Andrei Kuzmenko

phoenix66

8 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

I'm beginning to understand why some Flames Fans will never get anywhere with their team building thinking.

When I said 40 goal scorers don't grow on trees. Lets look at our results:

40 goals scorers don't grow on trees for sure, but doing it once doesn't make you one that should be paid like one.  Jason Blake scored 40 once, never hit 30 any other year of his career.  Kuzmenko just has too small of sample size and other deficiencies in his game that don't make him one that you should commit to based on the one productive season. 

1 minute ago, phoenix66 said:

Well then we have a pickle don't we ... Conroy is on record as essentially saying his marching orders is to put a contender on the ice when we skate onto the new ice ..with construction starting this year that's now projected ad the 26-27 season...

You need veteran D to bring the kids along and insulate scoring from players who may bleed chances .. we've seen Kadri with Zary .. Huberdeau to a degree with yegor.. (I personally want to see him with Pelletier too) ..I'm extremely intrigued whether he and Andrei can mesh ..  we will never be bad enough to draft a Conner (nor is there one on the horizon I'm told ) ... You lose our the vets as soon as they get older next thing you know it's young guns all over again 

Yup they are but it’s the same pickle they’ve been in for 20 years. Ownership has unreasonable expectations so nothing new there. 

I’d love to be wrong but there is nothing about their style of games that tell me Kuzmenko and Huberdeau are gonna have success. Biggest being there isn’t a good center to put between them either. 

I actually think Kadri and Kuzmenko are the pairing the flames should be trying. 

Just now, sak22 said:

40 goals scorers don't grow on trees for sure, but doing it once doesn't make you one that should be paid like one.  Jason Blake scored 40 once, never hit 30 any other year of his career.  Kuzmenko just has too small of sample size and other deficiencies in his game that don't make him one that you should commit to based on the one productive season. 

And we all forget Jonathan Cheecho. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Yup they are but it’s the same pickle they’ve been in for 20 years. Ownership has unreasonable expectations so nothing new there. 

I’d love to be wrong but there is nothing about their style of games that tell me Kuzmenko and Huberdeau are gonna have success. Biggest being there isn’t a good center to put between them either. 

I actually think Kadri and Kuzmenko are the pairing the flames should be trying. 

That will be  the hard part ..as the line of Zary and Kadri is clicking ..you can't break it up..same with Backlund /Coleman...   Conroy hinted at Pospisil...  Also that Yegor plays center ..   he also made a weird comment about wanting to make a deal on"a 24 yr old center ".. seemed pretty specific to not be talking about somebody in particular.. 

Tbh I see them as a perfect match..  you have Huberdeau...and elite passer who can find anybody anywhere..and kuzmenko who gets to the scoring positions but since being taken away from Petterson nobody good enough to find him.. ..proof Is on the ice of course ..but on paper makes total sense 

12 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

That will be  the hard part ..as the line of Zary and Kadri is clicking ..you can't break it up..same with Backlund /Coleman...   Conroy hinted at Pospisil...  Also that Yegor plays center ..   he also made a weird comment about wanting to make a deal on"a 24 yr old center ".. seemed pretty specific to not be talking about somebody in particular.. 

Tbh I see them as a perfect match..  you have Huberdeau...and elite passer who can find anybody anywhere..and kuzmenko who gets to the scoring positions but since being taken away from Petterson nobody good enough to find him.. ..proof Is on the ice of course ..but on paper makes total sense 

24 and under.  Not really a weird comment IMO, the biggest weakness the organization has had so wants to look for external help, depending on cost and player I don't have many issues with trying to acquire a younger C.  Might not be successful in that search but the pipeline is razor thin.  There is no guarantee that everyone heading to the draft listed as a C will be a C in the NHL.

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

it’s really simple. You don’t. 

the only way this club is going to become a contender is the draft. Either they are bad enough to get lower picks or they get enough picks through the draft to hopefully get lucky with another Gaudreau type. Failung all of that you get enough marketable assets that maybe you can pull of some trades. 

you don’t get to contending status by overpaying 30 year olds. That’s how you stay middling. Which is why I’m more interested in whatever Kuzmenko can return then I am in keeping him. 

overpaying Huberdeau, Lindholm, Hanifin and just slightly Kadri (when signed was a bit of overpay), none are elite players. 

one of you, conundrum, travel or sak or someone else said months ago that the pay needs to go to keep the elite talent. 

