Realistic (and unrealistic) Trades - 2024 Edition

travel_dude

2 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

I'm worried we're almost getting roped Into an Iggy like scenario..  who knows how reliable or legit the source is but seravilli Isnt one to make stuff up.. somebody told him this...

If true .. other teams are less likely to go all on if they believe they have no hope of signing him... He'll still fetch a good rental price ..but the lure of resigning him or a sign and trade definitely ups the ante..  now likely only Tampa can do that and they don't have much..and they have the supposed luxury ad well as just waiting til summer to get him for free so you can't even hold them hostage ..

Tho tbh that 2026 first could be a steal if they are in decline but I want more than that 

That's on Conroy if they do. Hanifin only has an 8 team no trade where Iggy had a full NMC.  Conroy has plenty of other opportunities to try and drive the price up. There should be no getting backed into a corner. 

No i'm sure Seravelli doesn't lie but I also think he slants things quite a bit. This is the same guy who went out of his way to try and convince people that Hart's and Dube's absence had nothing to do with the WJ scandal. He's had to walk himself back on a number of fronts recently, especially with the Flames.  I personally take Seravelli with a big grain of salt these days

TB lottery picked the picks they sent Nashville for Tanner Jeannot so i think your going to have a bear of a time trying to get them to give you unprotected 1st in 2026. 

You can make an OK trade with Tampa. I do like Isaac Howard. Names like Jack Thompson and Ethan Gauthier are interesting names. Couple that with a few dice rolls like goalie Amir Miftakahov Or Jason Shaugabay you might be able to squeeze a quantity style deal. 

so something like:

Jannott

Howard

Gauthier

Thompson

Draft pick

Isn't good but it's not terrible. For sure the Flames should be wanting to deal with other teams but Tampa may be more willing to throw pieces in the deal with their window. 

3 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I'm worried we're almost getting roped Into an Iggy like scenario..  who knows how reliable or legit the source is but seravilli Isnt one to make stuff up.. somebody told him this...

If true .. other teams are less likely to go all on if they believe they have no hope of signing him... He'll still fetch a good rental price ..but the lure of resigning him or a sign and trade definitely ups the ante..  now likely only Tampa can do that and they don't have much..and they have the supposed luxury ad well as just waiting til summer to get him for free so you can't even hold them hostage ..

Tho tbh that 2026 first could be a steal if they are in decline but I want more than that 

There are ways around it.  Teams may ask to talk to the player/agent or may want a sign and trade.  If they traded now, then that team have a short window to sign or get commitment from the player.  A sign and trade works if he wants to go to a certain place.  I think the Tampa noise is just that.  Noise.   

Iggy was a franchise player and had to agree to the trade.  Hanifin only has so much leverage.  I think we are making a mountain out of nothing.  We may not like the trade so much, but I don't think it has anything to do wtih Tampa.    

Boston has a a healthy points cushion but wonder if this picks up their rumored interest of Hanifin. 

I think if the Flames are going to deal Hanifin it shouldn't wait until the deadline. if it does that would suggest the market isn't as robust as we think. 

Eklund is saying that Vegas is in on Tanev, as well as the Devils, Leafs, Lightning and Jets.

He is also saying that Montreal might come in and be a 3rd party to to take some cap to facilitate the Markstrom trade to NJ.

I know it's Eklund so you have to take everything with a grain of salt, but I can't see Montreal agreeing to take a portion of Markstrom's cap for the next few years. I also don't get why Calgary would pay to have another eat cap when they are capable of eating that cap themselves.

16 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Eklund is saying that Vegas is in on Tanev, as well as the Devils, Leafs, Lightning and Jets.

He is also saying that Montreal might come in and be a 3rd party to to take some cap to facilitate the Markstrom trade to NJ.

I know it's Eklund so you have to take everything with a grain of salt, but I can't see Montreal agreeing to take a portion of Markstrom's cap for the next few years. I also don't get why Calgary would pay to have another eat cap when they are capable of eating that cap themselves.

