Realistic (and unrealistic) Trades - 2024 Edition

travel_dude

4 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Poitras is also out for the year with a shoulder injury.

Not a doctor nor do I know the scope of the injury but given he is a future piece that doesn't change my opinion of it. 

I can see where it feels underwhelming but as I've said for a while I don't think Hanifin is viewed the same outside of Calgary as he is here, or by some fans. 

Because of their need at center, when I looked at the teams rumored to be on Hanifin I think there were 2 plan As for the Flames. 

Can you get Poitras out of Boston

Can you get Lundell out of Florida

If you can get 1 of those 2 pieces plus a pick or 2 you've done well IMO. No idea if there is validity to this or not but I think you are doing well if you get Poitras from Boston. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cross16 said:

Yeah it’s not. Nashville hasn’t committed to moving Saros where flames are open on Markstrom. Weeks ago it was reported Devils were looking at a few goalies 

Not saying it will happen but I don’t think it’s dead. 

People like Lebrun were speculating a few weeks ago that Byfield for Saros would be a starting point for LA to acquire Saros.

Holy crap, Conroy needs to sneak in there and do Markstrom for Byfield.  Add whatever it takes.

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

People like Lebrun were speculating a few weeks ago that Byfield for Saros would be a starting point for LA to acquire Saros.

Holy crap, Conroy needs to sneak in there and do Markstrom for Byfield.  Add whatever it takes.

I don't know if LA if listening on Byfield.  Makes sense teams would ask, but I don't know if he's being shopped around.  Would be really dumb of Blake if he is.

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

So you think LA has done that and Nashville has said no? Nashville would dot hat in a heartbeat IMO. 

I find that those trade insiders may know the teams involved but they really overshoot the values. they had Lindholm worth Byram and a first and then we see what Lindholm actually gets moved for. 

Byfield has finally starting to look like a player so don't see the logic of him getting moved

On the Boston rumor i will say I'd be surprised if BOS were going to trade both Grzelcyk and Forbort. That really guts the left side of their depth, especially with Lindholm hurt. 

it sounds like that Boston reporter was giving his opinion and not a rumor so see what happens

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

On the Boston rumor i will say I'd be surprised if BOS were going to trade both Grzelcyk and Forbort. That really guts the left side of their depth, especially with Lindholm hurt. 

it sounds like that Boston reporter was giving his opinion and not a rumor so see what happens

Agreed it’s more of a rumour 

38 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Because of their need at center, when I looked at the teams rumored to be on Hanifin I think there were 2 plan As for the Flames. 

If you can get 1 of those 2 pieces plus a pick or 2 you've done well IMO. No idea if there is validity to this or not but I think you are doing well if you get Poitras from Boston. 

I guess I am just not that high Poitras, he was really underwhelming at the WJC, which is a small sample size. He is pretty small for center. I am willing to be wrong, and maybe I am being too harsh on him as a future piece. 

4 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I guess I am just not that high Poitras, he was really underwhelming at the WJC, which is a small sample size. He is pretty small for center. I am willing to be wrong, and maybe I am being too harsh on him as a future piece. 

I hate the WJC as a measuring stick.  Whole team was pretty underwhelming.  Curtis Lazar was great in those tournaments, Brayden Schenn and Trevor Zegras had legendary tournaments and are not superstars in the NHL, list goes on and on.  Its a fun tournament for the moment, but not a fortune telling tournament on who will do what as professionals.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

Not sure if the last part is his guess at the package, but it’s pretty underwhelming.

Poitras has been overhyped because the Bruins rushed him to the NHL because they needed cheap players. Grzelcyk and Forbort don’t add any value. 

If I see another Forbort suggest I may vomit.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I would first lean towards a Lundell return.

Not sure what else, but he's the kind of C we should be targeting before he is untouchable.

As long as Hanifin will re-sign (or sign and trade), FLA might consider it. 

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Not sure if the last part is his guess at the package, but it’s pretty underwhelming.

Poitras has been overhyped because the Bruins rushed him to the NHL because they needed cheap players. Grzelcyk and Forbort don’t add any value. 

is it a deal?

