Realistic (and unrealistic) Trades - 2024 Edition

travel_dude

20 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I wouldn't mind rolling the dice on the Oilers 2025/26 1st round pick.  Make it top 10 protected... And then rolls into 2026/27 unprotected.  Once Draisaitl and Bouchard sign to big money and then McDavid also re-ups next summer, honestly what money is left for the rest of the team?  The Oilers already struggling to sign support players and guys like Hyman, RNH, and Ekholm will be too old in 2/3 years.  The Oilers could theoretically miss the playoffs and finish bottom 10 back to back.  

I have a hard time believing that Drysaddle signs and stays in Coilerville, it makes ZERO sense long term. If you had to choose he or Mc Baby, you keep Mc Baby and hope you could recoup some good assets and pieces for Drysaddle. The can not stay competitive with signing both at the salary costs involved. Bowman saw this with CHi withToews and Kane, it was a disaster. 

18 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

If you have a chance to get Dawson Mercer you go for it and go for it hard. 

Cgy Dawson Mercer, Cam Squires (decent prospect)

Njd Njd 1st 2025, Jacob Pelletier

NJD 1st in 2025 and Pelletier?

2 hours ago, redfire11 said:

Yup no way we get a Dawson Mercer caliber C with the 2025 NJD pick. 

That sounds like a big underpay.

But I suppose that MTL traded 31st and 37th for Alex Newhook, so maybe a similar idea.

They threw in Gianni Fairbrother who is in the ECHL.

Maybe the fair equivalent would be NJ 1st + a 2nd (COL from WAS) plus Kuznetsov (AHL).

The trade tree would be cool:

CGY sends Markstrom reduced salary (31,25% retained) + 2nd

NJ send Mercer + Bahl

It leaves us with our own 2025 1st.

Not sure how I feel about losing the 2025 pick.  Having 2 oicks is ideal.

But the chances of getting a Mercer like player in a later round 1 pick are 50/50.

The funny thing about trading NJ their own pick is that it's a lotto protected pick this year.

We would be out a top 10 pick anyway (moved to 2026) or a pick between 11 and 32.

They have the money to do a bridge deal with him. Not sure how Mercer being traded rumours start flying. He has no arb rights, so NJ can just hold his rights.

I just don't understand why anyone thinks he's on the trade block. Fitzgerald has about 6 weeks before making a decision one way or the other.

A bridge would also help Mercer boost his value. I believe Bratt signed very late as an RFA also.

This looks like the hype machine trying to grind the clutch out of neutral. All for naught.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, conundrumed said:

They have the money to do a bridge deal with him. Not sure how Mercer being traded rumours start flying. He has no arb rights, so NJ can just hold his rights.

I just don't understand why anyone thinks he's on the trade block. Fitzgerald has about 6 weeks before making a decision one way or the other.

A bridge would also help Mercer boost his value. I believe Bratt signed very late as an RFA also.

This looks like the hype machine trying to grind the clutch out of neutral. All for naught.

Exactly. With players like this, ie players with no arb rights, it's extremely common for them to sit unsigned over the summer because the Devils hold all the cards. The only risk the Devils have is an offer sheet and Mercer is not a good candidate for that because it would take an over pay in assets for the Devils to even consider not matching it. 

Mercer has been very sought after, including from the Flames, in goalie trades from what I understand and the Devils have said no every time. They are not going to suddenly change their mind on that. 

Zero reason to think he's available

It would be fantastic to see Conroy weaponize his cap space to “help” the Oil.

Ceci and a 2026 1st for future considerations.

That leaves EDM without a 1st until 2027. Making it exceedingly difficult for them to bolster their lineup at coming deadlines.

On 8/15/2024 at 2:41 PM, travel_dude said:

So, a 22 year old C that has already had two seasons over 20 goals is wrong because we might win games?  And a couple of picks is too much to pay?  I don't know we could match the level of prospects they offer but I would counter with Coronato and Pelletier perhaps.

Bringing in Mercer would be more about the future than just winning games today.  It's about building out the C position for years to come.  I like Coronato and Pelletier, but if they result in a 22 year old C, then maybe it's the price to pay.  