MTL is trying to take another one of our first round picks.  It better be for Huberdeau.

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

These are good points and Thought it was up to the gaining team to pay…Especially in this case Cgy has absolutely no need of a 3rd party to make a deal 

15 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

It seems NJD is pivoting to Saros now.  Flames missing out on an opportunity to turn Markstrom into assets... I wonder what NSH will get from NJD.

that sucks! Maybe set a tone if another team wants Marky? I dunno. Flames could be playing with Fire, or they just might not wanna give up Marky that bad.

3 hours ago, robrob74 said:

that sucks! Maybe set a tone if another team wants Marky? I dunno. Flames could be playing with Fire, or they just might not wanna give up Marky that bad.

Sounds like Markstrom waived and Conroy liked the returns from NJD.  However, something fell apart when it came to salary retention.  Maybe a third team can come in to eat cap.  Otherwise, it might be a dead deal.

9 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Sounds like Markstrom waived and Conroy liked the returns from NJD.  However, something fell apart when it came to salary retention.  Maybe a third team can come in to eat cap.  Otherwise, it might be a dead deal.

I think it was suggested that the cost of retention was the issue.  In other words, what NJ was willing to give up to have CGY retain.  I believe that was the sticking point, but doesn't mean things are dead.  If they want a goalie, they have to pay for it.  NAS is looking for 2x1st + top prospect, so that's what you the option is there.  

26 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I guess there's been rumours/suggestions on the net that NJD was interested in Saros since last week so it's not new.

Yeah it’s not. Nashville hasn’t committed to moving Saros where flames are open on Markstrom. Weeks ago it was reported Devils were looking at a few goalies 

Not saying it will happen but I don’t think it’s dead. 

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

ownership tends to let deals get to the point and then they say no. Wonder if they can say "hey, send us the ideas on certain deals, so that we don't let it get to the point where teams agree and we say no." 

like on ones like this one, ask ownership first.

26 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

ownership tends to let deals get to the point and then they say no. Wonder if they can say "hey, send us the ideas on certain deals, so that we don't let it get to the point where teams agree and we say no." 

like on ones like this one, ask ownership first.

This is one where a bunch of people are stating very different things.  One insider says he hasn't been asked to waive yet, others say he has and has agreed, some have said a deal was close who knows what is true.  Things I've heard are not completely about the team unwilling to retain, but New Jersey not willing to pay the price to entice the Flames to retain.

• Like 1

It really comes down to what does NJ want?

Saros is younger and you can argue has a higher ceiling. Although this has been a down year. If you’re the Devils though, do you want to pay him 40-50 million. That’s what the best extension will cost. Sorokin just signed 8.25x8. That’s likely a comp.

Markstrom is older. But there’s only two more years left. Which is a long time at that position, given its volatility.

Probably comes down to stylistic preference. Do you want the bigger goalie or the smaller one? Would you rather have this goalie for two years or eight?

I think it’s very premature to bring ownership into this. 

I think it’s clear they’ve talked but as clear they haven’t settled on a price. Rumors are Devils are wanting a big chunk of markstroms contract retained and Conroy is driving a hard bargain to get them to compensate the flames for that retention. 

is he asking too much? Time will tell but it’s too early to point fingers imo. 

10 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I think the truth is somewhere in the middle .. reports he waived and reports he didnt . I get the sense it never hit that level.. but if nj made a starting offer that peaked Conroy's interest to keep talking I can totally see an informal reach out just to ask " hey. Is NJ a place you'd consider playing " just to guage if there was any point in having the conversation....and then the actual conversation died on the vine ..

Much like how a  team calls Calgary and asks if Anderson is available and suddenly " Anderson is on the block " .. 

41 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I think the truth is somewhere in the middle .. reports he waived and reports he didnt . I get the sense it never hit that level.. but if nj made a starting offer that peaked Conroy's interest to keep talking I can totally see an informal reach out just to ask " hey. Is NJ a place you'd consider playing " just to guage if there was any point in having the conversation....and then the actual conversation died on the vine ..

