Realistic (and unrealistic) Trades - 2024 Edition

travel_dude

56 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I'm 10000% sure the Flames have nothing to even start a conversation.  But I do want the discussions just for Satoshi Nakamotos and giggles.

I'm 10000% sure everything is for sale, from all teams, all the time. You won't like the price, but sure, humour me type-thing. Great way to gage what team's think their guys are worth, too. Who doesn't love fishing?

Pospisil and Andersson 50% retained for #4? 

I don't want to trade Pospisil, but what could he fetch it in a package? Not saying he is the main part, but he's scratching the surface and is a player of somewhat significance right now. Just thinking, if he's the real deal or is he an injury away from being Ferland? I love the player, but can we max out his value in case? 

it's just a thought. 

Just now, robrob74 said:

I don't want to trade Pospisil, but what could he fetch it in a package? Not saying he is the main part, but he's scratching the surface and is a player of somewhat significance right now. Just thinking, if he's the real deal or is he an injury away from being Ferland? I love the player, but can we max out his value in case? 

it's just a thought. 

I probably overvalue Ras, but I think a top 2 RHS D should be worth the #4.  He's no Nurse.  But I really don't think the #4 would be available for just that or even including Pops.

2 hours ago, sak22 said:

I don't take much from the moves made as for the most part they took Sharangovich, Kuzmenko and Miromanov as current players, in 2 of the cases the teams were trying to get rid of them and the 3rd wasn't a current fit and was becoming less of one after the trade, just a fact that in many cases you need to take someone in a trade due to cap and contract limits, do I think any of those players or Kevin Bahl were instrumental in completing the deal on the Flames end?  No I don't, and just because Conroy will put the positive spin means nothing, saying you believe in someone always goes better than "meh we needed to take someone from their roster, he was agreeable from both ends".  But do I believe even with those guys that this is a team that is fighting for a playoff spot as is?  Also a no.

While we will never know the inside story, all of the players mentioned have upside potential and desirable features. Sharangovich and Kuzmenko have already proven their upside and value to the Flames and I’m betting the next two will as well.  Conroy has been batting at or close to 1000 and I’m looking forward to the draft and free agency to see what comes next.  

Just now, cberg said:

While we will never know the inside story, all of the players mentioned have upside potential and desirable features. Sharangovich and Kuzmenko have already proven their upside and value to the Flames and I’m betting the next two will as well.  Conroy has been batting at or close to 1000 and I’m looking forward to the draft and free agency to see what comes next.  

I especially appreciate the focus on building the D as they typically take longer to develop, and he has especially brought in right shots as they are harder to find and more valuable.

3 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Just looking at few players that could be available:

Connor McMichael - Washington doesn't have a ton of cap space and now they need to sign a goalie.

Bobby Brink - Philly is in a wierd position and Brink has arb rights.

Pavel Dorofeyev - Vegas is always in cap trouble and Dorofeyev has arb rights.

Marco Rossi - Minnesota is lost, and have said that Rossi is available.

Timothy Liljegren - RFA with arb rights, Toronto is going to be looking to move him.

Justin Barron/Jordan Harris - Harris is said to be available, Barron is eligible for waivers.

Kent Johnson - His name has been out there, but with Waddel taking over that could change.

Kirill Marchenko/Alexandre Texier - Both have arb rights and Columbus has a lot of RFA's to deal with.

Arthur Kaliyev - Has worn out his welcome in LA, there has been talk that they will non-tender him.

Martin Necas - Has arb rights and his name has been thrown out in the rumour mill.

Trevor Zegras - His name has been out there in the rumour mill. Not sure about the fit, but the skill is undeniable.

Barrett Hayton - Clear candidate for a change of scenery and has arb rights.

The only three I’ve investigated are Zegras, Necas and Liljegran.  The latter isn’t an improvement over what we have, while Zegras has incredible skill but seems more interested in the extra-curricular stuff… I’d be willing to take a chance on the later two to build a new core, though it may be a bit early.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Agreed, Parekh is high risk high reward.  Could be the next Erik Karlsson or could be the next Tony DeAngelo.  Range is big.  So it comes down to each team's draft philosophy.  Go safe or go big?

Problem is, even if he is the next Karlsson, that is debatable if that is an overall positive or not?  Sure he can score but his defensive ability is poor, and he hasn’t shown the ability or willingness to play differently.  

2 hours ago, sak22 said:

I'm 10000% sure the Flames have nothing to even start a conversation.  But I do want the discussions just for Satoshi Nakamotos and giggles.

That’s nonsense, but partially correct in that CBJ are not in the place needing 1-2 specific pieces to make a huge jump.

41 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Regarding Kylington:

Connie said this to TSN dude covering the Flames:

GQdmhBSW0AAfuAc?format=png&name=small

Stop yelling, like, omg.