I’m with you, as much as I like Coranato and Pelletier they are Wingers…Ctrs are far harder to get…and 22 years old he’s not even hit his prime, which is usually 25-27 so he’s 3-4 years away from that level so makes sense to get him…I’m of the mindset that Cgy should stock pile Ctrs if they end up with too many they are always in demand and can easily land a decent winger

On 8/16/2024 at 12:24 PM, cross16 said:

Exactly. With players like this, ie players with no arb rights, it's extremely common for them to sit unsigned over the summer because the Devils hold all the cards. The only risk the Devils have is an offer sheet and Mercer is not a good candidate for that because it would take an over pay in assets for the Devils to even consider not matching it. 

Mercer has been very sought after, including from the Flames, in goalie trades from what I understand and the Devils have said no every time. They are not going to suddenly change their mind on that. 

Zero reason to think he's available

It’s doubtful but NJD could get pinched for cap space from an offer sheet….granted not as bad as the Oilers but I think that’s the theory behind those rumours…having said that NJD wanted Markstrom really bad but wouldn’t let Mercer go in a deal

to get him, they clearly value him higher than a mid to late first round pick.

IMO they would be seeking at a minimum a top 10 pick 

in not sure about the dollars and pick compensation for N offer sheet on Mercer but IMO is probably more than a late to mid round pick so NJD is in a win win situation unlike the oilers 

11 hours ago, MP5029 said:

It’s doubtful but NJD could get pinched for cap space from an offer sheet….granted not as bad as the Oilers but I think that’s the theory behind those rumours…having said that NJD wanted Markstrom really bad but wouldn’t let Mercer go in a deal

to get him, they clearly value him higher than a mid to late first round pick.

IMO they would be seeking at a minimum a top 10 pick 

in not sure about the dollars and pick compensation for N offer sheet on Mercer but IMO is probably more than a late to mid round pick so NJD is in a win win situation unlike the oilers 

Re an offer sheet from the Flames, it would attach our 1st rd pick, which we can't do. That pick is in holding to Montreal.

If it were available, are we really in a position to give up what is likely to be a very high 1st + a 3rd?

I can't wait until that Mony-dump of a trade completes.

2 years of ex-GM haunting feels a bit like Holland leaving the Wings in buyout land.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2024 at 8:31 AM, Thebrewcrew said:

It would be fantastic to see Conroy weaponize his cap space to “help” the Oil.

Ceci and a 2026 1st for future considerations.

That leaves EDM without a 1st until 2027. Making it exceedingly difficult for them to bolster their lineup at coming deadlines.

The big irony in all of this is, according to reports , when the Oilers were trying to get Tanev ..they wanted to give us the first and Ceci's contract.. .. Connie wanted Broberg and the Oilers refused .  

Now they may be forced to trade Ceci and the first just to get rid of him.. 

36 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

The big irony in all of this is, according to reports , when the Oilers were trying to get Tanev ..they wanted to give us the first and Ceci's contract.. .. Connie wanted Broberg and the Oilers refused .  

Now they may be forced to trade Ceci and the first just to get rid of him.. 

Sharks let the Oilers off the hook 

San Jose has made 36 selections in the past four drafts. Did they really need a 3rd round pick that badly?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

San Jose has made 36 selections in the past four drafts. Did they really need a 3rd round pick that badly?

It's still kinda fait accompli. The Oilers can now overpay Broberg by a few more million than they had to, had they have paid attention to their RFAs.

Replacing Holloway with Podkolzin, doubling the money on Broberg, who's asked to be traded.

Fun little stir the pot exercise for a slow news week.

Last week on Oil Change:

What kind of moron would give Broberg that contract, he's barely an NHLer.

This week on Oil Change:

So happy we matched on Broberg, he'll be in our top 4 for sure.

It's been entertaining. Oilers now have nearly $2mil in cap.

Next year, they get to pay Grand Rapids goalie Jack Campbell $5mil over 2 years, so that'll be fun.

Can't really fault Grier. They're doing nothing for a while. A year of Ceci is meaningless.

10 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Really surprised all it took was a 3. Thought it would be a 2nd minimum. Don't understand why the Sharks just bailed the Oilers out. 

53 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

The fun picks up again...finally teams that aren't us grabbing headlines.

