pachal and Miromanov all season.

Also, Weegar probably plays LD all season.

In terms of RHS forwards, yes, we need to address this but it's going to have to happen through the draft.

Maybe, it kinda depends on the youngster, there is zero need to rush them in that’s for sure, but if they happen to play well enough a move or two may bed needed.  Although I agree a year or two in the development system for D at their age is probably best and we do have plenty of RSD now.  I’d actually like to see another 2  LSD prospect in the prospect system.

our G seems fairly good both now and for the future.

Maybe Conroy’s game plan was build from the net out and the next few Drafts will be focused on RSC? With any luck, and maybe a RS RW or two, but hopefully he focuses on RSC.

LS - RS balance has it's place on D for sure. Advantages to be able to balance your pairing in terms of holding pucks in the zone, switches on PP etc. 

At forward I think it's very overrated because you have to take into account that many good shooters actually prefer their off wing.  So while you may want to get a RS RW, what if you have a good one who is a LS and prefers it? There is a deception element to a LS player utilizing the RS of the ice. 

As long as you have 1 RS center for important draws and 1 RS for PP flexibility I think you are fine. Past that doesn't really matter much and is more a question of roster construction and availability as opposed to which hand a player shoots.

On 8/26/2024 at 8:17 AM, cross16 said:

LS - RS balance has it's place on D for sure. Advantages to be able to balance your pairing in terms of holding pucks in the zone, switches on PP etc. 

At forward I think it's very overrated because you have to take into account that many good shooters actually prefer their off wing.  So while you may want to get a RS RW, what if you have a good one who is a LS and prefers it? There is a deception element to a LS player utilizing the RS of the ice. 

As long as you have 1 RS center for important draws and 1 RS for PP flexibility I think you are fine. Past that doesn't really matter much and is more a question of roster construction and availability as opposed to which hand a player shoots.

I would say at least one of the top 3 Centers on the team needs to be RHS and get ready to play 16-to-22-minutes a night.  Too often in the past, the Flames carried a 4th line RHS C just for face offs.  It's a waste.

Right now, we don't have this RHS C.

Next year's draft, only Roger McQueen is a RHS C in the top 20 (and right now ranked about #5 overall).  If the Flames are picking between 5 to 9, then that's right in range.  He's someone to keep an eye on this year.