We'll see how it goes, all this yelling is making it worse. Everybody, calm down. It's not your money. lol

56 minutes ago, cberg said:

Those two have been fine than we have they 5th to SJ for Otzinuik ( spelling) which was a total whiff.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I probably overvalue Ras, but I think a top 2 RHS D should be worth the #4.  He's no Nurse.  But I really don't think the #4 would be available for just that or even including Pops.

I agree, and really Nurse is a 9 million doallr Pylon. Christ Hamilton we paid 1st -15th overall and 2- 2nds, Than we traded him for Lindholm and Hanifin both returned us 2 firsts. Trading a top pairing RH D that eats 20 + minutes and can play all area is worth less than a unknown prospect, hmmm I could maybe a little sweetner.  Waddell likes D and he is good at finding them too. This is why I think he picks a D at the draft, Dickenson, Lev or Buium are his kind of Dman.  CBJ is short on good Dman right now, 2 years of Anderson with a little retained, Waddell most likely take a good run at some UFA D from his former team. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

I agree, and really Nurse is a 9 million doallr Pylon. Christ Hamilton we paid 1st -15th overall and 2- 2nds, Than we traded him for Lindholm and Hanifin both returned us 2 firsts. Trading a top pairing RH D that eats 20 + minutes and can play all area is worth less than a unknown prospect, hmmm I could maybe a little sweetner.  Waddell likes D and he is good at finding them too. This is why I think he picks a D at the draft, Dickenson, Lev or Buium are his kind of Dman.  CBJ is short on good Dman right now, 2 years of Anderson with a little retained, Waddell most likely take a good run at some UFA D from his former team. 

be interesting if the Flames could do blockbuster kind of moves. But it's just fun to think about 

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Agree on both counts.  

1 hour ago, tmac70 said:

Those two have been fine than we have they 5th to SJ for Otzinuik ( spelling) which was a total whiff.

Flames can still retain, we’ll see what happens.

4 hours ago, tmac70 said:

Rasmus Anderson 1 Million retained

Since a team can only retain on 3 players, does anyone know if Hanifin and Tanev's retentions expire after the Cup is awarded?  Or do things reset July 1st meaning we cannot retain anymore contracts until July 1st?

27 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Since a team can only retain on 3 players, does anyone know if Hanifin and Tanev's retentions expire after the Cup is awarded?  Or do things reset July 1st meaning we cannot retain anymore contracts until July 1st?

I think they cancel when their contract cancels? It would be my best bet, which is why owners were probably ok with it.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

I think because the current years salary has all been paid it doesn’t matter, as the financial commitments from the Flames ended for those players there is nothing left to retain, where Markstrom you are not retaining anything on the 23-24 season just beyond.  All just my belief I could be wrong.

6 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Stop yelling, like, omg.

We'll see how it goes, all this yelling is making it worse. Everybody, calm down. It's not your money. lol

I was having a heck of a time trying to ling the tweet.  I gave up and clicked on the image and just linked the image.  It was Connie yelling, BTW, not me.

14 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I'm 10000% sure everything is for sale, from all teams, all the time. You won't like the price, but sure, humour me type-thing. Great way to gage what team's think their guys are worth, too. Who doesn't love fishing?

Anytime a GM says they are open to moving their lottery pick it's basically GM speak for "sure if you want to come and drastically overpay me for this asset I won't say no".

I don't think there is anything the Flames could offer that would even get Waddell to stay on the phone. Maybe Wolf (and that would be your starting point), but that's it. 

14 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Ras + 28th? 

8 hours ago, sak22 said:

I think because the current years salary has all been paid it doesn’t matter, as the financial commitments from the Flames ended for those players there is nothing left to retain, where Markstrom you are not retaining anything on the 23-24 season just beyond.  All just my belief I could be wrong.

This is correct ..once the contracts are over the retention is done . So the only slot filled is now Markstrom for the next 2 seasons 

I’m of the thought process Mlt

may be looking to dump

some salary, maybe grab a 1st back for 2025 if we take on some of their older larger contracts that expire in 1-2 years? I see a few players that Mlt may want to move out…

maybe move Hubie to Mlt with retention, but no pick goes with him.

not sure if CBJ has that situation but worth looking at.

14 hours ago, robrob74 said:

it's just a thought. 

I'm not on board typically with moving pieces you don't have to move .. but everyone has a price .. I'd totally do this and really , It should be attractive to Ottawa 

A top 4 minute munching dman.. heck retain 50% and thats 2 years at just over $2M.. I'd include Pospisil just because he really is a Ferland waiting to happen 

18 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Agreed, Parekh is high risk high reward.  Could be the next Erik Karlsson or could be the next Tony DeAngelo.  Range is big.  So it comes down to each team's draft philosophy.  Go safe or go big?

I don't see this the same way because I don't agree with the notion that he "can't" defend. He's actually an above avg defender he just does it in less traditional areas. I see a lot of Adam Fox in Parekh. Parekh has work to do, no doubt but I don't think the starting point is that low. He defends very well up ice, keeps pucks alive, gaps well, he just struggles when it gets below the dots in his own zone. 

I'd love to have him personally.