I'd be pretty excited if the Flames could land Poitras.

I know Boston lose Bergeron and Krejci last year, so there was openings down the middle. But it's really hard to make the Boston Bruins as a 1st year pro.

Lohrei looked really good last night. Can't see the Bruins moving him.

I wouldn't mind the Flames acquiring Grzelcyk either. Eat half and I think you ge ta 3rd at the TDL

18 hours ago, travel_dude said:

If I see another Forbort suggest I may vomit.

I dont get people's hate on Forbort ... We had a small sample of him here ..but his time there and then seeing him with Winnipeg and now Boston, he steady.. he's physical ..plays a simple effective game.... He's a great 3rd pairing guy.. good on the pk.. only reason Id be against getting him in a trade is he's a UFA 

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

I dont get people's hate on Forbort ... We had a small sample of him here ..but his time there and then seeing him with Winnipeg and now Boston, he steady.. he's physical ..plays a simple effective game.... He's a great 3rd pairing guy.. good on the pk.. only reason Id be against getting him in a trade is he's a UFA 

Same.  I liked Forbort.  He's the prototypical big stay at home D.  PK and shut down.  Steady steady.  He's the classic D that teams win with.

I get he's on the slow side and the game is faster than before.  He's not flashy.  He's boring.  But no matter how the game changes, you still need a shut down D.

19 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Same.  I liked Forbort.  He's the prototypical big stay at home D.  PK and shut down.  Steady steady.  He's the classic D that teams win with.

I get he's on the slow side and the game is faster than before.  He's not flashy.  He's boring.  But no matter how the game changes, you still need a shut down D.

Except the teams that he's on.

2 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

Well, he's 31 turning 32 in March so there's that.

And yes a pending UFA that was making $3.5M actual.

It's not perhaps a fair thing to say he played poorly for us in his 7 games and 11 playoff games.

I guess we didn't want to offer him the $1M he signed for in WPG.

Now if you stack him up in a UFA situation against Oesterle, where the two would be signing for $1M.....

But we are talking about trades here.

Trades involving sending a 27 year old for a 31 year included, yes I may vomit.

Wasn't sure where to put this but the Flames sure won't be missing Ruzicka. There is a video online if you want to go and look but i'm going to refrain from posting it. 

Probably someone who needs help

21 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Wasn't sure where to put this but the Flames sure won't be missing Ruzicka. There is a video online if you want to go and look but i'm going to refrain from posting it. 

I don't know if this was an issue prior to his injury in NYC, but the guys seems to have lost it since then.  Post injury he was never the same.  Hope he gets help with his mental health struggles.  

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

I don't know if this was an issue prior to his injury in NYC, but the guys seems to have lost it since then.  Post injury he was never the same.  Hope he gets help with his mental health struggles.  

Using cocaine isn't a mental health struggle, it also isn't an automatic addiction.  It is quite commonplace in the NHL whether people want to admit it or not, more are able to stop on their own then need assistance.  This video didn't strike me as a cry for help but more as what these Gen-Z will call clout chasing, hope it doesn't become an issue for him but I'm not sending my sympathies I save that for the ones who need help and don't glorify it.

1 minute ago, sak22 said:

Using cocaine isn't a mental health struggle, it also isn't an automatic addiction.  It is quite commonplace in the NHL whether people want to admit it or not, more are able to stop on their own then need assistance.  This video didn't strike me as a cry for help but more as what these Gen-Z will call clout chasing, hope it doesn't become an issue for him but I'm not sending my sympathies I save that for the ones who need help and don't glorify it.

Since you have no idea what others that have entered the NHL Player Assistance program were doing prior, you have no way of knowing this isn't the same thing.  Did he get addicted to Oxy when he had the injury in the fall?    

Anyway, I don't like to watch car crashes, so I won't bother with this story.  Too bad.  He seemed like an okay kid prior to playing down the lineup under Sutter.  Was always question about consistency, not anything else.  

57 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Yikes.  Too bad, I thought he was trending very well at one point but it's all a waste.