I'd prefer the flames create a salary hierarchy by allotting money where it should be kind of like a few teams that do that.

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

my biggest gripe for a phrase would be, "you can't break it up." You have to try things to know what you got. We lose Bennett because we didn't even try him as a center for Tkachuk or Gaudreau for long enough because you couldn't break up Monahan and Gaudreau or Tkachuk with Backlund. Play players where they should be played...

I think we are seeing Zary succeed because he is slotted well in the top6. As long as he's playing with talent I think you gotta try different things.

What Flames fans are getting.  Last year and at some points this season Kuzmenko shows his talents are world class. Not just his goal scoring but his vision and passing abilities are on full display when he's on his game.  Right now Kuzy has low confidence and is a bit shy going to the net this year unlike last year when he was fearless.  He can get that back. He was never given a chance to get out of Tocchet's doghouse.  Very strong player, power forward level strength and out muscling opponents off him in the offensive zone is a signature of Kuzmenko.  He needs to work on his play when he doesn't have the puck.  Overall you're getting a very talented star player that hasn't had his full potential unlocked just yet.    He is an astonishing Big Game player who scores big goals. Whether it's tying up the game in the late seconds or scoring the winner in OT.  He can do it all.. and he's has legendary meme worthy hair.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

RE 

ebba1f5b886dcbddacaacb2c11c2a9d5.png

Thank you for creating an account and making this post your first one.

I'm a big Kuzmenko fan.  A big enough fan that I created this account to post about Kuzy.  He has so much more to give and Flames fans are in for a real treat when he gets his confidence back. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

I'm a big Kuzmenko fan.  A big enough fan that I created this account to post about Kuzy.  He has so much more to give and Flames fans are in for a real treat when he gets his confidence back. 

Welcome !! Having watched quite a few Van games I have concluded that when Kuz is focussed and on his game he is a Force. Exactly what the Flames need. Hopefully he stays motivated and if so will quickly become a fan favorite.

2 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

It's only one game . But you could definitely see some immediate chemistry with Hubie.. keep building on that and we just may have gotten Huberdeau the outlet he's been looking for ..

I keep telling myself that.  Huberdeau was commenting about give and go.  How you make a pass then get open.  For two players that had but maybe one practice, they sure looked like they knew each other's habits.  Maybe what we are seeing is two high IQ players thinking the game at the same speed.  Too early to tell.  We can play pack mentality against some teams and have success.  But we have to shoot to score.  Kadri commented about Huberdeau's goal but also said that he need to do that a lot more.  One sequence last night where Hubey had the puck, which reminded me of a Pospisil goal (maybe his first one).  Pospisil delayed until the goalie was down and out then wristed it more than 2 feet off the ice.  Huberdeau saw that same situation but decided he would pass it into the slot.  

Kuzmenko maybe had 3 good chances and scored on one.  Huberdeau had a couple and scored on one.  Sharky maybe was fighting it being in the middle.  He did okay, just not the usual Sharky.  Kuzmenko seemed to take his spot on the PP.  I like what Kadri's line looks with Pospisil.  Maybe not always a real 2nd line but they bring it every game.  Would Sharky be better there than Pospisil?  Perhaps.  Then maybe you move him to Backlund and Coleman line.  

Wrong place for it, but just some general impressions:

- need a top C to play with Huberdeau and Kuzmenko

- Sharky to 2nd line WR

- Pospisil to 3LW.

- Mangiapane becomes a trade option

- use Tanev, Hanifin and Mangiapane to improve the top 6 C and add a decent younger LD

- stock up draft picks and prospects with any remaining trade pieces coming in

On 2/5/2024 at 4:59 PM, Pure961089 said:

I'm a fan as well.      That says something, because I'm usually a defence-first guy.   But I like Kuzy and I feel he's misunderstood.

I said it before, and I'll say it again.

I'm not sure we got worse on the ice losing Lindholm for Kuzy.    I'm really not sure we got worse.

Not that I'm worried about the draft pick situation, because we were terrible before the trade lol

4 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I'm a fan as well.      That says something, because I'm usually a defence-first guy.   But I like Kuzy and I feel he's misunderstood.