This is going to be a tough trade to make. I think this is Weeks jumping the gun because from what was out there last week it's not that Askarov has asked for a tarde he's just told the team he doesn't want to be in the AHL anymore, he wants an NHL shot. So Preds don't "need" to move him. 

but then an acquiring team has to be able to play him at the NHL level AND give up what would make the Preds happy. When they hosted the draft there were several rumors that the Preds were trying to acquire a top 15 pick using Askarov so the price will likely be high. 

On top of all of that Askaov only has 1 more year on his ELC so if things don't go we'll he's got the KHL negotiation tactic to use too. 

Interesting scenario

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Really surprised all it took was a 3. Thought it would be a 2nd minimum. Don't understand why the Sharks just bailed the Oilers out. 

Grier remembering the days he played there and wanted to help his old team out.

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

It's still kinda fait accompli. The Oilers can now overpay Broberg by a few more million than they had to, had they have paid attention to their RFAs.

Replacing Holloway with Podkolzin, doubling the money on Broberg, who's asked to be traded.

Fun little stir the pot exercise for a slow news week.

Last week on Oil Change:

What kind of moron would give Broberg that contract, he's barely an NHLer.

This week on Oil Change:

So happy we matched on Broberg, he'll be in our top 4 for sure.

It's been entertaining. Oilers now have nearly $2mil in cap.

Next year, they get to pay Grand Rapids goalie Jack Campbell $5mil over 2 years, so that'll be fun.

Can't really fault Grier. They're doing nothing for a while. A year of Ceci is meaningless.

Did I miss something?  I didn't see anything about them matching both deals.

Puck Pedia shows both deals included putting them $5.9M over the cap.

Just now, travel_dude said:

Did I miss something?  I didn't see anything about them matching both deals.

Puck Pedia shows both deals included putting them $5.9M over the cap.

after the Ceci move the Oilers could match both. Kane on LTIR and 1 player down to the AHL gets them below the cap. 

When, and maybe if, Kane got healthy during the season they wouldn't be able to activate him without making a trade (s). 

7 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Grier remembering the days he played there and wanted to help his old team out.

He actually gave them a usable piece in return too. 

don't get this at all for SJ. who were they bidding against? 

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

The fun picks up again...finally teams that aren't us grabbing headlines.

Interesting indeed.  I would've thought Askarov would be Saros backup this season as he eases his way into the NHL... But I guess with Saros extended long term, he doesn't see a long term future with NSH.  And obviously, the Flames should be interested.  Right now our eggs are all in the Wolf basket.

That said, NSH is capped out more or less.  I'm not sure what type of trade will work here because the Flames are in no position to trade away picks and prospects.  Yet, NSH can't take on salaries of Kadri or Andersson, or even Coleman.

41 minutes ago, cross16 said:

He actually gave them a usable piece in return too. 

don't get this at all for SJ. who were they bidding against? 

was the Podkolzin deal even that beneficial foe the Canucks?  Maybe minor downside, and just wanted to rid the player? 

2 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

was the Podkolzin deal even that beneficial foe the Canucks?  Maybe minor downside, and just wanted to rid the player? 

I believe he would be waiver eligible this year, hard to say he's a lock to make the club as he hasn't done much in either the NHL or AHL.

52 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Interesting indeed.  I would've thought Askarov would be Saros backup this season as he eases his way into the NHL... But I guess with Saros extended long term, he doesn't see a long term future with NSH.  And obviously, the Flames should be interested.  Right now our eggs are all in the Wolf basket.

That said, NSH is capped out more or less.  I'm not sure what type of trade will work here because the Flames are in no position to trade away picks and prospects.  Yet, NSH can't take on salaries of Kadri or Andersson, or even Coleman.

Having two NHL backup level (currently) goalies may not be the best way forward for us.  Wolf or Vladar could absolutely become a starter this year if they play their heads off.  Wolf has been a AHL starter.  Vladar has played closer to NHL starter.  Or there could be a 1a/1b mix here.

The other option is to make a play for Askarov and run three goalies.  25-30 games each.  Delays a decision on which to make starter, for now.  We have a possible trade chip to move at TDL.  Three goalies never seems to work out, though.  May be a bad situation to get into here.  Just an idea.