Much like how a  team calls Calgary and asks if Anderson is available and suddenly " Anderson is on the block " .. 

Well, I don't think Connie would ever get into deep negotiations with NJ without asking Markstrom if he would waive.  Too many people reporting the negotiations for it to be false. 

With Ras, all it was said was that teams were calling about him and that only a knockout offer would even be considered.  What else should you say.  Who from the team is untouchable where a huge overpay wouldn't result in a trade?  You also say that it has to be a huge offer, so that teams don't just walk away.  As a GM you should always do due diligence; drive up offers, explore trades proposed. 

So, I don't think you can compare Ras talk with Markstrom or Hanifn or Tanev.      

20 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Well, I don't think Connie would ever get into deep negotiations with NJ without asking Markstrom if he would waive.  Too many people reporting the negotiations for it to be false. 

I think there is room for both to be true. The ask to waive a clause is formal and requires the player to actually sign off on it and I don't think any player is going to do that until the deal is agreed upon and the destination known. Clearly this trade never got to this point. 

there is also the more general "hey we are either looking to move your or are we receiving calls from team x, we want to pursue are you ok with that". This would not be binding so player would reserve the right to still axe the deal if they wanted but it would give the team some confidence to pursue a deal. 

IMO that's why you have conflicting reports here. Markstrom was never asked to waive the clause because no deal was made but doesn't mean there was never a conversation between he and the Flames. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I think there is room for both to be true. The ask to waive a clause is formal and requires the player to actually sign off on it and I don't think any player is going to do that until the deal is agreed upon and the destination known. Clearly this trade never got to this point. 

there is also the more general "hey we are either looking to move your or are we receiving calls from team x, we want to pursue are you ok with that". This would not be binding so player would reserve the right to still axe the deal if they wanted but it would give the team some confidence to pursue a deal. 

IMO that's why you have conflicting reports here. Markstrom was never asked to waive the clause because no deal was made but doesn't mean there was never a conversation between he and the Flames. 

Well I seriously doubt you go very far in negotiations without the player being asked if he would waive.

They wouldn't just approach him and say we have 5 teams we want to trade you to, it would be specific.

You would want to treat the player with kid gloves because if you end up not moving him, you mess it up

with the player.  So, ask him if NJ would be okay, but only because you know they are serious.  He earned that right and has full control over movement.

57 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Well I seriously doubt you go very far in negotiations without the player being asked if he would waive.

They wouldn't just approach him and say we have 5 teams we want to trade you to, it would be specific.

You would want to treat the player with kid gloves because if you end up not moving him, you mess it up

with the player.  So, ask him if NJ would be okay, but only because you know they are serious.  He earned that right and has full control over movement.

You'd have to. Player is not going to agree to waive until the trade is done because part of the wavier is are you going to let me keep my clause. 

As i said, you can have a preliminary discussion but you likely don't get the final wavier until the deal is finished. 

Not sure if the last part is his guess at the package, but it’s pretty underwhelming.

Poitras has been overhyped because the Bruins rushed him to the NHL because they needed cheap players. Grzelcyk and Forbort don’t add any value. 

9 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Not sure if the last part is his guess at the package, but it’s pretty underwhelming.

Poitras has been overhyped because the Bruins rushed him to the NHL because they needed cheap players. Grzelcyk and Forbort don’t add any value. 

That's actually more than I thought Hanifin would return so I personally would not find that underwhelming.

I can understand where Poitras is overhyped but i still consider him a high end prospect. I don't think he's a top line guy but I think you've got yourself a potentially really good middle 6 center there.  That and a first is a good return for a pending UFA IMO. 

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

That's actually more than I thought Hanifin would return so I personally would not find that underwhelming.

I can understand where Poitras is overhyped but i still consider him a high end prospect. I don't think he's a top line guy but I think you've got yourself a potentially really good middle 6 center there.  That and a first is a good return for a pending UFA IMO. 

Poitras is also out for the year with a shoulder injury.