I'm not sure we got worse on the ice losing Lindholm for Kuzy.    I'm really not sure we got worse.

Not that I'm worried about the draft pick situation, because we were terrible before the trade lol

Agreed. Maybe not as great defensively now but better offensively.

Powerplay unit 1 looked a lot more dangerous with Kuzmenko instead of Lindholm. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

💯.. I've always been a big proponent of let the player do what they do best ..always good to learn some new skills ..sure ..but don't stifle what they do..

Kuzmenko isn't paid to defrnd ..he's paid to put the puck In the net..  in just one game i saw he knows Instinctively where to be to do that..just needs someone who can make a pinpoint pass... Which Huberdeau does well..(and so does Petterson..hence 39 goals)..   since Hubie has been here..I've seen so many passes to perfect scoring positions ..but nobody was there .. that is the difference

Rhett warrener made a career out "off the glass and out " .. simple defense ..play physical..  know your role and do it well...  

I remember being so utterly ticked off when we traded Kent Nilsson..reaeon being his defense was so bad..but that wasn't what he was paid to do..   (in hindsight due to the trade tree it created I learned to accept it )  but it really made me mad at the time 

I forget the name of the player ..Russian I think... Played and bounced around for years usually the deadline .. player for Montreal at least once maybe twice... But his big knock was he sucked at defense...but usually scored 25-30 goals a year 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

I don't really care about whether we got worse as a result of the trade.  It's not a one for one trade, so that part doesn't matter.  We lost our 1, which is important for the future.  But the future could not stand to have EL being paid as a 1C for 2C quality or performance.  Last year he may have been closer to that level, but not close this year.  In a contract year, you have to be able to show your true value.  We will need to address the missing man in trades, prospects and the draft.  When I say trades, I don't mean trading for a Duchene (no matter how good he is).  Think paying a premium for a young or younger C like Mittlestadt, Jarvis, MacTavish, Cirelli.

What do we have to offer?  Young-ish D, young-ish top 6 LW (Mange), etc.  Maybe I value our players too much, but teams seem to love our players.

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

💯.. I've always been a big proponent of let the player do what they do best ..always good to learn some new skills ..sure ..but don't stifle what they do..

Kuzmenko isn't paid to defrnd ..he's paid to put the puck In the net..  in just one game i saw he knows Instinctively where to be to do that..just needs someone who can make a pinpoint pass... Which Huberdeau does well..(and so does Petterson..hence 39 goals)..   since Hubie has been here..I've seen so many passes to perfect scoring positions ..but nobody was there .. that is the difference

Rhett warrener made a career out "off the glass and out " .. simple defense ..play physical..  know your role and do it well...  

I remember being so utterly ticked off when we traded Kent Nilsson..reaeon being his defense was so bad..but that wasn't what he was paid to do..   (in hindsight due to the trade tree it created I learned to accept it )  but it really made me mad at the time 

I forget the name of the player ..Russian I think... Played and bounced around for years usually the deadline .. player for Montreal at least once maybe twice... But his big knock was he sucked at defense...but usually scored 25-30 goals a year 

Not Bure? I Kovalev? 

6 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

Lindholm wasn't a 1 C when we traded for him but we made him one. Who's to say we don't already have a 1 C in our lineup just waiting to be elevated. Now is the time to explore options.

What you are saying makes sense.  But who fits the bill?

Zary is an obvious choice but so is Sharky.

I think given how we have our top 9 set up, moving Zary to C doesn't make a lot of sense.

Not that I am against breaking up the Kadri line for what if scenarios, just that how do you fill the gaps?

And you can't just throw Zary out in 17 minutes playing C.

For instance, this might be the impact:

Huberdeau-Kadri-Kuz

Pospisil-Zary-Sharky

3rd line

4th line

That's not a huge amount of change, but is it any better exploring than Sharky at C?

I think we should be looking for the same type player as Lindholm was at the time.

An underused winger that is really a C.

16 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think we should be looking for the same type player as Lindholm was at the time.

An underused winger that is really a C.

exactly.

Right now we don't know if Sharky can become a 1 C. But we need to explore that possibility. I feel Kadri is where he needs to be. 2nd line center with a line of young hard workers.