Realistic (and unrealistic) Trades - 2024 Edition

travel_dude

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Maybe I am confused.  WAS got a 3rd for him.

WAS retained salary and CAR has to carry the rest.

What did we miss out on?

I agree.

I don't think a 3rd is good value for a 4 mill cap hit next year and a really problematic player. 

10 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Maybe I am confused.  WAS got a 3rd for him.

WAS retained salary and CAR has to carry the rest.

What did we miss out on?

if we had claimed him on waiver WE could have flipped him for a 3rd for cost of retention .. 3m one year .. big deal 

5 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

if we had claimed him on waiver WE could have flipped him for a 3rd for cost of retention .. 3m one year .. big deal 

That's a total cost of almost 5 million. 

That's poor value for a 3rd rounder IMO. Also think the GM might have been a bit busy to try and pull that off....

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Cheap add. Probably a player they like.

Book on him is physicality which I know is a skillset Conroy values. I thikn this is more about that than an upside play

At this point I'm convinced, that Calgary has become some kind of a russian colony  😉

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

Still such a weird approach to me....

Okay then.  Is it somehow going to be cheaper in the summer if they still want Markstrom or are they after bigger fish?  Yes, they got rid of a contract that was past this season, which I guess makes sense.  Trade younger goalie with a year remaining.  Give up an asset for an older goalie with term with worse numbers.  Bring in a stopgap goalie pending UFA to try out?  

8 minutes ago, cross16 said:

That's a total cost of almost 5 million. 

That's poor value for a 3rd rounder IMO. Also think the GM might have been a bit busy to try and pull that off....

Not to mention it would have taken up their last retention slot, which would have tied their hands on any deals today and at the draft.

10 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Still such a weird approach to me....

Devalue Holtz in the media.  Then tells the world they are hunting for goaltending in the offseason.  Very straight forward approach.  Very open and honest.  No playing games.

Flames on the other hand.  "we're still trying to sign him" and trade him 15 minutes later.

45 minutes ago, sak22 said:

How do you tear down?  Karlsson needed to hit 100 points to be tradeable with a lower retention, Burns needed plenty of retention just to move for minimal return, Jones needed a buyout, Vlasic is untradeable, Couture is untradeable, and add in the first 4 non playoff years the highest they've drafted in these years is 2020: 31st, 2021: 7th, 2022: 27th, 2023: 4th.  Not a great foundation to start on.  They should've traded Hertl 2 years ago instead of resigning, but hard to see any significant impact given the rental prices lately.

Are you suggesting they tried to tear down but just couldn't do it effectively?  The Flames are in a very similar situation with Huberdeau and Kadri.  Committed long term to win now but the team probably should go in another direction.

I mean, it's about being honest with your own team.  It's about intellectual honesty as Feaster use to put it.  I think if a team misses two straight playoffs with a veteran core, then it should be a wake up call.  It's time to rebuild.

7 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Devalue Holtz in the media.  Then tells the world they are hunting for goaltending in the offseason.  Very straight forward approach.  Very open and honest.  No playing games.

Flames on the other hand.  "we're still trying to sign him" and trade him 15 minutes later.

So what are they using for bullets to go big game hunting?  Holtz torn down.  UFA goalie and 2025 picks to use?  Mercer and Holtz used on 3rd and 4th lines.  2nd PP unit.   

6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

So what are they using for bullets to go big game hunting?  Holtz torn down.  UFA goalie and 2025 picks to use?  Mercer and Holtz used on 3rd and 4th lines.  2nd PP unit.   

I know I certainly dont want Allen or Kakkhonen back in any deal 

19 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I know I certainly dont want Allen or Kakkhonen back in any deal 

I mean I get if they want to re-sign Kak.  Have him as the backup, if he turns out.

But then they are stuck with Allen.

That's not exactly smart.

Should have just traded for Kak, if they are going hunting.

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Are you suggesting they tried to tear down but just couldn't do it effectively?  The Flames are in a very similar situation with Huberdeau and Kadri.  Committed long term to win now but the team probably should go in another direction.

I mean, it's about being honest with your own team.  It's about intellectual honesty as Feaster use to put it.  I think if a team misses two straight playoffs with a veteran core, then it should be a wake up call.  It's time to rebuild.

I think comparing Huberdeau and Kadri to Karlsson, Couture, Burns, Vlasic and Jones is comparing apples to watermelons, that's 17.5 vs. 40.25, and that excludes the Kane contract they luckily got out of.  

Fitzgerald Regarding Conroy and the #flames : "There is a market. People performing have set that market. All I'm trying to do is be fair in that market, but you also need a team that wants to make fair deals, too, versus just extorting you for every big asset you have."

Fitzgerald Regarding Conroy and the #flames : "There is a market. People performing have set that market. All I'm trying to do is be fair in that market, but you also need a team that wants to make fair deals, too, versus just extorting you for every big asset you have."

That is a pretty hilarious response.  He continues to dig himself into quite a hole

• Like 1

Didn't know the ask was the Hughes brothers, Nemec and Bratt.

Just now, sak22 said:

Didn't know the ask was the Hughes brothers, Nemec and Bratt.

Considering they got little for Toffoli, paid for two goalies, and did little else, I don't know what they thought a top goalie would go for.  D going for 1st ++.  Hertyl going for a bunch.  Guentzel going for a bunch.  NJ has top paid players on long term deals.  The rest of the F are young players or over the hill cheapos.  A 1st and a player you trash is not going to win you any trades.  And who knows what year 1st.

1 hour ago, redfire11 said:

Fitz trying to calm the masses after a brutal trade deadline.

Yup I believe he totally blew his chances for Markstrom and is now trying to mitigate collateral damage…I bet he got similar answers from Bos and Nas and burned those bridges so Allen and Kaapo where all he was able to scrap

together…probably would have been cheaper in the long run to have just got the deal done and met Conroy’s asking price…which TBH he hasn’t been horrible with in terms of Lindhom, Toffoil, Hanifin or Tanev…I’d suggest Conroy wasn’t “extorting” anything just set a price and wasn’t gonna move off it for Pennie’s on the dollar…now NJD need to probably still pay the asking price plus what they waisted away today for total junk…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

funniest thing I've seen all day .. was obviously thinking he was doing US a favor LOL.. Good on Connie for setting his price .. and really , if Holtz was the offer then he just basically admitted he was offering us garbage ( in his eyes)

To be fair could also be taking a shot at Nash too.. they wanted Holtz, Mercer a first a second and a prospect for Saros 

Here's the vid of Fitzgerald speaking to that.

He seems to feel that based on history, "this guy got that, so why would you ask for this?"  Suggesting Conroy has perhaps no grounds to have asked for the players he did.  Makes you wonder why discussions even got to the point of Conroy asking Markstrom about possibly waiving to go to NJD.

We will have to see if the Flames and Devils can work out a deal this summer.

I'll say this too...purely speculation but this sounds like a guy who would agree to a deal. Get buyer's remorse and come back and say " thought about it more and the only way we can do it is if you retain".. then not budge when told it will cost more